Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Everything you need is on the interwweb!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Masturbation is free, and can be done indoors or out. It is a hobby you will never tire of.

Everything you need is on the interwweb!

OP must have missed "The Fappening, Parts I, II, and III".

Anyway, become a blogger.  Start threads, respond on threads, get angry at other bloggers because they're douches, post responses that violate COC, get banned, reset and start over.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I just started lifting weights again, haven't done it since I was in the military 10 years ago.  That and started eating right also.  I recently quit bad habits too.  

Between buying a few supplements and eating good foods, its not exactly cheap, but I can't think of a better thing to spend money on than things that make you healthy.  My mindset overall is much better too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weights dude. You'll be making progress, learning new things about yourself and what you're capable of, instill self-disciplines. You can go in to train after a shitty day with a foul mood and leave feeling on top of the world. I use that time to meditate and clear my head.

I was going to say CrossFit, and/or olympic weightlifting.  It will consume you and it will be worth it.

I just started lifting weights again, haven't done it since I was in the military 10 years ago.  That and started eating right also.  I recently quit bad habits too.  

Between buying a few supplements and eating good foods, its not exactly cheap, but I can't think of a better thing to spend money on than things that make you healthy.  My mindset overall is much better too

That crossed my mind, but he said huge outlay of cash to get started.  Yes, now my ammo fort has stopped growing, and haven't acquired any new guns lately.  But, it's been worth it to be healthy and fit.  At the end of the day, an investment in your actual physical self is priceless, IMO, as opposed to some other hobby where you are just acquiring stuff, or doing stuff.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Poker. Find a good home game or see if there are any bar leagues in your area.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Ham Radio.

Price for a handheld radio down to less than $35 now.  

You can take exams for around $15.

$50 bucks total and you're a ham operator.    

Info
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Raise Emus.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Yoga! With hot women.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ham Radio.

Price for a handheld radio down to less than $35 now.  

You can take exams for around $15.

$50 bucks total and you're a ham operator.    

Info
View Quote

That has possibilities.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I was going to recommend airguns also but someone already beat me to it. A good airgun is relatively cheap to shoot and can usually be shot either indoors or in very limited space outdoors.

Another great hobby is music. My favorite instrument is guitar and I've been playing guitar for over 30 years now. Always something to learn and once you do the initial investment of a guitar... only ongoing expense is picks which are dirt cheap and strings which are modest cost of $2-$4/set and need to be changed every couple months if you play regularly.

Photography is another great hobby. Digital cameras make it practically free once you get the camera and you can specialize on whatever interests you from wildlife to landscapes to industrial to just about anything you can imagine.

I do all three of those hobbies and enjoy them all. I have one more hobby but would never suggest it to anyone as it drains all your money and is addictive just like crack. I both love and hate it so won't speak it for risk of getting someone else hooked.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#10]
So far on the list I have

1. Models
2. Musical Instrument
3. Ham Radio

Reading is something that I already do, but will likely do some more of.

Working out will likely happen, just not right away.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Guitar or Piano... Nothing more satisfying than creating music
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#13]
bicycling

boomeranging-leather jacket, boomarangs in bandolier and aviators. Carry a water bottle attached to your bet. Black leather boots.

photography.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Another recommendation for ham radio. We even have a forum for it on ArfCom: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_10/22_Ham_Radios.html

CAUTION: It can be habit forming! I got hooked on it 60 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Fencing.. good work out and doing something really fun..
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

1. Models
2. Musical Instrument
3. Ham Radio

View Quote

What county are you in ?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Do something that is cheap.  I don't know your money situation but mine has been impacted for sure while looking for work for the past few months.

Here's what I have been doing:

Running (it is free, and doesn't require a gym membership)  1-2 miles you don't even have to go crazy with it.  I'd bicycle if I were in warmer weather and again had expendable income.

Video games - get old emulators and roms and play Playstation 2 or Playstation 1 or Nintendo 64 based games on your computer for pretty much free.  There's a lot of great older classics with great storylines.  Again, emphasis on being affordable / close to free.  I like to play things that a story based or have some kind of thinking / tactical element to them instead of running around and aimlessly shooting other folks online.

When I have money again:

Entry level motorcycle.. Yamaha has motorcycles at $6-$7k that are awesome entry level bikes now.  estimated 58mpg with an FZ07... which means 50-55 mpg real world.  Awesome if you want to get out and ride, and also step away from that 15mpg pick up truck that ARFcom seems to love so much.

Go visit breweries - who doesn't love to drink good beer?  Get out and sample some good new beers. Definitely will take up a weekend and put you back $25-$50 tops.

Things to do that build skills:

Someone said it already, programming.  I hate it and won't do it but if you can get past it and get into it good for you.

Read books about investing / money management.

Learn to play poker (make money)

Somehow learn to do house/home repairs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That crossed my mind, but he said huge outlay of cash to get started.  Yes, now my ammo fort has stopped growing, and haven't acquired any new guns lately.  But, it's been worth it to be healthy and fit.  At the end of the day, an investment in your actual physical self is priceless, IMO, as opposed to some other hobby where you are just acquiring stuff, or doing stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weights dude. You'll be making progress, learning new things about yourself and what you're capable of, instill self-disciplines. You can go in to train after a shitty day with a foul mood and leave feeling on top of the world. I use that time to meditate and clear my head.

I was going to say CrossFit, and/or olympic weightlifting.  It will consume you and it will be worth it.

I did this for 2 years and pumped a whole bunch of money into it.

Save the money for the outrageous gym membership prices unless you need to learn form of olympic weight lifting.

If you understand and aren't going to hurt yourself doing a power clean or a clean and jerk do this:

Get a bar for $100, get 25's for each side for another $100 and then you are pretty much covered for olympic lifts.  Go get 45's when the 25's become too easy.  Then add the 25's if the 45's become too easy.

Mix that in with running or sit ups and pull ups and you're like 70% without the huge monthly cost.

What Xfit offers is someone to program your workout for you, and to workout with other people.. and the equipment.  If you have a few things of your own and can man up to program for yourself and get out there when others aren't you'll save roughly $1700/year.  And only supplementation worth while is a multivitamin or amino acids.  Unless you're trying to get huge and take roids etc etc.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What county are you in ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Models
2. Musical Instrument
3. Ham Radio

What county are you in ?

Ocean
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do something that is cheap.  I don't know your money situation but mine has been impacted for sure while looking for work for the past few months.

Here's what I have been doing:

Running (it is free, and doesn't require a gym membership)  1-2 miles you don't even have to go crazy with it.  I'd bicycle if I were in warmer weather and again had expendable income.

Video games - get old emulators and roms and play Playstation 2 or Playstation 1 or Nintendo 64 based games on your computer for pretty much free.  There's a lot of great older classics with great storylines.  Again, emphasis on being affordable / close to free.  I like to play things that a story based or have some kind of thinking / tactical element to them instead of running around and aimlessly shooting other folks online.

When I have money again:

Entry level motorcycle.. Yamaha has motorcycles at $6-$7k that are awesome entry level bikes now.  estimated 58mpg with an FZ07... which means 50-55 mpg real world.  Awesome if you want to get out and ride, and also step away from that 15mpg pick up truck that ARFcom seems to love so much.

Go visit breweries - who doesn't love to drink good beer?  Get out and sample some good new beers. Definitely will take up a weekend and put you back $25-$50 tops.

Things to do that build skills:

Someone said it already, programming.  I hate it and won't do it but if you can get past it and get into it good for you.

Read books about investing / money management.

Learn to play poker (make money)

Somehow learn to do house/home repairs.
View Quote

Running probably not going to happen until I actually decide to start working out and get fit.

I was in the army I have run more than I ever care to If the army taught me one thing it's that I hate running.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I need a hobby badly. I'm trying to break some very bad habits, and I need to fill my time with something.

I need something that can be done indoors without a huge outlay of cash to get started. Otherwise I would just get a 3d printer or a drone.
View Quote

The ponies start back up soon at least
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I need a hobby badly. I'm trying to break some very bad habits, and I need to fill my time with something.

I need something that can be done indoors without a huge outlay of cash to get started. Otherwise I would just get a 3d printer or a drone.
View Quote

Reloading
Ham Radio
Jerking off

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Save the money for the outrageous gym membership prices unless you need to learn form of olympic weight lifting.

If you understand and aren't going to hurt yourself doing a power clean or a clean and jerk do this:

Get a bar for $100, get 25's for each side for another $100 and then you are pretty much covered for olympic lifts.  Go get 45's when the 25's become too easy.  Then add the 25's if the 45's become too easy.

Mix that in with running or sit ups and pull ups and you're like 70% without the huge monthly cost.

What Xfit offers is someone to program your workout for you, and to workout with other people.. and the equipment.  If you have a few things of your own and can man up to program for yourself and get out there when others aren't you'll save roughly $1700/year.  And only supplementation worth while is a multivitamin or amino acids.  Unless you're trying to get huge and take roids etc etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even lift, bro?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#24]
r/c airplanes?

For less than $100 you could get yourself a kit and the tools to build it.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ557&P=0
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Home brewing, because beer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is a possibility. My girlfriend might not enjoy the stage between starting and getting good though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you musically inclined?

A bit, when I say that it means I enjoy listening to music and I can recognize bad music.

I meant would you be interested in learning to play an instrument?

This is a possibility. My girlfriend might not enjoy the stage between starting and getting good though.

So... you're saying that it would be like sex then?

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's going to happen eventually, because beer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a home brew forum.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeap dive in there every now and then. I have a few books on it as well.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Working out doesn't really require a huge outlay of cash. It replaced bad habits with good ones and makes a person feel good.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Working out doesn't really require a huge outlay of cash. It replaced bad habits with good ones and makes a person feel good.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

No it doesn't but I'm just not motivated in that direction right now. Until I can get motivated to work out I'm just not actually going to do it. I'm going to end up with stuff to do it or a gym membership and never use them. Or I'll say I'm going to wake up a little early tomorrow and go for a run, and just keep hitting snooze.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Make fishing lures and sell them on ebay
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Amateur Radio

Model Building (Plastic cars, Balsa wood airplanes etc)

Wood Carving
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Get a Raspberry Pi and start one of their projects.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Painting toy soldiers for wargaming or otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Hookers and blow while not cheap is traditionally an indoor hobby
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Pimping.

But, it ain't easy.

White Slavery, if you can get an Arab connection.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
GO to local pawnshops

Buy old, beat up, cheap ass shotguns and .22's

refinish, reblue, get them looking and running good.

sell on armslist or the EE for a tiny profit.

I don't make any money doing it, I just like taking an old fucked up gun and making it newish again. Just be careful not to accidentally bubba a collectible gun, sometimes the pawn shops don't know what they have.
View Quote

Of course, buying guns with the intent to flip them for a profit requires an FFL, but hey, who's keeping score?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#40]
There's this neat website, guns and other topics are covered. You'll learn history, how to make some firearms and lots of insightful information. It's pretty addicting I might add. Oh, never mind.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There's this neat website, guns and other topics are covered. You'll learn history, how to make some firearms and lots of insightful information. It's pretty addicting I might add. Oh, never mind.
View Quote

Already got that one it takes up way to much time as is.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#43]
While not productive, you can kill hours here, and its cheap (free) if you have a computer/internet already. (World of Tanks) Does not use much data after main download.

http://worldoftanks.com/join/508_11590384973?utm_campaign=us_wot_search_brandwords_exact&utm_medium=2019&utm_source=793&sid=T%3DQigvaBfnF0_4PH00YnSVWN9UDVZPrk9a!P%3D0BZ4JWk4GXKlEAJQr9NRxoKAR7Jc1Kvp7cRp956vFrDDc5xkqYzIZU41b8joQS1FvwmokYvDE1zQlLmn6da6h6C4V9ygTtIP0EA95Y4ab7I6u6G6RsR6dGiMuISYDoVMblwkAnxhia_DSknKVOroT6BbSB2aJbbh1L9EmaT590btutm_VBhdxcFr6ipWr9mvlgShcxPA968C5H0lyLjLYXCPM6sXB8epxP8azsBD7FlHo48JdUsTV9YxB2W8HEK64q5r8KQarSIYQnt06Q9oqyu5_M5j8f13KSI6Melk9YO4eCJ7aX8e1A

Then, making wine is cheap, making sauerkraut is cheap, baking bread, (I've learned how to do it in a dutch oven on my grill or fire pit) For the wine, I use a 5 gallon bucket as primary fermenter, then transfer to empty bottles, it is slow though. I bought a used 6 qt slowcooker at goodwill too, I just use the removable ceramic pot to make sauerkraut.

Then workout if you can, I hate working out, I use to run, but my knees went bad doing it, (after 10 yrs) but two 25 or 30 lb hand weights don't cost much.

Now I play golf for cheap. I bought a used driver at goodwill, $4 dollars, also about 10 balls there for a buck. I carry spare balls/tees/pistol in a small backpack.

I have a 9 hole near by that is only $7/to walk and I find plenty of more balls. I use the driver for everything, I don't care about the golf, just the walking, and I usually have it to myself. (the greens are sorta dirt/weeds, don't care) I know you said inside, but I'm sure you will see some nice days. Do all of the above, it will fill hours.

PS, did you mention girlfriend?  Well, there's at least an hour a day playing with her goodies. What ever you do, don't marry her, the sex will stop.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought a bunch of stuff from Hobbylinc to get back into 1/48 scale models. I'm starting with a Corsair F4U. $150 initial investment.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Musical instrument(s). Reading classics and non-fiction. Programming. Some kind of craft (models, pottery, woodworking, carving, art, etc.). Amateur radio and/or electronics. Fishing and/or hunting.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Cats. Lots and lots of cats.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm starting wood working as a new years resolution/hobby/etc.  It is one of the very few hobbies that can actually pay you back if you get good at it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm starting wood working as a new years resolution/hobby/etc.  It is one of the very few hobbies that can actually pay you back if you get good at it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woodworking is already roughly in the plans. Part of holding off on it is because I am in a temporary location and until I get a more permanent one I don't know what I will have as far as a space to work in. With it looking like an apartment or town house I won't have much to use so I will likely end up going old school and mostly hand tools.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Darts, making para cord items, try writing a story, organize your possesions, learn to pick locks, ceramics, card tricks and fancy card handling.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Search Craigslist for deals.

Self Defense and Fitness Forum will get you heading in the right direction.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top