Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/28/2014 2:35:38 PM EDT
I need a hobby badly. I'm trying to break some very bad habits, and I need to fill my time with something.

I need something that can be done indoors without a huge outlay of cash to get started. Otherwise I would just get a 3d printer or a drone.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need a hobby badly. I'm trying to break some very bad habits, and I need to fill my time with something.

I need something that can be done indoors without a huge outlay of cash to get started. Otherwise I would just get a 3d printer or a drone.
View Quote

Why indoors?  Get a metal detector and get out and find some treasure.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you musically inclined?

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Guns

shooting guns

cleaning guns

trap/skeet shooting

coding (you can learn online for free)

run
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Reading.  Books are free at the library.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Metal detecting is a possibility, but I have just moved to the area I have no clues for good places to detect and it's getting cold here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Collecting gun magazines is a good hobby.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

A bit, when I say that it means I enjoy listening to music and I can recognize bad music.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Some people's hobby include collecting spores, molds, and fungus.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Reading.  Books are free at the library.
View Quote

Already do that one, though maybe I'll start getting more non fiction books.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
ARFCOM
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Drawing
sudoku
Build model cars
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Reading or working out. Use this as an opportunity for self improvement. I think men need a hobby or something to be into. I don't think women feel this same need.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Plastic model kits. No shit. They aren't just for teenagers. I can sit down and start work on some type of fighter aircraft model and hours seem to pass as quickly as minutes. The day is gone before you know it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Knitting?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Learn programming. Theres a learning curve but its free to learn and get the tools to start.

This is a decent place to start
http://www.codecademy.com/

Plenty of other resources on the web too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A bit, when I say that it means I enjoy listening to music and I can recognize bad music.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant would you be interested in learning to play an instrument?

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I need one also

I'd say reloading ammo
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#18]
There is no hobby worth doing....that is legal in new jersey.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Drawing
sudoku
Build model cars
View Quote

Suck at drawing sudoku doesn't fit the bill for what I need.

Model cars is a possibility.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Reloading..
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Knitting?
View Quote

Tatting or cross stitch?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a possibility. My girlfriend might not enjoy the stage between starting and getting good though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Knitting?
View Quote

I've actually done that before. Just to challenge myself to see if I could pick it up. I can knit I'm just not all that good at it which makes it incredibly frustrating.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#24]
In all seriousness I would find some sort of volunteer/charity  or local serving in some way. It's free and you will actually help yourself in the process.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#25]
GO to local pawnshops

Buy old, beat up, cheap ass shotguns and .22's

refinish, reblue, get them looking and running good.

sell on armslist or the EE for a tiny profit.

I don't make any money doing it, I just like taking an old fucked up gun and making it newish again. Just be careful not to accidentally bubba a collectible gun, sometimes the pawn shops don't know what they have.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Fly tying

Fishing rod building, made my own rod wrapping jig in 1986
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Puzzles. Home made fishing lures. Carving shit out of wood. Making shit with 550 cord. Making improvised weapons out of random household items without the use of traditional hand tools. Making a meat dragon.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I need one also

I'd say reloading ammo
View Quote
I'm trying to get into this, but the upfront investment has slowed me down.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In all seriousness I would find some sort of volunteer/charity  or local serving in some way. It's free and you will actually help yourself in the process.
View Quote

or this.

Makes you feel pretty good about yourself and benefits other people.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is a possibility. My girlfriend might not enjoy the stage between starting and getting good though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM inbound.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Cigars
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need one also

I'd say reloading ammo
View Quote
View Quote

I started with a Lee Loader for my 270. I think it was $14 or so. Small box of primers & powder/bullets/scale.  Whole investment was under $100

This will teach you how to work up load development to wring all of the accuracy you can out of your cartridges.

Then you can add little by little .
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Weights dude. You'll be making progress, learning new things about yourself and what you're capable of, instill self-disciplines. You can go in to train after a shitty day with a foul mood and leave feeling on top of the world. I use that time to meditate and clear my head.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Join a martial arts school
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need one also

I'd say reloading ammo

Loading ammo is quite "front-end"  expensive to do in big volume, but you can get started on a single stage very much on the cheap.... and the main goal is to fill time anyway, right?

You can get up and running for less than a C-note.... I did.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I started with a Lee Loader for my 270. I think it was $14 or so. Small box of primers & powder/bullets/scale.  Whole investment was under $100

This will teach you how to work up load development to wring all of the accuracy you can out of your cartridges.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need one also

I'd say reloading ammo

It's not just the equipment, tools, and components that got me.  I also had to build a bench, and get a workshop set up too.  Now that I've finally got that done, this xmas will net me everything I need to hopefully reload a few thousand rounds

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Weights dude. You'll be making progress, learning new things about yourself and what you're capable of, instill self-disciplines. You can go in to train after a shitty day with a foul mood and leave feeling on top of the world. I use that time to meditate and clear my head.
View Quote

I was going to say CrossFit, and/or olympic weightlifting.  It will consume you and it will be worth it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Jump Rope. Seriously. I've been doing it for years and it's helped me lose weight and cut back on junk food and soda. $17

After your done jumping rope and you've turned all red you can spend countless hours on a 3D Castle Puzzle. If you get it and it drives you crazy you can PM and tell me how much you hate me for recommending it.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Metal detecting is a possibility, but I have just moved to the area I have no clues for good places to detect and it's getting cold here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winter is a good time to research potential sites.  Usually city parks are a good starting point if there are no ordinances against MDing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Model cars is good.  Also try woodworking and gardening as well.  Kills time fast and can be very therapeutic.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was going to say CrossFit, and/or olympic weightlifting.  It will consume you and it will be worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just started lifting weights again, haven't done it since I was in the military 10 years ago.  That and started eating right also.  I recently quit bad habits too.  

Between buying a few supplements and eating good foods, its not exactly cheap, but I can't think of a better thing to spend money on than things that make you healthy.  My mindset overall is much better too
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Hmmm

My hobbies don't fit your criteria, at least I don't think.

Firearms.
Jeeps.
Bass Guitar.
Pipe Smoking.
Video Games.
Reading.

Hope you find something.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#43]
The answer is AEG airsoft guns.  These are electric powered, shoot 6mm plastic BBs and some are accurate enough at 5 yards.  Noise level is low, cost of operation is extremely low and most long guns shoot on semi or full auto.  The handguns run on "green gas" and work very well for practice.

Cut a hole in the side of a Lowes bucket, hang an old pair of pants in the bucket as a backstop and the BBs can be reused lots of times.  Paper and cardboard stuff that would go into the recycling becomes objects of great fun when you shoot them into lace.

Precision air rifles are a lot more accurate but they are louder and much more expensive to shoot.  For blasting away the BB guns can't be beat.  Accuracy?  With the right barrel and barrel length, 5 shot groups can be covered by a penny at 5 yards.  Note, my Daisy BB guns were selected for accuracy by buying, testing and returning until I got accurate ones and these Daisy's accuracy in about 1.5" at the same distance.

Longevity: my JG M16 A1 airsoft gun needs a piston, it has about 30,000 rounds through it in two months.  30K of .22 LR or .223 costs too much and I have to travel to shoot it.

Hunting: If I shoot a hog with a cartridge gun, I have to cut it up, to get the meat, that is a hassle and makes a mess.  Besides,  I don't hunt them very often.  With the AEG I can hunt bugs almost every day and can do it in the back yard.  

RC flying things can't be flown most days because of the wind, at least where I live.  RC crawlers can be used every day it isn't raining but I have to travel a bit to get challenging terrain.  RC boats are similar to crawlers, travel and not in the rain.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Read?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drawing
sudoku
Build model cars

When I lived in Texas,  I would spend a whole weekend building a model car or some type of military vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Model trains..
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I collect old movies specifically classic flim noir.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Masturbation is free, and can be done indoors or out. It is a hobby you will never tire of.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Read?
View Quote

Already doing that one I read nightly, just need to expand my book selection.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top