[#1]
if there WILLING  to show it
its probably within the guide lines of
proper legal

ya ya y a page 2 and all that

and for those reasons I'M OUT
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I just had to show ID and the credit card I paid with to purchase gift cards for Christmas gifts.

The terrorists have won.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If the store manager is the only one seeing the ID, why does he need to see it at all - for items like spray paint, butane lighters, etc., where there are no
statutory limitations on who can buy?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
and  yer address might be
1313 mockingbird lane

make a id just for ALL these purposes...

lol
risk criminal charges with a fake id so you can buy spray paint, butane lighters and such incognito ?
Paranoid much?

whos going get  ya the store manager  (now) has the power of ARREST...theres a ...lol

So if the store manager is the only one seeing your Id why do you need a fake one?

If the store manager is the only one seeing the ID, why does he need to see it at all - for items like spray paint, butane lighters, etc., where there are no

The issue with spray paint is because of huffing and tagging.
Kids buy paint then go tagging, get caught by police and say they purchased it at ABC Hardware. Then police go see ABC Hardware about selling spray paint to underage folks. These laws were put in place because people in certain communities were tired of the vandalism created by delinquents. So society created this. We are unfortunately part of that society. When we get shitty with the clerks and store managers for doing their job following the law WE pushed to create we are being narrow minded.
Huffing is a whole other issue. I had an incident with a huffer. He was in the process of kicking a female police officers ass when I and 2 friends intervened. He had already taken her nightstick away and things were fixing to get really ugly. I don't know if an id check on his purchases would have helped there but you never know. Maybe junkies can't produce an Id like more responsible citizens.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I suppose that it's because juveniles are huffing the butane.  Target is being "socially responsible".   I don't know how big of a problem butane huffing is, though.

ETA:  Butane is also used to make butane hash oil, which is kind of a new thing.
View Quote

What happens when you huff butane? Never heard of that.

Sounds like something you could die from.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Kids buy paint then go tagging, get caught by police and say they purchased it at ABC Hardware. Then police go see ABC Hardware about selling spray paint to underage folks. These laws were put in place because people in certain communities were tired of the vandalism created by delinquents. So society created this. We are unfortunately part of that society. When we get shitty with the clerks and store managers for doing their job following the law WE pushed to create we are being narrow minded.
Huffing is a whole other issue. I had an incident with a huffer. He was in the process of kicking a female police officers ass when I and 2 friends intervened. He had already taken her nightstick away and things were fixing to get really ugly. I don't know if an id check on his purchases would have helped there but you never know. Maybe junkies can't produce an Id like more responsible citizens.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What laws!!??? WTF are you talking about?? Again, I ask - someone please tell me what the STATUTORY age limit is for buying a butane lighter???
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suppose that it's because juveniles are huffing the butane.  Target is being "socially responsible".   I don't know how big of a problem butane huffing is, though.

ETA:  Butane is also used to make butane hash oil, which is kind of a new thing.

Have to imagine its some type of head rush and yeah it can't be good for you at all. Imagine huffing spray paint is the same kind of high.
Have to imagine its hell on the brain cells.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What laws!!??? WTF are you talking about?? Again, I ask - someone please tell me what the STATUTORY age limit is for buying a butane lighter???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would imagine that varies by state like a lot of laws.
If there's no age law on the book in any specific state I seriously doubt they are checking id's.
There's an age minimum here in Texas on spray paint. I am not aware of one on butane lighters but there may be.
Check your state laws.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
About ten years ago I got carded for duct tape, I could not believe it friggen duct tape I was like WTF

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#9]
lots of old men yelling at clouds hilarity going on here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Are they actually "looking" at the ID or "scanning" the information into a computerized database ??
If it's the latter, tracing accumulated purchases are being tracked like they do with certain decongestants.

Take it from there, as to how the information is being used.

However, I continue to stand by my previous statement as to:

WHO THE HELL SHOPS AT TARGET ANYMORE ??

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#11]
There are many in this tread making the same exact arguments made for UBC and other gun control measures.
Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
^ This guy gets it!! ^

My folks bought a new set of appliances for their kitchen less than a month ago.  My mom notices the the dishes and the inside of the dishwasher are still wet after the drying cycle is complete, she reads the manual, double checks the settings, and then calls the number in the manual.  After a little trouble shooting, what do they end up telling her?!?  For her new "energy efficient and economically friendly" dishwasher, she needs to run the hot water in the sink for no less than 5 minutes to get the hot water in the lines to the dishwasher.  She actually tells the lady, "I didn't have to run the hot water for my old dishwasher, it was 15 years old, and it wasn't energy efficient nor economically friendly.  Now I have one that's supposedly better for the environment and I have to waste hot water to get it to work properly?"  

My little guy is going to be 2 in less than a month - I can't even imagine how fucked up and backwards shit's going to be when he's my age...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is showing ID such a monumental issue?

It's not that showing ID is the issue for certain things.  It's that the nanny state a its extension into nearly every "socially responsible" business wants to limit or control nearly every aspect of life today.  ID for lighters, propane tanks, cold medicine, spray paint, booze even if you look 50+, tobacco even if you look 50+ (and you will receive the woeful stare of victims of your vice).  

Hell, I can't buy a toilet that can handle my power dump in one flush so am forced to flush 4 times wasting more water.  The $40 LED light bulbs burn out just as fast the CFL's that were supposed to be a God send over Edison's great invention.  If they are so concerned about energy ask algore to hold off on his $10K/mos/mansion consumption.  

Solar power has a rate of return after I will be long dead and my 4 year old has begun collection social security.  For that matter wind in just 43 years after installation will actually still have a zero sum add to the power grid as the turbines are only expected to last 30 years.  

Most people need to myob and get back to work.
^ This guy gets it!! ^

My folks bought a new set of appliances for their kitchen less than a month ago.  My mom notices the the dishes and the inside of the dishwasher are still wet after the drying cycle is complete, she reads the manual, double checks the settings, and then calls the number in the manual.  After a little trouble shooting, what do they end up telling her?!?  For her new "energy efficient and economically friendly" dishwasher, she needs to run the hot water in the sink for no less than 5 minutes to get the hot water in the lines to the dishwasher.  She actually tells the lady, "I didn't have to run the hot water for my old dishwasher, it was 15 years old, and it wasn't energy efficient nor economically friendly.  Now I have one that's supposedly better for the environment and I have to waste hot water to get it to work properly?"  

My little guy is going to be 2 in less than a month - I can't even imagine how fucked up and backwards shit's going to be when he's my age...
That's a canned phone support answer. You're supposed to run the hot water until it gets hot at the tap so the dishwasher doesn't have to spend electricity heating it up to temperature since it is so inefficient vs your water heater, but it doesn't have to be five minutes. So, just wash the pots by hand, when you're done, start the dishwasher.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the same feeling. Sometimes it is a pain in the ass though. I worked as a cashier for a while and it was store policy to always check for ID when age restricted items came across. I had to turn people down several times over spray paint and other stuff like that. Just a way to cover the stores butt if somebody does get a hold of something. "Did you check their ID? No? then it is your fault."
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

May your chains rest lightly upon you.

You children don't even realize how much freedom we have already lost, and you don't even FUCKING CARE!! In fact you are making fucking fun of us that know and DO care! Goddamnit, you don't even deserve the minimal freedoms you have left!

You disgust me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You children don't even realize how much freedom we have already lost, and you don't even FUCKING CARE!! In fact you are making fucking fun of us that know and DO care! Goddamnit, you don't even deserve the minimal freedoms you have left!

You disgust me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You disgust me.

You don't deserve the oxygen you have access too.

If your family is that important and America is that bad, then feel free to leave the country. I'm pretty sure you can cross into Mexico pretty easily from AZ.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I started a thread on this, IIRC, last year at a walgreen's...I think ARFCOM GD wanted me to STFU and MYOB.

I'll try and find the link..

ETA: Link
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If your family is that important and America is that bad, then feel free to leave the country. I'm pretty sure you can cross into Mexico pretty easily from AZ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You disgust me.

So get on board with what others want or get out right?  Lets force people to do something they don't want to do and hasn't been proven to work in the name of "helping people" or "safety" or force them out.

Do you proof these things before you click submit or do you just blindly go at it like an overly emotional liberal?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ID for lighters. But not to vote?   FFS....
View Quote

That's the real issue.  I sorta get it for something that you dont want a 10 year old to buy but not having to prove your a resident to vote?  mind boggling....
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Huffers use that all the time.
DEA called one time because I was buying it by the pallet and the seller called them, it works great as a leak-detector in a vacuum system we had (sensor in the system detected a certain molecule included in a specific variety of the stuff), and it had a lot of leaks.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They ask for mine for buying 2 cans of compressed air.

Huffers use that all the time.
DEA called one time because I was buying it by the pallet and the seller called them, it works great as a leak-detector in a vacuum system we had (sensor in the system detected a certain molecule included in a specific variety of the stuff), and it had a lot of leaks.

Kharn

dont lie, you were slinging compressed air to the the druggies on the street, werent you????  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
whats yer phone number
555-1212

whats yer zip code

you don't have to give UP any real truth INFO to those that
don't NEED it...
View Quote

or could use 867-5309 for a number.  wonder how many would get the reference.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're not checking you are who you say you are for lights.  They're checking your ID for age.

But I completely agree.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A better question is how in the hell did the Republic manage to exist for over two hundred years without requiring ID for a fucking lighter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A better question is how in the hell did the Republic manage to exist for over two hundred years without requiring ID for a fucking lighter?

People didn't huff butane 200 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
WHO THE HELL SHOPS AT TARGET ANYMORE ???

View Quote

Me when I don't feel like driving 15mins across town to go to Walmart and I need a few regular household things.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because I'm in my mid-fifties and have a grey beard down to my fucking belly button? Why is not requiring ID from obviously old people such a monumental issue?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You disgust me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You disgust me.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
There's a big difference between 'showing' ID to verify age and having your ID electronically scanned to who knows what end. A ton of that scanned data gets sold to marketing companies and it's anybody's guess who else can gain access to your data.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Thats because some of us remember when you go into a store and just buy what you wanted without playing "Papers please", 20 questions or "Let's make a Deal!"

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stopped in at target last night and while standing in line I saw a 5 pack of Bic lights for $4.99...good deal, and though I am a non-smoker I like to keep some of these around the house/vehicle/emergency supply box...

Cashier got to these, and asked for ID and that she needs to scan my DL for them.  

I said no thanks and that I don't need them that bad....It was the principle of the whole thing...

Why the fuck would i need ID to buy lighters?

View Quote

IIRC you have to be at least 18 to buy a lighter because it's considered dangerous, and probably because it's a smoking tool as well.

Then again I try to avoid target cos of the "gun ban lite" aspect.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

IIRC you have to be at least 18 to buy a lighter because it's considered dangerous, and probably because it's a smoking tool as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stopped in at target last night and while standing in line I saw a 5 pack of Bic lights for $4.99...good deal, and though I am a non-smoker I like to keep some of these around the house/vehicle/emergency supply box...

Cashier got to these, and asked for ID and that she needs to scan my DL for them.  

I said no thanks and that I don't need them that bad....It was the principle of the whole thing...

Why the fuck would i need ID to buy lighters?

Unfortunately around me it's Target or Wal-Mart...and I prefer to not have to go to Wal-Mart....

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
whats yer phone number
555-1212

whats yer zip code

don't NEED it...

Tommy Tutone
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

Why is the ability of an adult to purchase an item unimpeded an issue?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Most people need to not reproduce and stop repeating the stupidity cycle.

If you hate it here in America that much, reach down, grab a pair if you can find them, pack your shit up, and fucking leave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not that showing ID is the issue for certain things.  It's that the nanny state a its extension into nearly every "socially responsible" business wants to limit or control nearly every aspect of life today.  ID for lighters, propane tanks, cold medicine, spray paint, booze even if you look 50+, tobacco even if you look 50+ (and you will receive the woeful stare of victims of your vice).  

Hell, I can't buy a toilet that can handle my power dump in one flush so am forced to flush 4 times wasting more water.  The $40 LED light bulbs burn out just as fast the CFL's that were supposed to be a God send over Edison's great invention.  If they are so concerned about energy ask algore to hold off on his $10K/mos/mansion consumption.  

Solar power has a rate of return after I will be long dead and my 4 year old has begun collection social security.  For that matter wind in just 43 years after installation will actually still have a zero sum add to the power grid as the turbines are only expected to last 30 years.  

If you hate it here in America that much, reach down, grab a pair if you can find them, pack your shit up, and fucking leave.

And there it is. A loyal subject of the State tries to use scorn and ridicule to shut up an American citizen.

Piss off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
whats yer phone number
555-1212

whats yer zip code

don't NEED it...
View Quote

Once while buying clearance shotshells I was asked for my date of birth by the clerk at Kmart.

I told her April 12, 1865.

She didn't blink an eye as she entered it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My phone number is 867-5309.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
whats yer phone number
555-1212

whats yer zip code

don't NEED it...

My phone number is 867-5309.

Use the zipcode 20505.  It is the ZIP for the CIA HQ.  I do it just to fuck with databases.  And for a phone number: 202-456-1414.  That's the Whitehouse switchboard.  I kept that in my wallet when I was doing commo because I knew that was a phone that would always be answered and could use it to check any new circuit I was standing up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
About ten years ago I got carded for duct tape, I could not believe it friggen duct tape I was like WTF

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Were you buying a shovel, plastic sheeting, bag of lime and a ski mask at the same time?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Because I'm in my mid-fifties and have a grey beard down to my fucking belly button? Why is not requiring ID from obviously old people such a monumental issue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It shouldn't be but unfortunately most people working behind a cash register are not allowed to think for themselves. Management tells them to check id's and they are going to like a good robot.

And mid fifties ain't old.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#44]
When did bic lighters get so expensive? A buck apiece is a good deal?

Oh, and yeah, needing ID for a lighter is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And there it is. A loyal subject of the State tries to use scorn and ridicule to shut up an American citizen.

Piss off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Piss off.

A lot of them surfaced in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How old are you?

It's too bad we can't turn the clock back to 1966 for all the members here that were born in the late 70's and later.  They all would be amazed at the lack of nannyism.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next men in black leather trench coats will be going down the aisle of public transportation, saying
''give me your papers".

Slippery slope

It's a clerk at a local store. Fuck, and people think I'm paranoid

How old are you?

It's too bad we can't turn the clock back to 1966 for all the members here that were born in the late 70's and later.  They all would be amazed at the lack of nannyism.

26. I just don't see the issue. When I get asked for ID I am friendly, show them without it leaving my hand and I'm very polite. I wouldn't let it be scanned either, but I see no issue in just showing it
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had to show ID to vote
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
WHO THE HELL SHOPS AT TARGET ANYMORE ???

View Quote

Me. Much better than Walmart
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top