BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 105
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:09:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

THe sight radius on an AK is nearly identical to the sight radius on an AR carbine.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/azoutdoorsman/sightradiusARAK.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Terrible sights, short sight radius, horrible trigger, horrible safety, magazine retained by a protrusion rather than depression, charging handle on wrong side, terrible for mounting optics and they smell like communism.

ETA but don't tell my M92 PAP I said those hateful things.  It might reject my Form 1

THe sight radius on an AK is nearly identical to the sight radius on an AR carbine.

I did not make a comparison.  I made an absolute statement.  So the sight radius, on both, sucks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:12:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:14:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I love shooting my AK way more than my AR.... The low cheek weld, the signature kick it produces, the sound.

Being left handed, I get to witness the reciprocation of the charging handle.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:15:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Throw AKs into trash.

Sell FALs.

Buy AR15.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I own AK's and FAL's.......I don't own a single AR.  

Throw AKs into trash.

Sell FALs.

Buy AR15.

Not a FAL, but similar. Sort of . Would not trade for AR.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't say I hate them but I just don't like them very much.  They feel old, flimsy, cheap, and just generally shitty to me.

I know they have a purpose, but so does a hi point.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:32:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Throw AKs into trash. (No....)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I own AK's and FAL's.......I don't own a single AR.  

Throw AKs into trash. (No....)

Sell FALs. (FUCK NO!)

Buy AR15.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Because 'Murica.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I did not make a comparison.  I made an absolute statement.  So the sight radius, on both, sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Terrible sights, short sight radius, horrible trigger, horrible safety, magazine retained by a protrusion rather than depression, charging handle on wrong side, terrible for mounting optics and they smell like communism.

ETA but don't tell my M92 PAP I said those hateful things.  It might reject my Form 1

haha gotcha.  I'm so used to these threads being nothing but AR vs AK that I had just assumed that's where you were going with it
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
because it is the face of the commies but it is silly to hate an object
View Quote

I came here to post "Because it's the bad guy's gun."
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:29:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You should have bought Yugo parts kits when they were cheap, then you could have built them at home
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't hate AKs. I just hate the Yugo I have because it's a Century fucked piece of shit and unreliable

You should have bought Yugo parts kits when they were cheap, then you could have built them at home

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:35:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Put me in combat I'll take an AK. For surgical accuracy I'll keep my ARs
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:51:49 AM EDT
[#12]
It's a shitty communist design, built with communist quality control, with antiquated ergonomics, and crappy optics mounting.

The only decent AKs are those built by the Finns (and the Israeli derivatives) and the Swiss.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I love mine, they are so damn fun to shoot.

When i head to the range i pick the AK over the AR 80% of the time
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:11:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't hate them.

I've procrastinated buying because I wasn't sure I wanted to dive into another cartridge.

I want to rebuild/refinish one though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Love me some AKs. I actually prefer AK ergos over the AR's.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't really hate AK's. I have 3 of them. 2 AKM's and one Arsenal SLR 104FR. However; from a standpoint of which rifle is more effectve:

AR is better at mounting optics
AR is better at replacement of critical parts, or replacement of parts, period.
AR is better from a logistical standpoint since most parts for it are made here in America, and there's hundreds of manufacturers.
AR has a much better safety, right out of the box. AK safety sucks, and sucks less if you install a Kreb's safety.
AR is much more accurate, and can be properly free-floated. With much better rail systems.
AR is much better in terms of manipulation. Drop-free mags, and bolt release in a convenient location. AK doesn't even have at least a 'last round hold open'. At least not without surgery to modify the rifle.
AR is much easier to mount a suppressor to.
AR has much more effective range when compared to 7.62 AK's. Just marginally better when comparing to a 5.45 or 5.56 AK.

As a ranch rifle or just for fun? Sure, AK's are alright for that. Serious shit? Nope, going the AR route.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:26:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't hate them, it is just that almost every other rifle is so much better.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:29:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Love me some AKs. I actually prefer AK ergos over the AR's.
View Quote

Take a carbine course

Come back

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:39:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't hate them but as said, now that a cheap, shitty WASR costs more than a mid range AR like a S&W sport, I have no interest in one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I love shooting my AK way more than my AR.... The low cheek weld, the signature kick it produces, the sound.

Being left handed, I get to witness the reciprocation of the charging handle.

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't really hate AK's. I have 3 of them. 2 AKM's and one Arsenal SLR 104FR. However; from a standpoint of which rifle is more effectve:

AR is better from a logistical standpoint since most parts for it are made here in America, and there's hundreds of manufacturers.
AR has a much better safety, right out of the box. AK safety sucks, and sucks less if you install a Kreb's safety.
AR is much more accurate, and can be properly free-floated. With much better rail systems.
AR is much better in terms of manipulation. Drop-free mags, and bolt release in a convenient location. AK doesn't even have at least a 'last round hold open'. At least not without surgery to modify the rifle.
AR has much more effective range when compared to 7.62 AK's. Just marginally better when comparing to a 5.45 or 5.56 AK.

As a ranch rifle or just for fun? Sure, AK's are alright for that. Serious shit? Nope, going the AR route.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:17:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Some very convincing arguments here.  My AK is in the trash can.   Now all I have left is the Mini 14.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2012-11-02095739.jpg

Could've just bought a 6920 and added a drop-in rail for wayyyy cheaper.

Still has a less than great reciprocating charging handle setup, crappy safety; and, less than stellar barrel harmonics, too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Designed for peasants...on a potato.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It wants to be an AR so much, but garbage will always be garbage though, no matter how it tries.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It wants to be an AR so much, but garbage will always be garbage though, no matter how it tries.

Wonder how much that red headed step child weighs, too...
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:27:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Still has a less than great reciprocating charging handle setup, crappy safety; and, less than stellar barrel harmonics, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2012-11-02095739.jpg

I can build a better rifle than the crap Colt puts out for less. I still prefer the stock and handguards of an AK over all of the numerous ARs I have shot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I can build a better rifle than the crap Colt puts out for less. I still prefer the stock and handguards of an AK over all of the numerous ARs I have shot.
View Quote

Ok, don't  buy a Colt. Buy or build something else.

How do you mount IR equipment on a standard AK handgaurd?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't hate them,  I just think there are a half dozen other weapons I'd take to war before taking an AK.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:33:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RS Products BM1. Don't mod the handguards. Alternately, ultimak with a 90* offset rail.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Designed for peasants...on a potato.
View Quote

Why you for to no potato leave be?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#33]
i don't hate AKs, but rock in mags and notch sights mean that i will never choose it over something like an AR.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

RS Products BM1. Don't mod the handguards. Alternately, ultimak with a 90* offset rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, you could just have this, that is much more balanced, lightweight, accurate, better controls, etc. etc:

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except aperture style sights (like on the AR) are much better than crude leaf style sights.

Plus, irons suck for anything other than hunting from a blind or range shooting. This isn't the 1980's. Flat top AR with quality optics = winning.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Your preferences are retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I still prefer the stock and handguards of an AK over all of the numerous ARs I have shot.

Your preferences are retarded.

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Your preferences are wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I still prefer the stock and handguards of an AK over all of the numerous ARs I have shot.

And this is why I don't listen to you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because he has actual real world experience, and listening to him would leave you in a state of the centipedes dilemma?

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Because he has actual real world experience, and listening to him would leave you in a state of the centipedes dilemma?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, because preferences are personal. Add to that, the AK as a style of rifle has killed more people than the AR style.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter AK's are the best rifle evar.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No that belongs to the M1 Garand
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No, because preferences are personal. Add to that, the AK as a style of rifle has killed more people than the AR style.
View Quote

Well, when the Soviets were handing them out to everyone that had any sort of slight against the west, or favored communism that led  to a lot of rifles.

However, how many first world countries that have well trained armies use some sort of AR rifle now?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#44]
I also don't hate AK's.  

But I've seen them in their natural environment, at all levels of care, and from many nations.

They are a junk rifle, designed to be cranked out, carried a lot, shot a little, and thrown away instead of being rebuilt.

Wow, what could have been right?
ETA- and that's what I think is hilarious about the AK, especially it's false representation in pop culture and media.
The AK-47/ AKM...  
It's the cut rate version the Soviets settled on.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I also don't hate AK's.  
But I've seen them in their natural environment, at all levels of care, and from many nations.
They are a junk rifle, designed to be cranked out, carried a lot, shot a little, and thrown away instead of being rebuilt.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss180/longtrec/AK46.jpg

View Quote

That needs to be brought back.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I also don't hate AK's.  

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss180/longtrec/AK46.jpg

ETA- and that's what I think is hilarious about the AK, especially it's false representation in pop culture and media.

The AK-47/ AKM...  

It's the cut rate version the Soviets settled on.  

View Quote

Kinda looks like an SKS and an FAL fucked. Except it looks like it retains the same rotating bolt design as the AKM.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't like the magazines, safety, bolt handle, and sights. The AR is far superior in ergonomics. That said, I love my AKs. I just love my ARs more.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#48]
they don't have gas rings.

they don't poop where they eat.

they make too much distinctive noise.

there's too many of them.

their bullets weigh twice as much.

they're folded together at build parties / puppy sacrifices
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#49]
AK love here. I have five. Had 8 at one time. Only have 4 ARs.

My go to SHTF gun is my M1A.  Go figure. I only have one and my wife has one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Kinda looks like an SKS and an FAL fucked. Except it looks like it retains the same rotating bolt design as the AKM.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Well, considering the AK is just a bunch of poorly implemented ideas from other guns, that's probably a pretty apt description.

Hey!  Guess what other gun utilizes a really milimilistic system to mount the barrel to the rest of the gun and also is known for accuracy issued!

Ooohhh... that's right, the G-36.  

Now, yes it's two very different systems... but the end results are somewhat similar, for similar reasons.
AK's in their natural environments...

Page / 105
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top