Quoted:

They went on to become Supertouch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
More times than I could count back in the '80s and early '90s.

Quoted:
Top and bottom molar all the way in the back on my right side were shattered at a Death Before Dishonor show last week

That was the name of a good NYHC band back in the day.

Now it's the name of THE Boston Hardcore band I had no idea that there was a NYHC band that used that name too.

They went on to become Supertouch.

Yup, mike judge played drums for them before joining YOT.

Kinda shocked there's people on here that know that (since its mostly mullet bands talked about)

Rettman's book finally came out.

http://www.bazillionpoints.com/shop/nyhc-new-york-hardcore-1980-1990-by-tony-rettman/
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You old doods couldn't hang with the kids these days....

http://youtu.be/yrcqvKgVo1A
View Quote

What the fuck is that shit?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You old doods couldn't hang with the kids these days....

http://youtu.be/yrcqvKgVo1A

Faggotry that people try to associate with the hardcore scene for some unknown reason
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
FEAR
Cro-Mags
Black Flag
Bad Brains
JFA
Love Canal
Murphy's Law
TSOL
Adolescentd
Decendents
MDC
Vandals
Biohazard
Social Distortion
Leeway
Napalm Death
DRI
DI
the Dickies
Madball
Token Entry
Reagan Youth
the Addicts
GBH
Circle Jerks
DOA
Dead Kennedys
Minor Threat

...plus a lot more.

The real question is have you ever done a stage dive?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. Slipknot/Lamb of God concert.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One of the Pantera shows I went to, I think it was the Pantera/Type O neg show, we were passing broken women out of the pit.
The stopped the show and asked us to pass unconscious people to the stage so they could be tended to.
Fucking blast.
View Quote

I was a Pantera/Clutch show Where this big fat Indian dude punched a chick in front of the security guard "Big Val"..it did not end well for the fat Indian dude.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been in hundreds of them from the time I was 15 until 40. Which was when I broke my leg in the pit during D.R.I. on my 40th birthday. Unfortunately that was my last one, I love it, I'm going to miss it. But 3months out of work sucks when you have a wife and bills.
View Quote

I understand what you're saying, there is a primal existence in the pit, where only the pit you can find it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Spent many nights in a pit, looking and feeling like you were in a car wreck afterwards.

Most memorable for me as they were at the Outhouse in Lawrence KS (basically a very small cinderblock building in a cornfield)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outhouse_%28venue%29

Helmet

Type O negative

Corrosion of Conformity

Body Count

L7

PAW/Stick both local bands

And countless local bands
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Many times.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell yeah.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

I never did, only thought about it. Something about trust in strangers stopped me from doing that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Circle Jerks, the Addicts, the SubHumAns, Dead Kennedy's, FEAR, Screeching Weasel, the Queers, NoFx, Down By Law, GBH, ALL, Pennywise, Lagwagon, Slayer, Sepultura, Sacred Reich...

Those are some of them, off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes. Her name was Alice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
My 1st nose break was pantera on the CFH tour
Went to stage dive, caught an elbow and blood everywhere
Fucking awesome. Lol.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
snip
View Quote

We have a lot of the same, and yes, more time than I can count. That said, you reminded me of some more, the Vandlas, DOA, MDC, DRI, Social D, but... totally jelly about Minor Threat. Saw multiple times and loved Fugazi, but in the context of this thread, no pit considering their stance on it. Saw the show stopped many times to stop the pit. Anyway, memory lane, eh?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm old school.

CroMags.
DRI
Bad brains
Agnostic Front
Testament
Pro Pain
Crumbsuckers
SOD
Suicidal Tendencies
Sepultura

Etc......
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Jumped into?? Lol... I've started them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FEAR
Cro-Mags
Black Flag
Bad Brains
JFA
Love Canal
Murphy's Law
TSOL
Adolescentd
Decendents
MDC
Vandals
Biohazard
Social Distortion
Leeway
Napalm Death
DRI
DI
the Dickies
Madball
Token Entry
Reagan Youth
the Addicts
GBH
Circle Jerks
DOA
Dead Kennedys
Minor Threat

...plus a lot more.

View Quote

Damn dude. That is as good as it gets for Slamdancing/Moshing......

I was at some concert in England, can't remember the name of the band now, but, a few of the gals in the pit were wearing skirts and no knickers.... one went upside down with legs in the air flapping....... and I am still traumatized by that hairy punk snatch of death.... a few seconds later she got knocked the fuck out by a brutal punch to the face from some skinhead, .... worst part about that night were the broken beer bottles on the floor.

My last time in the pit was Dec 87,  at the Electric Banana in Pittsburgh PA, saw Agnostic Front * Half Life * Castle Blood.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Two.

Marilyn Manson (boot scar still on chin from a  punk with doc martin boots)

And my favorite (saw in Cleveland), had to call off work (Kmart sporting goods)  for two days ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1K0c65n-_s

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We have a lot of the same, and yes, more time than I can count. That said, you reminded me of some more, the Vandlas, DOA, MDC, DRI, Social D, but... totally jelly about Minor Threat. Saw multiple times and loved Fugazi, but in the context of this thread, no pit considering their stance on it. Saw the show stopped many times to stop the pit. Anyway, memory lane, eh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Minor Threat can't stop the Pit in the Olympic Auditorium in LA.  They never tried.

Saw Ian get a bottle bounced off his head in NJ when he started preaching.   lol
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I bring this up because of the thread for Diamond Darrel.

View Quote

Poor Dimebag Darrel. No one even knows his name anymore.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Two.

Marilyn Manson (boot scar still on chin from a  punk with doc martin boots)

And my favorite (saw in Cleveland), had to call off work (Kmart sporting goods)  for two days ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1K0c65n-_s

http://youtu.be/f1K0c65n-_s
View Quote

That crowd makes me wish I could live in my twenties again.

Rage is a damn cool band, but they never come to California.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Yep. Lamb of God one year and Bleeding Through another.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
About 8 times a year until my joints weren't having any more of it
Old rivetheads don't die.

We just stand in the back and drink beer
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bring this up because of the thread for Diamond Darrel.

I brought my GF to a Pantera concert years ago and I said hold onto my beer.

I've never experienced a human maelstrom like that. My nose was bleeding my teeth hurt my chest hurt, everything hurt.

But the music made it all worthwhile I've never had a more anamilstic experience In my life.

God bless the mosh pit, a place where we can throw down without laws. And we all smile at each other.

About 8 times a year until my joints weren't having any more of it
Old rivetheads don't die.

We just stand in the back and drink beer

Rivetheads?  I haven't seen rivetheads mosh outside of a KMFDM show.  Usually just angrily stomping on the ground.  We talking about the same thing here?

Edit.  I think I may have seen some at the Front 242 show in Tampa this year.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The only mosh pit I've ever been in was rather civilized compared to what you people are describing. You hit the floor, and there were were immediately five people grabbing you and hauling you back to your feet (and a couple of feet in the air.) Lather, rinse, repeat.

KMFDM, 20th anniversary tour. My ears were totally buggered
View Quote
Best concert I have ever been to.  More old songs from KMFDM than any other show I was old enough to see and Combichrist before he started sucking really hard.  Actually It was the best two concerts I have ever been to.  Went to the Tampa and Orlando show.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Once... by accident. It was only a Social Distortion show so it wasn't too crazy
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I split a guys face open in a mosh once. Pissed me off so I took off my steel toe boot and cracked his skull.

View Quote

Mushroomhead/Dope 2006ish
I was at the one in Orlando. My friends baby momma hooked up with the guy who replaced Jmann that night.  She also did the pedo in Dope at some point.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Many pits
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I cracked a vertebra in a Sepultura pit and have the X-rays to prove it....Doctor said I'm too old for that shit (exact words), I was 40yr at the time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bad brains

View Quote

BB was recently mentioned in the second installment of the HBO series Sonic Highways with Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters. I hadn't thought of them in like two decades, but knew them from shows here in the DC area "back in the day."

H.R. was a madman.

For you pups out there, check out the Bad Brains brand of Rastapunkian music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pUlNfdnsAM
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Never been that kind of fan. I've always been there to actually watch the band. I'm not trying to be a dick, just saying it's just more entertaining for me to watch them play, I mean literally watch and see what they are doing on guitar, drums, etc.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Minor Threat can't stop the Pit in the Olympic Auditorium in LA.  They never tried.

Saw Ian get a bottle bounced off his head in NJ when he started preaching.   lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

One of the funniest comments at one of the Fugazi shows was from Guy at this skinhead who kept heckling him, and Guy responded, "you're not a tough guy, I saw you eating ice cream before the show.' Always makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm 38 and I still pit at every show I go to.  Last one was Overkill, next one will be Propagandhi.

My first pits ever were Good Riddance on the "For God & Country" tour and Pennywise on their "Unknown Road" tour.  Worst injury?  I used to stage dive and crowd surf alot until I was that guy who dove head first into the floor when everybody else moved at a Dead Kennedys show.  Ten stitches later and no more leaving the ground for me!

Seen/pitted to all the Fat Wreck punk bands many times over, Slayer, Dethklok, Mastodon, Napalm Death, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, Vandals, Less Than Jake, Agnostic Front, Anthrax, Bad Religion, Offspring, Blink 182, Green Day on their "Dookie" tour at UNF when I was a student there, Bouncing Souls, Casualties, GWAR...speaking of...

Funny GWAR story, I was in the pit at the Masquerade in Ybor City FL and I see this cute chick in the crowd with some kind of medieval looking neck brace on that looks like it's made with steel tinker toys.  I don't know if it was for real or if she wore it to be funny, but I said hey get on my shoulders, and she did.  I was pitting with her up there and she was rocking out and I could hear Oderus say something about the girl wearing a neck brace in the pit and laughing, it was great.

Also pitted plenty to Face To Face, Gogol Bordello, Guttermouth, H2O, Havok, Lagwagon, Rancid, Millencolin, The Misfits, Municipal Waste, Murphy's Law, Pour Habit, Pulley, Ten Foot Pole, Screeching Weasel, Sick Of It All, Social D, Strapping Young Lad, Suicidal Tendencies, Voodoo Glow Skulls...

I'll proly check out that DBD tour next month, I see they'll be in Tampa...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I remember back in the day when it wasn't called a "Mosh pit"!

And if you came to a show with long hair you got your ass beat!

In the early 1980's we were soo hardcore, we thought the Sex Pistols were commercial pop garbage!

ETA

Great lists up above! I'll add a few!

Sick Pleasure

Sub hum anS

The Authorities

Crucifix

Conflict

As well as those already mentioned!

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#39]

I'm NYHC, but there's nothing really quite like the Olympic Auditorium in LA.

Bonfires inside the building, kids jumping off speaker towers and going splat.  

Punks, Skinheads, Circle One (whatever the Hell those scary, makeup wearing bastards were), and hot chicks.

Sweat, Aquanet and Blood.

Riot cops on horses waiting outside.

In NYC, we'd just go get a 40 and a slice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#40]
My most memerable was a 7Seconds show at yje Silo in Reading PA. Came away with black eye and gave one to a friend.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Many times. I can't count how many.

Grew up in the punk and hardcore scene, played in punk bands. Mosh pits are as normal at a house party as at a show.

Worst injury was at the Glasshouse in Pomona. Stage dove, circle pit swirled, I went straight to the ground on my back, when I rolled over to get up, took a steel toe in the lower back. Couldn't move right for 2 weeks. Had to have the bass player I replaced fill in for me for almost a month before I was back to 100%.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Nope.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#43]
My worst pit related injury was at a Descendants/MDC show, when a skinhead came flying outta the pit all horizontal like, and slammed my nut bag up against the stage. Skinheads had a habit of making you earn the right to be in "they're" pit! It was earned in blood and we usually gave as much as we received.

When the long hairs started invading in the late 80's, things got all pussified.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Been in many a mosh pit & stage diving....off the top of my head
Dri
Cromags
GBH
King diamond
Megadeth
Anthrax
Motorhead
Faith No More
Red Hot chilli Peppers
Nuclear Assault
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Dead Kennedys, '82-'83, Mabuhay Gardens, San Fran..

Taking pictures with a beer in one hand and started getting crushed up against the edge of the stage.  Their roadie, a little 'Shaft' looking guy pulled me up on stage and let me stand to the side.  Jello saw me getting pummeled during the song and handed me back my beer, which he had gotten from the moshing guy who had snatched it out of my hand.

I still have the B&W photos from that and other shows.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Kosher at soundgarden at lollapalooza in 2010. Surely nothing compared to some of you guys but damn, most fun I've ever had (mostly) clothed
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:13:47 AM EDT
[#47]
i remember when it was called "slam dancing"
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:37:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Once when I was 15. I bowed by a viking warrior and lost a shoe.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Mosh Pit?  ...You mean Slam Dancing.   Kids!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:48:54 AM EDT
[#50]
I've never seen a mosh pit at a nickleback concert
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top