BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I jumped in a mosh page 2 pit
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Every concert I go to that has a pit I'm moshing (only if like minded individuals are in the area, I hate the guy who tries to force people to mosh).

Some of my favorite pits have been in the smaller clubs of Deep Ellum (arts district of Dallas). Except for Trees none of them were really set up for it, so crashing into concrete walls, wrought iron staircase banisters, and various other obstacles made it pretty damn interesting.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Pantera was the first time in a mosh pit in 1988 or something like that.  

Shortly after I was going to hardcore shows on a near weekly basis.   been in more than I can remember
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:04:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some of my favorite pits have been in the smaller clubs of Deep Ellum (arts district of Dallas). Except for Trees none of them were really set up for it, so crashing into concrete walls, wrought iron staircase banisters, and various other obstacles made it pretty damn interesting.
View Quote

yeah--curtain was not the most conducive place.  the nice thing about trees is that it looked like it was intentionally built to be easily reassembled after destruction.

the old bomb factory could get pretty impressive from time to time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:15:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to say the mosh pit is what it is, thank you guy / gals for your stories. I have a European story for their mosh pits. Theirs are a little different than Pantera.

Actually here's a story probably one of the greatest mosh pits ever.

Oakland collisium, Metallica. It bacame a dirt storm. Everyone ripped up the grass and starting throwing it. I've never seen anything like it.

But the mosh pit was fuckin cool, it was like a storm. I know you guys will say oh but California, but it happens here as well.

Thank you guys / gals for your stories, I love reading them.

For those that have actually been in a concert the pit.

/Cheers
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Been in a few, but most people avoided me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Every time I go!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm 30 now.  I was in the mosh pit at Gwar just a few weeks ago.  

I've settled down a lot and take less risk but I certainly still have fun.  No more crowd surfing for me for sure.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Lots of them. The best ones were at Pantera concerts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bring this up because of the thread for Diamond Darrel.

I brought my GF to a Pantera concert years ago and I said hold onto my beer.

I've never experienced a human maelstrom like that. My nose was bleeding my teeth hurt my chest hurt, everything hurt.

But the music made it all worthwhile I've never had a more anamilstic experience In my life.

God bless the mosh pit, a place where we can throw down without laws. And we all smile at each other.
View Quote

Wuss! I was a skinhead, been in many pits. We didn't call it moshing though.
It was slamdancing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup, lots, and lots of them..........  From DRI, to Kreator, to Mastadon, to too many GWAR shows to think about, I can honestly say I have most likely been in close to 500 pits over the last 25 years.  I used to go to a LOT of shows
Most recent one was at Cannibal Corpse, a couple of months ago..... at the ripe old age of 41.  I admit I'm old, I can't stay in for every song like I used to, but the rush is still there, so until I'm completely broken, I'll be in there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Been in pits many times. Even stage dived.

If you or someone comes out bleeding....you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Back in the day when mosh pits were more like bumper cars, I had fun joining in the shenanigans.

Now they'll like full-on homo rape prisons at feeding time.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to join in for a bit when I was younger. Had to get my chin stitched up once and that kinda curtailed it for me a bit. The last one I remember being in was at Flogging Molly years ago. The first time I saw them they hadn't really gotten popular yet. It was a small venue and went with my good friends and my brother went with his. It wasn't a true pit, just drunken mayhem and one of the best nights in my life. I saw FM again a few year later after they blew up and the skinheads ruined it for me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#16]
At the last Pantera show I was at I was hit so hard it knocked me out.  It was actually the first and only time I've ever faded to black after being hit.  I come back around, and 2 guys were holding me by each arm saying - hey buddy are you OK? After a moment or 2 I asked if they saw who hit me and they point to this big ass skater punk doing windmills.  I did my best Bruce Lee impersonation off the shoulders of one of the guys that picked my ass off the floor with a boot to the head of that big fucker....  We both hit the floor again, with me on top of him and still conscious this time.
2 days later I was still having headaches with  slight tunnel vision so I go to see a doctor, yep moderate to significant concussion.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been in a few pits in my earlier concert-going days, but every time I see one now it's just some faggots flailing their arms and then some 300lb guys trying to deck people.  No thanks.  

Also crowd surfed at a chevelle concert once.  That was pretty neat.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes. Last year was the latest.

Weird, was front and center watching Aaron Lewis sing as he sat on a barstool smoking cigs.
Last song he decides to play "Mudshovel" and shit went crazy. I was right in the middle, and stayed there for a while. Was fun.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Back in 92 and 93 I did at both Lollapalooza shows I went to and a handful of other concerts during that time..
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Haven't been in one in a long time. At some point, it turned from a slam dance kind of thing where everybody was having fun to a bunch of fucking tools throwing kicks and punches. I don't want to get in a fight and beat a motherfuckers face in for acting a fool - or get beat up for trying since I'm about over the hill - so I won't go in them nowadays. Plus, I just don't go to metal shows anymore. I must be too old because they are just too loud.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#21]
More times than I could count back in the '80s and early '90s.

Quoted:
Top and bottom molar all the way in the back on my right side were shattered at a Death Before Dishonor show last week

View Quote

That was the name of a good NYHC band back in the day.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Got windmilled by some faggot in a pit once.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#23]
More than I can count. The craziest one was thenExploited early 90s.

I'm in my 40s now I still go to lots of shows but no more pits for me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#25]
The old Lollapalooza's. The good ole days.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The old Lollapalooza's. The good ole days.  
View Quote

I was at the first tour in Stanhope, NJ.  Those were epic mosh pits.   My brother went crowd surfing during the Body Count set and disappeared " over the horizon". So to speak.  He came back 45 min later with no shirt, different pants, and a cute chick.

Good times

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sheeeeeeeeeit.

I was moshing before half you youngins was even born.
View Quote

this, I was moshing at the Slayer Reign in Blood tour. Never again, my bones don't heal like they used to.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Grew up going to punk and ska shows.
View Quote

Word.  Sometimes I wonder if the various pains I get and attribute to old football, baseball and rubgy injuries are actually from enjoying a nice concert now and then
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I did my share back in the day.....I was lucky enough to see Pantera at the Bayou (a bar) in DC when CFH first came out.  It was one of the best concerts of my life and the pit was brutal  \m/  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#30]
The old 930 Club, Washington, D.C., circa 1981-1984.

The bands sucked for the most part, but made up for their lack of musicianship with volume and screaming.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Been in a few. wouldn't do another one.
View Quote

Me too

I'm too old for that shit now
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Chelsea Grin concert. What a mess that was.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Been in the pit many many times.    

I'm too old for that shit now - things hurt a lot longer now than they did when I was younger.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Been in more mosh pits than I could possibly count.  Real mosh pits, at real metal shows, not some of the fairy group gropes masquerading as mosh pits at a lot of shows from wannabe metal band fans either.

I don't do it anymore...too old.

The best mosh pits are absolutely insane but respectful.  Dudes picking you up in stride as you go down, that sort of thing.  Anyone standing there throwing punches at invisible ninjas deserves to get trucked, hard.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quite a few back in the day.

Pretty sure the issue I have in my neck could be directly linked to a Collapsing Lungs show back about 1995.

edit to add, this STILL kicks ass
VIDEO
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes, when I was much younger.  A couple of Pantera shows and a Metallica concert.  Tried crowd surfing once, liked the mosh pits better.  No one was slinging fists or elbows then, or not intentionally anyway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Yep, and some bar fights too, and a riot once.

Can't say I miss it much.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#39]
I had one explode around me before I could move. I almost mowed a big bald guy over trying to extricate myself.

I think that happened at the 1996 Lollapalooza. Awesome lineup that year.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Late 80's/early 90's was in many pits; the Bomb Factory (no longer there) in Dallas was epic. They should have called that place FightClub for the shear physicality of the mosh pit. But the worse, and to rival OPs Oakland story... Slayer/WASP about '86 at Dallas Fair Park Coliseum .. the pit went batshit crazy, started ripping the cushions off the seats, chairs destroyed and show stopped twice because of shit being thrown ... it was, well it was fun. Also '85 Dallas Arcadia, Metallica Ride the Lightning --- guy next to me begged several of us to "throw him onstage" (Arcadia was an old movie theatre with an orchestra pit) .. needless to say, he did not make it all the way to the stage.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I had one explode around me before I could move. I almost mowed a big bald guy over trying to extricate myself.

I think that happened at the 1996 Lollapalooza. Awesome lineup that year.
View Quote

Saw a dude take a boxcutter to the back in the pit during Ministry's set  at Lollapalooza in '92.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Back in the day when mosh pits were more like bumper cars, I had fun joining in the shenanigans.

Now they'll like full-on homo rape prisons at feeding time.  No thanks.
View Quote

This.

I spent years in and around pits where everyone would slam into each other and just jostle in general, but some little prick always shows up windmilling like a crack monkey.  

Don't be that guy.

I realized years ago that I am way too old to get punched by a 14 year old.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Yeah back in the mid 90's People still mosh? Who knew I usually did most of the knocking around, was a 6'3 265 lb brick shithouse back then
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Once, at a concert in the college gym.  The show was freaking Dead Eye Dick and Jack-O-Pierce.  Dead Eye Dick did the song "Mary Moon" from Dumb and Dumber  The rest of the music sounded nothing like that.  The point I'm trying to make though is that neither band was hard-core metal or anything.  My experience was short lived.  Someone must have lined me up from the other side of the gym because I think my shoulders hit the ground before my legs did.  While trying to get up, someone stepped on my hand.  I wasn't feeling much pain at the time, but I knew to get up and out of there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#45]
I've been in many.    I used to go to punk and ska shows constantly, though I've slowed quite a bit these days.

I have a scar on my right eyebrow from catching a stud in the face at a show at the Dixie Tavern in New Orleans.  Blood all over my face, but I got back in the pit.

I have another scar on my left forearm from a pit at Warped Tour, also.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Pantera and White Zombie, Megadeth, Metallica, Ozzy, Korn, Motorhead, Danzig, Shadows Fall, Lamb of God. I'm sure there are a few more pits I can't remember. Worst "injury" was a large scab from BMXing getting ripped open at Danzig. Soaked the sleeve of my flannel in blood so I was done after that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#47]
In the 80s when it was called slamdancing and much more violent with fists and feet flying, to the '90s when it became a mosh pit where everybody skipped around in a circle bumping shoulders, I was there man!

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The stupid fucking hipsters that do the windmill shit now have fucked up the pits. Dumbasses.
View Quote

funny you mention that. I will never forget when "And then you'll beg" came out by Cryptopsy (the album that changed the band from being a technical death metal to a that mallcore shit)- we of course went to see them live at the Glasshouse near  LA.

the first (4) opening bands were not death metal, they were all this nu metal crunch rock bullshit- and their fans were doing this exact behavior you described. As soon these looser bands were done, all the metalheads came out and we had a nice traditional mosh pit.

oh- just saw Carcass at the TROC in Philly, excellent pit. no broken bones this time for me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#49]
fuck yeah

how do you go to a show and not jump in a pit?
might not stay in 'em for the whole show anymore......might feel a lot worse the next morning, but fuck yeah....
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Warped show so ya. Pennywise stands out.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top