Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#1]
when they get oil soaked just hose them down with brake cleaner. they come out looking brand new!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

way to much work

but my wife is RN so we happen to have a few boxes of gloves laying around
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
do they make any that are thin and dont soak it or, or soak up grease?

Nitrile gloves over them

way to much work

but my wife is RN so we happen to have a few boxes of gloves laying around

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy non-reversible. I also wouldn't even consider buying the snapon ones, considering the bluepoint offerings are actually much better, they have a reversible flexhead which is almost unheard of and is much cheaper than the s/o ones.
View Quote

i saw some that where reversible, but they where $89 for the same set i got for $30
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I found this interesting

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/tools/129429-kobalt-tools-its-shame.html
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
HAHA!

True.

Quoted:

Well for the life of Sears,  what's that 2-7 years at best?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they guaranteed for life like Craftsman?

Fucking LOL.

Well for the life of Sears,  what's that 2-7 years at best?

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]

87% of ARFcom tool threads be like

Q "Can anyone recommend me some tools to use around the house for small maintenance and building the kids Christmas toys?"

A "SNAP ON!!!!!!!! OMGWTFBBQ! BUY SNAP ON EVERYTHING!"

Q "Can anyone recommend me a socket set that won't break the bank? I'm on a budget."

A  "SNAP ON!!!!!! FAP FAP FAP FAP"

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would a wrench ratcheting set be worth $30?

or is it just junk and i need to get Snap On
View Quote

You're getting seven wrenches for $30.  Sure, it's worth it.  Ratcheting wrenches are a great addition to the toolbox & really come in handy in tight spots.

In my experience, the difference between cheep tools and expensive ones is abuse performance.  For example, any wrench will turn a fastener; but when the torque gets high & you add a cheater bar, that's where the more expensive ones generally show their worth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"Can anyone recommend me some tools to use around the house for small maintenance and building the kids Christmas toys?"

"SNAP ON!!!!!!!! OMGWTFBBQ! BUY SNAP ON EVERYTHING!"

View Quote

Just like every other subject on this board. A competition on who can think of the most expensive thing out there.

"I only use xxxxx, because it's my money and I want the best."
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
They are fine if you like your tools made in Communist China.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Made in Taiwan
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

I thought ARFcom flocked to buy as many cheap Chinese guns as possible?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a set of HF ones that have been life savers working on my german car

But I'm absolutely frightened they'll fail one day and I'll bust my knuckles on something
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Q "Can anyone recommend me some tools to use around the house for small maintenance and building the kids Christmas toys?"

A "SNAP ON!!!!!!!! OMGWTFBBQ! BUY SNAP ON EVERYTHING!"

Q "Can anyone recommend me a socket set that won't break the bank? I'm on a budget."

A  "SNAP ON!!!!!! FAP FAP FAP FAP"

View Quote

Get the kids snap on tools as toys
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have been picking up some tools to have in our new RV trailer.  Our Trucks are Toyotas, so I need Standard tools for the trailer.  Picked up a wrench set from Sears on the way home the other day...Made In China.  I had heard they were making more and more of ther was being made in China.

I usually buy a set of their $20 tools marked down to
$9.99 for Christmas for the guys I work with on the boat. Primarily because they were American made and decent quality. When I saw that they were now made in China I put them back down and walked out of the store. Some of their stuff is still made in America but you have to look at everything. I ordered a half a dozen mini mag lights off Amazon. at least they are still made in America.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're getting seven wrenches for $30.  Sure, it's worth it.  Ratcheting wrenches are a great addition to the toolbox & really come in handy in tight spots.

In my experience, the difference between cheep tools and expensive ones is abuse performance.  For example, any wrench will turn a fastener; but when the torque gets high & you add a cheater bar, that's where the more expensive ones generally show their worth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would a wrench ratcheting set be worth $30?

or is it just junk and i need to get Snap On

I'm ok with cheap as long as they are sized correctly. I used to have a really cheap socket set and nothing fit the sizes it was supposed to. Everything was either just a little bit loose or a little bit tight. I was happy to replace them.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyting other than Snap On is shit unless it's a cresent wrench.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Anyting other than Snap On is shit unless it's a cresent wrench.

I almost bought a Crescent wrench but they were made in CHINA . . .

Quoted:
Junk!!! Get gear wrench. Same as snap on

Odd, the set of Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches I bought say "made in China"
Granted they seem to work well and  I use them every day but it's only been a year so far.
Sears has the 20 piece set on sale for $50 regularly.

Most of what I have is Craftsman and some of it's 30 years old. Took in a couple worn out phillips screwdrivers and got free replacements.
Had to disassemble the ratchet wrenches a while back to clean and regrease them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a few Kobalt tools. I have nothing bad to say about them.

Also, check out Channel Locks offerings. They're made in America, and reasonably priced.

https://www.channellock.com/
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Weekend warriors with money to burn use snap on and mac. People who rely on tools for a living have figured out what "budget brands" are GTG. Kobalt is on that list. You wouldn't use a 1/4 inch drive socket to break a half inch bolt lose, so don't use your ratcheting wrenches to break stuff lose and you'll be fine. Plus if/ when they break, you run them to Lowes and exchange instead of waiting on the tool truck.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Been buying Kobalt since they came out.  Use them on the farm and maintenance on our vehicles.  Never had a problem with any of their tools. Getting a discount helps also.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:31:37 AM EDT
[#21]
You don't necessarily need snap on. Look into gearwrench brand. I picked up a SAE and metric set for $30 each on sale.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:43:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Kobalt has the best "store brand" tools going right now IMHO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you are not making a living with them they are fine

Kobalt has the best "store brand" tools going right now IMHO.

Agree. Much better than the Husky brand from Home Depot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#23]
The only things worth buying off the truck are things that the local store won't have or something that can't afford to break in BFE.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:02:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you are not making a living with them they are fine
View Quote
This.

If you're gonna use them for important stuff every day of the week, save your $$$ for the Snap-On.  And don't bother with the guy in the truck.  Find an Industrial Dealer, their prices are cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#25]
well i went back today and got some more stuff

50% off is just hard to pass up
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What all is 50%? Is it store specific or all lowes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i believe its all of them. i got both ratcheting wrench sets, a set of three channel lock pliers, and a big ass set of assorted pliers, cutters.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Junk!!! Get gear wrench. Same as snap on
View Quote

Not even close
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

i believe its all of them. i got both ratcheting wrench sets, a set of three channel lock pliers, and a big ass set of assorted pliers, cutters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_464613-16878-55740_0__?productId=50029420&Ntt=koblat&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dkoblat&facetInfo=
http://www.lowes.com/pd_338362-22328-85557_0__?productId=3362534&Ntt=koblat&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dkoblat&facetInfo=
http://www.lowes.com/pd_338361-22328-85556_0__?productId=3362658&Ntt=koblat&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dkoblat&facetInfo=
http://www.lowes.com/pd_464614-16878-55754_0__?productId=50029422&Ntt=koblat&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dkoblat%26page%3D2&facetInfo=
http://www.lowes.com/pd_464646-16878-55727_0__?productId=50029438&Ntt=koblat&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dkoblat%26page%3D2&facetInfo=

This is everything i got, but there's a lot more thats 50% off
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got quite a few different brands of ratcheting wrenches, the kobalt ones are GTG but blue point is my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I've owned Kobalt tools for 5+ years & I've always found them to be more than adequate for the money vs. Snap On.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#32]

There are small sutle differences, but again not thing that most would notice or really need. I too have a mixture of craftsman, snap-on and harbor freight tools. Generally the snap on tools are my torque wrenches and some small things I picked up. I did notice a difference in the engagement points of all the ratchets craftsman versus harbor freight versus snap on. The teeth on the gears on the snap on are smaller, and more, you don't need to move as much to get it to engage. Worth it? depends on what you need it for.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, they are. Take it to the store and get a replacement.

(I work for Lowe's)
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

so if i break one, do i have to take the whole set back to lowes or just the one i broke?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Break it, take it back, they replace it, you go home.

I have a set like that, haven't let me down with the same usage you are describing. That being said, since they are ratcheting wrenches, I tend not to abuse them. If something is really stuck. I try a socket or non-ratcheting wrench first to break it loose.

so if i break one, do i have to take the whole set back to lowes or just the one i broke?

Just the broken tool.  All their hand tools have a lifetime warranty.  If they no longer sell whatever you are returning, they will give you a similar replacement.  They'll even replace lost sockets, but you have to get them through the mail and pay shipping for each piece.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top