Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:04:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't care what the wife says, when she finishes her 20, we're coming back for good.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't care what the wife says, when she finishes her 20, we're coming back for good.
View Quote

What's she in for?

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When you were carrying in your vehicle your firearm was supposed to be "visible" to an approaching LEO if on a traffic stop.  People would tuck their cover garment behind their holstered handgun or behind their back so it was visible.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to see this occurring in Ohio.  To think, it was ten years ago that their CCW law came into affect and the BS that has been effectively fought regarding just carrying in a car.

Good job Ohio firearms owners!

Part of my nostalgic self is actually a bit sad that the fabled "Buckeye Tuck" went away.

That shit was embarrassing.

What was that?

When you were carrying in your vehicle your firearm was supposed to be "visible" to an approaching LEO if on a traffic stop.  People would tuck their cover garment behind their holstered handgun or behind their back so it was visible.  

Well, now we have the "hidden compartment for drugs" law, to keep the level of legislative stupidity on full alert.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
(B) A resident of this state may submit to the sheriff of the county in which the resident resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the resident resides any federal form that requires a law enforcement certification by a chief law enforcement officer.
(C) The sheriff shall accept and process the certification in the same manner as an application for a concealed handgun license is processed under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, including the requirement for a background check, except as follows:
(1) If a resident of this state submits one or more federal forms, the sheriff shall charge the resident no more than the applicable fee described in division (B)(1)(a) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, without regard to how many federal forms are submitted at the same time.
(2) If a resident of this state submits one or more federal forms and currently has a concealed handgun license or the sheriff has previously approved a federal form for that resident, the sheriff shall charge the resident no more than the applicable fee described in division (F)(4) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, without regard to how many federal forms are submitted at the same time.

View Quote

My local LEO is happy to sign off.  That being said, I may take my next form 4 to the neighboring sheriff that would never sign off on the forms before now.  Why?  Because I can.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Has K signed it yet? How many days left until a potential no-sign makes it law?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Congrats OH

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hasn't signed it yet, but he has 10 days to sign it from the time it hits his desk. It would be a little ridiculous for him not to sign a bill that passed the senate 24-6.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats Buckeyes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My local LEO is happy to sign off.  That being said, I may take my next form 4 to the neighboring sheriff that would never sign off on the forms before now.  Why?  Because I can.  
View Quote

I went to a neighboring sheriff for my CHL because there was talk of the Dispatch publishing names of people who applied in Franklin County. Can't wait to see what they do now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think it's cool they threw that in there but I don't see how it will fly with the ATF.   Your local CLEO is not the Sheriff of the next county over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's cool they threw that in there but I don't see how it will fly with the ATF.   Your local CLEO is not the Sheriff of the next county over.

I wondered about that, too
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hasn't signed it yet, but he has 10 days to sign it from the time it hits his desk. It would be a little ridiculous for him not to sign a bill that passed the senate 24-6.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, absolutely. Just wondering what his time limit was. I'm pretty excited about this bill.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I went to a neighboring sheriff for my CHL because there was talk of the Dispatch publishing names of people who applied in Franklin County. Can't wait to see what they do now.
View Quote

Wait - when was there talk of this?

Fuck the Dispatch; miserable piece of Communist shit paper. I knew they were trash when they openly endorsed -  on the front page - Obama for his first election.

Stupid motherfuckers must not realize that posting my address and name as a CHL holder is just as "legal" as would be my posting of the author and editor's addresses.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Ohio citizens will be permitted to buy a long gun in any state. Currently Ohio citizens may only buy long guns from five contiguous states. That limitation dates back to the 1970's before the NICS background check system. The bill would recognize that background checks are much improved. (Purchases of handguns are still limited to state of residence by Federal law.)

Can I be in another state and buy a gun from an individual and bring it back to Ohio, or do I need to go through a FFL dealer and register the long gun?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#15]
To bad, we can't hunt with rifles...
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Ohio citizens will be permitted to buy a long gun in any state. Currently Ohio citizens may only buy long guns from five contiguous states. That limitation dates back to the 1970's before the NICS background check system. The bill would recognize that background checks are much improved. (Purchases of handguns are still limited to state of residence by Federal law.)

Can I be in another state and buy a gun from an individual and bring it back to Ohio, or do I need to go through a FFL dealer and register the long gun?
View Quote

FTF have to in state, both buyer and seller have to live in the state

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, we can.

Select rifles were approved for deer hunting this year:

.357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Cassull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.

Shotguns and stright-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes, we can.

.357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Cassull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.

Shotguns and stright-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, we can.

So we're talking about lever guns...?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

quoted from the ohio hometown forum
View All Quotes
Quoted:
gaspipes

What was stripped out of this at the last minute were the school zone fixes and the 18 year old active duty being able to carry legally without a CHL.

It is my understanding these things will be addressed but they needed more time for the details to make sure it was right.

Knowing you don't always get the full loaf at one time I think what has passed is very good and a huge leap forward for moving Ohio up on the list that the Brady Bunch puts out every year for places with the worst gun laws. Haha. We might be in the top 10 now. or at least top 20.

We got:(or will when the Gov signs)

1 - OH recognizes all other states licenses and permits

2 - Sheriff does NICS - this should allow us to buy guns without having to get NICS every time.

3 - Suppressor Hunting

4 - 31 round mag = Machine Gun is gone. No mag prohibitions in OH anymore

5 - Other instructors from National Gun Advocacy groups instrcutors can give OH CHL classes. Prior this was only OPOTA and NRA Certified. This means instructors certified by USCCA will be able to instruct CHL class

6 - 45 day residency requirement is gone

7 - CHL training reduced from 12 to 8 hours

8 - Provisions to allow for a portion of training to be ON LINE

9 - And the coup d'é·tat.... Sheriffs SHALL SIGN all NFA forms presented to them that require LEO certification if the person is legally allowed to possess the items under state and federal law.

There are other minor things. But these are the biggies IMO

quoted from the ohio hometown forum

Awesome!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, we can.

Mainly, yes.

However, there are ARs chambered in the above calibers.

I like to think this is just a "trial run" to see if we can run real rifle calibers like .223.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

We've been able to hunt with rifles for years, just not deer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Mainly, yes.

I like to think this is just a "trial run" to see if we can run real rifle calibers like .223.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, we can.

Mainly, yes.

God, I wish....
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

If the gun is crossing state lines, it must go through an FFL, regardless of state law (that is federal law). There is no gun registration in Ohio, and background checks are not required in a sale from one Ohio resident to another.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also this is true, .223 has been game for years on coyotes and others.

Again, maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think if we're responsible with straight-walled rifle carts, we may soon get 5.56 and 7.62 clearance for deer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm just happy they got rid of the stupid magazine bullshit.

No more problems ordering mags online....
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not understand what you are saying.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If the gun is crossing state lines, it must go through an FFL, regardless of state law (that is federal law). There is no gun registration in Ohio, and background checks are not required in a sale from one Ohio resident to another.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that an individual (not FFL) could sell to any other individual without regard to where either lived.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I thought that an individual (not FFL) could sell to any other individual without regard to where either lived.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

both must be a resident of the state the sale takes place in, if it is a FTF

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell no. GCA 1968. If the exchange crosses state lines (e.g.: I want to sell to someone who lives in West Virginia), you must go through an FFL.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Still no loaded rifle magazines in your vehicle ?????
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was fixed earlier this year.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, that was only if you have a CHL may you have loaded rifle mags?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  As long as they are in a separate compartment from the rifle, such as mag pockets in a rifle case.  With a CHL, anywhere but in the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nope.  As long as they are in a separate compartment from the rifle, such as mag pockets in a rifle case.  With a CHL, anywhere but in the rifle.
View Quote

Shit. Sorry for perpetuating misinformation, then.

If we just dropped these ridiculous laws this shit would be a lot easier to keep track of.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Took me a second to find it...

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16

" (a) "Unloaded" means

, with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question , and one of the following applies:

(i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.

(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.

(b) For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a "container that provides complete and separate enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;

(ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents. "
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, we can.

I have a suppressed Ruger 77/44. Next year I could hunt deer with it.

Like this
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Again, maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think if we're responsible with straight-walled rifle carts, we may soon get 5.56 and 7.62 clearance for deer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, I've been hunting ground hogs with my AR for years.

As for your latter comments, I think it should be county by county. I've been told the reason we don't have high power rifle permission on deer is because Ohio is very flat (in most parts) and has high population density.

However, some counties, like where I hunt in SE Ohio, are just like norther WV as far as landscape is concerned (rolling hills, damn near mountains, etc.). So, if they do county by county, I think it has a better chance of passing, versus statewide.

I'd rather have statewide, but then again I don't think I want some of the people around me shooting ARs or .30-06 powered rifles during deer season. It's scary enough what some people do with shotguns.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Proud day for us Ohioans
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Fuck the Dispatch; miserable piece of Communist shit paper. I knew they were trash when they openly endorsed -  on the front page - Obama for his first election.

Stupid motherfuckers must not realize that posting my address and name as a CHL holder is just as "legal" as would be my posting of the author and editor's addresses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No longer an option, but here's a story about it. http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/your-right-to-know/2011/09/police-videos.html
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

See my post earlier. You do not need to receive explicit permission to do something that has not been prohibited.

It is entirely legal for an Ohio resident to buy a rifle or shotgun from an FFL in any state, so long as that state does not prohibit such a sale. The reverse is also true - a resident of any other state can buy a rifle or shotgun from a dealer here in Ohio, and it has been perfectly legal for quite some time. People just get tripped up on the wording that existed to relieve a prohibition that has long since gone away. They have just been dead words that do nothing (except confuse people who don't grasp some of the most basic principles of our legal system).
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Like this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, we can.

Like this

That's awesome. I looked way too late when searching for ARs chambered in rounds I could hunt with this year. Nice role hopefully we'll see actual rifle cartridges allowed here at some point. I didn't even know any of this was on the legislative table here.

Is it too late to set up a trust for the initial suppressor purchase or has the ATF put the kibosh on that?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is it too late to set up a trust for the initial suppressor purchase or has the ATF put the kibosh on that?
View Quote

Do you anticipate multiple users of the item? If so, I would go LLC. One-time filing fee with minimal paperwork requirements in Ohio.

Otherwise, this bill mandates shall-sign by CLEOs, so just go individual.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, good deal, Ohio.

Congratulations are in order.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I think... that they included Ohio Sheriffs because they have more Authority than Sheriffs in many states. Once Ohio Guy see the Sheriff 's authority in many states you will go crazy.

Mine is pro-gun and the new law makes no difference.  Not the case in many counties.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#46]
And now SIGNED INTO LAW!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
And now SIGNED INTO LAW!

View Quote

I officially move back to Ohio tomorrow!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And now SIGNED INTO LAW!

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice got any links to this.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top