User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The movie's bullshit. They had an agenda. Everybody lied. I'm a know-nothing loser.

It's an arf-children temper tantrum spewing ad hominem attack, and nobody addressing the point. The assertions still stand unchallenged.

1. If the casing fails the fracing fluid and gas will contaminate.

2. Casings fail.

Arf always has subject matter experts floating through GD, yet there's no response. It's not even that the response is poor. There's nobody stupid enough to come out and say that either one of those assertions is incorrect.

But nothing will change. Willful ignorance.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, based on arf-wisdom you're probably going to go ahead and do it.

The property's water is very likely to become contaminated. The EPA will declare everything safe and fine. You won't be able to drink the water or bathe in it. You won't be able to sell, because the water won't pass inspection. You'll be the proud owner of a worthless shit heap that you can't get out from under.

All of the boisterous arf-geniuses will resurface to tell you that whatever it is, it definitely had nothing to do with the fracking.

If it isn't clear, I wouldn't have anything to do with it.

So what is your background in this industry?

he is an expert from the internet who watched a few documentries . he is here to save us

The movie's bullshit. They had an agenda. Everybody lied. I'm a know-nothing loser.

It's an arf-children temper tantrum spewing ad hominem attack, and nobody addressing the point. The assertions still stand unchallenged.

1. If the casing fails the fracing fluid and gas will contaminate.

2. Casings fail.

Arf always has subject matter experts floating through GD, yet there's no response. It's not even that the response is poor. There's nobody stupid enough to come out and say that either one of those assertions is incorrect.

But nothing will change. Willful ignorance.

Maybe if you demonstrate some form of working knowledge about the topic and how the well components function you will be taken seriously enough to warrant a discussion about the casings
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
How do casings fail, EXPERT?  When a well is completed, the casing lines the entire bore, from the shoe to the surface.  In most of the bore, there is at least two layers of casing, cemented together.  Only in the pay zone is there a single layer of casing cemented to the bore.

Now, when the well is fractured, the first process is perforation or making intentional holes in the casing that extend past the cement and into the formation.  A perf gun holds a number of shaped charges which are initiated from the surface.   Then packers are installed to isolate this perfed zone, only then is fracturing possible.

Most wells are fractured in multiple zones, independently done by installation of packers at various depths.  At no time is the entire casing subjected to fracturing pressure, there is no way to accurately fracture a well in one step due to anisotropic nature of formations.  Plus deeper formations of similar conductivity will have greater pore pressure just from hydrostatic column.

Now, who are the experts here and who is the drip under pressure?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
But casings FAIL!  And every casing FAILS!  According to our EXPERT here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How do casings fail, EXPERT?  When a well is completed, the casing lines the entire bore, from the shoe to the surface.  In most of the bore, there is at least two layers of casing, cemented together.  Only in the pay zone is there a single layer of casing cemented to the bore.

Now, when the well is fractured, the first process is perforation or making intentional holes in the casing that extend past the cement and into the formation.  A perf gun holds a number of shaped charges which are initiated from the surface.   Then packers are installed to isolate this perfed zone, only then is fracturing possible.

Most wells are fractured in multiple zones, independently done by installation of packers at various depths.  At no time is the entire casing subjected to fracturing pressure, there is no way to accurately fracture a well in one step due to anisotropic nature of formations.  Plus deeper formations of similar conductivity will have greater pore pressure just from hydrostatic column.

Now, who are the experts here and who is the drip under pressure?
View Quote

You're wasting your time. He saw a movie. Movies are only made by experts in their respective fields.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess our casing failure expert has left the building.  He cannot win so he takes his ball and goes home.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I listened to a friends brother go on about how great fracking is for over an hour one night. Of course he was making his living off of it.
Most of the people that seem to be fist pumping about the postives of fracking and the lack of any negatives earn money from it.
How many times have we been told this or that is safe by the industries pimping their product or service, and the political hacks who
are in lock step with them because of campaign contributions and tax revenues.

I for one do not know if it safe or not in the short term or long term, but personally I would rather not have it in my area.
There were gas companies running around in my area hoping that the state would approve fracking.
I do recall reading about one company that was caught on more than one occassion taking water from the river without a permit when doing exploritory wells.
They knew the rules, so my concern was if they would do this what else are they capable of.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#8]
If we didn't have hydraulic fracturing, oil would still be over $100/bbl and gasoline over $3.50 a gallon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No concern about the fracing, but why in the blue fuck would you buy a home for vaca near a gas field?
Do you have any idea how much traffic that generates?
View Quote

You should visit where I vacation during the summer.

18% of the nations energy passes through the road by where we used to keep the houseboat.

Port Fourchon

It would not worry me Op, if the bedrock is right under your feet. Where I live, when fracking goes bad, sink hole forms and your house goes bye bye
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You do understand that casing fails in all forms of underground drilling right? You also are aware that I am mainly addressing these Luddites and their fracking causes earthquakes and water to catch on fire right?

Fracking does no more harm than any other type of drilling for oil/gas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The anti fracking derp ...

Fracking harms nothing ....

Willful ignorance.

There isn't even a legitimate debate. It's plain, simple, thoroughly understood, and the ability of grown men to pretend otherwise is shameful. It's a really short discussion. Are you ready?

1. If the well casing fails, fracing fluid and gas can both contaminate at the failure site.
2. Well casings fail.

So, if you want to dissent or call BS, please oh please make sure you're addressing the validity of items 1 or 2.

You do understand that casing fails in all forms of underground drilling right? You also are aware that I am mainly addressing these Luddites and their fracking causes earthquakes and water to catch on fire right?

Fracking does no more harm than any other type of drilling for oil/gas.

I would like to add, that when they cement the well, the amount of cement they would pump down would undoubtedly go way past the depth of the well water. Therefore making a casing leak a non-issue.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I guess our casing failure expert has left the building.  He cannot win so he takes his ball and goes home.
View Quote

Pretty much. casings can fail, but this isn't the 1940's anymore. Having all of my friends and family in the industry ranging from Drilliers to Pipeliners, I haven't heard anything about a casing failing that I can remember. Blow outs, sure. but the casing was still intact.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If we didn't have hydraulic fracturing, oil would still be over $100/bbl and gasoline over $3.50 a gallon.
View Quote

Pretty much, inland fracking has made a lot of money in peoples pockets, from the land owners, the workers and those who by petroleum derived products.

FWIW, fracking and directional drilling has been going on in the GOM for a while now.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They've been fracking around here for years. Some wells within 1/2 mile of my house have been fracked. No damage, tremors, water contamination, well failures, environmental impact, or lost sleep.

Not an issue.
View Quote

Except to the Envirowackos...  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more concerned if I owned the mineral rights.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Pretty much, inland fracking has made a lot of money in peoples pockets, from the land owners, the workers and those who by petroleum derived products.

FWIW, fracking and directional drilling has been going on in the GOM for a while now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew DD in the GoM but not hydraulic fracturing.  Makes sense.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the enviro whackos are collectively losing their minds over it. I am pretty sure any water that goes down the well has to be stored in tanks and then brought on shore for disposal. The same way drilling mud is handled.

People are still up in arms about the BP spill and looking at any way to stop drilling in the Gulf. The bad news for the environmentalist is that the on going research from I think Ole Miss, shows that marine life is back flourishing on, near and around the well site. The beaches and marshes are clean. The problem is you have people that are waiting on settlements lying about how it is still bad out there. Which it isn't. Matter of fact my family spent pretty much every weekend of June-July On or around, Grand Isle and Fourchon, that includes both major estuaries. No oil, that I can see, more fish and wild life than ever. Oysters are back doing their thing.

If the environmental fanatics want to actually put their money where their mouth is, they would look in to the Idle iron policy. They would find out about how many artificial reefs are being destroyed. I digress
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#18]
That idle iron policy IS bull.  Before that policy, idle rigs were excellent dive sites.  Everything from urchins to cowries and even corals grew on the iron.  This attracted fish.  Sure, it was scary to see barracuda swimming on the surface but we never were attacked.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That idle iron policy IS bull.  Before that policy, idle rigs were excellent dive sites.  Everything from urchins to cowries and even corals grew on the iron.  This attracted fish.  Sure, it was scary to see barracuda swimming on the surface but we never were attacked.
View Quote

Tell me about it. If you follow the NOAA and their fishery management process they don't even count those structures in the numbers. There is so much marine life by those platforms it's not even funny. On one hand they don't want you to over fish the American Red Snapper but on the other hand the federal government wants to destroy the majority of their habitat.

It's really paints a awful picture when you actually think that there is a possibility your son may not have the same opportunities to fish in the gulf the way you did as a kid.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I would look for a place devoid of buried energy.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top