Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/18/2014 12:06:16 PM EDT
What are some tools I should have to help me on my quest to kill time and have fun in the long dark winter months of upstate NY.  

My list so far is

Drill press
Band Saw
Vise, both a bench one and for the drill press
Belt sander

I'm not looking to sell these or get crazy, I just want to have some fun and start up a new hobby, I enjoy making things and have had fun making knives in the past with people that have had the tools to do so.    

I'll just start out buying knife kits to get used to putting everything together.    

I've got stuff from here before

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php

------------------------

UPDATE

I think I am going to get a KMG Belt Grinder

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=3

It will be a bit before I can save up enough to buy one but I think its for the best.    I am chomping at the bit to get making knifes but I want to do it right, I don't want to limit myself by buying some shit.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Torch for tempering?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Made this the other day from an old saw that was hanging in a barn. Didn't need a band saw, had one before but I never used it. I use a cheap 99 Ryobi drill press, works for me.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Made this the other day from an old saw that was hanging in a barn. Didn't need a band saw, had one before but I never used it. I use a cheap 99 Ryobi drill press, works for me.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/pikappa167/00BDFDE8-DFDE-4B10-A040-EBB0151918E3.jpg

View Quote

cool!

I just want to play around and have fun, I've done it a few times and enjoyed making them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Torch for tempering?
View Quote

not sure to be honest, I'm just going to start with pre-made blades before I move on to making my own blades.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
knifekits.com

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy the book "50 dollar knife shop" by Wayne Goddard. Great intro to budget knifemaking.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a good dust mask.  Not those cheap disposable.  You don't need your lungs being filled up with metal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get a good dust mask.  Not those cheap disposable.  You don't need your lungs being filled up with metal.
View Quote

good tip, thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Files, rasps, sandpaper.

I'd YouTube Walter Sorrell's knifemaking videos, he has a great series on tools.  Side note, he is an IDPA shooter and has appeared in Glock ads...seems like a good dude.  His videos have good production value and don't look like they were shot through a shower curtain.

My two cents would be to skip the kits and get some 1084 steel from Aldo Bruno (NJ Steel Baron or something like that), and make your own designs.  Instead of shelling out $25 for a knife blank you can get a 4 foot piece of steel you could get 4-6 knives out of.

1084 works well with a simple heat treat via charcoal, coal, propane forge...with tempering in a home oven or toaster oven.  All kinds of plans for coffee can forges and hair drier forges out there.

I'd do some reading on the various blade forums as well.

Another cheap method to goof around is by modifying a good, inexpensve knife like the Old Hickory Butcher knife into something more packable...again, Youtube is your friend.

Good luck!

PS-Look at Hock (the plane blade folks) for some sweet paring and kitchen knife blanks if you want to go that route.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#11]
tag

TRG
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Files, rasps, sandpaper.

I'd YouTube Walter Sorrell's knifemaking videos, he has a great series on tools.  Side note, he is an IDPA shooter and has appeared in Glock ads...seems like a good dude.  His videos have good production value and don't look like they were shot through a shower curtain.

My two cents would be to skip the kits and get some 1084 steel from Aldo Bruno (NJ Steel Baron or something like that), and make your own designs.  Instead of shelling out $25 for a knife blank you can get a 4 foot piece of steel you could get 4-6 knives out of.

1084 works well with a simple heat treat via charcoal, coal, propane forge...with tempering in a home oven or toaster oven.  All kinds of plans for coffee can forges and hair drier forges out there.

I'd do some reading on the various blade forums as well.

Another cheap method to goof around is by modifying a good, inexpensve knife like the Old Hickory Butcher knife into something more packable...again, Youtube is your friend.

Good luck!

PS-Look at Hock (the plane blade folks) for some sweet paring and kitchen knife blanks if you want to go that route.
View Quote

awesome!  thanks man
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/pikappa167/00BDFDE8-DFDE-4B10-A040-EBB0151918E3.jpg
View Quote

That's beautiful! The shape is so unusual. I would buy that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I wold also recommend  to get 1084 from Aldo Bruno is sound advice. I have about 50 four foot bars of his 1084 and it's outstanding metal. He is a great guy to work with but can sometimes be hard to get a hold of.  1084 is a very easy steel to work with and makes nice sharp blades. My first blades I made with mostly sandpaper and a set if files. On files I really like the whats called a multi cut file they are real nice. I built 2 forges 1 vertical and 1 horizontal, and also built my own PID controlled electric oven that holds temps within 5 degrees at 2000 degrees.

If you would like I could chop a 2 foot bar into 2 12 inch pieces and you can go from there. It is 2 inches wide by 1/4 inch thick
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#15]
i'll have to post a picture of the Khukri I got. it was hand made in Nepal. and its not one of those tourist knives either its a working mans knife.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#16]
any recommendations on sandpaper or other little odd bits to go with my tools or that will just generally make my life easier?

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wold also recommend  to get 1084 from Aldo Bruno is sound advice. I have about 50 four foot bars of his 1084 and it's outstanding metal. He is a great guy to work with but can sometimes be hard to get a hold of.  1084 is a very easy steel to work with and makes nice sharp blades. My first blades I made with mostly sandpaper and a set if files. On files I really like the whats called a multi cut file they are real nice. I built 2 forges 1 vertical and 1 horizontal, and also built my own PID controlled electric oven that holds temps within 5 degrees at 2000 degrees.

If you would like I could chop a 2 foot bar into 2 12 inch pieces and you can go from there. It is 2 inches wide by 1/4 inch thick
View Quote

I'll look at his stuff
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I was in your shoes about a year and half ago and took the leap.  Here is I think my 4th knife I did a year or so ago:

Your list is good.  The first item I couldn't part with is the drill press.  You can use an angle grinder in place of the band saw but it's much faster and cleaner.  The craftsman 2x42 belt sander is a nice economical belt sander that with some mods works fine.  You can do an amazing amount of knife making with files and sandpaper.
Do you plan to do your own heat treating?   A propane forge is probably your best bet if so.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Here are some kitchen/ extra steak knives out of bandsaw blades.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#20]
My uncle learned knife making in prison.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was in your shoes about a year and half ago and took the leap.  Here is I think my 4th knife I did a year or so ago:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/tkwildcat/IMG_5741_zps840d3059.jpg
Your list is good.  The first item I couldn't part with is the drill press.  You can use an angle grinder in place of the band saw but it's much faster and cleaner.  The craftsman 2x42 belt sander is a nice economical belt sander that with some mods works fine.  You can do an amazing amount of knife making with files and sandpaper.
Do you plan to do your own heat treating?   A propane forge is probably your best bet if so.
View Quote

I probably will eventually.   Right now I just want to get started playing around, and as I learn and get better and more comfortable making things I'll start doing more
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#22]
10 years ago, I started with a drill press, bandsaw and a belt grinder.  A dremel is a big help too.  I use a lot of 3m wet/dry sand paper to finish the blades.  In the beginning just practice grinding the bevels.  It will take time, but the more you do, the better you will get.  As for heat treating, just send it off to get done at least in the beginning.  I use Peters Heat Treating in northern Pa.  I think it is somewhere around $14 per blade and you get a discount with 10 blades.

Here are two of my more recent builds...

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
10 years ago, I started with a drill press, bandsaw and a belt grinder.  A dremel is a big help too.  I use a lot of 3m wet/dry sand paper to finish the blades.  In the beginning just practice grinding the bevels.  It will take time, but the more you do, the better you will get.  As for heat treating, just send it off to get done at least in the beginning.  I use Peters Heat Treating in northern Pa.  I think it is somewhere around $14 per blade and you get a discount with 10 blades.

http://techno-ruby.smugmug.com/photos/i-FVRsRT4/0/L/i-FVRsRT4-L.jpg

http://techno-ruby.smugmug.com/photos/i-j268W4k/0/L/i-j268W4k-L.jpg
View Quote

damn
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Beautiful grinds. What would the hourly rate be for that knife?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'll take both, Thanks.   I'll IM you my address

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hourly rate...  I don't even know how many hours I have in my carved pieces...  The top one sold for $1800.  The bottom one was just in the Jan edition of Blade Magazine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hourly rate...  I don't even know how many hours I have in my carved pieces...  The top one sold for $1800.  The bottom one was just in the Jan edition of Blade Magazine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was getting at. The crappy little knife I made would be $300 at $15per hour. obviously it's not remotely that expensive.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#29]
ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SAFETY GEAR to include a QUALITY Respirator and NEVER WEAR GLOVE WHEN DOING YOUR GRINDING.

Get some tool and die makers stones in 400 grit for cleaning up your bevels. They are way faster than 400 grit sandpaper and last longer. I use WD 40 as a lubricant when using the stones. After you have your bevels cleaned up with the stones you can switch to sandpaper for the final hand rubbed finish.

This archived thread Building a folding knife with DKM shows a bunch of the tools I use to build folders and how I go about doing so.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SAFETY GEAR to include a QUALITY Respirator and NEVER WEAR GLOVE WHEN DOING YOUR GRINDING.

Get some tool and die makers stones in 400 grit for cleaning up your bevels. They are way faster than 400 grit sandpaper and last longer. I use WD 40 as a lubricant when using the stones. After you have your bevels cleaned up with the stones you can switch to sandpaper for the final hand rubbed finish.

This archived thread Building a folding knife with DKM shows a bunch of the tools I use to build folders and how I go about doing so.
View Quote

Should i wear any type of protective gear while cutting or sanding?   I'll have a respirator and goggles on
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great tutorial...  What are the stones you are talking about?  I have never herd of this for the bevels.  I do 99% hollow grinds.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Should i wear any type of protective gear while cutting or sanding?   I'll have a respirator and goggles on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any dust is bad for you.  Look into what you are cutting.  For example, Cocobolo wood is in the same family as poison ivy.  If you get poison, cocobolo may be a problem for you.  I know some people who can't even be in the same room that was used to cut that wood in.  Just use your head with power tools.  I had a titanium fire on my chest one time...  My resperator and safety glasses saved my face...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, Ciraxis the gauntlet has been thrown!
Now you need to do a "watch me make a knife thread".
With your photo skillz, I bet you can take um!
If you do one I'll offer up some exotic woods for the scales...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#35]
I started about 1.5 years ago. Here is a fairly recent paring knife of mine:

Here it is after my logo was etched onto it:

I haven't taken photos of my recent stuff but the next few that I make i'll grab some photos. I agree with the poster above who recommended 1084, even after using steels like D2, O1, 1095, etc, 1084 is still my favorite to work with and use.

I recommend a forge or heat treating oven (I started with a forge, I'd recommend others to do the same) Here is where I got mine http://www.diamondbackironworks.com/ They are fantastic quality.

Here is an old video of me making a knife out of a file that I reuploaded this year, I am still using the crappy 1x30 in this. I now have a Pheer PH454 variable speed 1HP 2x72 belt sander that I love. Either way though, you get to see how I started:
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

oh I plan on doing something, I just need to get everything together.     I would love to photograph some knives.    

If anyone has a really kick ass knife that they want me to photograph let me know, we can discuss how to get it done.   I've got a whole studio and the best digital camera on the market waiting.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#37]
what kind of metal should I buy or blanks or kits etc to just start practicing on?

I'd like to have a simple pattern of say pairing or small kitchen knife that I can work on the basics.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

oh I plan on doing something, I just need to get everything together.     I would love to photograph some knives.    

If anyone has a really kick ass knife that they want me to photograph let me know, we can discuss how to get it done.   I've got a whole studio and the best digital camera on the market waiting.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha I suck at taking photos of my knives. I am using an older DSLR that my fiancee owns and no good place in my apartment to take photos. It's something that I probably need to put some attention into in the near future when I start selling my knives (in the process of creating some base models now).
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
what kind of metal should I buy or blanks or kits etc to just start practicing on?

I'd like to have a simple pattern of say pairing or small kitchen knife that I can work on the basics.
View Quote

I'd say 1084, 1095, or O1 are good starter steels. 1084 being my all time favorite. Are you going to attempt your own heat treat or send it off? All three of those can be heat treated with a forge/torch if needed, you wont get perfect results but for your first few it'll be fine. Keep things simple for the first 10 or so knives, no wild blade or handle profiles, no wild steel types or handle materials, keep it simple. Learn the basics before you go and attempt something hard. A good learning knife design is the classic Kephart pattern. Its comfortable to use and has a lot of easy shapes to make on a belt sander.

Just my 2 cents!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'd say 1084, 1095, or O1 are good starter steels. 1084 being my all time favorite. Are you going to attempt your own heat treat or send it off? All three of those can be heat treated with a forge/torch if needed, you wont get perfect results but for your first few it'll be fine. Keep things simple for the first 10 or so knives, no wild blade or handle profiles, no wild steel types or handle materials, keep it simple. Learn the basics before you go and attempt something hard. A good learning knife design is the classic Kephart pattern. Its comfortable to use and has a lot of easy shapes to make on a belt sander.

Just my 2 cents!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents!

I plan to, I want to take my time and have fun but also learn how to do this.   I have a lot of reading and watching ahead of me but should be fun.     I'm in no hurry to start diving into my own creations.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#42]

sweet!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Priority one is the vice, drill press (low speed is the critical one, you want down to 300-350) and belt grinder. If you're willing to spend the coin, get a 2x72 direct drive with 1hp or a belt drive with 1.5hp. The craftsman isn't bad but they've gotten worse over the years. If you do go that route make sure to get a piece of thermal glass from one of the knife making vendors and secure it to the platen. The metal platen it comes with is just going to warp and flex under pressure.

Files are doable if you want to go that route, but they are a very different work flow and will require some additional hardware to go with the vice to be more practical.

If you want to heat treat yourself, start with 1084 from Aldo Bruno. If you want to send it out you're going to want to do more at once and send them to Peters or Paul Bros. Both have excellent reps and have been around a long time. If you are using a "real" grinder not the little craftsman you can profile the blades, drill the holes and do a little prep work on them before sending them out for heat treating as a group, then finish them later to economize the shipping and heat treating costs. If you're sending it out you can use any steel you want, really. I like CPM154 as a general purpose steel but there are plenty of options. For self heat treat there's no beating 1084 as a new maker.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

that bottom knife is the most beautiful knife I've ever seen...Seriously...Amazing.

I forged my first knife several months and I'm hooked.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could you elaborate on the die makers stones?  any specific company you recommend?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#47]
From those with experience what are some good drill presses, grinders etc...I don't want to hijack Ciraxis's thread but I'd love to see some low, mid and high range options for the essential gear. I've been trudging along with a forge, hot cut chisels and an angle grinder but I really want to get the proper tools.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Am I the only one that thinks learning to forge a blade is the step that comes before making a knife? All this grinding talk with jigs and fancy stones seems like it's putting the cart before the horse.

Quoted:From those with experience what are some good drill presses, grinders etc...I don't want to hijack Ciraxis's thread but I'd love to see some low, mid and high range options for the essential gear. I've been trudging along with a forge, hot cut chisels and an angle grinder but I really want to get the proper tools.
View Quote
I have a 2 burner forge and a 360# anvil. A drill press from Lowes, 2 angle grinders and a vise. If anything, I would add a belt grinder, but that's it. But then again, I wanted to *make* knives, not grind metal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

damn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

damn

Double Damn

OP, I got friends who got into knife-making and you are getting some good advice here, believe me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that thinks learning to forge a blade is the step that comes before making a knife? All this grinding talk with jigs and fancy stones seems like it's putting the cart before the horse.

I have a 2 burner forge and a 360# anvil. A drill press from Lowes, 2 angle grinders and a vise. If anything, I would add a belt grinder, but that's it. But then again, I wanted to *make* knives, not grind metal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:From those with experience what are some good drill presses, grinders etc...I don't want to hijack Ciraxis's thread but I'd love to see some low, mid and high range options for the essential gear. I've been trudging along with a forge, hot cut chisels and an angle grinder but I really want to get the proper tools.

Honestly, I learned how to make a knife before I learned how to forge and I am glad I did it that way. Because I know what the final product is and the shapes and curves required to make a good knife. I would recommend people do the material reduction method way before the forging, but thats just my take. I am sure going either direction is fine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top