Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 2:21:11 PM EDT

Been working on this for a few months now, slowly. Just about all done now, figured I would show it off.

Runs on a Raspberry Pi running Emulation Station. Currently have it set up to play Atari, NES, SNES, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advanced and MAME & Fire Burn Alpha (Arcade game emulators).

Have about 2k games on it right now, but that is because I was pretty picky about picking them. Could easily play over 5k games on it.

Designed the vinyl graphics and applied them myself. Themed it after one of my favorite arcade game series, Metal Slug.

All in all it probably ended up costing me about $400 to build. It could have been done cheaper, but hey, first time doing something you end up trying multiple things that don't work out and wasting money here and there.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
HA!

Very cool.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#2]
this. is. awesome.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that a prefab turn-key cabinet or a custom home build? Either way the vinyl makes it look totally factory.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't see a link to a build thread...

I really want to do something like this. How difficult is the wiring? Links to controls/boards/monitor you used?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Themed it after one of my favorite arcade game series, Metal Slug.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks great.  Who printed the vinyl for you?  I have components for a full size cabinet sourced for next spring's first project.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Neat!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#8]
That is pretty damn cool.  Always wanted to try something like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]
How about a build thread?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't see a link to a build thread...

I really want to do something like this. How difficult is the wiring? Links to controls/boards/monitor you used?
View Quote

Used Happ buttons and Happ competition joysticks. Then two Zero Delay USB arcade encoders.

They are just stupid simple plug and play compatible. Plug all the button/joystick microswitches into the encoder, then usb from the encoder to a PC (or in my case, a Raspberry PI) and it recognizes it as a USB game pad.

Set your controller configuration and off you go.

The encoders are less than $11 each on Ebay and come with quick connect wires for the microswitches. They are set up to run a joystick, 12 buttons of your choice, and a couple extra special buttons.

Monitor was just a Dell 17 incher I bought off Ebay for $20 shipped.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Looks great.  Who printed the vinyl for you?  I have components for a full size cabinet sourced for next spring's first project.
View Quote
The places that do actual arcade vinyl printing were a lot more expensive then what I wanted to do for this project. I ended up on a site called half price banners that does 3m adhesive backed vinyl banners. Customizable to any Y x Y foot sized banner.

I think it was just under $40 for the size that I could fit the sides, front admin board, control panel and marquee on.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#13]
BAD ASS
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Sweet! We've got a couple MAME machines at work, it's been on my mind to build one myself for a while now. Maybe when I actually have a bar to put it on
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry, didn't really take photos as I went.

Was pretty much just slowly acquiring the pieces over a couple months and then slapping it together in a couple hours.

Basic list of everything used:

Half inch MDF for the cabinet

17" dell monitor for the display

acrylic for the display/marquee cover

Raspberry Pi (to run everything)

16gb micro SD for the storage

cell phone charger to power the Pi

hdmi to dvi cable for the monitor

cheap set of pc USB powered speakers for sound

16x buttons with micro switches (went with HAPP)

2x Happ competition joysticks

2x Zero Delay USB Encoders with quick connect wiring

2ft x 4ft adhesive vinyl print for the graphics

half inch t-molding for the edges

13" florescent light for the marquee

2x plastic L molding brackets to hold the marquee

1 surge protector and 1 IEC switched outlet so I can just plug a power cord to the back of the machine

I think that is about the gist of it... Not including odds and ends like the screws / glue / velcro and other such.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Sweet! We've got a couple MAME machines at work, it's been on my mind to build one myself for a while now. Maybe when I actually have a bar to put it on
View Quote

I have always wanted to do a full size MAME cabinet. Got tired of waiting and decided to do something I could fit in the apartment.

Now a friend wants me to help him do a full size.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have always wanted to do a full size MAME cabinet. Got tired of waiting and decided to do something I could fit in the apartment.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What OS are you using with your Raspberry Pi?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Using the latest stock package of Retro Pie then just did a little tweaking to get everything how I wanted it.

Edit: Retro Pie utilizes Emulation Station. Most of the emulators run off RetroArch.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Way cool!

Nice job on the finish work.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Was pretty much just slowly acquiring the pieces over a couple months and then slapping it together in a couple hours.

1 surge protector and 1 IEC switched outlet so I can just plug a power cord to the back of the machine

I think that is about the gist of it... Not including odds and ends like the screws / glue / velcro and other such.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've inspired me sir, think I'm going to start a full-size cabinet project and try to get my 10 year old son involved. I already have a Pi setup to feed a 17" Dell monitor.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Nicely done OP!  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You've inspired me sir, think I'm going to start a full-size cabinet project and try to get my 10 year old son involved. I already have a Pi setup to feed a 17" Dell monitor.
View Quote

Keep in mind a PC running MAME would get you more games. The Raspberry Pi is slightly limited in its capabilities.

For MAME games it can only run 0.37b5 ROMs and then here is a link to all the Fire Burn Alpha arcade games it can run: http://tiny.cc/shexqx

Outside arcade games it should run just about every NES/SNES, Genesis game.

If you want to do N64 and newer you will need a PC.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#23]
There are some seriously talented sons of bitches on this site..
DAYUM.
Awesome.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Very nice!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Fuck yeah thats badass OP!  Been meaning to do the same thing but never got around to it.  Didn't realize you could run all the emulators on a Raspberry Pi now, certainly makes things a lot easier.  

And great choice with Metal Slug, that along with Shock Troopers are in my all time favorite arcade games.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#26]
That's awesome!

I would love to build a full-size machine for my spare bedroom.  Then I'd have to convince the wife that an arcade machine is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Love it OP.  Great work.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Very, very cool! DO WANT!

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I will find a Battlezone game one of these days. Oh yes. It will be mine.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Can you post a link to where you got the ideas and found out about how to build one of these? I would love to build a full-sized arcade console one day. I've got all the ROMs on my PC already that I play with an emulator. Having a full sized-console would really take it to the next level though.

Subscribed
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#31]
That is awesome! Would play.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Can you post a link to where you got the ideas and found out about how to build one of these? I would love to build a full-sized arcade console one day. I've got all the ROMs on my PC already that I play with an emulator. Having a full sized-console would really take it to the next level though.

Subscribed
View Quote

So I started with just the Raspberry Pi directly hooked to a tv and using a USB SNES controller to play.

Then I decided to just finally give it a go with an arcade cabinet. Since I am in an apartment I was limited on space. Went with something that would fit on top of my beer fridge. Started looking at all sorts of full size and bartop plans and projects other people did for inspiration. Didn't really stick to any one site.

Decided to go with Happ IL buttons and joysticks. Used Paradise Arcade Shop to order all that (I think it was about $90 for the 16 buttons with 20 gram micro switches and the two joysticks.

Found the easiest method possible to hook up all the buttons (Zero Delay USB Arcade Encoder - $11 on ebay each). It allowed me to just plug the buttons in, then plug the encoder directly to your Raspberry Pi / PC by USB and it recognizes it as a game pad/controller.

What the encoder looks like, works with 5 pin joystick and 4 microswitch joysticks (HAPP):

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks alot for that description. I may see if a friend would want to build two at the same time to save money.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the info on the vinyl and the usb encoders.  You just saved me some money.  I was looking at getting an I-Pac from Ultimarc but at $11 I'm willing to give the Zero Delays a shot.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm familiar with emulators and how they work...

most of all, my eyes are drawn to how nicely finished your cabinet is. Very nice work man.

It totally looks legit, like something right out of the arcade in 1985.

One thing I'm wondering is how you feel about the graphics, considering you're not using a CRT?

And what are the details on the display? I assume it's about a 19" 4:3? Hard to tell.

Second thing I'm wondering is, now that you've completed the project...

Looking back, do you wish you would have gone with a mini PC instead?

What was the reasoning for going with the Pi over a PC?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#36]
That is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Keep in mind a PC running MAME would get you more games. The Raspberry Pi is slightly limited in its capabilities.

For MAME games it can only run 0.37b5 ROMs and then here is a link to all the Fire Burn Alpha arcade games it can run: http://tiny.cc/shexqx

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info man, I'll have to run through that to see if I want to end up going with a PC. I think I'll start off with a Pi anyway and just change it out later.

ETA - How did you decide on the button layout, was there a template you used that was a standard or did you just guess at it?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Thanks for the info man, I'll have to run through that to see if I want to end up going with a PC. I think I'll start off with a Pi anyway and just change it out later.

ETA - How did you decide on the button layout, was there a template you used that was a standard or did you just guess at it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just google arcade button layout and you can find the layout for basically every arcade cabinet ever produced. I went with the Sega layout minus the 7th/8th buttons.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm familiar with emulators and how they work...

most of all, my eyes are drawn to how nicely finished your cabinet is. Very nice work man.

It totally looks legit, like something right out of the arcade in 1985.

One thing I'm wondering is how you feel about the graphics, considering you're not using a CRT?

And what are the details on the display? I assume it's about a 19" 4:3? Hard to tell.

Second thing I'm wondering is, now that you've completed the project...

Looking back, do you wish you would have gone with a mini PC instead?

What was the reasoning for going with the Pi over a PC?
View Quote

Mine is a 17" display right now. I am pretty certain I have room to go to a 19" down the road if I want, but the monitor only cost me $20. I am just fine with how the graphics look, and there are plenty of shaders you can use to change the appearance to more closely resemble what you would expect from an older CRT arcade if you want.

I went with the Pi because I had it on hand already. I had it setup and hooked into a tv with a USB SNES controller for playing NES/SNES originally. Since I had it, I turned it into a cabinet.

I fully intend to build a full size MAME cabinet once we move into a house of our own, at that point I will definitely go with a PC.

Edit: Thanks for the compliment on the appearance. I was incredibly pleased with how it came together after putting down the vinyl and adding the t-molding to the edges.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#41]
nice dude! i am actually in the process of building my bartop mame cabinet as well, have my ultimarc Ipac 2 board and buttons/joysticks ready then need to work on the cabinet but i'm using my old pc components to run it with hyperspin. But i also have plans to use a raspberry pi in a handheld emulator build and mini cabinet 1 player build.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top