Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 9:22:02 PM EDT
Here's my situation, out of High School (72) started working for family and others in construction. 1977 started on the PD. Still worked in construction. 1985 started my own company, Twenty six years had between 2 and 12 workers. 2010 sold house in NJ moved to WV. after getting house set up and un packed I looked around for some work. I found someone who had built a lot of homes at the Greenbrier Resort The first questions from him were 1) do you have a license?( Yes ) 2 do you have transportation? (Yes) do you have your own tools? (Yes).He said When can you start?
We met and I showed him some pictures of my past jobs and he hired me then and there. His comment was that there is a limited  pool to draw from.
That was August 2010. I have not called in sick yet. Yes I do take off days but do not get payed  for them. I run his jobs like they were mine, If something is wrong or we are short of materials or anything else, I let him know.
This one job I worked on for just a few days, became a problem for him when the contractor he was billing questioned the Number of hours. I had a general idea of where I worked, but I  knew the number of hours worked.
That got ironed out in the long run.
The next week he shows on pay day with a time sheet for all employees.
Time  start of work.Time of break,Time end of work Time end of work
One day his nephew and step son set 14 Square feet of tile in 20 hours. I and my helper set 96 sq ft. in 22 hrs.
I don't have a problem with a time sheet, what I have a problem is, Is that I am the only non family employee.
His Nephew spends more time trying not to work, than actually working. (Texting, phone calls etc.)
His step son, his nephews helper. does most of the work.
My helper (employer's daughters boyfriend) is a good helper can make cuts to the 1/16" but is constantly texting (19 years old) I never counted 15 min early or over until now, I feel that I should now become like a regular employee, Don't give a F**K. I really don't to do that because I like the guy I work for.
Had him and family to my house for a BBQ.
Any advise would be welcome

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I got nothing, except I advise you to learn how to spell advice.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried having a talk with the guy and telling him everything you just posted here?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Been there done that..not worth it.  You will always work harder than them, and you will be the first one gone when times get tough.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what you are asking.  

1) Put in your time
2) go home
3) repeat a 1 & 2 few times
4) collect pay check
5) pay bills
6) buy fun stuff
7) start over at #1
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#5]
sorry me. mis typed, ass hole
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Blood is thicker than you, sorry.

You've run a crew and taken care of this guy, but it doesn't sound like he's taking care of you.

If it's a small area where you are, if you quit and open your own thing, might be a bad idea.

OTOH, they're family. They'll never work as hard as you, and probably will never learn the value of doing things right.

Swing the hammer until you can't take it anymore, fall off the side of a project, go out on disability?

Follow your conscience. If the guy truly doesn't know what's going on, clue him in. He may be doing the sheet because the clients see his kids fucking off, and he thinks this will solve the problem. It won't, as you know.

You and I live in a world where we think we should always do our best, whether it's mission critical or mopping floors, but that's not how things are done now. I have no answer for you that will allow you to keep your dignity and ensure future employment while at the same time address and solve the work problems around you, but I do feel your pain.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:05:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sorry me. mis typed, ass hole
View Quote

OP, which member are you insulting and why do you feel that COC general guideline #6 doesn't apply to you?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:16:02 AM EDT
[#8]
All that shit and much more is why I got my contractors license years ago and have remained self employed.

There is no shortage of bullshit in my business, but at least I don't have to deal with shit I don't want to for very long. Drama only lasts until the end of the contract, it's not a life long encumbrance.

You signed up to be someone's employee, you get to deal with the politics in exchange for job security. You can free yourself from that shit if you wish to strike off on your own, but the trade off is you have to secure your own jobs. You get to take on more stress, more responsibility, and if you manage it right you make more $.

This is how it works on planet Earth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:17:39 AM EDT
[#9]
What the hell are you even asking?

Please advice.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:19:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What the hell are you even asking?

Please advice.
View Quote

"Please advise"
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Slack off like everyone else or keep working hard?

Obvious choice is obvious. They're kids, what did you expect. Laugh it off.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I was in a similar boat years ago.  I got an article published in Fine Woodworking magazine.  The owner of a local finished stair company saw it and called me up and I was hired.  Turns out his future sons-in-law got hired on like a month or two after me.  They were the owner's daughters' babies daddies, if that makes sense.

The owner tried to get me in there on a Saturday for straight time.  I told him no and the following Monday he laid me off.  

About a year after that, I had heard that he still had not paid into his SIL's insurance.  Then a year after that I guess he went out of business because I saw all of his shop equipment on Craig's List.

My advice:  go find another job if you're that good,

Once hired, give your two weeks notice, and don't look back.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I advice you to paragraph
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I read your post and I am not sure exactly what your point is, but in general, use your experience to better yourself. It sounds like you could work somewhere else or start your own business.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#15]
You need to have a long talk with employer.
He might not like what you need to tell him, but he needs to know.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#16]
You're mad because the guy instituted a time sheet after one of his clients challenged billed hours? What he is doing makes perfect sense. What did I miss? Are you mad some of the other guys are lazy or?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#17]
It won't change.....find something else and walk.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I read your post and I am not sure exactly what your point is, but in general, use your experience to better yourself. It sounds like you could work somewhere else or start your own business.
View Quote

Runs a crew, owners family members are useless slow lazy gits who have low work output.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#19]
OP that sounds like the typical youth here in Greenbrier County and I'm sure all over the US. Yes it sucks. We stopped some of that by banning phones on the floor while at work. Now we have issues with some taking longer breaks than are allowed and we are starting to deal with that. You are up a creek with it being the owners family, you are the outsider. I would make it clear to him what is happening, if you feel comfortable about it. Make sure you have another jig lined up before you give an ultimatum.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Cold, hard facts should run the business.  If the owner is aware that he is paying his relatives for a productivity level that is about 1/4th what he is getting from you, he is accepting the result.  Use the time sheet and production level to point it out to him. '22 hours for 16 sq ft vs 22 hours for 96 sq ft'.  If he is unimpressed, move along since he values his relatives more than his livelihood.  

BTW, this is GD, home of the grammar police and 'join date' nazis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top