Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2014 8:26:21 PM EDT
Wondering if anyone knows what might cause an issue I'm having on occasion.

Background: Mid-40s and always had great eyesight until about a year ago I started to hold things I was reading further away and now I need reading glasses to read anything up close.

Now tonight and probably once every few weeks my eyes go nuts for a while. I can see but I get these squiggly prism like lines in my vision, very annoying. Usually goes away after an hour or so. The wife says she gets it due to her high blood pressure but I know that's probably not the case since mine has always been on the very low end.

Guess I'll see a doc soon but was wondering if anyone was familiar with this.

Funny, just as I typed that last sentence it went away, weird.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
How many hours a night do you sleep on a regular basis?

Early 40`s timeframe, magnifiers were essential. Older than that now.

Pride kept me from getting them.

Something someone said to me at one time, if you see a bunch of stars showing up in your vision, could be a detached retina.

Never have had that problem yet.

I have seen objects go to double vision in one eye before. And no. I wasn`t drinking.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

5-6 normally, 7 if I'm lucky
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
That sounds familiar.

Doing good anymore if I can get in 3.5 to 4.

I hate getting older.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag

I have the same thing happen to me.  Sorry you have it too, but I thought I was stroking out or something.  Had a recent physical and vision test and all is well.  I didn't know how to describe it to my doctor, but your description is right on.

Mine start out small and slowly expand until after about an hour they are gone.  Very annoying.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tag

I have the same thing happen to me.  Sorry you have it too, but I thought I was stroking out or something.  Had a recent physical and vision test and all is well.  I didn't know how to describe it to my doctor, but your description is right on.

Mine start out small and slowly expand until after about an hour they are gone.  Very annoying.

View Quote

Exactly.

Starts out with one little squiggly, then boom it's a party in there.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Early 40`s timeframe, magnifiers were essential. Older than that now.

Pride kept me from getting them.

View Quote

Getting old does indeed suck.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone else?

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Suffer from headaches?

I too had seen the squiggly light worms in my vision then got followed up with headaches. At one point they got so severe that I got  hemiplagic attacks. left side of body went numb for a while. I freaked because we thought it was a heart attack or something but it wasn't
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The occasional light shows, as I age, have been an amusing benefit.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]

That may be. I've learned to stay away from webmd, every time I would go read about some symptoms I was having it always turned out I had ebolaids or something bad and would be dead in a week.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Suffer from headaches?

I too had seen the squiggly light worms in my vision then got followed up with headaches. At one point they got so severe that I got  hemiplagic attacks. left side of body went numb for a while. I freaked because we thought it was a heart attack or something but it wasn't
View Quote

Shit, numbness.

Yeah that would freak me out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The occasional light shows, as I age, have been an amusing benefit.  
View Quote

Lol, not quite the light shows I remember of my youth.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Getting older sucks. Normal aging for the majority of us.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I haven't experienced anything similar to your "squiggly prism like lines" but one day I could read the year on a penny, the next day I couldn't read a book with large print for older readers.  Ok so not literally over night, but when I was in my late 40's, my close vision went to shit in less than 1 year.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#16]

I read your link, but my problem affects both eyes at the same time, in the same place and they both recover at the same rate.  Mystery to me, hope somebody has the answer.  GD has to have some eye docs on board.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wondering if anyone knows what might cause an issue I'm having on occasion.

Background: Mid-40s and always had great eyesight until about a year ago I started to hold things I was reading further away and now I need reading glasses to read anything up close.

Now tonight and probably once every few weeks my eyes go nuts for a while. I can see but I get these squiggly prism like lines in my vision, very annoying. Usually goes away after an hour or so. The wife says she gets it due to her high blood pressure but I know that's probably not the case since mine has always been on the very low end.

Guess I'll see a doc soon but was wondering if anyone was familiar with this.

Funny, just as I typed that last sentence it went away, weird.
View Quote

This may be a type of migraine. I believe it's called a castellated or castellations migraine. Fairly benign. For many people it involves no headache. Castellated comes from the design of some old forts like this:
star fort

If it's a problem they have a drug for it. See your ophthalmologist.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, getting old sucks...

... But it beats the alternative.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#19]
This link pretty much describes what I have been seeing:

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/130/6/1690

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:21:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This may be a type of migraine. I believe it's called a castellated or castellations migraine. Fairly benign. For many people it involves no headache. Castellated comes from the design of some old forts like this:
star fort

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

star fort

I'll be damned, that's gotta be it.

Occasionally will also get a headache but not every time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:32:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That sounds familiar.

Doing good anymore if I can get in 3.5 to 4.

I hate getting older.

View Quote

LOL. I have those cheap Drugmart reading glasses around here everywhere. It gets worse with some folk. sucks gettin old
I'm 56 now body busted up,ect,ect.......these bi-focals suck.......depend diapers are next I guess. still I'm not on any script drugs. I have friends with 7-9 heart stints in them on 6 meds.

I hope it comes hard and fast for me when I meet my maker
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:52:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah, getting old sucks...

... But it beats the alternative.  
View Quote

I'm not sure on that hopefully as.
Fred Sanford always said............I'M HAVIN THE BIG ONE!......I've seen guy's at work pass. dead on the shower room floor, dead on the job, dead on a shitter stahl..

Fast and hard is good with me........... not an old folk home
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:42:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Arrrrgh, I'm having one of those eye attacks right now.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I was driving to a local place for lunch one day when I started seeing lights in my eyes.  I got to the restaurant, it was rather dark inside.  It got so bad I could hardly see.  Scared the crap outta me.  It finally went away on its own.  Classic scintillation scotoma, I guess, ultimately led to migraine headaches.  This was twenty some odd years ago.  I got horrible migraines for a few years, then they just... stopped.  I was under a lot of stress at work at the time.  The source of the stress went away (boss from hell got fired), and the headaches stopped.  I developed a blinding headache a few weeks ago, was sensitive to light and sound, and felt awful; it lasted a couple of days.  Migraine coming back?  I haven't felt stressed, though I had been working long hours for some time.  I sure hope they don't come back, I need that like a hole in the head, no pun intended.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:32:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was driving to a local place for lunch one day when I started seeing lights in my eyes.  I got to the restaurant, it was rather dark inside.  It got so bad I could hardly see.  Scared the crap outta me.  It finally went away on its own.  Classic scintillation scotoma, I guess, ultimately led to migraine headaches.  This was twenty some odd years ago.  I got horrible migraines for a few years, then they just... stopped.  I was under a lot of stress at work at the time.  The source of the stress went away (boss from hell got fired), and the headaches stopped.  I developed a blinding headache a few weeks ago, was sensitive to light and sound, and felt awful; it lasted a couple of days.  Migraine coming back?  I haven't felt stressed, though I had been working long hours for some time.  I sure hope they don't come back, I need that like a hole in the head, no pun intended.
View Quote

Try to figure out the trigger.     Same goes for you guys with the optical migranes.     You did something different.  Stress, lack of sleep, diet....something.

For me it was drinking a bottle of red wine, or eating a large bag of MM's.   Dehydration and MSG too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top