Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2014 2:17:58 AM EDT
My Mother-in-law is looking to get a pistol for self defense, as well as apply for a CPL.

I had her handle my wife's S&W bodyguard .380 and she had trouble even pulling the slide back due to carpel tunnel syndrome. I figured a hammerless revolver might be good.

ideas? suggestions?

due to reasons I wont post here she needs a pistol and will be taking a beginners pistol class as well as getting alot of instruction from myself but I need some ideas of pistols to look at and try at a rental range.

Thread title corrected for clarification.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:19:41 AM EDT
[#1]
G29 with Buffalo Bore ammo.

What, you said mother in law..?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:22:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The hammerless revolver will have a hard long trigger pull. My wife has a J-Frame in .38. In addition to the hard trigger pull she doesn't like to shoot it because of the recoil.

I think the slide on the bodyguard is harder than a lot of full size guns. Maybe take her and let her feel and work some guns. Maybe M&P Shield?

ETA: They do make a controlled/limited recoil load for the .38. Not sure if they make that in 9mm or not? That would help with the recoil
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:24:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Hit her with the butt
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The hammerless revolver will have a hard long trigger pull. My wife has a J-Frame in .38. In addition to the hard trigger pull she doesn't like to shoot it because of the recoil.

I think the slide on the bodyguard is harder than a lot of full size guns. Maybe take her and let her feel and work some guns. Maybe M&P Shield?

ETA: They do make a controlled/limited recoil for the .38. Not sure if they make that in 9mm or not? That would help with the recoil
View Quote

will do. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:28:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

yep.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:37:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Glock 34
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:41:14 AM EDT
[#7]
G19
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
yep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yep.

To add some value though, I'd focus on shooting fundamentals before concealability.  Going straight to a carry gun can be a quick way to build and reinforce bad habits given the usual trade offs of sight radius and weight.

Personally I've seen a couple female shooters learn pretty well on a Sig 226, don't know if that's an option but I've seen it preferred over some of the other usual suspects for whatever reason (similarly-chambered GLOCK, HK, Beretta).
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

To add some value though, I'd focus on shooting fundamentals before concealability.  Going straight to a carry gun can be a quick way to build and reinforce bad habits given the usual trade offs of sight radius and weight.

Personally I've seen a couple female shooters learn pretty well on a Sig 226, don't know if that's an option but I've seen it preferred over some of the other usual suspects for whatever reason (similarly-chambered GLOCK, HK, Beretta).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.

I agree on the fundamentals first. She is looking for home defense first, applying for CPL and working her way to actually carrying.

I'll take a look at the Sig as well
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:58:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:01:48 AM EDT
[#11]

so if I'm understanding the concept you would use your thumb to pull the trigger
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:06:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh, I thought you meant  to use on your mother in law.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:14:15 AM EDT
[#15]
A full size gun will be easier to operate than a mini gun.  Mini guns generally have stiffer recoil and/or hammer springs making it harder to operate the slide as well as less real estate to grab for slide operation.

If you are unfamiliar with how to show a weaker person to operate a slide find someone who is.  If she's legitimately unable to operate it and is really that weak (rare but not unknown) then look at one of the tip barrel .380 Berettas or one of the more reliable .22s like a 22/45 or Buckmark.

Every revolver out there is blessed with bad triggers, bad sights and more recoil unless you are spending some serious cash to get a trigger professionally worked over.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:15:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Full rail TRP Operator, with springs calibrated for 45 Super.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:16:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Make sure it's a big enough caliber or you'll just make her angry.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:34:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well you did say it was for your MotherInLaw.... I just assumed
View All Quotes

Ah now I got it.

I'm one of the lucky ones that has a great MIL.

My bad. LOL
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:37:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Make sure it's a big enough caliber or you'll just make her angry.

View Quote

This isn't a "what round for Grandpa?" Thread.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:40:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Oh, I thought you meant  to use on your mother in law.
View Quote
same here...this thread disappoints

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:30:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

A full size gun will be easier to operate than a mini gun.  Mini guns generally have stiffer recoil and/or hammer springs making it harder to operate the slide as well as less real estate to grab for slide operation.

If you are unfamiliar with how to show a weaker person to operate a slide find someone who is.  If she's legitimately unable to operate it and is really that weak (rare but not unknown) then look at one of the tip barrel .380 Berettas or one of the more reliable .22s like a 22/45 or Buckmark.

Every revolver out there is blessed with bad triggers, bad sights and more recoil unless you are spending some serious cash to get a trigger professionally worked over.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#22]
A glock 19 maybe? If you are going for a semi, a blowback pistol will be a no go the spring is stronger since there is no other sort of lockup to keep the chamber closed during peak pressure. If you really want to go revolver a LCR in 22mag maybe. I know the trigger in my .38 LCR is long but buttery smooth and not that heavy. As others have said though sites on a snubby suck they are harder to aim. A full size or compact will probably serve her best. She can always get a second less capable handgun for concealed carry while keeping the easier to shoot pistol in a more appropriate caliber for home defense.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:11:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Check her out on a G19, M&Pc, or XD/XDM 3.8 sometime it is easier to rack a full size. If that is an issue then wheel gun in 38/357 with a 4inch barrel should handle recoil better and she can practice with the 38 and then load 357 for bumps in the night. If still and issue then like someone said, Tip up barrel .25 cal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:32:24 AM EDT
[#25]
This could be stupid, but.... Did you show her to try just holding the slide with her off hand, and pushing the frame with her strong hand?

I've taught several woman to shoot who couldn't grab a slide from the rear and pull it to cycle the pistol, but could grab a slide with their palm on the top and push the frame forward to cycle the pistol

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:39:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I have found women to be tough.

With an automatic they often cannot rack the gun, with a revolver they often cannot easily pull the trigger.

The best compromise I found, for my wife, was the XD (actually, I got an HS 2000, the XD before Springfield). Because it has a grip safety, you can carry condition one, and the trigger pull is much easier. I suppose the Glock would be similar.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Take her to a range with rental guns. Let her try out anything she wants, see what works. I think you are in the same area as me, The Marksman in Puyallup has rental guns and beginner classes designed specifically for women. Small double action revolvers are difficult to shoot well for an experienced shooter, I would go with something else.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#28]
My mother carrys and can manipulate a Ruger LC9, she's 66 and had carpel tunnel surgery twice (in both wrists). Had to teach her a slightly different method or racking slide, instead of holding the grip (strong hand) and pulling back the slide with her weak hand, she holds the slide with her weak hand and pushes the grip forward with her strong hand, it's easier to hold the weak hand stationary instead of actively trying to pull with it.

Had her try multiple "pocket" guns and she liked this one the best.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My mother carrys and can manipulate a Ruger LC9, she's 66 and had carpel tunnel surgery twice (in both wrists). Had to teach her a slightly different method or racking slide, instead of holding the grip (strong hand) and pulling back the slide with her weak hand, she holds the slide with her weak hand and pushes the grip forward with her strong hand, it's easier to hold the weak hand stationary instead of actively trying to pull with it.

Had her try multiple "pocket" guns and she liked this one the best.
View Quote

Wait a minute...........I have always held the grip with the weak hand and operated the slide with my strong hand..................
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#30]
My last choice for her would be a DAO revolver.

If it had to a revolver maybe a model 60 3" Performance Center.

It's all steel which will help with recoil and has decent sights, but it still small enough to conceal.

She needs to get to a gun shop and see what she can manipulate.

The best, better than nothing choice would be a Beretta Tomcat .32acp.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Or get her a hammered revolver and shoot single action. She can shoot it double action,too. It's not whiz bang TIER ONE, but she will learn it quickly and be able to do it by herself.
For what it's worth, my 10 and 12 year old children can single action a revolver, although they can not rack the slide on an auto.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My last choice for her would be a DAO revolver.

If it had to a revolver maybe a model 60 3" Performance Center.
It's all steel which will help with recoil and has decent sights, but it still small enough to conceal.

She needs to get to a gun shop and see what she can manipulate.

The best, better than nothing choice would be a Beretta Tomcat .32acp.
View Quote

Well, hell yes..........that would be better!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Go to the Walther forums and click on the CCP.

It's designed for weak hands. No joke.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#34]
J frame .38
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#35]
The trigger on the Ruger LCR is very nice for a revolver. Have her try one of those out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe an older revolver that doesn't have an 'Anti-Lawsuit' 85 lb trigger pull?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#37]
G19.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#38]
One of the small Rugers, perhaps...or, one of the old Walthers (PPK).
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#39]
This is a good option to look at:

32ACP

Convenient Tip-Up Barrel Design

The 3032 features a tip-up barrel design typical of the classic Beretta small-frame pistols. Thanks to this design, you never need to rack the slide and you can load that first round directly into the chamber. This is especially convenient in cold weather, or for people with weaker hands. Another advantage is that the barrel may be easily cleaned without taking the pistol apart, making it convenient to give the pistol a quick wipe after a session at the range.

more here
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This could be stupid, but.... Did you show her to try just holding the slide with her off hand, and pushing the frame with her strong hand?

I've taught several woman to shoot who couldn't grab a slide from the rear and pull it to cycle the pistol, but could grab a slide with their palm on the top and push the frame forward to cycle the pistol

View Quote

I was showing her how to Palm it, she got it back a couple times but it was very difficult for her.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Take her to a range with rental guns. Let her try out anything she wants, see what works. I think you are in the same area as me, The Marksman in Puyallup has rental guns and beginner classes designed specifically for women. Small double action revolvers are difficult to shoot well for an experienced shooter, I would go with something else.
View Quote

Yeah I am, and I'll defini take her there.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I got my Mam a Ruger Lcr in .38/.357. She loved it in the gun store but the recoil was way too much for her out on the range. I loaded up some low power ammo and the next time we went shooting she was able to hit pie playes at 5yards no problem. I loaded 130gr loads at close to 750fps according to my loading manual, no chrono.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Walther PK380
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#44]
revolver.

Probably a 4" .38 spl. (steel).

Will be heavy to hold, but tame to shoot.  Easier to reload/load if you have trouble with a slide.  Simple manual of arms.

Not the sexiest.  Not the technical best.  But will serve her limitations, which will be good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#45]
32 S&W long has little recoil, with wadcutters will put some hurt on someone.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#46]
get her a k frame
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This is a good option to look at:

http://www.beretta.com/assets/2/15/DimMain/3032_Tomcat_Black.jpg

32ACP

Convenient Tip-Up Barrel Design

The 3032 features a tip-up barrel design typical of the classic Beretta small-frame pistols. Thanks to this design, you never need to rack the slide and you can load that first round directly into the chamber. This is especially convenient in cold weather, or for people with weaker hands. Another advantage is that the barrel may be easily cleaned without taking the pistol apart, making it convenient to give the pistol a quick wipe after a session at the range.

more here
View Quote

I'll go with this, good suggestion.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
get her a k frame
View Quote

Yep.

One of the little 2" guns would be easy to carry if she's really going to, or else just a 4" Model 10 or some such would suit her just fine... and can still be found relatively reasonably priced (not as cheap as a few years ago, unfortunately).

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm in the .38 revolver camp.  Have her try decocking one before pushing the single action shooting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My Mother-in-law is looking to get a pistol for self defense, as well as apply for a CPL.

I had her handle my wife's S&W bodyguard .380 and she had trouble even pulling the slide back due to carpel tunnel syndrome. I figured a hammerless revolver might be good.

ideas? suggestions?

due to reasons I wont post here she needs a pistol and will be taking a beginners pistol class as well as getting alot of instruction from myself but I need some ideas of pistols to look at and try at a rental range.

Thread title corrected for clarification.
View Quote

Do you like your Mother in Law?
Get her a 5 shot revolver rated rated for 357 magnum.
Have her use the Magnums for defense and 38 special for practice

If you hate your Mother in Law
suggest a snub nosed revolver in 500 SW Magnum
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top