Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have every reason to believe you're right regarding gold purchasing.

The only real question as to when the brakes are applied to this will be: when do the Saudis stop pumping?

I think that as long as Russia continues to help make their neighborhood shitty they'll keep going. I was actually thinking that the big slide wouldn't happen for another few months but it's looking like those predictions of %a 4-4.5 contraction of their economy might be optimistic.

How long will Russian be willing to back up "we've suffered before,we'll suffer again"? Making a run on Swedish press board furniture isn't speaking volumes of confidence and the real pains of healthcare being slashed etc haven't even remotely began to be felt. The lack of success in Novorossiya must be mentioned too,at some point they may be forced to go all in for pride or give up the adventure out of necessity.

Saudis will pump till Iran says uncle.

And they won't.

The Saudis are fighting a three front war against Iranian proxies on their borders. They are in it to win it.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/29/100276794_548c83c4eb.jpg

The limited nuclear war we seem to be on the road to will be exciting.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't worry.
Obama is going to stand up to the Ayatollah the same way he faced down the Castro regime.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We are absolutely behind OPECs price war, for two reasons. You should be aware of that.

The sanctions are ineffective. The energy market will have Russians dying in the streets if this continues for substantial period of time.
View Quote

If we're behind this, we're fucking retarded. Butchering the shale drillers to tank the Ruble is retarded.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If we're behind this, we're fucking retarded. Butchering the shale drillers to tank the Ruble is retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are absolutely behind OPECs price war, for two reasons. You should be aware of that.

The sanctions are ineffective. The energy market will have Russians dying in the streets if this continues for substantial period of time.

Oh.

So every American should subsidize wild catters?

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As a man stationed in Moscow who is paid in dollars, I love it.  When I got here the Ruble was 33 to the dollar.  Yesterday it closed at 86 to the dollar.  

A cup of coffee was 150 Rubles/5$ and today it is 2$.  While it is a good thing for me, it is hard to watch my coworkers lose half their salary in a few days time.  Half their savings, half the value of their home, half the value of their currency to buy bread with.  

It is projected to rise above 100 to the dollar by the new year, then the prices of all goods will double.  Which is a double whammy.  Your money is half as valuable and everything cost twice as much.  

View Quote

You are still paying $2 for a cup of coffee?       Htf does that make any sense?      Sounds like it still has a long way to go.

How much are hot Russian whores?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When is the time to BUY Rubles ?What is the likely response to the devaluation?
Will the treasury, or central bank hyperinflate?
Is it likely, or possible that the current Ruble is intentionally allowed to self destruct, to be replaced by a GOLD Ruble in near future?

Another posibility to consider is the rollout of a Gold backed common currency, Brazil, Russia,India, and China roll out....... are you ready for this?........ the GOLD BRIC.....
View Quote

When you run out of toilet paper.

You should have been betting against them on FOREX months ago.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh.

Not at all.

I don't see the Saudis keeping the market flooded after it breaks Russia and Iran (which wont be that much longer).

Cinninatus (and you IIRC) were right that we can jump back into shale oil, somewhat. The problem is the time this oil war takes: 6mos isn't a big deal (we're about 2mo in).....12mo is a different story....18mo is not going to be good.

Also, most wild-catters and small outfits (around here at least) are drilling NG.

At $50/barrel, I see shit loads of wells being plugged (unless you're big time) until this blows over and the Saudis start in on us again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]
In Soviet Russia, currency devalues you!

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:Not at all.

At $50/barrel, I see shit loads of wells being plugged (unless you're big time) until this blows over and the Saudis start in on us again.
View Quote

and?

So what?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what made me go

Seriously, why would the USA destroy a booming and very important strategic industry?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

and?

So what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Not at all.

and?

So what?

I don't trust our national leadership to have a strategy that puts us in a position of power when the dust settles.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's what made me go

Seriously, why would the USA destroy a booming and very important strategic industry?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what made me go

Because the USA isn't destroying anything.

Its called the market.  Supply and Demand and basic micro economics.

What other industries do we demand that every american subsidize through government policy.

I just want to check here.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What other industries do we demand that every american subsidize through government policy.

View Quote

We're obsessed with jobs numbers, it's politicians life blood. If an industry as big as shale takes a hit and they lose alot of jobs, then the Democrats start losing elections.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The idea that some of them may simply say "fuck it,I'm out" and  decide to take their remaining billions to London,Monaco and Dubai is a very real concern of Putin's. I think massive capital flight scares him more than any coup attempt .

The oligarchs are smart but generally aren't muscle men;that's why they have had this symbiotic relationship with Putin: they're the brains,he's the brawn. They get rich,he gets rich...but the difference is he has guys who don't mind brewing up Polonium tea. They are incredibly wealthy but don't have a state security apparatus behind them.* Putin also did a mastery of playing these guys off against each other so that they would not collude but behave as rivals.

I won't be surprised to see a couple chickens killed to scare the monkeys soon: arrest a couple guys,charge them with fraud and sedition.

*there's a reason they have ex-SAS/SASR bodyguards rather than ex-FSB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...Putin has been planning for that day for the last 20 years.   Putin has a file on every rich person in Russia, one wrong move and a "crime" is uncovered complete with witness's and physical proof. Only an internal coup by some one very close could work, or an out of the blue highly complex assassination.

Every phone call is listened to, every email is read, every oligarch has an informant or two in his inner circle, every company has been infiltrated. The media in Russia supports the cult of personality, reporters who get confused about what country they are in get shot in the head...

*shrug*

Just saying. While Ivan Six-Pack may love V.V. unconditionally, the Oligarchs will see things a bit different I bet. Once you have a few billion, and said few billion get threatened, I bet the defensive instincts get pretty strong. And when all your billionaire buddies are similarly threatened, well, stuff can happen. They didn't get to where they are by being stupid or frightened.

The idea that some of them may simply say "fuck it,I'm out" and  decide to take their remaining billions to London,Monaco and Dubai is a very real concern of Putin's. I think massive capital flight scares him more than any coup attempt .

The oligarchs are smart but generally aren't muscle men;that's why they have had this symbiotic relationship with Putin: they're the brains,he's the brawn. They get rich,he gets rich...but the difference is he has guys who don't mind brewing up Polonium tea. They are incredibly wealthy but don't have a state security apparatus behind them.* Putin also did a mastery of playing these guys off against each other so that they would not collude but behave as rivals.

I won't be surprised to see a couple chickens killed to scare the monkeys soon: arrest a couple guys,charge them with fraud and sedition.

You just explained how Hitler ruled Germany. Have all the different organs of the State view each other as rivals.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We're obsessed with jobs numbers, it's politicians life blood. If an industry as big as shale takes a hit and they lose alot of jobs, then the Democrats start losing elections.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The democrats (in DC)want to shut shale down.  The boom is on private land

Sierra Club types
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what made me go

I agree with all of this.

-Do I hope we get $1 gas? Yep.
-Do I think the people on Wall Street who claim the price is too low are full of shit? Yep.
-Do I want to see Russians fighting for the last potato? Yep.
-Will I lul very hard when that happens?  Yep.

I just am concerned that we'll get fucked by our own .gov on the backside of this.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

who is obsessed with job numbers?  high energy prices are a drag on domestic manufacturing and consummer purchasing.  

Are you telling me high energy prices are good for employment?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
who is obsessed with job numbers?  high energy prices are a drag on domestic manufacturing and consummer purchasing.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm talking about employed Shale workers.

And I've been vocal in other threads that oil prices being cheap are better for the overall economy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Haha, no,  the seizing of Iranian-held US bonds.

I'm aware that their banking system is famous for secrecy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Googling to find that incident.  Having trouble finding anything. Do you have more details?

Guessing you mean the Swiss?

Stuff like this has been going on for a while: http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/05/news/companies/swiss-secrecy-banks/index.html

It's not quite the well-run tower of anonymity anymore. Still probably well-run, though.

I might be wrong on that; all I can find is the original statement saying Iranian .gov stuff is seized: http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/Executive%20Order%2012170.pdf

Effing Iran is in the news too often for a good search on details from 79/80...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't worry.

Just as we are posting, Obama is printing up electronic money to bail out Russia just like the three trillion per year for  two years straight to the Euro's. For now. That amount is being kept off the $18 Trillion that we owe.

This was found by the CBO and no one is questioning it. The CBO does not even know who got the money.

Of course we wont know that for another two or three years.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I might be wrong on that; all I can find is the original statement saying Iranian .gov stuff is seized: http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/Executive%20Order%2012170.pdf

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Googling to find that incident.  Having trouble finding anything. Do you have more details?

Guessing you mean the Swiss?

Stuff like this has been going on for a while: http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/05/news/companies/swiss-secrecy-banks/index.html

It's not quite the well-run tower of anonymity anymore. Still probably well-run, though.

Thanks, I'll read it over.  And yeah, the embargoes from recently are screwing up even detailed search terms, especially since the Treasury is involved in embargoes.

Edit: My reading of the EO and the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (link) leaves me unsure.  

§ 1702. Presidential authorities
(a)(1) At the times and to the extent specified in section 1701 of
this title, the President may, under such regulations as he may
prescribe, by means of instructions, licenses, or otherwise--
(A) investigate, regulate, or prohibit--
(ii) transfers of credit or payments between, by, through, or to any
banking institution, to the extent that such transfers or payments
involve any interest of any foreign country or a national thereof,
(iii) the importing or exporting of currency or securities,

So iii makes it clear that we can keep bonds from being sold to Iran, but doesn't address existing bonds purchased by the state (or actors on its behalf).  ii is what I'm not sure about.  Does cashing in your security when it matures constitute a payment? If so, ii can hurt the ability of Iran to collect.  If not, I don't really see anything else that would prevent Iran from collecting.

It's interesting, though.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And I've been vocal in other threads that oil prices being cheap are better for the overall economy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to be a dick, despite my natural talent at it, but time to take the money and move on to a new industry.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would assume there are true believers in the FSB. At the first sign of trouble they (billionaires) will be disappeared; everything is under surveillance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Putin has been planning for that day for the last 20 years.   Putin has a file on every rich person in Russia, one wrong move and a "crime" is uncovered complete with witness's and physical proof. Only an internal coup by some one very close could work, or an out of the blue highly complex assassination.

Every phone call is listened to, every email is read, every oligarch has an informant or two in his inner circle, every company has been infiltrated. The media in Russia supports the cult of personality, reporters who get confused about what country they are in get shot in the head...

*shrug*

Just saying. While Ivan Six-Pack may love V.V. unconditionally, the Oligarchs will see things a bit different I bet. Once you have a few billion, and said few billion get threatened, I bet the defensive instincts get pretty strong. And when all your billionaire buddies are similarly threatened, well, stuff can happen. They didn't get to where they are by being stupid or frightened.

I would assume there are true believers in the FSB. At the first sign of trouble they (billionaires) will be disappeared; everything is under surveillance.

The Oligarchs have their own "true believers" in the FSB.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's actually not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said before, I dont trust national leadership to put us in a position where such action doesn't hurt us long term

Maybe I'm giving Obama & Co. too much credit. Guess I'll go reflect in my subterranean domicile.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You just explained how Hitler ruled Germany. Have all the different organs of the State view each other as rivals.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*shrug*

There is a world of difference between different centers of power all vying for the affection of the ultimate source of power/guidance, and different sources of power actually offsetting each other. The latter is critical to a healthy society. The former is the extent we have to hope Russia has not reached.  Putinm, howevver, is not behaving like a man comfortably in control, with various other social components, all beholdn to him, vying for affection and attention.  He is behaving like a man paranoid of losing his position - be it to a "color revolution" or worse.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In Soviet Russia, currency devalues you!

View Quote

We should be printing up rubles on the DL giving em out like candy and riding this bitch into the ground
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Would this be a good time to invest in the ruble. Buy a ton cheap and sit on it until the Russian economy picks up and cash out? Because at some point, the Russian economy will pick up.
View Quote

I think US airline stocks would've been the way to go. Dirt cheap fuel while ticket prices hold firm.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Gotta watch out when this guy starts offering you favors...

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
September 19, 1931 - Japan invades Manchuria.

July 7, 1937 - Japan and China officially at war.

August 1, 1941 - The US bans oil exports to all aggressor countries , including Japan.

How about don't invade other nations and you won't get embargoed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't corner the bear,crazy ivan and all.they got nutin too lose.

They're not suicidal.

That's what people thought about the Japanese.

After the oil embargo, they were backed into a corner and acted irrationally.

They backed into nothing.

They invaded China and were punished.  They decided that China was more important than oil imports.

And then they thought we lacked the balls to back our shit up.

Thats our problem.

September 19, 1931 - Japan invades Manchuria.

July 7, 1937 - Japan and China officially at war.

August 1, 1941 - The US bans oil exports to all aggressor countries , including Japan.

How about don't invade other nations and you won't get embargoed?
The Vichy Government gave France's Asian colonies to Japan.  That's why the embargo happened.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

sure hope your wrong about that happening
that shit could get out of hand
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's what made me go

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what made me go

Byproduct of us trying to punish the Russians and Iranians for their foreign policy?
All these months we have been saying things like we are playing checkers when Putin and the Ayatollah were playing chess?
Maybe this was our move to Checkmate those turds.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#34]
What if Putin just turns off the gas to Europe and demands payment in gold? That could get interesting.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What if Putin just turns off the gas to Europe and demands payment in gold? That could get interesting.
View Quote

Wouldn't work.

Real example of a potential escalation from this: Putin orchestrates believable Iranian threats on the crude market.

Brings the prices back up. Creates another fire we have to stamp out.

Of course, we have been courting the Iranians lately, trying to draw them away from Russian influence... For exactly this reason. I'm not of the opinion we have seceeded in reality. Perhaps I am wrong.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

So he's going to cut off his only source of foreign currency?

You didn't think that one through, did you?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much natural gas do you think is lying under the coal fields in the ruhr?

Germany could be natural gas independent if not for soviet proxy green party.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Precisely. That combined with the recent Israeli gas finds could fuel Europe for quite a while.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Putin doesn't have much time left. Rumors has it he have terminal cancer. He might not last for a few more months.

Putin came to power after the Russia economy collapsed in 1998. He will leave office with a collapsed Russian economy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I doubt Putin will go down without a fight, somewhere, somehow. Wars have been used to keep power in the past..

Putin doesn't have much time left. Rumors has it he have terminal cancer. He might not last for a few more months.

Putin came to power after the Russia economy collapsed in 1998. He will leave office with a collapsed Russian economy.

Poetic justice.

Hopefully someone slipped him a polonium mickey.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Precisely. That combined with the recent Israeli gas finds could fuel Europe for quite a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They just announced a multi trillion field 3 days ago.

ETA, of course israel will be lucky to produce 500 mcfd and germany consumes 7000mcfd.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're butchering shale drillers for the environment. Hurting the Commies and the peaceful Muslims in Tehran is an unfortunate side effect that we will soon rectify with subsidies and grants to help Zero's ideological allies.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

People will laugh at him.  Then they will go out to dinner.  When they return, Putin will have been deposed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we are not behind it. The house of Saud is not going to screw itself to make us happy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not at all.

I don't see the Saudis keeping the market flooded after it breaks Russia and Iran (which wont be that much longer).

Cinninatus (and you IIRC) were right that we can jump back into shale oil, somewhat. The problem is the time this oil war takes: 6mos isn't a big deal (we're about 2mo in).....12mo is a different story....18mo is not going to be good.

Also, most wild-catters and small outfits (around here at least) are drilling NG.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh.

Not at all.

they could pump the oil and just sit on it for higher prices?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's what made me go

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what made me go

well....

1. Oil comes and goes, there is TONS of it around. We'll be fine without domestic production
2. Obama hates the usa and everything about it
that about sums it up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When we elected Obama on the "Unconditional Withdrawal from Iraq ticket," we practically guaranteed it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't worry.

Just as we are posting, Obama is printing up electronic money to bail out Russia just like the three trillion per year for  two years straight to the Euro's. For now. That amount is being kept off the $18 Trillion that we owe.

This was found by the CBO and no one is questioning it. The CBO does not even know who got the money.

Of course we wont know that for another two or three years.
View Quote

payoff and embezzlement.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

would seem a good move. Except to would screw him even more. The USa should immediately say Hey we've got tons we will sell to you for 10% less for ten years.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

we are not behind it. The house of Saud is not going to screw itself to make us happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It serves the Saudi's purposes, and it serves our interests.

Iranian proxies have taken over Yemen.   The Saudis don't like that.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top