Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/17/2014 3:36:39 PM EDT
So we do not have a wood burning stove. Standard gas furnace. My question is in a hypothetical situation the power goes out and temp's plummet. Would it be possible to do a "New York" style burn barrel inside to generate emergency heat? Obviously carbon monoxide and fire guarantee, but what options do you have? Having one outside seems like it would be somewhat of a burden. Is there a way you can fabricate something i a hurry to do the same thing?

I'm talking no power for weeks type of deal.

ETA: Fixed title to not seem as trolly lol

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
lol your ceiling would look awesome.... and your floor might have a cool new design
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Fireplace?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Its called a wood stove
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Propane heater?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
You will die. Either from the CO or when you burn the house down.

There's way better small heating ideas. IIRC I saw one with a ceramic pot and a candle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
No.
FUCK No.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Be sure to set up a camera across the street.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Deep-fry a turkey in your living room.

Dinner and heat all-in-one!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
You should give it a try and report back.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
The last time we had an extended power outage in the winter, one guy died when he tried heating his home with his gas stove. Carbon Monoxide poisoning, from the little flames on a cheap four burner gas stove.

Eh...he probably had the oven on too with the door open.
You could kill yourself with a propane grill too if you want to run it in the living room.
Not that I'm making suggestions, I'm just saying large quantities of open flames in the house are not so good.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#11]
09'ers.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Deep-fry a turkey in your living room.

Dinner and heat all-in-one!
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]
If burning your trash indoors doesn't work, you can always just bring your charcoal grill in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't burn batteries, medical waste, ammo, large blocks of foam, rubber, and every thing else under the sun.

In my opinion they wouldn't be worth it.  They aren't very efficient for heating.  I recommend a kerosene heater(crack the windows for air) or the aforementioned wood stove.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#15]
In a tee-pee, sure. In a house, let me know how it works out for you!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#16]
What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#17]
If you don't mind the idea that the medical examiner will have a difficult time deciding weather you died from asphyxiation from smoke inhalation, carbon monoxide inhilation or possibly just from the fire that consumed your home, then I think this is a fantastic idea.  You should patent it before someone steals it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
We had a stainless 15 gallon drum that we turned into a wood stove, put stove pipe on it and cut a hole in the hoof of our shed. Worked well, but there was no open, unvented fire.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#19]
what options would you have though? A propane heater is nice but is finite on duration of use. WE don't have a wood stove.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Purchase one of these

Along with one of these

Then purchase some of these

Take them here and fill them.

Store until needed.

Enjoy being warm without burning your house down or falling asleep forever.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#21]
there are numerous plans on you tube to make a small wood sove out of ammo cans. The  open you window place a piece of stell in it with an appropriate sixed hole for the chimney.

Stock up on scrap oak.... DONE. you only need heat at night really.

or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYi4_LJ33c
or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LgArTl_BSU

Or a kerosene heater
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#22]
The whole foundation of "being prepared" is to put things in place ahead of time so you don't have to rely on life-threatening kludges if something actually does happen.
Don't waste time and effort trying to think up ways to fail less spectacularly, think up ways to survive... preferably with some semblance of comfort and normalcy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

what about in a tee-pee in a house?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The whole foundation of "being prepared" is to put things in place ahead of time so you don't have to rely on life-threatening kludges if something actually does happen.

Don't waste time and effort trying to think up ways to fail less spectacularly, think up ways to survive... preferably with some semblance of comfort and normalcy.
View Quote

Hence my asking now and taking the embarrassment here rather than later when it would really backfire
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

come on that absolutely no FUN!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

^ This '09er knows.

A Kerosene heater is fairly inexpensive and the fuel will last forever. Added bonus, you live to see the power come back on.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#27]
100% possible.

Everyone in your home will die, but at least you'll be really really warm as your house burns down around you while you try to sleep off the CO poisoning...

Just.

No.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#28]
We have a kerosene heater, like posted above; along with a couple kerosene lanterns.  Those were purchased this year.  Couple dual-fuel coleman lanterns in the shed, along with a dual-fuel 3 burner stove.  Made a few candle heaters one day when we were bored.  Couple axes and chainsaw in the other shed if fuel gets low; outside only though for wood fire since no fireplace/woodstove...plenty of deadwood around (and plenty of tents/etc).
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

what options would you have though? A propane heater is nice but is finite on duration of use. WE don't have a wood stove.
View Quote
Up here in Alaska, we just cuddle up with a full figured woman , under a heap of blankets.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Believe it or not, while I did that in the 1970s, today there is no place around here I can buy kero.

I am getting a pellet stove like Wiseworks. Google it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Get a gas space heater or fireplace installed.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I've heard structure fires are awesome. You have fun with that. Just remember to send any kids and pets away on vacation first.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#33]
It could be done, buy not open topped like that.  You would need to have at least the stove board to.protect combustibles nearby, and vent it, which really requires a permanent wall or roof pass through.  Also not worth the risk if you half ass it.  Much better solution is to either have a real stove and chimney installed, or just go with a kero heater and supplies ahead of time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#34]

This is the route I went. Not exactly a huge investment or a huge amount of storage to have a backup. I only have enough kero for about 4 days, I should likely double that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the house on a tread mill??

EBR666
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#36]
For the situation you describe , a kerosene heater is the right answer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Home depot has propane heaters. Simply attach to a 20lb tank and you have heat. They range in size.

You can also buy ventless propane fireplaces that work very well. I had one in my old house, it was amazingly efficient.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hence my asking now and taking the embarrassment here rather than later when it would really backfire
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A temporary wood-burning solution will be a challenge.  You'll be much better off looking at one of the kerosene heaters already mentioned, or better yet (IMHO) one of these:

Big Buddy Heater
With the adapter hose for 20 lb. propane tanks.

I'm all for wood heat, personally.  My home is heated 100% from an indoor wood furnace, except for a one-room addition that it would have been hard to run ductwork to.  Best-case scenario would be for you to look into what it would take to get a decent wood stove installed, if at all possible.  Put a few hundred bucks back here and there as you can, go cut and split some wood and sell half, save half, whatever.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#41]

This is exactly what I have for backup along with a small generator that will power a couple of small heaters and my electronics.

A kerosene heater 10-15 gallon of 1k, spare wick and a co detector costs less than 2 bills. It's a no brainer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#42]
sex.  lots of sex
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
This is the route I went. Not exactly a huge investment or a huge amount of storage to have a backup. I only have enough kero for about 4 days, I should likely double that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, my family actually did this for 9 days in 1998 after a major ice storm here. I was in 8th grade.

When it came time to buy a house of my own, a woodstove was one of my top priorities. It's nice knowing I can stay warm no matter what happens. I don' have to rely on electricity or a government controlled fuel source.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Also, if you haven't found it yet:

Arfcom survival forum
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#45]
If you have a gas furnace, consider a gas insert fireplace.    Most of them don't need power to run (they use something called a bi-metal battery, just like your water heater- strips of metal heated from just a pilot light, producing enough power to activate the circuit board and let you use the wall switch to activate them).

When power is on, I have a blower that produces heat by circulating it around the firebox of the gas fireplace, but even with power off, the front radiates enough heat to keep the room warm.

Short of an EMP event where the circuit card is fried, you have a power free and very safe way to heat in an emergency.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#46]
If you have a family then you should purchase a source for emergency heat. As others have pointed out it doesn't take a huge investment to get the basics.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Buy a generator, use an extension cord plugged into the generator, with the other end having the wires exposed that are connected to the blower motor to power the blower motor. I've done this before at my house several years ago so I know it works, well at least it did with that furnace, not sure if it would with my new furnace.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the tee-pee is in your house but also on a treadmill do you still get toxic fumes?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#49]
A couple years ago in sub 30 degree weather, they cut off natural gas due to the demand up north. For three days.

Fortunately, I had three space heaters, bedded everyone down in the living room, plugged em in, and me and my wife took shifts of fire watch. Hung blankets across the hallways to block in the heat.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Where would you get fuel to feed this burn barrel?  Paper and most household items aren't going to burn long enough to get any long term heating benefits, to say nothing of the flying embers setting your house on fire.   Any kind of heat source using combustion must have ventilation.

The simple truth is unless the temp is -30 outside, you aren't going to freeze to death inside an insulated house.   Just by bundling up and sealing off unused area with blankets etc you will be able to survive.  It won't be comfortable but safer than asphyxiating yourself or burning down your house in a time when emergency services are already degraded.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top