Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 12/6/2014 9:20:03 AM EDT
I hate that LEO are catching flack for the 2 recent issues in which career criminals resisted being taken into custody and ended up dead.

Here is a newsflash , don't resist arrest , don't fight LEO, don't try to take their weapons - you just may end up dead.

Hands up don't shoot , how about not engaging in nefarious activity?

If you want to fight a LEO let yourself be taken into custody , post bail , hire an attorney , get your day in court - then fight

OK now that I have vented ( watching national news right now )

LEOS tell me why a BODY cam is a waste of resources, or why you think it may be a good thing ?

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Many cops are in jail because of their own behavior, in front of their own dash mounted video cams.

If not for the evidence of their own camera they might not be in jail.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not a waste.

During the day.

At night, your sweet body cam is just another audio recorder.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I hate that LEO are catching flack for the 2 recent issues in which career criminals resisted being taken into custody and ended up dead.

Here is a newsflash , don't resist arrest , don't fight LEO, don't try to take their weapons - you just may end up dead.

Hands up don't shoot , how about not engaging in nefarious activity?

If you want to fight a LEO let yourself be taken into custody , post bail , hire an attorney , get your day in court - then fight

OK now that I have vented ( watching national news right now )

LEOS tell me why a BODY cam is a waste of resources, or why you think it may be a good thing ?

View Quote

I would love to have one. but it isnt going to change anything.
there is clear as day video of that kid pointing a gun at the cops when they pull up and the bleeding hearts are STILL
screaming that police executed a poor little boy just sitting on a park bench.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not afraid of the body or car cameras.

I'll do what I do with or without them.

We got our first in car cameras around 2000 with a  grant.

No money was set aside to maintain the equipment.

When stuff wore out it never got fixed.

Eventually the city had to get a new grant to buy new cameras.

Same story as before, no money to fix anything.

Right now more than half of our fleet does not have working cameras.

When you go to court everyone wants to see the video but with so many of them broken most of the time there isn't any.

The prosecutor and defense attorney get all kinds of butt hurt.

Will body cameras be any different? I doubt it.

It will cost some cops their job and or freedom and will save a some.

I remember the days when my word actually meant something and if I said it happened that was good enough.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
There have already been lawsuits saying the videos are invasions of privacy, suppression hearings trying to get rid of the video, people that see the camera recording and all the sudden don't want to file a complaint (bad thing?)

Al Sharpton told me that everyone wanted it though?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I remember the days when my word actually meant something and if I said it happened that was good enough.
View Quote

I remember the days when I used to tell my kids to trust the police.  Now I have to teach them the trickery police will use just to get an arrest over stupid small stuff.  I remember the days I thought police would tell the truth, then I sat on a grand jury and saw first hand hundreds of cases that made salt-of-the-earth citizens felons.  I miss the good ole days also.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When you go to court everyone wants to see the video
View Quote

Once the Defense discovers it, my experience has been exactly the opposite. "Ugh.... About that plea deal?"
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in favor of them.

Here are some considerations though. They are a good tool....but not ht eonly thing that needs to be considered when evaluating a  UOF situation.

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/body-cameras/articles/7580663-10-limitations-of-body-cams-you-need-to-know-for-your-protection/
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I remember the days when I used to tell my kids to trust the police.  Now I have to teach them the trickery police will use just to get an arrest over stupid small stuff.  I remember the days I thought police would tell the truth, then I sat on a grand jury and saw first hand hundreds of cases that made salt-of-the-earth citizens felons.  I miss the good ole days also.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have been on hundreds of grand jury's?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#11]
gonna cost more for taxpayers....gonna reveal what most people already know about the "hands up" people....so no fucks given, bring them on

it will always be something though, even after cameras there will be some sort of issue....always gonna be "hands out, hands up" people
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I think body cams are a great Idea. Cops should be fully accountable, when they work for "the people". As such everything should be filmed for theirprotection as well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#13]
And it works both ways, the statistics are pretty clear, camera use results in both reduced excessive force accusations by citizens as well as actual use of force by police officers.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#14]
It's only a matter of time when everything that everyone does is recorded anyway.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#15]
As a supervisor, the dash cams make investigating complaints a breeze.  I can't wait for the inevitable body cams.  Maintaining them will be expensive and a logistical nightmare, but thats not my problem.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Zero issue here.  Bring them on.

Funding is the issue for us.  Reoccurring cost to store all that data is more than a smaller budget can handle without cutting elsewhere.  

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

When you go to court everyone wants to see the video but with so many of them broken most of the time there isn't any.

View Quote
Unfortunately, cops are our own worst enemy.  We hired way too many people of questionable ethics for our word to be taken as Gospel anymore.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#19]
the camera will have some shortfalls

1. May not be oriented in the right direction
2. Captures stuff in 2D
3. In the case in NY , you see the perp with his hands up , but he is clearly resisting arrest and not allowing his hands to be cuffed - this could be subtle

4. People will draw whatever conclusions they want anyway -" my baby didn't do nuffin" and the news will run photos from years ago before they became a punk ass criminal

I'm not a cop , I don't always like what cops do , but I can empathize with challenges
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Many cops are in jail because of their own behavior, in front of their own dash mounted video cams.

View Quote

CSB
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#21]
After body cams they will want IMMEDIATE DEBRIEFINGS after incidents like this....no time to get your story STRAIGHT.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ahhh the good ole days lool
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm in favor of them.

Here are some considerations though. They are a good tool....but not ht eonly thing that needs to be considered when evaluating a  UOF situation.

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/body-cameras/articles/7580663-10-limitations-of-body-cams-you-need-to-know-for-your-protection/
View Quote

Lot of good points in there.  Two of our officers were fired for lying in a use of force report and one is being prosecuted for using his ECW on a man in a dark room at night.  The guy had been threatening family members with a knife, and after a lot of talking he suddenly shut up, turned off the lights, and began walking towards them.  One of them tazed him.  The Taser camera duly recorded that he had dropped the knife after turning out the lights, with its low light capability.  The fact that the officers couldn't see that meant nothing.

ETA:  The firing was because they reported that the guy advanced on them with the knife---which they thought to be the case.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't have a problem with them as a means to eliminate complaints. However, they require batteries and wires and electronics are generally a pain the the butt. They also can't see all angles or behind and over obstacles. I already have an in car camera with audio recorder and a small digital recorder. They all have their limitations. If you make a mistake, or push the wrong button under stress, or make any myriad of mistakes that might cause there to be a poor or non-existant recording, then you are put on the stand as either a liar or criminal, or both from prosecution and defense. In this age it is coming to where people expect these items, and if you forget to use them, don't have time to hit a button because of a major concern of safety, or some how mess it up, then you are at fault. And don't get me started on batteries. 10 hours is a long shift.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
[div style='text-align: left;']

Once the Defense discovers it, my experience has been exactly the opposite. "Ugh.... About that plea deal?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[div style='text-align: left;']
Quoted:

When you go to court everyone wants to see the video

My experience also.
"That evil mean ole cop maced my client and pulled his gun that innocent victim! Oh the noes!"

Um, go watch the video, the county attorney has it.

"Can we plead this down?"
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Eric Garner's arrest was recorded from the beginning.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Video and audio documentation helps keep EVERYONE honest.

I have zero reservations about LEO being required (or called to) to where cams.

Transparency and clarity is good mmkay?

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
gonna cost more for taxpayers
View Quote

In the short term, maybe.  I think it would be a net gain eventually.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#29]
There will be other messes with them, but sure they will record incidents here and there.  The policies around them will have to be very detailed and thorough.

What about when you are taking a burglary report?  Do you record going through a victim's house getting personal details about their valuables and security?

When you are looking at an ID, do you record all their info right there for everyone to see?

What about on serious assault or sexual assault cases?

What about when you are in an ambulance with a patient and they are telling you private medical info?

When you are eating dinner at a corner table with your beat partner?  And a kid comes up to talk to you?  And then his parents?  And now they want to tell you about crime at their house?  When is it considered citizen contact?

When you are going the restroom?

When you are doing blow with hookers in the front seat?

Who stores all the video?  How long?  How long for general video vs evidence?  Who are we going to hire to manage the video for court?  Will it be a command person($$$$$$$$)

Will it be full time job?(Around here it would be at LEAST one or two guys full time, likely sergeants or above, so there's $130K a year right there)

Who will edit videos for open record requests?  How much are they going to make an hour?

I mean, there are many scenarios that need to be addressed.  They can be a good tool, if money is no object.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, but you need the money to maintain the equipment.

When it breaks and it doesn't get fixed, is when shit happens.

Then everyone is stamping their feet about some cover up by the cops, when the truth is the politicians wouldn't give up the cash to maintain the equipment.

Of course they will be standing right next to Sharpton and the rest of the idiots crying about how mean the cops were and why isn't there a video to prove how innocent Johnny was brutalized by the cops.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Cameras are coming, and it's a great idea.  It will protect people on both sides of the badge.

We should be able to do a virtual ride along.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I have 29 months till I'm eligible to walk out the door and I'm thinking I am going to run out on that day and not hang around anymore.  This shit is getting out of hand.  In 10 years no one with any personal integrity and the desire to right wrong and put bad guys in jail is going to want this job.  It is going to be like politics.  Shady people will only get in the game for personal benefit.  

With that said, As a 13 year Sgt. I love our body cams.  We have been running body cams for a little over a year.  The footage and audio has been clear enough day and night to accomplish its mission.  However, I work for a smaller Dept.  We have the funds to outfit all of patrol.  Dept. policies and budgets are going to come under attack.  Getting cameras is not that big of a deal.  Storing video is.  We record all contacts.  Any case that gets paper, ie a report or traffic cite gets video held.  Non-paper contacts are currently retained for about a week then they are recorded over.  Hasn't been an issue yet because most folks who want to complain do it pretty quick. If the people are giving the officer a hard time and there is still no paper the guys are smart enough to hold the video anyway.

What I am waiting for is the National conversation for when a cam does not get activated or goes tits up and an officer with an otherwise clean record gets a label because he used force and his camera was broken or battery was dead.  

As a use of force and firearms instructor, I think half of the new cops are scared and are trained that it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.  They can not communicate clearly, can not think on their feet and I hate to say it, but they are quick to go to their gun.  The hiring standards and  training has been dumbed down too much.  

TL;DR - cams are good.  Low hiring standards and dumbed down training is bad. And at 25 years, I am OTD.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I appreciate what y'all do, I really do.  Seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't existence.

But you can thank the deviants from both sides of the line for that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Can you imagine the hassle of large departments dealing with request for footage from the media?

I bet that along would be full time jobs.

Second part,

I was a auto technician and I had to buy all my own tools.

As a cop, why would you not purchase your own body camera to cover your ass if you needed too?

I haven't looked to see how much they are.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Then everyone is stamping their feet about some cover up by the cops, when the truth is the politicians wouldn't give up the cash to maintain the equipment.
Of course they will be standing right next to Sharpton and the rest of the idiots crying about how mean the cops were and why isn't there a video to prove how innocent Johnny was brutalized by the cops.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That boils down to the LE agency and the citizens.

Encourage the citizens in your district that cams will provide a level of transparency above what there is now and get the citizens behind the initiative,  then they can in turn, tell the polls that is what they want with their tax dollars.

After all...they're the ones you stated that might say "why isn't there a video to prove how innocent Johnny was brutalized by the cops."

The way I see it, LEO have at least 2 responsibilities.

1- Enforce the law.

2- Become trusted members of the community by advocating & campaigning for resources which will allow you to perform your duties while respecting citizens and offering transparency of your conduct.

LEO have special powers that the normal Joe doesn't.

It really isn't too much to ask that they're operating within their ROP and upholding the Oath they took by utilizing resources such as this to prove that they're doing just that.

btw- another member stated some potential sticky situations in which a body cam might be used, and I agree, those might need to be taken into consideration.

edit for a little more clarity
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Can you imagine the hassle of large departments dealing with request for footage from the media?

I bet that along would be full time jobs.
Second part,

I was a auto technician and I had to buy all my own tools.

As a cop, why would you not purchase your own body camera to cover your ass if you needed too?

I haven't looked to see how much they are.
View Quote

Some cops DO buy their own Go Pros or digital recorders.  Sgts who've had to deal with b.s. EEOC complaints buy them also.

We have a sgt. do all the cruiser camera video requests.  I'm sure with body cam requests, he'd be over-run.  We'd probably farm it out to a light duty position.  Some video is NOT going to ever be released and that is going to make some of the usual suspects made.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#37]
When the dust settles, very few departments will actually go to body cameras; and many that do will abandon them in few years due to cost.

Mark my words.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When the dust settles, very few departments will actually go to body cameras; and many that do will abandon them in few years due to cost.

Mark my words.
View Quote

The impetus for wide-spread use of LE cams, if it comes, is going to come from the insurance carriers that cover departments.

One lawsuit would pay for a shitload of cameras.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Mark my words.
View Quote

Nope, times are changing.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark my words.

Some things never change.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Mark my words.
View Quote

Yep.

Each camera is about $1,000.

Charging/downlaod station about $3,000

Yearly Evidence.com subscription (cloud storage) $10,000

Batteries/Storage media on belt $500

Lots of other incidentals.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Encourage the citizens in your district that cams will provide a level of transparency above what there is now and get the citizens behind the initiative,  then they can in turn, tell the polls that is what they want with their tax dollars.

After all...they're the ones you stated that might say "why isn't there a video to prove how innocent Johnny was brutalized by the cops."

1- Enforce the law.

2- Become trusted members of the community by advocating & campaigning for resources which will allow you to perform your duties while respecting citizens and offering transparency of your conduct.

It really isn't too much to ask that they're operating within their ROP and upholding the Oath they took by utilizing resources such as this to prove that they're doing just that.

btw- another member stated some potential sticky situations in which a body cam might be used, and I agree, those might need to be taken into consideration.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1- Enforce the law.

We haven''t hired a cop in 8 years.

Haven't bought a new car since '08.

I haven't got a raise in 8 years.

Every year the city wants to cut the police budget.

Where does the money come from to buy and maintain this extra equipment?

We complain for the tools to do our job better all the time. It falls on deaf ears who would better spend the money on a train or garbage cans.

I'm sure we will get a grant for body cams, and things will be great for a year until they don't work.

Then something bad will happen and the community will get all up in arms. Lots of finger pointing with no solution and more idiotic demonstrations like we have going on now.

Hell people can't even agree on the Garner case and there is video and audio.

(I think his death is his own fault and all he had to do was submit to being arrested and get his day in court.)

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't care either way. Would wear whatever they want.  Wouldn't change a thing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

I guess you should have policed your own better.  Cameras are the cause of police not being believed because video evidence came out showing the police officers lied and filed false reports.  Then you have the issue which I still have not seen addressed.  In many of those cases the officer that lies, plants evidence, uses excessive force has 3 to 6 other officers watching.  None of them mention in their report what they saw the "one bad apple" doing.  In my book that makes them all guilty of doing the same thing.  Yet nothing happens to those officers who let the "one bad apple" do what he did.  In general LEO's put fellow officers above the truth.  Now they are starting to pay for that.

A study done on body camera usage shows that officer complaints dropped 88% and officers use of force dropped 66%.  That suggests that the public in general does not trust the police, for the above reason, and officers are heavy handed if something doesn't keep them in check.  

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#45]
In certain states any body or dashcam footage is considered to be public knowledge, so if your wearing one while talking to a rape victim, a possible child molestation victim, etc they are one freedom of information act request away from going viral on Youtube.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

And in other cases it would be clear evidence to keep them out of jail.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark my words.

Yep.

Why does a body cam cost $1000?

They aren't other options which cost less?

I know for fact that hard drives/SS drives can be had for not much nowadays, and to setup a redundant or RAID type system is not that difficult.

As for charging & download....that's a $5 usb cable and a computer (which pretty much every department has already).

I believe they will cost something obviously,  but the costs are greatly exaggerated and inflated to the extreme end.

I'm certain that more reasonable, cost efficient options can be extrapolated out of the equation.

my .02c
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We complain for the tools to do our job better all the time. It falls on deaf ears who would better spend the money on a train or garbage cans.
I'm sure we will get a grant for body cams, and things will be great for a year until they don't work.
Then something bad will happen and the community will get all up in arms. Lots of finger pointing with no solution and more idiotic demonstrations like we have going on now.

(I think his death is his own fault and all he had to do was submit to being arrested and get his day in court.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1- Enforce the law.

You sir sound like you work at ARFCOM's dream police dept.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#49]
How about politicians wearing them, daycare workers, car salesman, better yet how about all convicted felons. I will wear one if ordered to but " any man willing to sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither" My testimony should stand on it's own, no more no less than anyone else's.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely

I don't want to see an innocent citizen get JBT'd by a POS LEO, just as I don't want an ignorant mob going after a LEO for doing his job and acting appropriately.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top