Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are making up a sling for field use, I strongly advise using an ITW MASH hook instead of the OEM H+K hook.  The MASH is easy to put on/off, and will not self-detach, as will the H+K.  With either hook, get some elastic type of material and wrap it around the hook, then sew the seam.  Remove, turn inside-out, and re-install over the hook.  This will prevent rattles, and also the scarring of your stock/metal from the hook.

BTW, I'd be obliged if anyone knowing of where I might buy a wooden handguard for the FR-8 would IM me with info.
View Quote

I could have sworn I saw handguards for sale from one of the parts vendors a few days ago while looking for something else FR-8 related, but a cursory look on google only brings up buymilsurp,com, which shows them as being out of stock.  If I can remember where I saw them I'll let you know.  Like the ones on the latter site, these were semi-finished.

Good advice on the hook.  I had heard someone mention an alternative but I could not recall what it was or where I had heard of it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I got it!

Looks pretty good.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk144/Arthur71/DSCN1006_zps0b485d7f.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk144/Arthur71/DSCN1007_zps4e25cad0.jpg

I paid $250 and it came with the bayonet.

He also has a 6.5 Mauser I should have grabbed for another $100.

Sorry for the crappy pics.- Art
View Quote

You need to go back and score that Mauser in 6.5.  If unmolested, even crappy examples have been seen at shows for $400.  I remember when they were $80, most I ever paid was $125 which shows you how much surplus rises when they dry up.  Nice score on your FR-8.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I never use the V notch and go straight to the peep.  You may be a little high at closer ranges but still ok. I could just never warm up up the V.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The only time I saw one, it cost almost what I paid for the rifle.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...There is a spanner wrench designed to fit through the hole in the front sight hood...

You can make one for a few dollars.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:40:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...There is a spanner wrench designed to fit through the hole in the front sight hood...

Why bother when, like I said earlier, you can buy them for about $15?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your choice - $15 is not bad, it is just the satisfaction of doing it yourself and making it from a $1 screwdriver from Harbor Freight.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:01:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Your choice - $15 is not bad, it is just the satisfaction of doing it yourself and making it from a $1 screwdriver from Harbor Freight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy who used to run the surplus rifles site made one IIRC.  Personally, I like having as complete of an accessory set for my C&R rifles as I can get.  The tool can also fit in the storage tube.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:14:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We'll see how it shoots tomorrow. The bore looks good. I was playing with it a while ago and realized I grabbed the wrong bayo today. I think I got the one for the Carl Gustoff Mauser instead. I will have to hit him up next week. Where can I find a sling for this thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice.  $250 is a great deal these days (you used to be able to get them at Big 5 for half that price during the first few years after relatively large numbers were imported, albeit sans bayonet).  I'm paying $325 for mine, not including shipping and various State and dealer fees.  It's only coming with the sling, though.  Hopefully yours shoots well, too.

We'll see how it shoots tomorrow. The bore looks good. I was playing with it a while ago and realized I grabbed the wrong bayo today. I think I got the one for the Carl Gustoff Mauser instead. I will have to hit him up next week. Where can I find a sling for this thing?

Were you able to try it out?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]
btt
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:28:44 AM EDT
[#12]
raf, I don't know if you're willing to deal with Spaniards or not, or whether or not they'll ship to the U.S., but these guys have complete FR-8 stock sets, handguards included:

http://www.militaria.es/Base/Tenda.php?ref=15&num=100&sc=N
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Also, I finally found pictures of people trying to use the TRC bipod with the FR-8, although one case involves clamping it in the wrong place (curious how stable it is there) and the other shows it clamped in the correct position, but with the bayonet lug in place (hard to tell how much it would interfere with its usage, although clearly it does completely prevent any effort to clamp it on).

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice.  $250 is a great deal these days (you used to be able to get them at Big 5 for half that price during the first few years after relatively large numbers were imported, albeit sans bayonet).  I'm paying $325 for mine, not including shipping and various State and dealer fees.  It's only coming with the sling, though.  Hopefully yours shoots well, too.

Not yet, had to go down to Phoenix for a couple days.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IIRC, there was at least one vendor who sold the caps for the cleaning tube with bayonet lugs milled off.

Since the Spanish bipod was never intended for use on the FR-8, perhaps substituting an old-style clamp-on m-16 bipod would serve your purposes. http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/ar15m16bipodwodgreennylonpouch.aspx
View Quote

I recall seeing those caps being sold for use with the CETME to make them ban compliant.  While I have not inspected a CETME in-person, the manual for the CETME states that the CETME cap uses two spring-loaded lugs to keep it in place in the triple frame, while that of the FR-8 only uses a single lug, and the orientations are different.  But all one really has to do is remove the cap and tube to resolve any conflict.

The TRC bipod may not have been meant to be used with the FR-8, it can be used with it because it is designed to clamp onto the secondary rifle grenade spigot that constitutes the forward part of the barrel sleeve to which serves to aid in the mounting of the triple frame to the barrel, which is where it is clamped in the second photograph in my previous post.  I'm eventually going to get the bipod, as Numrich sells them (unfortunately, without the carrying case), but I just was hoping to see if anyone had gotten around to trying it out and maybe taking pictures of the results.  After I get my bipod and FR-8 in the next few weeks I'll certainly be trying it out for myself.

Also, I'm not sure the M-16 clamp-on bipod is compatible with the diameters of the CETME barrel or the cleaning kit storage tube.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#17]
btt
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#18]
It's like and old school co witness or 1/3 co witness debate
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:12:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's possible that  if the M-16 bipod is a little tight that a little, careful, work with a Dremel  work on the barrel mounting surfaces of the M-16 bipod would solve the problem.  Truth be told, I've never seen a significant difference between my shooting prone, and shooting with a bipod.  Now, it may be that I was taught well, and some others were not so advantaged.  Still, my, possibly imperfect understanding is that a bipod is mainly used to reduce the vertical dispersion of bullets in the beaten zone, when firing full-auto weapons.  Bipods, to a Rifleman, are an encumbrance, and useless weight.

As far as an ideal sling, from a shooter's point of view, then the OEM sling only a carrying aid, and not a shooting aid.  Initial thoughats are that the stock is stout enough, and the barrel short enough to allow at least a light shooting sling,  Ill need to investigate further about slings.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC, there was at least one vendor who sold the caps for the cleaning tube with bayonet lugs milled off.

Since the Spanish bipod was never intended for use on the FR-8, perhaps substituting an old-style clamp-on m-16 bipod would serve your purposes. http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/ar15m16bipodwodgreennylonpouch.aspx

I recall seeing those caps being sold for use with the CETME to make them ban compliant.  While I have not inspected a CETME in-person, the manual for the CETME states that the CETME cap uses two spring-loaded lugs to keep it in place in the triple frame, while that of the FR-8 only uses a single lug, and the orientations are different.  But all one really has to do is remove the cap and tube to resolve any conflict.

The TRC bipod may not have been meant to be used with the FR-8, it can be used with it because it is designed to clamp onto the secondary rifle grenade spigot that constitutes the forward part of the barrel sleeve to which serves to aid in the mounting of the triple frame to the barrel, which is where it is clamped in the second photograph in my previous post.  I'm eventually going to get the bipod, as Numrich sells them (unfortunately, without the carrying case), but I just was hoping to see if anyone had gotten around to trying it out and maybe taking pictures of the results.  After I get my bipod and FR-8 in the next few weeks I'll certainly be trying it out for myself.

Also, I'm not sure the M-16 clamp-on bipod is compatible with the diameters of the CETME barrel or the cleaning kit storage tube.

It's possible that  if the M-16 bipod is a little tight that a little, careful, work with a Dremel  work on the barrel mounting surfaces of the M-16 bipod would solve the problem.  Truth be told, I've never seen a significant difference between my shooting prone, and shooting with a bipod.  Now, it may be that I was taught well, and some others were not so advantaged.  Still, my, possibly imperfect understanding is that a bipod is mainly used to reduce the vertical dispersion of bullets in the beaten zone, when firing full-auto weapons.  Bipods, to a Rifleman, are an encumbrance, and useless weight.

As far as an ideal sling, from a shooter's point of view, then the OEM sling only a carrying aid, and not a shooting aid.  Initial thoughats are that the stock is stout enough, and the barrel short enough to allow at least a light shooting sling,  Ill need to investigate further about slings.  

The issue sling definitely does not strike me as one suitable for use as a shooting aid, but the manual does call for its use as such and states how to do it.  My main concern with such usage is how it attaches on the front end.  The ring is riveted to both a sleeve attached to the barrel and the front sight base (which is attached to said sleeve), thus allowing tension to be placed on the barrel through those parts.  I know the use of a shooting sling without a special arrangement is folly on the FAL< for example, because the swivel is attached to the barrel and the tension on the barrel will shift POI.  The FR-8/CETME barrel is shorter and stiffer than the standard FAL barrel so I'm curious to know if that will alleviate the problem sufficiently.  The only example I could find of someone trying to use their sling as a shooting aid was doing it wrong (he was looping up and shooting from the standing position; to use a loop sling the supporting elbow must be resting on something solid, like the leg or the ground); naturally, that shifted his POI considerably.  I was personally thinking of trying one of the speed loop slings derived from the Ching sling which only uses two attachment points (conventional front and rear attachment).

Regarding bipods, the point is not to have a bipod, but rather a complete set of compatible CETME accessories for the FR-8 and see what I can do with it.  Otherwise I don't really want or need a bipod, although I would argue it is not entirely useless.  Cooper, for example, does describe some utility for the bipod in The Art of the Rifle, such as, IIRC, providing added stability in certain conditions where other positions may be less adequate or impractical, or providing a stable platform for verifying zero in the field.  The TRC bipod is rather heavy and bulky, it appears, but it also wasn't meant to be carried on the rifle, but rather, on the belt in a case (shown in one of the pictures I posted above), unlike the assault bipod originally issued with the CETME Model B (which attaches behind the front sight base rather than in front of it), which can't really be stowed on an FR-8.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Try over on militaryfirearm.com, that's where all the guys from cetmerifles.com ended up, tons of info on them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Try over on militaryfirearm.com, that's where all the guys from cetmerifles.com ended up, tons of info on them.
View Quote

It's too bad that forum search engines won't let you search for terms like FR8 or FR-8.  I have been able to find some interesting stuff on there nevertheless, although not yet about the subjects of this thread.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:27:18 AM EDT
[#23]
btt
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#24]
So, new question.  Got my FR-8 a few days ago and the bolt is very sloppy when retracted most of the way rearwards.  There's a lot of play, and there is enough side to side motion to cause it to bind when pushing it forward at times.  What is acceptable in this regard with Mauser rifles?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine is the same. It has more play than my Argentine Mauser.
It seems to shoot fine. Make sure you don't baby the bolt when running it and you should be fine.
I also shot mine some more the other day with Tula .308. I had 2 case head separations.
I have had zero issue with brass 7.62 NATO ammo.
Mine shoots good enough that I will most likely keep it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:38:06 AM EDT
[#26]
It just struck me as odd, as the last two I've handled were not nearly that sloppy, although they certainly weren't tight, either.  There's no play when the bolt's closed, which I suppose is the more important part.  The funny thing is that the rest of the parts of the rifle are unusually tight.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, did you ever complete your English language version of the manual?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP, did you ever complete your English language version of the manual?
View Quote

Still working on it.  It's pretty time consuming and I've been rather short on time the last few weeks.  There's somewhere in excess of 80 pages of Spanish text to be translated, IIRC.  I'm about halfway through it, but still need to go back and clean up the language from a purely literal translation to something that flows more smoothly and aligns better with actual English usage, especially with regard to technical terms, which can translate literally into something that sounds very different from the English term.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top