Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/14/2014 1:25:54 AM EDT
When my first son was born, he came out a little blue and couldn't quite get a breathing pattern going. The nurses took him to the warmer to try to get him straight. Per my wife's instructions, I stayed with him.obviously at this point I am extremely concerned, but i figure the nurses know what they are doing. All of a sudden the OB who was still working on my wife calls a nurse over. I see the doctors face and she is a little panicked. I hear her say "I...I can seem to get the bleeding to stop." It occurs to me at that point, I could lose the 2 most important things to me. Soul ripping fear. Thankfully it only lasted about 5 min. The doc got things fixed and was already joking around again before the nurse could finish telling me that baby Noah was just fine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#1]
18 year old daughter was in a car wreck. Closed head injury.  Coma for a week with about 20% chance of living. Three months of rehab to get her walking/feeding herself/using her extremities good again.

Graduated on deans list about five years later. Married now with two sons.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Had a guy run into a house I was in with a ski mask on and a gun. He put me in the shower I thought I was dead but he just pistol whipped me and ran off.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a dindu pull a gun on me. Walked away. Didn't even blade. "I'm gunna kill you cracker! Gunna kill white!"
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:44:14 AM EDT
[#4]
When I almost died when I was 5-6yrs old,  I'm 28 now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:47:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I drew on a guy with a knife who wanted my wallet and the Christmas presents I was carrying out to my car.

He dropped his knife and ran. I was shaking like a dog shittin' peach pits.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had a guy run into a house I was in with a ski mask on and a gun. He put me in the shower I thought I was dead but he just pistol whipped me and ran off.
View Quote

Any backstory to this?

Honestly thought I was going to drown a couple of years ago. Hopped off of the boat to grab an item that had fallen overboard, turned around in the water and the boat was 30-45 feet away. We were in a deep channel in the middle of the lake and the boat driver was inexperienced. They drifted a ways down while I ended up having to tread water for about 20 minutes while he maneuvered his way back. 20 minutes doesn't sound like a long time, but when you aren't sure if your ride is going to be able to make It back, you start to get a little nervous lol.

There was a while that I considered just swimming for the shore, but with the boat traffic I was nervous that I would be struck if I tried to go for It. Not to mention it was a good distance.

I should add that I didn't have a lifevest for this situation.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#7]
High speed get off of my V65 Sabre (1100 Honda motorcycle) due to my own damn fault, too much front brake.  Violent tank slapper. Knew I was done.  My daughter was six months old, thought I was going to miss her growing up, and her not have a dad.  Fortunately, the bike spit me off and preceded me down the road and I avoided sudden deceleration and entanglement.  Also, I was dressed for the fall, not for the ride, came out with bruises, shredded leather jacket/gloves, a crushed helmet and a headache.

Fixed the bike and sold it after twenty years of riding.  My daughter is now twenty, and I still don't have the urge to throw a leg over the saddle of a street bike.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:49:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Lawn mower kicked some shrapnel into my chest. There was a gurgling sound when the lung collapsed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:54:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Stared down the barrel of a kid pointing his gun at me, while he wanted to get in my car.

The longer you stare at the end of a barrel, the BIGGER it gets. Might have been a .25. Looked like a 50 BMG before it was over.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:55:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I was backing into my driveway. I looked and everything one was clear, but while backing up my Cummins dually, I definitely ran something fairly large over. I couldn't remember if the kids (daughter was 7, and boys were 5 years old) were in the back yard, inside, or if they were in the front yard when I pulled passed the gravel drive to back in. I jumped out thinking I just ran over one of my kids with the back dual. That was the most scared I've ever been in my whole life. It took a while for me to "check in" to what just happened. It turned out to be a split of firewood my dog had drug and dropped into my driveway.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Lawn mower kicked some shrapnel into my chest. There was a gurgling sound when the lung collapsed.
View Quote

Ouch.  There is no such thing as a non-sucking chest wound.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:58:39 AM EDT
[#12]
My brother was a police officer for a local PD here in the San Diego area. Got into a crash during a code 3. A fricking reservist crashed into him.

He was pretty banged up and in and out of consciousness. EMT's told me that he was fighting them when they tried to take his gun and belt off. Kept holding onto it.

I see the pics and I can't believe anyone lived.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:01:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It wasn't sucking to the environment. The projectile was a wire, and the entrance wound was very hard to find. It looked like an ant bite and there was no blood.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:03:04 AM EDT
[#14]
It was my birthday in 1989. Never forget that event.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:04:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Robbed at gunpoint by several black males. The one holding the gun kept trying to pull my pants downward, why, I don't know. He had a pistol in his hand as he was pulling at my pants, I then pulled my pant upward, the pistol goes off. I thought my balls were gone! The bullet grazed my index finger, that's it. I then told him ''you are not taking my car, here's my wallet''. Sad part is that about 12 random people watched this happen, I bet you can guess where I was, IN THE GHETTO!!! I was on my way downtown for a night out with the guys and needed gas, had to stop. I would of had a carry piece with me but I was going to have drinks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:07:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Stared down the barrel of a kid pointing his gun at me, while he wanted to get in my car.

The longer you stare at the end of a barrel, the BIGGER it gets. Might have been a .25. Looked like a 50 BMG before it was over.

View Quote

Has happened to me four times. One street robbery, two robberies in two different pizza places and once by little shitheap bangers looking for trouble.
Oddly, did not scare me as much as my business dying pretty much over night and going from having a fair amount of money to having no money, no job, no truck and no hope of quickly attaining the same income level that I had.

Almost wound up homeless a couple of times until I got my legs back under me.

Other scary moment was pulling wire in an attic in the summer when it was 100+ outside and 140+ in the attic.
Started getting lightheaded, was debating if I could make it back to the hatch, then realizing I probably couldn't and trying to figure out where I was in the house so I didn't kick a hole in the ceiling above a 20ft vault. Wound up grabbing my knife and laying open an AC duct to cool off.

Yes, I did fix the duct later.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:10:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Any backstory to this?

Honestly thought I was going to drown a couple of years ago. Hopped off of the boat to grab an item that had fallen overboard, turned around in the water and the boat was 30-45 feet away. We were in a deep channel in the middle of the lake and the boat driver was inexperienced. They drifted a ways down while I ended up having to tread water for about 20 minutes while he maneuvered his way back. 20 minutes doesn't sound like a long time, but when you aren't sure if your ride is going to be able to make It back, you start to get a little nervous lol.

There was a while that I considered just swimming for the shore, but with the boat traffic I was nervous that I would be struck if I tried to go for It. Not to mention it was a good distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any backstory to this?

I was 18 and at one of my best freinds (who I thought were my freinds) house. they didn't even have the balls to rob me themselves they paid someone to do it. I had a large amount of cash in my bag.me and my one freind were sitting inside and everyone else was on the porch then I noticed they were gone. Two minutes later a guy in a ski mask came running in screaming give up the money I kept saying I didn't have anything he put me in the shower pistol whipped me and by the time I could see straight he was gone and I was ten grand lighter. The next day I found out it was my freinds that set me up. Any other time I would of had a gun on me but I was with my boys and never in a million years would I of thought they would do that.

Eta:the reason I was shitting bricks was because the only thing I could think of was the scene from scar face when they chopped the guy up in the shower. Lucky for me it he was just putting on a show to make it seem like it was a random robbery.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Came damn close to drowning when i was in the service.
Waaaay worse than getting shot it, IMO.  (I've done that too.)
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:11:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Chinese rocket flew over my head and hit a wall about 60ft away from the 2300 gallons of JP8 I was standing on top of.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Bad kayak spill about 6 months ago.
The water was lower than normal, this made more boulders stick out and the water more focused into small gaps.
Aside from the cuts and bruises, I ended up ripping lots of skin off my fingers and hands while trying to hold on to stuff and fight the water.

Got some altered finger prints out of it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:13:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Out in the open when Iraqi terrorist fuckers were lobbing rockets at us.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:14:22 AM EDT
[#23]
NICU.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:16:40 AM EDT
[#24]
27 Feb. 1991...Jalibah Airfield Iraq.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:18:28 AM EDT
[#25]
It's a toss up between the FBI knocking on my door or having to tell my then fiancée's father she was pregnant.  
Both worked out fine but I damn near pissed myself each time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:18:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Every time my Mother calls me by my full name.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:20:14 AM EDT
[#27]
when my son was little I put some oral-gel on his gums and he seemed to gag
and for some reason it scared the crap out of me thinking I somehow harmed him.

It takes a lot to scare me and that was the worst ever.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:22:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Hitting a doe on a bike at 70 mph.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:22:59 AM EDT
[#29]
When my son was five he fell down a flight of stairs, coming to a stop on his neck then laying motionless.

I thought I had just watched my son die.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:23:23 AM EDT
[#30]

The moment they wheeled away my 3 day old daughter for open heart surgery.

I've been shot at countless times overseas, had a truck blown up with me in, countless rockets and mortars fired at me....and that moment was the most scared I had been in my entire life.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:24:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Went left of center after hitting a big doe and went head on with a pickup.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:26:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Almost drowning at the beach as a early teen. Just remember being rolled around the bottom like a tumbleweed.

Me and 5-6 friends rode our horses into town to Ruby Tuesday's and were hit by a distracted driver.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:26:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Almost drowned in Okinawa doing stupid shit while snorkeling.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:26:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Trespassing fuck stick on my grandpa's land started shooting at me and my cousin as we were walking across a field.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Went left of center after hitting a big doe and went head on with a pickup.
View Quote

I totaled a company truck once.  It was not scary.   I slept through the bad part.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't have anything that holds a candle to some of the above experiences.

Mine was a home invasion by one inky redhead and three brothers that rushed me when I opened the door. I can't think of anything else where I was so suddenly overwhelmed by rapidly shifting circumstances.
Worst part of it is the useleness of any advanced preps, I had no time to react, in a split second the scenario flipped before I had time to realize what was happening. Lucky for me was cousin was upstairs and ran down to help.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#37]
The first time I fired my Glock.....  
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:28:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Working on an FPSO (floating oil production, storage, and offloading facility) in Africa.

Operators decided to swap over 2 10" pipelines to different modules all at once. The resulting spike in pressure shut the facility down, and diverted all the pressure out of the flare boom. (200' tower that burned off all excess product via open flame) I was sleeping at the time, and it sounded like a space shuttle was launching 20 feet from my room. The flame was nearly 300', so hot it made me squint from 500' away. I ran outside in tears, thinking I was about to die. loudest noise I've ever heard.  When the Check valves engaged, it sounded louder than 20lbs of tannerite exploding at 50 yards. If you see everyone in the facility running full speed to try to get behind the blast wall, it makes you question how you've been living real quick.

Pic of that particular facility's flare tower. When this happened, the flame was 3 times as tall. Scary shit, only time I've actually shed tears thinking I was about to die.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:28:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Trespassing fuck stick on my grandpa's land started shooting at me and my cousin as we were walking across a field.
View Quote

How'd that end?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:29:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The first time I fired my Glock.....  
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:30:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I took a piss in an out house at a range.

As I drained the main vein I casually looked down into the hole.

There, 6 feet below me was a wasp nest being peed on.

All of them scrambled clear of the downpour and clawed for altitude, droning hellishly.

All converging on one point--my rapidly shriveling penis.

I shrieked like a woman and ran to my car.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:31:31 AM EDT
[#42]
When the crazy bitch I was banging told me she thought she was pregnant
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:33:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Don't quite know how to answer this question, since I've inherited a useless fallout shelter from the Cuban missile crisis.

I grew up with being scared.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:34:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Has happened to me four times. One street robbery, two robberies in two different pizza places and once by little shitheap bangers looking for trouble.
Oddly, did not scare me as much as my business dying pretty much over night and going from having a fair amount of money to having no money, no job, no truck and no hope of quickly attaining the same income level that I had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am glad that we are both still alive to tell of what we experienced.

We are blessed. For others...................

I have edited many remarks I wanted to say. I don`t want to Hi-jack the OP`s question.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:35:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Was pulling a transmission off an Audi 4000.   AWD,  so that bitch was heavy.   Heard a creaking sound from the jack stands.   Oh shit.  Slid out from under the car at lightning speed and about 3 seconds later,  the car came crashing down.   Turns out the jack points on the car were completley rusted underneath,  despite no visual signs on the outside.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:36:14 AM EDT
[#46]
When the lights on your tug go out in 20ft seas a hundred miles from land towing a dead ship behind you things get very real very fast.  Thank God we had a ace engineer aboard.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:37:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Truck behind me in AFG got blown up and caught fire quickly and violently with my three best friends in it.  I was in the turret and it was about 0200.  The truck's FSS and hydraulic/pneumatic/whatever-the-fuck doors failed in the explosion and wouldn't open.  No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't see anyone climbing out the turret or egress hatch behind it, and radio was silent... And I thought for absolute certain I was watching my best friends burn to death and there was nothing I could do.  I have never felt that combination of terror, anger, and helplessness in my life.  It was my first deployment and I think I had been in country for only a couple weeks.  

Luckily, they all escaped out of the egress hatch behind the turret and jumped off the back of the truck, running to the 6oclock. The turret and flames hid just enough that I couldn't see them.  Banged up , concussed, and only very minor burns, thank God.

Accurate indirect fire about had me shitting my pants, too.  Probably would have if I wasn't so fucking tense.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:39:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Landing a friend's Piper Cherokee.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:40:31 AM EDT
[#49]
After reading this, I realize, I have never really been scared.  Never had any serious crap like ya'll.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Debarking off of the back of a CH-53 and going into a 360 security position while others unload, a pallet of ammo gets pushed off the rear of the helo and while the helo is moving about on the ground the hook below the tail rotor gets caught in a banding strap somehow on the pallet, the CH-53 starts to wobble about as its rear end is stuck while attempting to gain altitude, I am thinking it is going to chop us all of us as it is about to roll over onto us until the strap breaks loose and the pilot regains control and takes off without killing us
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top