Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 2:02:20 AM EDT
never been published, here is the story from the Bell Hellicoptor representative who was in Siagon in 1968.

In 1968, they had the relatively new COBRA  model out.  One issue was, if you were under fire, you really didn't know where it was coming from. So they came up with an ingenious sysem of sonic sensors  installed around the aircraft.  If it hears a gunshot (or the sonic crack more likely), it had a little box with a gauge that would say which area/side of the craft was under fire.  Very handy.

So the Lt. Col (Magnus, or something like that - supposedly awesome dude) obviously needed to test this out.  So, he hovered his craft above the runway near Siagon, and instructed a Sgt to fire the new M16 above the craft.  Yep!  it worked, the gauge indicated the fire, and location.  So fire to the left.  Again, it worked!   OK, Fire below!   One detail I left out, the M16 was on full auto.  And sure as can be, it rose right up into the craft.  2 rounds went into the link-lift, wrecking it.  That's a non-repairable item.  The copter emergency went down, and they had to retrofit all the way back to Ft.Worth in the US for rebuild.

And that is the story of how one of the first COBRA shot down in Vietnam happened, as told by MotherBell. He actually thinks it is THE first one shot down.

The sonic gunfire indicator system?  Huge success, so they installed them on the rest of the helocopters.   Problem was, the flight crews had no idea they were regularly taking anywhere near that much gunfire.  It unnerved them so bad,  it was affecting them.  So  they ended up just pulling them all out.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Haha... dang

- Clint
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Good story.  Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Good post.

But couldn't they have used blanks?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:39:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe Snakedriver will give his POV?

I dunno if fear was the reason they were disabled!

Stranger things have happened I guess.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good post.

View Quote

It's the government
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:46:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's the government
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good post.

It's the government

No projectile, no sonic crack....
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:48:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

you are welcome.  Not to get too sappy, but I married his daughter.  And we thought he was a gooner a few months ago.  He pulled through.  I once read a few years ago, that if you have a relative who is an aging vet, sit down with them and bring a pad of paper - they have some great stories.  They also have a lot of serious scars.  And they don't think anyone cares.  But soon all of them are going to be gone,  and they do have a story that now they are old enough to tell.  

Sadly, most of the WWII vets indeed now are gone.  And the Vietnam vets are approaching that position in short order too.  So tonight at Thanksgiving, I sat down with my wife's father, and  just started talking.  I know he served, but he doesn't talk about that.  He still won't talk about his actual service, but he will start talking now about when he went back under contract as the Bell Helicopter rep.  And this is just one of the stories i got from him tonight.

As to his service, my wife grew up thinking there was this guy named Charlie you had to look out for.  She didn't know what it really was until her tweens.   I did get him drunk once a long time ago (which I'm told was an extremely dangerous move), and get just a little.  Piecing that and what the rest of the family knows: He came from a broken home as a kid, a real hellraiser too, and a big guy.  Ran away from home many times.  Mother was a nut job.  So the military wanted him.  They wanted a man just like him in fact.  Joined the Navy  in 1960.  After a while, they started a new program - very bad ass.  They wanted a man who's family was the service,  to be a part of that.  But there was another group that had already started it, called Team 1.  Team 1's job is now to be the trainers for the guys who would really go into combat: Team #2.  He was on Team #2.  If you haven't guessed by now, it was the SEALs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:53:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good post.

View Quote

You think they stock up on those in war zones? BFA's?

M16 blanks aren't that loud. AK-47 blanks are deafening (personal experience), but M16 blanks......not so much.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:57:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's the government
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good post.

It's the government

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:57:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You would think.    But you're looking at it like I would - mature professionals in a safety conscious world. This was pre-OSHA Tet in1968.   It actually makes sense, because Lt. Col Magnus ( I think that's the recollection of the spelling), only wanted young fearless pilots.  The company was called the Griffin's - Death on Dial (they even had cards).   With that kind of mentality, you don't want them all spooked right away from their first "safe" flights?

There is nothing more dangerous than a nervous pilot.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:00:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You would think.    But you're looking at it like I would - mature professionals in a safety conscious world. This was pre-OSHA Tet in1968.   It actually makes sense, because Lt. Col Magnus ( I think that's the recollection of the spelling), only wanted young fearless pilots.  The company was called the Griffin's - Death on Dial (they even had cards).   With that kind of mentality, you don't want them all spooked right away from their first "safe" flights?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except a single American soldier with an M16 on full auto, apparently
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:04:58 AM EDT
[#13]
There was this cliff with caves in the face of it.  Charlie would put 51 cal  MG's in those caves, and light up the COBRA's every time they got close.  This pissed off one of the young pilots.  So, even though he was completely out of ammo and rockets, he flew right to the face of the cliff, low and below the guns traverse. Then eased straight up, and stuck his nose into the cave.  Chu Hoy!  The MG crew surrendered to him, even though he was out of ammo!

So I had to ask, what happened then, it's not like he could take them prisoner?    Oh, he backed out and the bird behind him lit it up with rockets.  They always flew in packs of 3 you know, that way to cover each other during the exposed pull out of a firing run.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:10:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

you are welcome.  Not to get too sappy, but I married his daughter.  And we thought he was a gooner a few months ago.  He pulled through.  I once read a few years ago, that if you have a relative who is an aging vet, sit down with them and bring a pad of paper - they have some great stories.  They also have a lot of serious scars.  And they don't think anyone cares.  But soon all of them are going to be gone,  and they do have a story that now they are old enough to tell.  

Sadly, most of the WWII vets indeed now are gone.  And the Vietnam vets are approaching that position in short order too.  So tonight at Thanksgiving, I sat down with my wife's father, and  just started talking.  I know he served, but he doesn't talk about that.  He still won't talk about his actual service, but he will start talking now about when he went back under contract as the Bell Helicopter rep.  And this is just one of the stories i got from him tonight.

As to his service, my wife grew up thinking there was this guy named Charlie you had to look out for.  She didn't know what it really was until her tweens.   I did get him drunk once a long time ago (which I'm told was an extremely dangerous move), and get just a little.  Piecing that and what the rest of the family knows: He came from a broken home as a kid, a real hellraiser too, and a big guy.  Ran away from home many times.  Mother was a nut job.  So the military wanted him.  They wanted a man just like him in fact.  Joined the Navy  in 1960.  After a while, they started a new program - very bad ass.  They wanted a man who's family was the service,  to be a part of that.  But there was another group that had already started it, called Team 1.  Team 1's job is now to be the trainers for the guys who would really go into combat: Team #2.  He was on Team #2.  If you haven't guessed by now, it was the SEALs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please don't forget the Korean War Vets, even in threads where people remind us about the different war vets, the men that served  in Korea seem to be overlooked.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:13:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Please don't forget the Korean War Vets, even in threads where people remind us about the different war vets, the men that served  in Korea seem to be overlooked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quote so. Apologies - just not mentioned because  not a component of this storyline.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Snake posted some fantastic perspectives and history. I spent hours researching afterwards. Thanks, Snake!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Another story:   For a while the air wing was stationed at a place they called the Three Sisters, because there were 3 mountains there.  As the Bell representative, he was there too.

So the three Sisters were friendly teritorry, and so not to be fired upon.  Of course, Charlie actually controlled the three sisters, and they would take fire every time they flew out from that place.  But couldn't shoot back. One day, one of the Cobra's had a "malfunction" during take-off, and all 24 rockets launched from the rocket pod all at once, right where the fire was coming from.   Fortunately, MotherBell was able to find the  short in the wiring to cause this malfunction, so  it shouldn't happen again.   shouldn't.

Never took fire from there again for the rest of their  stay.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool story OP thanks for posting it! And God Bless all of our vets.

There is a really cool military (Mott's) museum near me and they have an original Vietnam Cobra that was also hit (though I don't know if it was actually shot down).  

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#19]
It'd be cool to see those flying in combat again. I bet they'd still be effective.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It'd be cool to see those flying in combat again. I bet they'd still be effective.
View Quote

Especially if they were updated

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

M16 blanks aren't that loud. AK-47 blanks are deafening (personal experience), but M16 blanks......not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good post.

Works off the sonic crack, you need a projectile to be moving by the helicoptor for it to work.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/caboose314/E718B19B-74FD-4251-9043-716C74EC69AA_zpslpyte6y6.jpg

I know but needs more shark teeth.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/caboose314/E718B19B-74FD-4251-9043-716C74EC69AA_zpslpyte6y6.jpg

indeed, they would

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are still a few in active service now right?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Marines just put the Zulu model into operational service recently.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zaTCOGpU6A
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zaTCOGpU6A

Semper Fi, light em' up from the sky uuuurrraaaahhhh, uuuurrrrraaaahhhh, uuuuuuurrrrraaaaaahhh!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I came here to post the same.

Don't forget get the Korean vets.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

indeed, they would

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_AH-1Z_Viper#/image/File:AH-1Z_HMLA-303_in_flight_2008.jpg

Here you go Gunny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fVkwltV1_I
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

indeed, they would

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_AH-1Z_Viper#/image/File:AH-1Z_HMLA-303_in_flight_2008.jpg

Here you go Gunny!

LoL.... Although I did cut my teeth on J model Cobras (and -1N Hueys), I was in Jr High when that movie hit the screen.

..... now git off my lawn!

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LoL.... Although I did cut my teeth on J model Cobras (and -1N Hueys), I was in Jr High when that movie hit the screen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

indeed, they would

Here you go Gunny!

BY YOUR LEAVE SIR!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
BY YOUR LEAVE SIR!!!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BY YOUR LEAVE SIR!!!!!

Don't call me "sir" ... I know who both my parents are.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#33]
tap-tap
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BY YOUR LEAVE SIR!!!!!

Brown stain on the mattress?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#35]
HA! What you don't know can't hurt you!  I never heard of this system in '72 when I was in Vietnam getting blasted at daily by every little angry brown soldier on the ground.  We often knew quite well when we were taking fire because you could easily hear the sonic pops and if it was the large caliber type (often) and it was close enough, you could also feel the sonic pops.  In our business, speed was life and the rounds were usually going behind us because "Charles" was really bad at leading their targets.  Luckily, none of them were duck hunters.  The hardest thing to get used to was to simply ignore the upcoming enemy fire and "continue mission".

The "SA-7 Strela" missiles were a little harder to ignore, as were the air bursts from the 37 mm's and 57 mm's that the NVA had track mounted.

Great story OP, I love hearing stuff like that.  THANKS!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
never been published, here is the story from the Bell Hellicoptor representative who was in Siagon in 1968.

The sonic gunfire indicator system?  Huge success, so they installed them on the rest of the helocopters.   Problem was, the flight crews had no idea they were regularly taking anywhere near that much gunfire.  It unnerved them so bad,  it was affecting them.  So  they ended up just pulling them all out.

View Quote

Sorry to be a party pooper....it has never been published because it never happened.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good post.

It's the government

Ummmm, yeah.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

USMC Zulu's.  Marine pilot + Zulu = Got the chance to ride in a "Whiskey" - crazy ride. He tried to make me sick and succeeded.
My brother in law was testing them at the proving grounds here in Yuma.  They had "something" go wrong and they had to land. It was in a field by a Denny's restaurant. They got coffee to go and sure enough, when they got back everything was fine.
We also had a retirement party for one of our CO's out in the middle of the desert. Camping, sitting around BS's ing, very small unit, we were tight. SAR UH-1 shows up, landed, and dropped off a chest or two iced down beer and left.
Ah, the old Corps...the stuff we used to do.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#39]
So he was a SEAL and a helo pilot/Bell contract consultant?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who are you asking? If you are asking about me, my brother in law was Army, rode front seat and was testing weapons systems that seem to be working out pretty good today.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#41]
double tap
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a buddy who has the distinction of being shot down twice in the same day in a Cobra. The first time he was clearing a ridge when a gook popped up and raked his Cobra with AK 47 fire causing the aircraft to pound in. Latter that day he was in the club recounting what went down and a bunch of them decided they would set out and teach the VC a lesson. So they headed out hunting. As they approached the same ridge he was pointing out where the gook was and just then the same guy pops up and unloads his rifle sending the second aircraft to the ground. Needless to say they called it a day.  

Both aircraft were recovered and repaired.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not at the same time.   Got out of the Navy as fast as he could - it was not a time of his life he wishes to revisit.  So he went to work for the airlines.  Then Bell Helicopter, who sent him back as a civilian rep.   He did get his pilots license and flew civy helicopters as an aerial applicator in the US for a while, but I don't know when he actually got that.   My wifes earlist memories include flying with her dad as extra eyes looking for the crash site of a crashed coworker/friend.

As to the story being untrue according to one poster - who knows,  I wasn't there.   He was,  and was the company representative.  He has the plaque with his name on it made from a Cobra tail blade, given to him by the base.   I am sure stuff gets fuzzy (and embellish) with the years,  but imagine he has more authority on the topic than most.  It's not like you can cross check against Facebook posts, so who knows.   I buy it,  this is the same era where they used automatic star constallation sensors to navigate the SR71, technically the sensor system would be far simpler than that.  And new 1968 young pilots being spooked by it seems credible to me.

So I did get a couple Navy stories from him.   He was on a Sub during the cuban missle crisis, off of Cuba.  He thought this was it - this was the end of the world.   Sounds cliche today,  but fear of terrorism today is nothing compared to the real fear the world had during those days.   During a calmer time,  he and his others didn't really have anything to do - they didn't have ship duties a lot.  So one thing they did to junior officers while they were being tested was all move as a group from one part of the sub to another,  to jack up their ballest levelling while the officwr was being tested on that.  These were big guys,  and if the officer couldn't keep the sub on a level plane,  he failed!.  

He served on the Thomas A edison, as well as another (forget the name now...: Amber Jack)   sometimes he deployed through the torpedo tubes.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cool story OP thanks for posting it! And God Bless all of our vets.

There is a really cool military (Mott's) museum near me and they have an original Vietnam Cobra that was also hit (though I don't know if it was actually shot down).  

http://imageshack.com/a/img522/7935/1000585c.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img838/5586/1000584f.jpg
View Quote

7.6[violet]3[/violet]??
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Not at the same time.   Got out of the Navy as fast as he could - it was not a time of his life he wishes to revisit.  So he went to work for the airlines.  Then Bell Helicopter, who sent him back as a civilian rep.   He did get his pilots license and flew civy helicopters as an aerial applicator in the US for a while, but I don't know when he actually got that.   My wifes earlist memories include flying with her dad as extra eyes looking for the crash site of a crashed coworker/friend.

As to the story being untrue according to one poster - who knows,  I wasn't there.   He was,  and was the company representative.  He has the plaque with his name on it made from a Cobra tail blade, given to him by the base.   I am sure stuff gets fuzzy (and embellish) with the years,  but imagine he has more authority on the topic than most.  It's not like you can cross check against Facebook posts, so who knows.   I buy it,  this is the same era where they used automatic star constallation sensors to navigate the SR71, technically the sensor system would be far simpler than that.  And new 1968 young pilots being spooked by it seems credible to me.

So I did get a couple Navy stories from him.   He was on a Sub during the cuban missle crisis, off of Cuba.  He thought this was it - this was the end of the world.   Sounds cliche today,  but fear of terrorism today is nothing compared to the real fear the world had during those days.   During a calmer time,  he and his others didn't really have anything to do - they didn't have ship duties a lot.  So one thing they did to junior officers while they were being tested was all move as a group from one part of the sub to another,  to jack up their ballest levelling while the officwr was being tested on that.  These were big guys,  and if the officer couldn't keep the sub on a level plane,  he failed!.  

He served on the Thomas A edison, as well as another (forget the name now...)   sometimes he deployed through the torpedo tubes.

View Quote

Never said it was not a cool story.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Who are you asking? If you are asking about me, my brother in law was Army, rode front seat and was testing weapons systems that seem to be working out pretty good today.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah.  It was meant for the OP.  Sounds like a heck of a story to hear.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, misread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top