Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
All of this talk about numbers and levels and qualifications makes my head spin.  

Don't people just meet, hit it off, fall in love and get married anymore?  I picture people walking around a bar with a checklist and spreadsheets.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of this talk about numbers and levels and qualifications makes my head spin.  

Don't people just meet, hit it off, fall in love and get married anymore?  I picture people walking around a bar with a checklist and spreadsheets.
View Quote

You're on my spreadsheet...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Years ago I was sitting in the crew van going to the hotel with the FO and 4 flight attendants.

They were talking about a football game.

One with big hair from TX asks me what I think of the game. I told her I don't watch football.  She makes a comment about baseball then. I said I don't follow baseball either. She asks what sport I follow. I told her I don't.

She says" you don't watch games on TV" I said no.

She asks what I do instead. I responded with, hiking, climbing, shooting, making stuff.

She looks at the other FA and says " Damnit, I settled too soon"

View Quote

That's awesome!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, it's like there's no balance anymore.  Relying solely on following your heart can get you into trouble but viewing everyone as if they're a business asset (what can they DO for me) isn't the answer.  

Obviously not speaking TO you....just using my reply to expand on my thoughts above a bit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
she looks like a typical lesbian?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm 50, been divorced for 11 years. I'm having a blast.

I've dated a 49 year old, a 36, 34, 33, 32, and a 28 year old. I've been asked out on a date by a 22 year old.

It's not hard, and there's tons of beautiful, interesting, smart, and funny women out there.

What you bring to the relationship is what you deal with. Expect goodtimes and have a postiive outlook, you'll get it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Look no further then internet dating sites. Where consumers and goods meet. Where you post your qualities like a description of product so others can shop and hopefully pick you. It is all a numbers game. Ratings and odds.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Personally I think it lends her credibility amongst the ones who actually need to pick up what she's putting down.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've found that a lot of what the media spreads about dating difficulties and "rules" is BS.

People are people, always have been, always will be.

Might sound cliche', but be yourself, be respectful, and have fun.

Always worked for me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Every time her videos get posted there are always comments like these by those who never bothered to watch.  Makes me wonder just how much of the bitchin' done by men is simply a matter of overlooking the obvious in order to confirm their own bias.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Needs to spend more time cleaning her kitchen and less time bitchin'.

Every time her videos get posted there are always comments like these by those who never bothered to watch.  Makes me wonder just how much of the bitchin' done by men is simply a matter of overlooking the obvious in order to confirm their own bias.

Shhhhh....

Haven't watched but also haven't bitched.  If I can get these 5 kids to calm down and quit destroying the house I'll try.  Any female gripes I may post are directed to and about specific females not the gender as a whole.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Look no further then internet dating sites. Where consumers and goods meet. Where you post your qualities like a description of product so others can shop and hopefully pick you. It is all a numbers game. Ratings and odds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That still doesn't explain the *shopping* mindset.  

Granted, I was married before the damn internet even came out (for average residential use) but I've looked around on singles' sites and, as far as I know, it's not very different from picking someone appealing out from the crowd and approaching them.  You're actually a little better off because you've got potential red flags and warning signs right there in the pics/description that you can avoid completely instead of being ambushed by them in a face-to-face contact.  

I guess I've just never viewed people as something that needs to be dissected and parsed and *graded*.  IMO, you either click with someone or you don't and all the numbers in the world aren't going to change that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

POF worked for my fiancé.
View Quote

So, who is your fiance seeing?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've found that a lot of what the media spreads about dating difficulties and "rules" is BS.

Always worked for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always worked for me.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Shhhhh....

Haven't watched but also haven't bitched.  If I can get these 5 kids to calm down and quit destroying the house I'll try.  Any female gripes I may post are directed to and about specific females not the gender as a whole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhhh....

You've got your head on straight then.  In spite of the 5 kids.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around. It's all so

People aren't numbers. They don't fit into convenient little categories. Maybe that's where these folks are going wrong.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From Kevin Sorbo's facebook page. Yes, the Hercules guy. Conservative Christian 2A constitutionalist guy.

Joke of the day:

A store that sells new husbands has opened, where a woman may go to choose a husband. Among the instructions at the entrance is a description of how the store operates:

You may visit this store ONLY ONCE! There are six floors and the value of the products increase as the shopper ascends the flights. The shopper may choose any item from a particular floor, or may choose to go up to the next floor, but you cannot go back down except to exit the building!

So, a woman goes to the Husband Store to find a husband. On the first floor the sign on the door reads:

Floor 1 - These Men Have Jobs

She is intrigued, but continues to the second floor, where the sign reads:

Floor 2 - These Men Have Jobs and Love Kids.

'That's nice,' she thinks, 'but I want more.'

So she continues upward. The third-floor sign reads:

Floor 3 - These Men Have Jobs, Love Kids, and are Extremely Good Looking.

'Wow,' she thinks, but feels compelled to keep going.

She goes to the fourth floor and the sign reads:

Floor 4 - These Men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Good Looking and Help With Housework.

'Oh, mercy me!' she exclaims, 'I can hardly stand it!'

Still, she goes to the fifth floor and the sign reads:

Floor 5 - These Men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Gorgeous, Help with Housework, and Have a Strong Romantic Streak.

She is so tempted to stay, but she goes to the sixth floor, where the sign reads:

Floor 6 - You are visitor 31,456,012 to this floor. There are no men on this floor. This floor exists solely as proof that women are impossible to please. Thank you for shopping at the Husband Store.

PLEASE NOTE:

To avoid gender bias charges, the store's owner opened a New Wives store just across the street.

The first floor has wives that love sex.

The second floor has wives that love sex, have money and like beer

The third, fourth, fifth and sixth floors have never been visited.
View Quote

LOL.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:...
Okay, so where does a- 5 on a good day, financially stable, educated, slightly chubby single mom that doesn't actually expect to get married again- go on that list?
View Quote

For this sort of stuff, I'd objectively state that people generally deserve where they put themselves.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Seriously, it's like there's no balance anymore.  Relying solely on following your heart can get you into trouble but viewing everyone as if they're a business asset (what can they DO for me) isn't the answer.  

Obviously not speaking TO you....just using my reply to expand on my thoughts above a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The spread sheet thing is more of a way to quantify things in an easily communicable manner. Most of my male friends don't care if their wife/girlfriend/random hookup/fuck buddy/what ever is a 6 or a 9. They're happy as it is, so they stick around.

The numers are more of way to communicate things in a clear and succinct manner. Yeah, it's not the most respectful way, but it works.

That's my take on the manner, at least. Show me a quality woman, and I won't dare throw numbers around to attempt to describe who she is or how she is. But in theoretical situations like this, I don't feel guilty. It's not like we are pinning numbers to any one real individual, as if that is all they are. We could go on for hours describing exactly how unattractive some one is, complete with all the sordid details. Or just call them "a five," and be done with the situation. Let their imagination fill in the details.

Some men and women use the numbers system in a way that suggests that higher numbers are all that they can achieve. These people end up lonely and broken. For the average guy in my age group (25 years old), it's just a method of communication. I'm not a big believer in reducing and objectifying people into a number, but some guys are. Stay away from those guys.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did.  The second I held her hand cosmic tumblers just fell into place and we've been happily married for many years.

We met in a bar, true story.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

You obviously didn't watch the first video.  Here's a shorter version on the same topic and you'll love the beginning of this one (it was on the right side panel of the first one on youtube)..
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Atleast I can point to this video when someone makes a douche remark about still being single.

It doesn't take but one friends divorce to make the rest of us gun shy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#22]
This chick is guilty and annoying and i'm only at 6 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Personally I think it lends her credibility amongst the ones who actually need to pick up what she's putting down.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep it means the ones that benefit the most won't immediately turn it off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny because it's true.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They're all in the "Friend Zone" where they were put.

View Quote

Succinct.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This chick is guilty and annoying and i'm only at 6 minutes.
View Quote

I only got about eighteen minutes in before I had to stop the video.  It's like a hybrid of Will Ferrell's voice immodulation syndrome skit and Google Translate audio.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I did.  The second I held her hand cosmic tumblers just fell into place and we've been happily married for many years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Similar story, I met my wife on a contract I was working.  Pretty much the moment I met here, I resolved that I was going to marry her.  It took almost 6 months for her to give me the time of day, but we ended up dating and are now happily married for 11 years.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The spread sheet thing is more of a way to quantify things in an easily communicable manner. Most of my male friends don't care if their wife/girlfriend/random hookup/fuck buddy/what ever is a 6 or a 9. They're happy as it is, so they stick around.

The numers are more of way to communicate things in a clear and succinct manner. Yeah, it's not the most respectful way, but it works.

That's my take on the manner, at least. Show me a quality woman, and I won't dare throw numbers around to attempt to describe who she is or how she is. But in theoretical situations like this, I don't feel guilty. It's not like we are pinning numbers to any one real individual, as if that is all they are. We could go on for hours describing exactly how unattractive some one is, complete with all the sordid details. Or just call them "a five," and be done with the situation. Let their imagination fill in the details.

Some men and women use the numbers system in a way that suggests that higher numbers are all that they can achieve. These people end up lonely and broken. For the average guy in my age group (25 years old), it's just a method of communication. I'm not a big believer in reducing and objectifying people into a number, but some guys are. Stay away from those guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I was talking about the stuff that presumably goes on in peoples' heads (like a 4 thinking she's an 8 and turning down 6s while holding out for a 9) on a day to day basis.  

And there's that oft-passed around Dear Abby submission from some chick who thinks she's the bee's knees and doesn't think there's anything wrong with being on the prowl for a rich man because she obviously deserves it.  It reads like something a bitter man wrote up in order to show what's wrong with women today but I admit there are some disturbed people out there, women included, so it could be true.  

It just all sounds incredibly unrealistic.  I just don't know that I've ever met someone who actually thinks that way.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's how you do it.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Shhhhh....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhhh....

I always speak of the opposite gender as a hole.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

She filmed it in the kitchen....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is perfectly appropriate...a woman's place is in the kitchen and the bedroom  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I just have absolutely no idea why some of you fellas can't find a good girl.  None at all.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's me!

I have a long list of things I'm looking for in my spouse and I don't feel like "settling" for the next best thing. Someday I'll  find the woman I want and I'll be able to look down the list and see:

Want Children? Check
Educated? Check
Have career and/or can maintain household? Check
Physically active? Check
Like the outdoors? Check
Prefer rural living? Check
Similar religious views? Check
Similar politics? Check
Compatible life goals? Check
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#36]
There is a God ordained role for the sexes.  Stay within the parameters and life is good, venture out, shit breaks.  Mankind refuses to learn.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

POF worked for my fiancé.

Not sure, but he seems to make her really happy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's me!

I have a long list of things I'm looking for in my spouse and I don't feel like "settling" for the next best thing. Someday I'll  find the woman I want and I'll be able to look down the list and see:

Want Children? Check
Educated? Check
Physically active? Check
Like the outdoors? Check
Similar politics? Check
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's me!

Want Children? Check
Educated? Check
Physically active? Check
Like the outdoors? Check
Similar politics? Check

So what happens if you meet someone and feel that thunderbolt but they're short a point or two on your list?  

Or would you consider it settling if you can check off everything on the list but you don't feel the thunderbolt?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I just have absolutely no idea why some of you fellas can't find a good girl.  None at all.
View Quote

Please refer back to the shower thread.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So what happens if you meet someone and feel that thunderbolt but they're short a point or two on your list?  

Or would you consider it settling if you can check off everything on the list but you don't feel the thunderbolt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's me!

Want Children? Check
Educated? Check
Physically active? Check
Like the outdoors? Check
Similar politics? Check

Settling is a wasted life.

EDIT:
I mean in the sense of settling for someone.  If the thunderbolt hits, you are not settling, you hit pay dirt.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Okay, so where does a- 5 on a good day, financially stable, educated, slightly chubby single mom that doesn't actually expect to get married again- go on that list?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can someone give me cliff notes. She lost me after multiple air quotes.

Financially viable, 4 attractiveness, slightly overweight, non-drug-user hereosexual female = "I deserve a man who will value me as the princess that I am, and when I don't feel as if I'm valued as a princess, I will eject from the relationship and take half his paycheck with me"

Financially viable, 4 attractiveness, slightly overweight, non-drug-user heterosexual male = "Fuck, she won't give me the time of day"

Financially viable, 8 attractiveness, non-substance-abusing heterosexual male = "Fuck that noise, besides... she needs to work out"

That's what I got, anyone else?  Let's work as a team and see if we can piece this together.  C'mon guys, we can do this if we try.

Right to the top of my list.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Always worked for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Always worked for me.

Yup.  Do what you enjoy, have fun, wear a smile and women will let you know they are available.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That, or the "shitty things I've said to my honey" thread, or the "American Girls" thread, or any of the other numerous threads we've had recently and in days past.

Hell, some of them don't seem to want an actual woman at all. They want some sort of upgraded version of a dog. One that will fall at their feet regardless of whether they bathe, take care of themselves, act rude, shout and scream, or even hit them. One that lets them control every aspect of her life, including what and when she eats. One that knows a few extra tricks in addition to sit and stay, like "Lassie, clean! Lassie, cook! Lassie, blowjob!"

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's me!

Want Children? Check
Educated? Check
Physically active? Check
Like the outdoors? Check
Similar politics? Check

Yeah, thunderbolts are important! I think it would largely depend on what points they are and our ability to compromise. I don't expect to find EVERYTHING, but there are limits.

I was in a very serious relationship with a girl that liked the big city. That was her thing, going clubbing every night. She wouldn't even compromise on getting us out to the suburbs. That didn't sit well with me, dreaming of getting some acreage and doing the hobby farm thing. We were two people going in opposite directions in life so we separated. Sad, but neither would have been happy otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Bare foot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bare foot.

Holding a BLT sandwich she just made.

Honestly, there are times I'd settle for a woman that could actually cook.

Don't know how many times I've heard the phrase "I don't cook,'' yeah, that's a dealbreaker right there, EVERYONE, be they male or female, should be able to cook. If you can't, or if that's a phrase to let the other person know that eating out will be the norm  or housework is below them, that's a strike against you. [and yes, I DO cook, I don't bake simply because I suck at it because I can't change the ingredient amounts without really bad results happening]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Crying bitter tears, "Wah, men aren't valued anymore."

Next breath, "I refer to the opposite gender as a hole."  

Crying bitter tears, "Wah, American women are entitled princesses so I married an Asian.  She threw knives at me.  All women are evil."

Next breath, "Women are only needed in the kitchen and the bedroom."  

It would be almost funny if it were actual parody.  This is their reality though.  Bizarre.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah, thunderbolts are important! I think it would largely depend on what points they are and our ability to compromise. I don't expect to find EVERYTHING, but there are limits.

I was in a very serious relationship with a girl that liked the big city. That was her thing, going clubbing every night. She wouldn't even compromise on getting us out to the suburbs. That didn't sit well with me, dreaming of getting some acreage and doing the hobby farm thing. We were two people going in opposite directions in life so we separated. Sad, but neither would have been happy otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's me!

Want Children? Check
Educated? Check
Physically active? Check
Like the outdoors? Check
Similar politics? Check

Ok, that makes more sense.  I was just curious as to how the checklist actually worked in reality.  Carry on.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Crying bitter tears, "Wah, men aren't valued anymore."

Next breath, "I refer to the opposite gender as a hole."  

Crying bitter tears, "Wah, American women are entitled princesses so I married an Asian.  She threw knives at me.  All women are evil."

Next breath, "Women are only needed in the kitchen and the bedroom."  

It would be almost funny if it were actual parody.  This is their reality though.  Bizarre.
View Quote

See my dog comment. Seriously, that's exactly what some of them want. No real need for conversation, complete control, unwavering devotion, and a willingness to follow commands without question or hesitation. All without any real investment on their part.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Don't know how many times I've heard the phrase "I don't cook,'' yeah, that's a dealbreaker right there, EVERYONE, be they male or female, should be able to cook. If you can't, or if that's a phrase to let the other person know that eating out will be the norm  or housework is below them, that's a strike against you. [and yes, I DO cook, I don't bake simply because I suck at it because I can't change the ingredient amounts without really bad results happening]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bare foot.

I'm not consistent with baking at all.  Mainly because it really relies on precise measurements and I'm too impulsive/impatient for that.  

I like the freedom for creativity with cooking though.  I use a recipe as a guide and change this here, add this there.  The good news is that we rarely have exactly the same dish twice.  
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top