User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, it is definitely not.

Like I said, you could become educated if you were really interested.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the Trinity is a polytheistic concept.

+1.  Even I understand the concept of the Trinity.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Christmas because the evergreen tree reminds me that, though the frost giants have stolen the sun, they can not triumph and the life giver will return to us soon.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL. These are great.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why would a perfect being with infinite power create a hell with the foreknowledge, and therefore the intent, that most of mankind would be tortured there forever?
View Quote

Because he loves us?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Actually, this is what Jesus said about that:

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:17–19

Not to mention that the Ten Commandments are Old Testament law.

So if you're going to take this religion seriously, you should be out there killing witches, gays, disobedient children, non-vigins, those who worship other gods, and anyone who works on the Sabbath.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We aren't meant to live by the laws of the old testament.  Jesus Himself said so.

Actually, this is what Jesus said about that:

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:17–19

Not to mention that the Ten Commandments are Old Testament law.

So if you're going to take this religion seriously, you should be out there killing witches, gays, disobedient children, non-vigins, those who worship other gods, and anyone who works on the Sabbath.

Might want to read the entire chapter for context there .
He had given specific commands throughout the first half of the chapter.

Jesus touched the unclean.
Jesus ate with dirty hands.
Jesus and friends picked their food on the Sabbath.

And the scribes of the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, said to his disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.” Mark 2

Placing ones faith in Jesus is not about stoning other people to death...it's about recognizing that I deserve to be stoned to death.
We don't have to condemn sinners...we have already been condemned.
Judgment has been pronounced and death is the sentence. Romans 6:23
Jesus came and took that judgment upon himself.

He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.1Peter 2:24
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then why do they have different names?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So Jesus is also a god? Wouldn't that make Christianity a polytheistic religion?

I think jesus and god are the same.

Father, son, and holy ghost. Or something like that

Then why do they have different names?

Same reason that Abraham's god and Muhammed's have different names. So as to confuse the masses.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Odd, the Bible advocates slavery.

Leviticus 25:44-46:

"As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may acquire male and female slaves. You may also acquire them from among the aliens residing with you, and from their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property. You may keep them as a possession for your children after you, for them to inherit as property. These you may treat as slaves, but as for your fellow Israelites, no one shall rule over the other with harshness."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:The abolitionist movement was started by Christians.  

Odd, the Bible advocates slavery.

Leviticus 25:44-46:

"As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may acquire male and female slaves. You may also acquire them from among the aliens residing with you, and from their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property. You may keep them as a possession for your children after you, for them to inherit as property. These you may treat as slaves, but as for your fellow Israelites, no one shall rule over the other with harshness."
As if slavery was inique to the Jews at that time in human history.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No - not at all.  See my post above this.

ETA:  To quote myself:

See the flying spaghetti monster post above.  That illustrates my point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a subset of Arfcommers that wait around just to act like jerks in threads like this.

Do you really mean to say that disagreement is, by definition, acting like a jerk?

I hope not.

No - not at all.  See my post above this.

ETA:  To quote myself:

I don't have a problem with them believing something different than myself. That's entirely their option - free will and all that.

I have a problem when they understand that for many here, it's a deeply held belief system - as important to them as their relationship to their family.

Many times, their responses aren't to honestly question - but mainly to mock and to try to offend.

See the flying spaghetti monster post above.  That illustrates my point.

OK, just checking, I really didn't think you would say that.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
There is this book that has a lot of these answers.

Google will get you to many more and some actually disagree with each other. Interesting reading and kind of fun to go back to the Book to verify what people say and believe.

Btw, there is no Hell yet and nobody burns forever. Read the book.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:33:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's called the Trinity. It is hard to grasp, but then, if you believe in the Almighty God, then you know all is possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So Jesus is also a god? Wouldn't that make Christianity a polytheistic religion?

It's called the Trinity. It is hard to grasp, but then, if you believe in the Almighty God, then you know all is possible.

Since you concede that "all" is possible and since the 1st commandment states that you shall have no gods before Him but is mute on the possibility of gods after, is it possible that lesser gods exist?

I'm fond of Mars and Bacchus and the goddess Epona.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the Trinity is a polytheistic concept.

It's easy enough to understand but credulity isn't sexy.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bet you could look up "The Trinity" with a search engine and find the answers ...
View Quote

From Wikipedia:

"In Christian tradition the Trinity is a mystery of faith revealed in scripture, historically being deemed unknowable by unaided human reason and not capable of logical demonstration once revealed, being above reason without being incompatible with the principles of rational thought."

In other words, it's crazy but the shamans tell you to believe it anyway.

And make an offering while you're at it. Even gods need a little walking'-around money.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Between MacArthur & Alistair Begg (truthforlife.org), I often feel like I just walked away from the Thanksgiving table...having had waaaay more than I bargained for.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#14]
ITT: Atheists who like to poke fun at religion
      Atheist trolls
      Religious folks who can't agree on the minutia of various doctrine
      Religious folks who try to answer questions with sincerity

And at least one Anti-theist that just watches the absurdity of it all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#15]
T1nman quick question for ya;
I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

Good post in honestly brother, glad to see it posted.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Mary gave birth to little baby Jesus, Jesus is the lamb of God.

Thus Mary had a little lamb.

Good chruch joke for ya.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. Think three forms of the same deity. Tangible, intangible, and transcendent.

I personally don't get why it was presented/explained that way in Christianity (the Trinity), and I think it causes a lot of confusion for those on the outside looking in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Since you concede that "all" is possible and since the 1st commandment states that you shall have no gods before Him but is mute on the possibility of gods after, is it possible that lesser gods exist?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The clans of old, and even today, place godship on many things. Be it the Asherah pole of the Canaanites or the almighty dollar of people today. Placing our trust and devotion to those things turns them into that which we honor, so in turn having no gods before Him.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Jews, who are sort of experts on Hebrew, say there is only one God, and to suggest that he has a son and that this son is also God, is a blasphemy.  Interestingly enough, all of the parts of the bible that Christians cite as prophesizing the coming of Jesus, the Jews translate differently.  There Messiah will be a man.  One heck of a man, but just a man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's kinda simply complicated.

The word God in Hebrew is "The One God who is plural".....

His universe-His rules.

The Jews, who are sort of experts on Hebrew, say there is only one God, and to suggest that he has a son and that this son is also God, is a blasphemy.  Interestingly enough, all of the parts of the bible that Christians cite as prophesizing the coming of Jesus, the Jews translate differently.  There Messiah will be a man.  One heck of a man, but just a man.

hold your horses...

http://www.chosenpeople.com/main/index.php/messianic-congregations-sp

http://www.amazon.com/The-Messianic-Hope-theHebrew-Theology/dp/0805446540

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

HA! You are trolling and I am simply telling you the truth.
You don't repent, accept Christ as your Savior then its
Extra Crispy for you. Oh well..........

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You I'm going to bet will be 'extra crispy'

There's the Christian love we all know.

HA! You are trolling and I am simply telling you the truth.
You don't repent, accept Christ as your Savior then its
Extra Crispy for you. Oh well..........

So you are a fan of Dante's version of hell?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Good chruch joke for ya.
View Quote

This made me chuckle
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ah...a little Sunday School is good for these fellers.

Besides, bashing Jesus at Christmas unites them with Liberals which reminds us all just a little of Christmas Miracles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just an FYI, these threads usually turn into gnashing of the teeth where the actual OP is long forgotten in favor of arguments over religion as a whole.  I think this would be a good post for the religion subforum.

Ah...a little Sunday School is good for these fellers.

Besides, bashing Jesus at Christmas unites them with Liberals which reminds us all just a little of Christmas Miracles.

I like your strategery...

Men of good will are always the critical factor.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Summary of Trinity from John Piper

Let us quickly review what we have seen.
1. The Trinity is not belief in three gods. There is only one God, and we must never stray from this.
2. This one God exists as three Persons.
3. The three Persons are not each part of God, but are each fully God and equally God. Within God's one undivided being there is an unfolding into three interpersonal relationships such that there are three Persons. The distinctions within the Godhead are not distinctions of His essence and neither are they something added on to His essence, but they are the unfolding of God's one, undivided being into three interpersonal relationships such that there are three real Persons.
4. God is not one person who took three consecutive roles. That is the heresy of modalism. The Father did not become the Son and then the Holy Spirit. Instead, there have always been and always will be three distinct persons in the Godhead.
5. The Trinity is not a contradiction because God is not three in the same way that He is one. God is one in essence, three in Person.
ApplicationThe Trinity is first of all important because God is important. To understand more fully what God is like is a way of honoring God. Further, we should allow the fact that God is triune to deepen our worship. We exist to worship God. And God seeks people to worship Him in "spirit and truth" (John 4:24). Therefore we must always endeavor to deepen our worship of God-in truth as well as in our hearts.
The Trinity has a very significant application to prayer. The general pattern of prayer in the Bible is to pray to the Father through the Son and in the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 2:18). Our fellowship with God should be enhanced by consciously knowing that we are relating to a tri-personal God!
Awareness of the distinct role that each Person of the Trinity has in our salvation can especially serve to give us greater comfort and appreciation for God in our prayers, as well as helping us to be specific in directing our prayers. Nonetheless, while recognizing the distinct roles that each Person has, we should never think of their roles as so separate that the other Persons are not involved. Rather, everything that one Person is involved in, the other two are also involved in, one way or another.
View Quote

None of that makes even a little bit of sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
If you had known me, you would have known my Father also.
From now on you do know him and have seen him.”- Jesus

John 14
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let the Beauty that we Love be what we Do
There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
If you had known me, you would have known my Father also.
From now on you do know him and have seen him.”- Jesus

John 14

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, worshipper, lover of leaving - it doesn't matter,
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Come, even if you have broken your vow a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.

A voice inside the beat says, "I know you're tired, but come. This is the way.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So you are a fan of Dante's version of hell?
View Quote

"Christians"
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

View Quote

Yep, neoprene is a synthetic material not listed in Leviticus.
That or sign up with the kickers and punters....
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Deuteronomy 13
1. Everything I command you that you shall be careful to do it. You shall neither add to it, nor subtract from it.
2. If there will arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of a dream, and he gives you a sign or a wonder,
3. and the sign or the wonder of which he spoke to you happens, [and he] says, "Let us go after other gods which you have not known, and let us worship them,"  
4. you shall not heed the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of a dream; for the Lord, your God, is testing you, to know whether you really love the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul.
5. You shall follow the Lord, your God, fear Him, keep His commandments, heed His voice, worship Him, and cleave to Him.
6. And that prophet, or that dreamer of a dream shall be put to death; because he spoke falsehood about the Lord, your God Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and Who redeemed you from the house of bondage, to lead you astray from the way in which the Lord, your God, commanded you to go; so shall you clear away the evil from your midst.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No. Think three forms of the same deity. Tangible, intangible, and transcendent.

I personally don't get why it was presented/explained that way in Christianity (the Trinity), and I think it causes a lot of confusion for those on the outside looking in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So does that make Jesus steam, liquid water or ice. And if the one god has 3 states, what does he do to cover plasma?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

George Carlin chose the sun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1. The Trinity is not belief in three gods. There is only one God, and we must never stray from this.

3. The three Persons are not each part of God, but are each fully God and equally God. Within God's one undivided being there is an unfolding into three interpersonal relationships such that there are three Persons. The distinctions within the Godhead are not distinctions of His essence and neither are they something added on to His essence, but they are the unfolding of God's one, undivided being into three interpersonal relationships such that there are three real Persons.

4. God is not one person who took three consecutive roles. That is the heresy of modalism. The Father did not become the Son and then the Holy Spirit. Instead, there have always been and always will be three distinct persons in the Godhead.

5. The Trinity is not a contradiction because God is not three in the same way that He is one. God is one in essence, three in Person.

ApplicationThe Trinity is first of all important because God is important. To understand more fully what God is like is a way of honoring God. Further, we should allow the fact that God is triune to deepen our worship. We exist to worship God. And God seeks people to worship Him in "spirit and truth" (John 4:24). Therefore we must always endeavor to deepen our worship of God-in truth as well as in our hearts.

The Trinity has a very significant application to prayer. The general pattern of prayer in the Bible is to pray to the Father through the Son and in the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 2:18). Our fellowship with God should be enhanced by consciously knowing that we are relating to a tri-personal God!

Awareness of the distinct role that each Person of the Trinity has in our salvation can especially serve to give us greater comfort and appreciation for God in our prayers, as well as helping us to be specific in directing our prayers. Nonetheless, while recognizing the distinct roles that each Person has, we should never think of their roles as so separate that the other Persons are not involved. Rather, everything that one Person is involved in, the other two are also involved in, one way or another.

It's not supposed to.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The clans of old, and even today, place godship on many things. Be it the Asherah pole of the Canaanites or the almighty dollar of people today. Placing our trust and devotion to those things turns them into that which we honor, so in turn having no gods before Him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wheels got loose there around the last turn. It seems like you're headed for the whole man makes god in his own image thing with a stop through man imbues nature with divinity land but you didn't quite tie it in with the gods before him part.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's not supposed to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not supposed to.

According to this thread it is.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So does that make Jesus steam, liquid water or ice. And if the one god has 3 states, what does he do to cover plasma?
View Quote

In my humble opinion,
Jesus = ice (physical to the touch and solid)
Holy Spirit = steam
God = water (giver of life and eternal water)
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Mohammed said nothing about potatoes so Vodka is halal.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not supposed to.

They're a bit more invested than I am.

It's just like Young Earth Creationism, it's about faith.

Faith isn't about reason or evidence, it's about feelings.

The fundamental requirement of faith is that you aren't supposed to understand or demand evidence.

Hebrews 11:1

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Jesus plainly stated that it will seem like foolishness to those that do not believe.
View Quote

He got that right.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

In my humble opinion,
Holy Spirit = steam
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my humble opinion,
Holy Spirit = steam

but what about plasma? Plasma is every bit as valid a state of matter as boring old water.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Actually, my friend Troubl3shooter is correct.

It will not "make sense" to an unbeliever.

It takes Faith to understand.  And faith is a Gift.

Jesus plainly stated that it will seem like foolishness to those that do not believe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not supposed to.

Old_P,
I know this is scripturally accurate and some phrases about hardening of hearts, and giving over to a reprobate mind pop into my head... do you know any of those passages of the top of your head for quick reference?

I'm enjoying this thread, I should spend more time in the religion forum and smarten up a little

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not supposed to.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The fundamental requirement of faith is that you aren't supposed to understand or demand evidence.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not supposed to.

I have seen prayers answered by miracles and people moved by the hand of God. I still dont believe Jesus changed the old laws.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Got to run, but if any of you pagan/heathen fellers would like a couple of great books and a Bible shoot me your address and I'll get you the following on me.
It's kind of like the Amazon thread but totally free and of actually lasting value....unlike 100 count boxes of dog collars.

Mere Christianity

Knowledge of the Holy

The Bible
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I hate to say I told you so
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
but what about plasma? Plasma is every bit as valid a state of matter as boring old water.
View Quote

Your question was towards water, ice, and steam though
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have seen prayers answered by miracles and people moved by the hand of God. I still dont believe Jesus changed the old laws.
View Quote

Care to tell us about the miracles?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having never seen anything that defied the laws of physics myself, I'm interested, too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

The problem isn't whether what you say happened or didn't but the complete inability to prove it.

I'm still on the fence on this one. Nobody can cite an appropriate authority to say who's actually correct.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will, If it is okay with the OP. But I will have to do it tomorrow or the next day so anyone interested subscribe to this thread. I have been on here all day, and when it is time work I am asked to make a long post. I dont mean to leave you hanging, and this won't be a safe thread post.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I will, If it is okay with the OP. But I will have to do it tomorrow or the next day so subscribe to this thread. I dont mean to leave you hanging, and this wound be a safe thread post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will, If it is okay with the OP. But I will have to do it tomorrow or the next day so subscribe to this thread. I dont mean to leave you hanging, and this wound be a safe thread post.

This sucker will be locked by tomorrow after breakfast.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top