Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Company I work for has a decent bonus program. As long as you don't have a safety incident throughout the year you get a big end of year bonus. This is the last time they are doing it this way, next year they are breaking it up and adding it into our quarterly bonuses, which might be better tax wise...had $1k in taxes taken out of this weeks paycheck. Weekly stub looked great, but then bam...taxes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Last time my company gave them out was in '94 or so, and they were a whopping $50 gift card to Krogers - and Krogers was a huge client so I'm guessing they got them for free or very very cheap.

Not a warm-hearted bunch I work for.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
First year in the 12 ive been working here that we aren't getting one. No big deal, I never expect one, but they are nice to get when we get them.

At this point with the oil field as bad as it is, I'm just happy to still have my job.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My company cashes out the credit card rewards points for gift cards and gives them out.  We all usually get $50-$100.  The REAL bonus comes at the end of Feb when they payout company financial bonuses.  That will be several thousands of dollars for each person.
View Quote

Thats pretty awesome.

Considering how much the engineers use the company credit cards here, the place really should get cards with cash back bonuses.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I am off for 3-6 months with shoulder rebuild/bicep tear repair. No bonus. No paycheck.  But the bonus I received from the guys/gals here helping me with the Transformers was enough to make me happy because my son will be so excited.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol bonus.
We get our longevity pay first check in December, but you have to work here a long time before its really a substantial figure.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]
2 months pay.

And we are off from Christmas Eve to January 2nd. All paid.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What the hell is a Christmas bonus?

View Quote

No shit.

My friend in IT gets 1/2 of my yearly income in a "Christmas Bonus"

I get to look at naked old people on Christmas eve and day, but it's for time and 1/2, so it's all good.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Gave out many to my guys/gal.
The Fed gets the big one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably nothing.  It seems to be some secret formula the executives use to reward their chosen.

If an employer doesn't want to do the holiday bonus, that's fine, they just need to be clear about how it works upfront.  Criteria to earn it on an individual or company-wide level, etc.  Magic voodoo turns into a political rewards system that only benefits those at the top.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've never gotten one in my life.  Small companies, big companies, never.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a bottle of egg nog and they canceled all vacation through the year end.

That's gonna happen when oil dives %40+and you sold financial products in June at $106 barrel
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#16]
No bonus expected here.

State / gov employee
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not. But then I'm retired.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
In 20 years I've never seen one.  Get the day off and a couple holiday parties so it's all good.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Very generous! How many of them kick ass for you and how many still piss moan and bellyache about trivial shit?

As a small business owner, sometimes it is tough to cough up those Christmas bonuses yet I always do. $1000.00 after tax bonuses for our five employees. We have a great little group and do appreciate them very much but damn if some of them just act miserable. Some days it's a well oiled machine and others I could strangle them...lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I gave each of my employees a bonus equal to 10% of their yearly gross.  Everyone seemed quite pleased.

Very generous! How many of them kick ass for you and how many still piss moan and bellyache about trivial shit?

As a small business owner, sometimes it is tough to cough up those Christmas bonuses yet I always do. $1000.00 after tax bonuses for our five employees. We have a great little group and do appreciate them very much but damn if some of them just act miserable. Some days it's a well oiled machine and others I could strangle them...lol.

I understand completely.

Yesterday I'm at Chase withdrawing cash for my five employees to receive at the Christmas dinner and I'm reading an email from a customer requesting us to pull out the equipment we installed and issue a refund. Two of my guys didn't follow policy and we screwed the pooch. The customer copied the General Contractor on the email so now he's involved.

I was livid but still know I have a great team. So everyone received their bonus last night and come Monday morning, everyone will receive an ass chewing.

I hope to pay out more next year. To the owner who pays out 10% of gross salary... you are to be commended. That is very generous. I hope to be in your shoes someday and pay my team like that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#20]
We never get Christmas bonuses.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I get a "bonus" every year. The criteria for getting it strictly defined.

I have never gotten a "Christmas bonus". Meaning a bonus because, hey, it's Christmas.

In my honest opinion, Christmas bonuses are fucking stupid and should disappear along with the defined benefit pension.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#22]
my job doesn't provide a Christmas Bonus, but I'm Salaried w/ hourly OT billing and holiday pay, so I have the best of both worlds.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I planned on giving out bonuses, but we haven't got paid in over a month, which makes it pretty hard to do
View Quote
Same here.  None of our customers came through with the money they owed us.  One customer is over 600 days late on $72,000.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#24]
My best friend gets $20,000 bonuses quarterly.  He chose a more lucrative career than me.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#25]
No bonus & on duty the 24th and 25th.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Bonus? LoL. I'm just stoked to have a four day weekend.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Got one every year. This year, no one in the office got one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Got one every year. This year, no one in the office got one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#31]
No. I work at a catholic non profit hospital. We used to get a bonus. The cost of upgrading to obamacare compliant computer system and other things had done away with that.

If course the a CEO still gets a bonus of over a million dollars a year. On top of his salary.

I'm nonplussed as to how this is ok with the board of directors.

Non-profit health care institutions aren't what you think they are.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#32]
What the fuck is a Christmas bonus?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Self employed. No such thing as a bonus.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Never gotten a "Christmas bonus" We do get free turkeys for Thanksgiving though. That sorta counts?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

hmmmm...I got a 10k bonus this year.....and it was definitely taxed at 33%.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got about $3000 last year as a bonus shoved into my 401k at the end of the year, but it's company stock.  

Quoted:
Quoted:
we get a 5-8% bonus every year

then they tax the bastard 33%

No, they don't.
25% top marginal bracket on the income + 7.65% FICA = 32.65%

I think that's what he meant.

That's withholding.  Not tax.  Not the same.  They "tax" it at whatever his overall tax rate it.  People often think bonuses are taxed at a higher rate than other income, and that's incorrect.  They often have the maximum withholding taken from them, but that is a different story.

It's semantics, but employers "withhold" for tax purposes but it's just an estimate. If you had them withhold at 50% does that mean you're paying 50%? So it's wrong to say "they taxed it at 33%" because your effective tax rate is determined when you file.

Most HR software calculates tax rates assuming the amount being paid out will be received for every pay period. So atypical large bonuses will seem to be taxed heavier if you're used to being in a lower tax bracket.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#36]
We don't do Christmas bonuses. Most years they give some gift cards away at the Christmas lunch for winning some stupid game.

We do profit sharing checks that they give to you at the Christmas lunch .

Once we bought ourselves away from the fucktards who use to own the place , we're making loot. Had a bonus every year for 3 years running.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#37]
For the first time in 22 years of working I am finally at a company that gives out a bonus- and a nice one at that.

I worked defense and of course at Sikorsky for 15 years. When I first got there Sikorsky would talk about a bonus but at the end of the year revenue never seemed to hit that magic spot unless you were an executive. After about 3 years they just stopped even pretending you would get one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got about $3000 last year as a bonus shoved into my 401k at the end of the year, but it's company stock.  

Quoted:
Quoted:
we get a 5-8% bonus every year

then they tax the bastard 33%

No, they don't.
25% top marginal bracket on the income + 7.65% FICA = 32.65%

I think that's what he meant.

That's withholding.  Not tax.  Not the same.  They "tax" it at whatever his overall tax rate it.  People often think bonuses are taxed at a higher rate than other income, and that's incorrect.  They often have the maximum withholding taken from them, but that is a different story.

Not, it was not.  

Unless, when you file your taxes at the end of the year, your effective tax rate after all deductions is 33%, which I highly doubt to be the case, because that is HARDLY possible to pay that much tax unless you make well over $500,000 a year.  There is a difference between what was WITHHELD from your bonus, and what it was actually taxed at.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#39]
They told me to work hard and I'll get a bonus... so I did.

They told me that I'm working hard and if I continue to do so, I'll definitely get a bonus... so I did.

Then they told me money is tight and everyone has to make sacrifices.

I just show up to work now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Getting my first actual Christmas bonus this year. I have been working for almost 30 years and usually it is a $25.00 gift card to Kroger or a ham. Expecting a few grand this time around.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Nope, freelance.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Got $100 gift card to Amazon from my company, and then a 20 pound turkey from the company I'm contracted out to.

Hey, free shit that no one was obligated to give me, I'm not complaining.
View Quote

That's pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I received an item as a gift that I was able to flip on eBay for a nice little profit (~$125).
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I found my company $70k that they didn't know they were missing last week and not even a thank you.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Normally get one weeks pay. Found out today we will get nothing this year
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#46]
My bonus is that I get to be home for Christmas instead of being in shitastan.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#47]
We don't get our bonus until after the first of the year, heard it might not be that good this year
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#48]
A what?
All I get is more taken out of a check that was reduced when I started at this place.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#49]
One of the sneakiest ways I ever saw a business owner give a bonus was to give an employee a 'special assignment'

He was told to take Monday-Wednesday off. On Monday he was supposed to take his son deer hunting, Tuesday he was to take his wife to a symphony (Boss knew the wife liked that) and Wednesday he was to send the wife out while he spent time with his small daughter.

The company supplied symphony tickets, license costs and something for the daughter.

Boss wanted a written report of what happened on his desk by Friday.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#50]
We just had a meeting about it today. They didn't tell us what we are getting but said it would be more than the $1500 they gave us last year.

Not getting the 2 weeks paid vacation that we got last year though

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top