BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 105
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:11:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know of anybody making piston AR variants that were actually considered for military use prior to HK. Who were the others?  

(With the exception of the T65, now that I think about it.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So did the AR-15. Didn't stop people from cramming a piston in it, because they knew somebody would buy it. I do believe HK really thought they could make a more reliable carbine. But I'm assuming every other company just bought into HK's marketing, and jumped on the bandwagon.

I'm sure there's a good reason those 80's era Rhino piston kits never caught on.

The HK is recent to the piston market. Nobody "followed" their lead. There are other piston rifle companies that have been around longer.

The information environment was also much different in the 80's than it is now. Think about how fast we get information today versus back then. Would you not agree that would effect marketing as well?

I don't know of anybody making piston AR variants that were actually considered for military use prior to HK. Who were the others?  

Armalite made an AR designed around a piston that went through initial trials with the military.

It's design later found it's way into the G-36 (which has been copied by the SCAR), and then into the HK-416.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought Afghanman was all about shotguns? Soviet man or Paki man seems more appropriate this time.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101123011659/superman/images/3/3e/Red_Son_Superman.jpg

You called?

Needs more ushanka and wvodka
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:18:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So did the AR-15. Didn't stop people from cramming a piston in it, because they knew somebody would buy it. I do believe HK really thought they could make a more reliable carbine. But I'm assuming every other company just bought into HK's marketing, and jumped on the bandwagon.

I'm sure there's a good reason those 80's era Rhino piston kits never caught on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is false, they traded them all in for shotguns and screen doors.

If Geneva allowed Halalberds, they would carry them instead.

ARF logic: If it isn't an M4 clone or a G19, it is useless junk. LOL.

You can add a FF tube, 2 stage trigger, coated BCG, and GD will declare your rifle better. Add a different gas system, and it is complete shit.

You can't just go adding different gas systems to rifles that weren't designed for them.

Let's go about making the AK a roller lock gun, and see how well that turns out.

No AK works fine.

Except tests have repeatedly shown that they did make a more reliable carbine. It gets dismissed here as "not significant enough to justify the weight, or cost..." But that doesn't change the results.

They never catch on, because some manufacturers have had early issues, and the military hasn't adopted them. If the military starts using them as standard issue, you will get more people buying and using them on the civilian side due to familiarity, lower cost, and "if the military uses it, it must be good"
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:20:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Armalite made an AR designed around a piston that went through initial trials with the military.

It's design later found it's way into the G-36 (which has been copied by the SCAR), and then into the HK-416.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The HK is recent to the piston market. Nobody "followed" their lead. There are other piston rifle companies that have been around longer.

The information environment was also much different in the 80's than it is now. Think about how fast we get information today versus back then. Would you not agree that would effect marketing as well?

Ya It seems most "new" rifles are completely copied from AR-18 guts.

Which I guess is a testament to the design, or lazy engineers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:25:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

SCARs are actually piston ARs.

Rooster told me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rooster told me.

Well, it does have an AR mag.

Must be AR.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:28:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Because it's an ugly POS.

m
View Quote

Add tape and whoreface stickers.

Then stop worrying about losing and just win.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:32:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Must be AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rooster told me.

Must be AR.

There you have it.

Like a good GD basement dweller talking about women, I've seen and touched a SCAR a few times, just never been inside of one. The difference is I don't care.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:39:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:...
Like a good GD basement dweller talking about women, I've seen and touched a SCAR a few times, just never been inside of one. The difference is I don't care.
View Quote

Try women, they're pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:45:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There you have it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rooster told me.

Must be AR.

There you have it.

So should we pass the hat around to get you a whore, or you comfortable in your virginity at this point
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:48:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:48:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So should we pass the hat around to get you a whore, or you comfortable in your virginity at this point
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rooster told me.

Must be AR.

There you have it.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:50:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There you have it.

View Quote

Strange, I hold a similar opinion about piston AR's.

They look like a beautiful normal AR on the outside, but once you strip them down you get a piston surprise.

Just never can know these days.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They look like a beautiful normal AR on the outside, but once you strip them down you get a piston surprise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There you have it.

I don't have an issue with SCARS (obviously I don't know dick about them) other than they are more money than I want to spend on a rifle. They are probably awesome.

Usually it's pretty easy to tell DI and Piston without stripping them down. My piston guns haven't had issues.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What did they dump into filthy fifteen or whatever retarded number it has with it's nominal less than 16K rounds of reliability after half a dozen bolt changes and such? A gallon of oil? To keep it going? Where the fuck are you going to get oil from during SHTF? You going to be draining oil pans  or something? Carrying around gallon jugs of 10W-30 and a baggie of O-Rings with springs?

LOL

Retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saying "shits where it eats" automatically disqualifies you from having relevancy.

What did they dump into filthy fifteen or whatever retarded number it has with it's nominal less than 16K rounds of reliability after half a dozen bolt changes and such? A gallon of oil? To keep it going? Where the fuck are you going to get oil from during SHTF? You going to be draining oil pans  or something? Carrying around gallon jugs of 10W-30 and a baggie of O-Rings with springs?

LOL

Retarded.

The guy who can't maintain his equipment is calling someone retarded?

Hilarious.

You can't seriously  believe a piece of steel was buried for nearly two decades, and wasn't a lump of shit afterwards, can you? Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

ETA: The King of Terrain has shown up, this thread has officially got its second wind.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't have an issue with SCARS (obviously I don't know dick about them) other than they are more money than I want to spend on a rifle. They are probably awesome.

Usually it's pretty easy to tell DI and Piston without stripping them down. My piston guns haven't had issues.

View Quote

Eh, the one's I'd handled seemed meh. I liked the balance of the AR too much too much to justify the added forward weight of the piston system. Too much money for too little improvement.

Some of those Piston rifles with full length rails seemed pretty hard to tell sometimes. Like a flowing red dress veiling a hidden surprise.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

The SCAR is a completely different design.  It could more correctly be considered a derivative of the AR-18 than the AR-15.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hilarious.

You can't seriously  believe a piece of steel was buried for nearly two decades, and wasn't a lump of shit afterwards, can you? Do you believe everything you read on the internet?

ETA: The King of Terrain has shown up, this thread has officially got its second wind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saying "shits where it eats" automatically disqualifies you from having relevancy.

LOL

Retarded.

Hilarious.

Dude he doesn't need to maintain his equipment. AKs are shipped from the factory with a Krokodil injection kit, instead of a cleaning kit in the buttstock.

Why you ask, because AKs DON"T REQUIRE CLEANING
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:06:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hilarious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Retarded.

Hilarious.

Not to mention the retarded end of the world scenario with gallons of lube being carried around,

A small bottle of CLP will last a month in the field, or in  a combat zone, or through about 1,000 rounds at the range. I guess I'll need to start carrying a gallon jug of oil around, when I can carry 10,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:07:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Dude he doesn't need to maintain his equipment. AKs are shipped from the factory with a Krokodile injection kit, instead of a cleaning kit in the buttstock.

View Quote

You have a point. I keep forgetting that somehow, by stamping it out of cheap, eastern European steel, an AK becomes enchanted with magic powers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:11:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not to mention the retarded end of the world scenario with gallons of lube being carried around,

A small bottle of CLP will last a month in the field, or in  a combat zone, or through about 1,000 rounds at the range. I guess I'll need to start carrying a gallon jug of oil around, when I can carry 10,000 rounds.
View Quote

I just use Mobil One Synthetic 10W-40.

900 rounds over the course of 2 days. Never had to re-apply lube or do cleaning. Zero hiccups.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:12:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110218194938/inciclopedia/images/a/a0/Lol.jpg

You have a point. I keep forgetting that somehow, by stamping it out of cheap, eastern European steel, an AK becomes enchanted with magic powers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude he doesn't need to maintain his equipment. AKs are shipped from the factory with a Krokodile injection kit, instead of a cleaning kit in the buttstock.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110218194938/inciclopedia/images/a/a0/Lol.jpg

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:15:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

LOL

Retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Retarded.

A few ounces of CLP is too much to carry? A bottle can last quite a while. I doubt SHTF would last that long.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#24]

This is the most reliable AR ever made.

I've never shot one, or handled it, but on paper it's the best.  

I've loosely defined it myself as an AR because the letters A and R are in the manufacturers name, so it's pretty much just the same as other rifles.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://www.eabco.com/ShilohQuigley_small.gif

This is the most reliable AR ever made.

I've never shot one, or handled it, but on paper it's the best.  

I've loosely defined it myself as an AR because the letters A and R are in the manufacturers name, so it's pretty much just the same as other rifles.
View Quote

Well played.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:18:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey y'all. Check out my new piston AR.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:19:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A few ounces of CLP is too much to carry? A bottle can last quite a while. I doubt SHTF would last that long.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Retarded.

We're balls deep in fantasy land, the SHTF is going to be just like Lucifer's Hammer. I hope you're ready for post-apocalyptic chemical warfare.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Clearly thats a FAL, or maybe the gun from Heat.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:22:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pretty sure it's a Glock
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well Goddamn.

We finally solved it.

There is now no reason for AR15.com to exist.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:33:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I dont know if they've fixed it on that new M6 IC, but I have seen many have BAD issues with the gasblock/piston/spring.

Seen a few have barrels come lose, which is a pain to fix with how the barrel attaches.

Lots of carrier tilt wear evident even with the beefed up rear of the BCG.

View Quote

When they made the IC the entire piston system was beefed up in addition to changing the return spring to a flatwire design. Most of what you saw were a few cases and they were addressed with the system being redesigned. To my knowledge the IC does not use a traditional barrel nut to lock the barrel. Offhand I don't remember it however I'm sure there are some more knowledgeable LWRC owners in here than me.

As I said I personally have never met anyone who has had any of the issues you describe. That must say something considering in terms of failure rate but then again compared to DI owners (or both) we are a smaller group.

The only issue I have seen with the IC is the bolt stop is short and does not engage all magazines reliably. I do believe this has been fixed. I'll have to check the LWRC forum.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:34:47 AM EDT
[#32]
it's a barbarian's rifle. Bond James Bond would have nothing of it
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unlike most arfcommers james bond is actually cool.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#34]
This is your new god...

And these are his disciples...

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:13:06 AM EDT
[#35]

They're nice and all but...

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Too late, it's already been subverting modern rifles...

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Damn! GD is so opinionated. Never thought this thread will last this long without getting locked.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Damn! GD is so opinionated. Never thought this thread will last this long without getting locked.
View Quote
Don't forget, there's alos a lot of members that are highly experienced with the topic to.  

It's not all unfounded opinion.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ive built enough AR's that I cant remember exactly how many are sitting downstairs right now. However, I only have 1 AK47 (sold my AK74 last month to consolidate calibers) but as of 30 minutes ago Ive got 3 more on the way and a whole lot more in the hole for after Xmas. I love them both.
View Quote

Heresy!!!! How dare you have a different opinion than the AR gurus in this thread!
Like both? What is wrong with you????

I like both a lot.  And the AK was much cheaper to shoot at one time than the AR.
Now not so much.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Heresy!!!! How dare you have a different opinion than the AR gurus in this thread!

I like both a lot.  And the AK was much cheaper to shoot at one time than the AR.
Now not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ive built enough AR's that I cant remember exactly how many are sitting downstairs right now. However, I only have 1 AK47 (sold my AK74 last month to consolidate calibers) but as of 30 minutes ago Ive got 3 more on the way and a whole lot more in the hole for after Xmas. I love them both.

Now not so much.

I own both.

However, I thought we were talking about which one was the better rifle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You can add a FF tube, 2 stage trigger, coated BCG, and GD will declare your rifle better. Add a different gas system, and it is complete shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

plenty of special people have been carrying SCARS and HKs with pistons.

In all the rooms I've ever cleared, I've never needed a different gas system.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It fucking takes meat from bone, show some respect
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It fucking takes meat from bone, show some respect

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

AK work fine on Battlefield 4

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, AK works fine in the trash can.

FACT
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

FACT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, AK works fine in the trash can.

FACT

No, it's not. The AKs don't work right on Battlefield 4. They don't instantly kill people with one shot to the foot from 500yd.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I own both.

But I only use the AK to torture people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I own both.

I own both.

But I only use the AK to torture people.

Careful that report might be released by the cia
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously you've only cleared, not operationally operated.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

We all know Bond prefers his Walthers, but he knows he won't get cooties if he uses an AK to drop some muthafuckas.  In style too.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
We all know Bond prefers his Walthers, but he knows he won't get cooties if he uses an AK to drop some muthafuckas.  In style too.

http://www.bondcollection.com.ar/armas_007/geye-16.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.bondcollection.com.ar/armas_007/geye-16.jpg

Real Bonds use AR's....

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But it depends on the terrain!!!!  The terrain determines how good a rifle is now!  

Will there be bears?

http://i59.tinypic.com/2hyeb1z.jpg

Page / 105
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top