BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The vise is for barrel installation/removal.

The reaction rod is for muzzle device installation/removal.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Exactly!

I will bet he has done thousands or tens of thousands of these, and he has more experience with this  than every other poster in this thread combined.

That is one of th problems with the internet-  we all claim to be experts, and drown out the voice on the one person who truly is one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the reaction rod at work. I actually ordered 5 of them to teach our AR build class with and the students love them.

Plus Geissele is local so it gave me an excuse to go say hello.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I did the research and decided to use a reaction rod.  Worked fine on the first barrel, shear off a barrel pin on the second.

I now use it for muzzle brakes only - and a vice to mount the barrel.

---

fwiw I used the correctly spec'ed grease and was around 40lbs of torque when the pin sheared.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

what that guy said..
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#6]

You might need a second upper receiver.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I have always used a barrel vice, or Oak V blocks in the vice jaws, for brake installs.
The chance of buggering things is zero.

Receiver blocks keep the barrel index pin floating, when tightening the barrel nut.

I have torn down more than a couple Bubba builds, and many "Lesser" factory AR's, that the index pin had swaged into the upper notch.
Granted, some doofus had to have been reefing on the things with the barrel in a vice, and buggered threads involved, but some take a little more reffing than others.

Why fight it. The clamshell wins IMO.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#8]
FWIW I use the vice method.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I have both a clam shell and a Geissele reaction rod. Recently I assembled an upper using a VLTOR upper and a LMT A2 10 inch barrel. The VLTOR upper doesn't fit in the clam shell, so I contacted VLTOR and asked them what they recommend. VLTOR said they recommend the reaction rod to assemble. I used the reaction rod and it torqued to about 32 ft. lbs to line up the gas tube with the barrel nut. IMO 32 ft. lbs is too little torque, so I continued to the next barrel nut notch. After loosening and tightening the nut several times with plenty of grease on the threads, I ended up at 88lbs to line up the notch with the gas tube. If my index pin didn't shear off at 88lbs, I don't see how a index pin could shear off at 40 ft. lbs unless the index pin is crap quality.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you're installing one of those key mod or other style hand guards, use the vise. You start torquing on that nut using a reaction, it's possible you could spin the receiver, shearing the bbl ext pin.
View Quote
BTDT. I wasn't sure what had happened since I was well under the torque limits. I explained it to BCM and they sent me a new barrel

Now I know what NOT to do...

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Right, i know that. Ive only used clam shell blocks though, and they always end up, somehow, bending those "lugs". I can tell because before i do any torquing, they're tight fits into my lowers. After, theyre sloppy and loose by a good 1-2mm. Basically, plastic clam shell blocks fucking suck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ive always managed to bend the lugs slightly on uppers using vice blocks. Tried two so far, different brands. Only torquing to 35-40lbs.

What lugs?

Holes where the takedown pins go on the upper.

That style of vise block is not to be used for barrel installs because it places all the load on the lugs and bends or breaks them.  Use the clamshell style that clamps over the entire upper to do barrel installs.

The lug type block is really only usefull for holding the upper still while installing the ejection port door and maybe forward assist or installing optics.

Right, i know that. Ive only used clam shell blocks though, and they always end up, somehow, bending those "lugs". I can tell because before i do any torquing, they're tight fits into my lowers. After, theyre sloppy and loose by a good 1-2mm. Basically, plastic clam shell blocks fucking suck.

Maybe a poorly fitting clamshell? I'd contact the manufacturer and ask them what possibly could be causing the lugs to bend.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Which one's less expensive?

«tc2k11»
View Quote

99¢ DIY receiver blocks
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#14]

If you slip a walmart sack or something similar over the receiver, it mostly eliminates the slight shine marks you may get on the upper's finish.

Just something I always do, which is relevant to the topic.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I had good luck with this:

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#16]
My old roommate and I used to put the receiver on the last stair and stand on it while the other person torqued the barrel nut on. Built like 4 or 5 uppers that way before getting a vise
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I used receiver blocks for my last two builds. Seemed to work out OK. Barrel nuts seem to like between 30 and 40ft lbs or torque. That's really not that much, just a decent grunts worth. If you have a vice the receiver blocks should be fine. Just my two cents.
View Quote

Ditto

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My old roommate and I used to put the receiver on the last stair and stand on it while the other person torqued the barrel nut on. Built like 4 or 5 uppers that way before getting a vise
View Quote

Whatever works.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]
take a moment to do a visual check inside the barrel nut and the barrel extension where the two squeeze up against each other during assembly. it they are nice and smooth lube them up and get it on.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#20]

The rod works just fine for the installation of barrels and muzzle devices.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#22]

I've always used a vise and I've never had any issues.

YMMV

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Please go on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The vice is for barrel installation/removal.

Please go on.

Also for muzzle device installation, Barrel vice blocks.

Also, much cheaper then reaction rods.

For the home builder, you really don't need a whole lot of specialized tools.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Anyone using the BEV block for barrel installs? Looks like it would work well, if a little pricey.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Anyone using the BEV block for barrel installs? Looks like it would work well, if a little pricey.

http://cdn.magpul.com/images/uploads/268_1409_large.jpg
View Quote

Looks like it well have the same issue as the reaction rod
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The lower part and pin should keep the receiver from twisting though, right? I need to check out a review of one.

I'll just keep using a clamshell, but that block did look interesting, as does that plastixrevolution one posted earlier.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From Geissele's website pertaining to the "Reaction Rod":

Description: The removal and installation of barrels, flash hiders, gas blocks and hand guards is made much easier and simpler. The Reaction Rod is designed to be gripped in a bench vise so that the rod is either horizontal or vertical.

ETA: I just read the post linked on page one and understand now. Guess I got lucky with my last build.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You might need a second upper receiver.

View All Quotes

This.

Don't use one of these for installing a barrel nut.

You're lucky if you just break your block. If you're unlucky, your destroy your upper receiver.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The lower part and pin should keep the receiver from twisting though, right? I need to check out a review of one.
I'll just keep using a clamshell, but that block did look interesting, as does that plastixrevolution one posted earlier.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just put together an upper with it. Worked pretty well. Uses their own front takedown pin to keep the lug mated to the barrel. Haven't shot it yet... so
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I fucked up a barrel and upper receiver trying to take apart an assembled upper use the reaction rod.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Whatever works.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever works.

That reminds me of torquing some very large nuts. They exceeded my tq wrench capacity by a large amount. I calculated the torque based on my weight & where I needed to stand on the cheater bar. I walked from the center of the bar to the calculated spot and achieved desired torque when my weight arrived at that spot on the moment arm.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That reminds me of torquing some very large nuts. They exceeded my tq wrench capacity by a large amount. I calculated the torque based on my weight & where I needed to stand on the cheater bar. I walked from the center of the bar to the calculated spot and achieved desired torque when my weight arrived at that spot on the moment arm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever works.

wow
kinda guy that likes to turn wrenchs over a few 12 packs with the guys?

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Call me crazy, but last time I put a barrel in an upper I just used a couple of c-clamps on the side of a wooden table.

no issues.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

wow

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever works.

wow

I prefer to say that it was practically applying the physics they taught me in book learnin' college boy school.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wish they'd have put a torque bar on top of that one to emulate the "MOAF" that I linked to.  Should have been easy with the design of that device vs the rod type ones.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.

You're lucky if you just break your block. If you're unlucky, your destroy your upper receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.

I must be doing it wrong, then, because I've replaced several barrels for folks, built several uppers for myself and the kids, used it when installing ff tubes and muzzle devices, and I've never had an issue with my dpms block. I've probably had the thing for 7 or 8 years now.  

Are you guys who have broken something with these used the proper barrel nut lube when installing the barrel nut? (I've still got probably 1/2 of the Bushmaster assembly lube bottle I bought almost a decade ago because you use so little on a barrel) I've had to torque a couple barrel nuts REALLY tight while using the block and never had an issue. It might break tomorrow, but it's worked well until now anyway.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I use soft plastic blocks in a vice, clamped to the barrel, for flash hiders. I've had no issues getting anything timed right using crush washers. I paid less than $10 at Lowes and there is a groove in it that works fine with barrels. For barrel nuts, a plain old receiver clamp lined with tape (to prevent any marks) has worked flawlessly about 4 times so far.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s137.photobucket.com/user/machinegun74/media/IMG_0047.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q217/machinegun74/IMG_0047.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please go on.

<a href="http://s137.photobucket.com/user/machinegun74/media/IMG_0047.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q217/machinegun74/IMG_0047.jpg</a>

Yep, barrel vice blocks are the way to go. Just like in the manual.

I made mine from a block of solid PVC I had laying around. I just bored a hole in the block and then split it with a band-saw.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is our experience: If an index pin shears - its a cheap pin or pin installation problem (big hole, pin at an angle, misdrilled hole).  We use the Reaction Rod on all our builds and all our torque testing of barrel nuts.  We have tried to torque to failure the Geissele barrel nuts and have gone to 150 ft*lbs.  This is me hanging on a cheater bar like a monkey and two guys sitting on the bench so it doesn't flip over.  No shearing of pins.  And we have done this lots of times.

I believe that more force is put into the front torque surface of the barrel extension than the threads, therefore the Reaction Rod put LESS torque on the index pin.

THAT BEING SAID - I hear everyone and have heard everyone who disagrees and we have developed a super duper Reaction Rod that puts all these issues to rest.  If you so desire you can install a barrel to an upper with no index pin and it will install and stay lined up perfectly.

And you can still use the indexing feature of the Reaction Rod to hold your upper so you can work on sights, gas blocks, muzzle devices, etc.

I have these made, just need to write instructions because the use of this Super Reaction Rod is not brainless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have both a clam shell and a Geissele reaction rod. Recently I assembled an upper using a VLTOR upper and a LMT A2 10 inch barrel. The VLTOR upper doesn't fit in the clam shell, so I contacted VLTOR and asked them what they recommend. VLTOR said they recommend the reaction rod to assemble. I used the reaction rod and it torqued to about 32 ft. lbs to line up the gas tube with the barrel nut. IMO 32 ft. lbs is too little torque, so I continued to the next barrel nut notch. After loosening and tightening the nut several times with plenty of grease on the threads, I ended up at 88lbs to line up the notch with the gas tube. If my index pin didn't shear off at 88lbs, I don't see how a index pin could shear off at 40 ft. lbs unless the index pin is crap quality.

This is our experience: If an index pin shears - its a cheap pin or pin installation problem (big hole, pin at an angle, misdrilled hole).  We use the Reaction Rod on all our builds and all our torque testing of barrel nuts.  We have tried to torque to failure the Geissele barrel nuts and have gone to 150 ft*lbs.  This is me hanging on a cheater bar like a monkey and two guys sitting on the bench so it doesn't flip over.  No shearing of pins.  And we have done this lots of times.

I believe that more force is put into the front torque surface of the barrel extension than the threads, therefore the Reaction Rod put LESS torque on the index pin.

THAT BEING SAID - I hear everyone and have heard everyone who disagrees and we have developed a super duper Reaction Rod that puts all these issues to rest.  If you so desire you can install a barrel to an upper with no index pin and it will install and stay lined up perfectly.

And you can still use the indexing feature of the Reaction Rod to hold your upper so you can work on sights, gas blocks, muzzle devices, etc.

I have these made, just need to write instructions because the use of this Super Reaction Rod is not brainless.

Will you take trade ins for the old style rod? I used it one time, never used it again. Someone linked to my problem on the first page. Trashed the upper and couldn't fix the brand new barrel.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please go on.

I'll help.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/633558_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/661208_Just_broke_an_indexing_pin.html

Mine is the first link.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#45]
rod looks like you could bend something.  been using a vice myself for years
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Can't wait to see this new tool!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Número uno is the method I use
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#50]
I use the clamshell holder.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top