Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/19/2014 2:57:48 PM EDT
Anything I should know? I'm looking at buying a used one and would like a softtail, is there anything specific I should be looking for, issue etc? This is not my first time buying a used vehicle but it is my first time looking at harley's.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#1]
i love your avatar
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Check sig.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a buyer's market for used Harleys and used bikes in general, so take your time and be selective.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anything I should know? I'm looking at buying a used one and would like a softtail, is there anything specific I should be looking for, issue etc? This is not my first time buying a used vehicle but it is my first time looking at harley's.
View Quote

Yeah.  When you're checking the bike out, first check and make sure it says HONDA on it.  Anything else will eventually leave you stranded on the side of the road and swearing at your bike.

No I'm not exaggerating.  Do you know how many broken down HDs I've seen on the side of the road in my life?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't buy a Harley they are all junk.
Now that we have that out of the way, for a serious discussion come over to the HD forum.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The most important question for the aspiring HD owner:

What's the tow rating on your daily driver?

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah.  When you're checking the bike out, first check and make sure it says HONDA on it.  Anything else will eventually leave you stranded on the side of the road and swearing at your bike.

No I'm not exaggerating.  Do you know how many broken down HDs I've seen on the side of the road in my life?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, you've never seen any bike other than a Harley on the side of the road? You should probably take off the training wheels and leave your drive way, if mommy will let you.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]
In before the Harley Haters..... To late.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I once saw a Harley in the bed of a truck. The truck itself was on a flatbed.

A very dedicated HD owner

Unfortunately, I was actually riding, and didn't get a picture
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I always liked the Springers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you ride already or will this be your first motorcycle?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Spend $1k on black HD t-shirts also, it's a requirement
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been driving and looking at the road since 95. I've seen maybe one.

I've owned two Harleys and never had an issue. Regular preventative maintenance is key for any vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't get a Road King or any of the other 'baggers', because they are too soft and squishy...

... Like their owners.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

A road king
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the truck hauling the bike  by chance A Harley Davidson Edition Ford???
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Get one of the trikes with the shitter on the back!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#18]
If I was going to buy a Harley without a fairing, I would check out the road king. They handle and ride much better than softails IMO.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Take time to learn what you want. Get a license so you can test ride bikes. If you're set on Harley as a brand, I highly recommend looking at getting a used one from a dealer so you don't feel too bad if you take it back or drop it.

I ride a 2008 Dyna Fat Bob. I love it. The Dyna's handle much differently every other bike so test ride and get use to them. Don't by an 883 Sportster, you'll be mad at yourself. But go to the dealer and take your time looking at the bikes and sitting on them.

If you got a buddy who you trust and can talk about bikes (or if you know what to look for) then look for a used one. Lots of mid-life crises on Craigslist or eBay... even some pissed off wife's on Craigslist selling 2012 Softtails for $50.

But as a Harley rider I'll even suggest looking around at other companies, namely Victory and their rebirthing of the Indian brand.

My Fat Bob doesn't have a fairing but there are companies out there that make them for almost every bike, including mine:

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Coming out thread.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Be patient is my only advice, there's a million out there for a good price so wait for the one you really want.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Every person I know who had a harley had one hell of a time trying to get rid of it. A very good friend of mine passed away suddenly and his wife who is more like my adopted mom said I could have his Harley if I wanted and I turned it down since I had zero interest in a bike. I prefer my 3/4 diesel with all the nuts I see driving the roads of Cali.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#23]

BLUB-BLUB-BLUB-BLARGH!!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's a buyer's market for used Harleys and used bikes in general, so take your time and be selective.

View Quote

This ^

I own a 2000 FXSTD softail ( owned since new )

If you can afford $10-15K on a nice used bike - you can get $25-30K of new bike in value / looks.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would skip the Softail and Dyna and go right to a Touring model, Road King or Street Glide.  I bought a Fat Boy based on $ and hated it, finally sold it and bought myself a Road King.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I want one them low riden baggers with the 26 in front wheel and he 10,000 watt sound system.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Checklist for a Harley bigtwin.

If it has after market exhaust does it have an ecu tuner installed.  Otherwise they run lean and make more noise but little power increases.

Is the engine stock.  If not anything other than an upgrade to gear driven cams would keep shopping.  Can be done well but most engine work isn't.

Find out when the last check of the cam adjuster guides was done.  Really important on the 88 moderately important on the 96.  By the time you notice metal in your oil the top end is toast.

Bonus for braided steel brake lines and progressive rate springs in the front and progressive or other aftermarket rear shocks.  The brakes and shocks work for a while but really aren't good on stock bikes.

Refuse to pay big money for aftermarket parts you don't like.  Used bikes get listed for more than new ones at times just due to aftermarket parts.

If its a very low mileage bike find out the service schedule done on it.  If after 5 years it only has 600 miles on it how regularly has the oil been changed.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#28]
OP: Need more details. What year ranges? Budget?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This ^

If you can afford $10-15K on a nice used bike - you can get $25-30K of new bike in value / looks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^

Wait, Harley buyers are all about looks?  This is shocking, I tell you.  Shocking.

OP, Harleys are terrible bikes in general.  Anything a Harley can do, a Japanese bike can do better and for less money.  Well, other than make others hate bikes because of obnoxious exhausts.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Wait, Harley buyers are all about looks?  This is shocking, I tell you.  Shocking.

OP, Harleys are terrible bikes in general.  Anything a Harley can do, a Japanese bike can do better and for less money.  Well, other than make others hate bikes because of obnoxious exhausts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^

My stock exhaust is as obnoxious as the rice-racer sound that Japanese bikes make?

I can hear on of the groups of crotch rocket riders 2 or 3 miles away every summer night, even the loud pipes of a modified exhaust on harleys aren't that bad.

ETA: fucking autocorrect.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I ride 20,000+ miles a year. Do regular maintenance and you will see 100,000
miles on that motor. Do what you want and don't listen to the pin heads.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#32]
ALL Harleys are shit!

You're an idiot for even considering buying a HD

<<===(...ignore the picture of my bike at left)
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I thought you had to be a felon before they would sell you one?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My stock exhaust is as obnoxious as the rice-racer sound that Japanese bikes make?

I can hear on of the groups of crotch rocket riders 2 or 3 miles away every summer night, even the loud pipes of a modified exhaust on harleys aren't that bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^

I'm not sure I've ever seen a stock exhaust on a Harley outside of a dealership.  Good on you.  Your bike still can't turn well, accelerate well, or stop well but at least it's only you that you are hurting.

As far as sport bikes go, I don't see loud exhaust on them as being an issue in real life.  Yes, there are idiots out there who put straight pipes on a Busa and use WOT at every stoplight.  I've seen the videos on youtube.  However, I've never seen one in person, either in my city or in my travels.  So, they exist but they are relatively rare.  Harleys, OTOH, are a real problem.  Every idiot who is more concerned about image than function buys one, tosses on straight pipes, and revs it as he bar hops or whatever other stupid places Harley riders go.  It is annoying, potentially dangerous to the hearing of others, and makes everyone hate bikers.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm pondering what bike to choose as well.  I've ruled out HD. Definitely going used.  

Right now I'm thinking Honda, Suzuki or even a Triumph.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I never understood threads like this.

It's like starting a thread in GD that says "I'm looking at buying my first Colt", and then asking recommendations on what to look out for and what type of Colt to buy.

Naturally, GD would ask things like "Do you currently or have you owned any other guns?"  "Have you ever shot before?" "Why Colt"?

We would then try to see what the OP was really trying to gain by buying a Colt, and ask "Why are you set on a Colt"?

If the OP came back and said, "Well, all the guys I hang out with own Colts, they go to the shooting club and talk about their Colts and all the cool things they've done to their Colts, some times they even shoot their Colts!, and oh by the way, the Colt-branded clothing is pretty cool!"...

we would mock the OP incessantly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I'm not sure I've ever seen a stock exhaust on a Harley outside of a dealership.  Good on you.  Your bike still can't turn well, accelerate well, or stop well but at least it's only you that you are hurting.

As far as sport bikes go, I don't see loud exhaust on them as being an issue in real life.  Yes, there are idiots out there who put straight pipes on a Busa and use WOT at every stoplight.  I've seen the videos on youtube.  However, I've never seen one in person, either in my city or in my travels.  So, they exist but they are relatively rare.  Harleys, OTOH, are a real problem.  Every idiot who is more concerned about image than function buys one, tosses on straight pipes, and revs it as he bar hops or whatever other stupid places Harley riders go.  It is annoying, potentially dangerous to the hearing of others, and makes everyone hate bikers.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This ^

Are you still constipated from that 4-lb. burger you ate four days ago? How well are you turning and accelerating?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#39]

I'll see your fatass on a Harley and raise you a pair on Honda 100's

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm pondering what bike to choose as well.  I've ruled out HD. Definitely going used.  

Right now I'm thinking Honda, Suzuki or even a Triumph.
View Quote

Brit bikes are cool but have a reputation for being expensive and having issues.  The reviews of newer models are more promising, but I'd still be wary.

As far as Japanese bikes go, all four makers build solid bikes.  I'm partial to Kawasaki but whatever floats your boat.  Are you looking at a sport bike, a street bike, a dual sport, a tourer,....?

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I was in the market for a Fatboy but went with 1200custom instead. Here's why....

http://www.hdopenroad.com/guest-articles/harley-evo-vs-twin-cams-the-sweet-years/
http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html
http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/sportster1200.html

ETA: if your buying a used twin cam bike, definately read the above links!

Bottom line is, the big twin cam motors are potential mechanical disasters amd not built like they use to be. Its a throw away design now.

My 2015 sportster. Ordered it straight from the factory.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I see all the usual assholes are here fucking the same old goat.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd look at a 2009 or newer.  They made some major changes to the frame, suspension, brakes and wheel sizes that make the bike much better.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#44]
... Congratulations! You'll be very happy
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#45]

dear god that poor bike! that dude ate heavy six
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Are you only going to ride it on the weekends?
Maybe get a bunch of leather jackets with tassels hanging off of them?
Probably wave at every other motorcycle on the road because your both riding on two wheeles?
Park it in the garage on carpet?

If so then go ahead
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#47]
GET A DEUCE.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Loud pipes save lives.   Get a Sons of Anarchy shirt.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I see all the usual assholes are here fucking the same old goat.
View Quote

Is it a V-Twin goat? The one aith the HD emblem on its fur? Because it if is, your are correct, sir!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#50]
On the internet everyone will hate you, in real life, everyone will compliment your bike.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top