Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

quoted from the ohio hometown forum
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
gaspipes

What was stripped out of this at the last minute were the school zone fixes and the 18 year old active duty being able to carry legally without a CHL.

It is my understanding these things will be addressed but they needed more time for the details to make sure it was right.

Knowing you don't always get the full loaf at one time I think what has passed is very good and a huge leap forward for moving Ohio up on the list that the Brady Bunch puts out every year for places with the worst gun laws. Haha. We might be in the top 10 now. or at least top 20.

We got:(or will when the Gov signs)

1 - OH recognizes all other states licenses and permits

2 - Sheriff does NICS - this should allow us to buy guns without having to get NICS every time.

3 - Suppressor Hunting

4 - 31 round mag = Machine Gun is gone. No mag prohibitions in OH anymore

5 - Other instructors from National Gun Advocacy groups instrcutors can give OH CHL classes. Prior this was only OPOTA and NRA Certified. This means instructors certified by USCCA will be able to instruct CHL class

6 - 45 day residency requirement is gone

7 - CHL training reduced from 12 to 8 hours

8 - Provisions to allow for a portion of training to be ON LINE

9 - And the coup d'é·tat.... Sheriffs SHALL SIGN all NFA forms presented to them that require LEO certification if the person is legally allowed to possess the items under state and federal law.

There are other minor things. But these are the biggies IMO

quoted from the ohio hometown forum

Glad to see more and more States moving in the right direction regarding firearms.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
"Like"
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In the same session the red light camera legislation passed basically ending that scam...hell were on our way to becoming the new Texas....lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like I picked the right time to move back to Ohio

In the same session the red light camera legislation passed basically ending that scam...hell were on our way to becoming the new Texas....lol

Except OH has open carry
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like it's time for me to buy 60 rd mags and use them just because
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep. Shall issue NFA is huge and conversely gonna end up costing me a TON of $$$
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOW !!! I will be buying a can soon enough it looks like..

Yep. Shall issue NFA is huge and conversely gonna end up costing me a TON of $$$

Me =

My wallet =

Tax stamp. Suppressor. 9mm carbine. By your powers combined, some deer gonna die
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#8]
(B) A resident of this state may submit to the sheriff of the county in which the resident resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the resident resides any federal form that requires a law enforcement certification by a chief law enforcement officer.
(C) The sheriff shall accept and process the certification in the same manner as an application for a concealed handgun license is processed under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, including the requirement for a background check, except as follows:
(1) If a resident of this state submits one or more federal forms, the sheriff shall charge the resident no more than the applicable fee described in division (B)(1)(a) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, without regard to how many federal forms are submitted at the same time.
(2) If a resident of this state submits one or more federal forms and currently has a concealed handgun license or the sheriff has previously approved a federal form for that resident, the sheriff shall charge the resident no more than the applicable fee described in division (F)(4) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, without regard to how many federal forms are submitted at the same time.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a much needed law in this state.  Almost all of the damage done over the tears is now gone with more pro-hunting laws this is a good year for us.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I purposely moved to an area just get NFA items. This is huge.

FYI- what is this about purchasing a long gun in any state? I thought you could purchase a long in any state as long as they ship to an FFL, however does this mean if I'm on vacation in Florida I can buy a rifle directly?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

FYI- what is this about purchasing a long gun in any state? I thought you could purchase a long in any state as long as they ship to an FFL, however does this mean if I'm on vacation in Florida I can buy a rifle directly?
View Quote

According to Federal law you could. But not according to our state law. This bill will fix that.

Please contact Governor Kasich with your support (see page one for contact info).. It really is a dream bill on so many levels.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]
OH has continually been chipping away at bad laws. Not a bad place to be.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#13]
This is foreshadowing Nolo's victory over the GCA/NFA. Many things may be going poorly in this country, but when you see gun freedom expanding, you know there's lots of hope
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#15]
sent an email supporting the cause my state will be following you this year.  I would pull my hair out if we accomplish as much as you guys did.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, assuming there's no prohibition in that state.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#18]
BINGO!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like I picked the right time to move back to Ohio
View Quote

Welcome back!

I moved here from NJ earlier this year so imagine what I think about this?

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
According to Federal law you could. But not according to our state law. This bill will fix that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually, this will just remove unnecessary wording.

There was no prohibition, only an explicit allowance - not an exception to a prohibition, mind you, just an allowance, with no prohibition at all. Which equates to nothing (except for confusion).

See:

2923.22 Interstate transactions in firearms.

(A) Any resident of Ohio age eighteen or over, and not prohibited by section  2923.13 or  2923.15 of the Revised Code or any applicable law of another state or the United States from acquiring or using firearms, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition therefor in Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia.

(B) Any resident of Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia, age eighteen or over, and not prohibited by section  2923.13 or  2923.15 of the Revised Code or the laws of his domicile or the United States from acquiring or using firearms, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition therefor in Ohio.

(C) Any purchase and sale pursuant to this section shall be for such purposes and under such circumstances and upon such conditions as are prescribed by the "Gun Control Act of 1968," 82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3) , and any amendments or additions thereto or reenactments thereof.

Nowhere in here is there any mention of any crime or punishment, because there isn't any being described.

My understanding is that federal law previously required this, but that is no longer the case. Currently, anybody in any state can receive a rifle or shotgun from an FFL in any state, barring any state prohibitions - you don't need any additional "permission". So it's just a vestigial piece of code that no longer serves any actual purpose.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I live in Cleveland, the chief will not sign off on anything NFA so I can't get a suppressor. Does it mean I can get one now?
View Quote
I have friends in CLE that have suppressors, they all went with a trust

This is awesome for ohio, I wish I still lived there

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:55:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Awesome news
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:05:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
that is how i am reading it.

also now a CLEO  has to sign form 1 or 4 correct?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So no more magazine restrictions?

not CLEO, only sheriffs.....

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:08:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I live in Cleveland, the chief will not sign off on anything NFA so I can't get a suppressor. Does it mean I can get one now?
View Quote
90 days after the gov signs...

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, this is pretty big for us. That's a LOT of pro gun goodness in one fell swoop.

After this is signed, any complaints about gun laws in Ohio will have been reduced to pedantic nitpicking.

And I hope we address those nitpicks in future legislative sessions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Good for you folks up there!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Loaded rifles in vehicles would be nice, especially if you already have your CHL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, this is pretty big for us. That's a LOT of pro gun goodness in one fell swoop.

After this is signed, any complaints about gun laws in Ohio will have been reduced to pedantic nitpicking.

Loaded rifles in vehicles would be nice, especially if you already have your CHL.

So would bypassing NICS, if you already have your CHL.

Those are the only two I can think of, off hand.

Shit, they even corrected some of the disqualifiers for obtaining a CHL. It now mirrors federal law - if you're allowed to own a firearm, you're allowed to get your CHL. This means that somebody (and I actually know such a somebody) who was busted for having a joint back in 1968, can finally get his CHL.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Well done Buckeye State!  May your good deed spread far and wide.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#33]
This has been recently implemented in Florida; good luck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Shit, they even corrected some of the disqualifiers for obtaining a CHL. It now mirrors federal law - if you're allowed to own a firearm, you're allowed to get your CHL. This means that somebody (and I actually know such a somebody) who was busted for having a joint back in 1968, can finally get his CHL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they fixed the MJ thing in a previous bill, but I could be wrong. Either way, there isn't too much left to fix. We've made big strides since the original CHL implementation. I'd definitely like to see CHL changed to CCW next, along with some sort of baseline BAC level established.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Hell yes!!! bring on the drums and 40rd PMAGS!  Gov Kasich has aligned with us in the past, lets really hope so this time!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#36]
This is good no doubt, but it is sad we have to be happy about getting permission to exersize a god given right.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks like I will be able to carry when I go visit relatives now - thank you very much OH!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I thought they fixed the MJ thing in a previous bill, but I could be wrong. Either way, there isn't too much left to fix. We've made big strides since the original CHL implementation. I'd definitely like to see CHL changed to CCW next, along with some sort of baseline BAC level established.
View Quote

I'm not sure why you would want that.  Right now, the law says, "No person, while under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse, shall carry or use any firearm".  I would assume that the same definition as that for OVI would apply.  Do other states have a specific BAC that differs from the limit for driving?

ETA: Have there been cases where someone was convicted with a lower BAC?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Looks like moving home won't be too bad.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So no more magazine restrictions?

By Ohio law the Sheriff is the CLEO in any county. Sheriff can arrest the police chief. Police Chief can't arrest the Sheriff.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT- Nevermind. Guess I shouldn't admit to accidentally violating a rule.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm not sure why you would want that.  Right now, the law says, "No person, while under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse, shall carry or use any firearm".  I would assume that the same definition as that for OVI would apply.  Do other states have a specific BAC that differs from the limit for driving?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no base established for CCW, which means anything besides stone cold sober can be considered a violation. Most other states have a limit that mirrors vehicle operations at 0.08. Not even getting into the silliness that you're merely carrying and not operating(which is A-OK to do with a vehicle ).
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#43]
So where does it say they will accept any states CCW? The only thing I saw in regards to CCW was the class would be reduced from 12 to 8 hours. I am from Ohio originally and have ALOT of family there but they currently do not recognize my CCW so it would be nice if this changes so I can carry when I visit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OH has continually been chipping away at bad laws. Not a bad place to be.
View Quote

Yup.....Not a bad place to be..........
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Maybe Kasich is trying to redeem himself from the 1994 backstabbing he gave us gun owners!
Does he have his eye on running for POTUS or VP?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So where does it say they will accept any states CCW? The only thing I saw in regards to CCW was the class would be reduced from 12 to 8 hours. I am from Ohio originally and have ALOT of family there but they currently do not recognize my CCW so it would be nice if this changes so I can carry when I visit.
View Quote

That part was removed from the bill.  

That would probably be better off pass on its own
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the background checks requirement for CHL opened the door to more reciprocity agreements with other states that had more stringent requirements such as Texas.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top