Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2014 7:34:49 PM EDT
People have said that the holidays are always hard when you lose someone you love.  This past week has been the first somewhat normal week I've had since dad passed away.  My wife and I invited my mom to go to my father in laws house in SC to spend Thanksgiving.  I have thought about dad a lot but what really got me was when I was by myself for a few minutes . See, whenever I would break away from my wife's family I always used that opportunity to call back home and talk to dad.  So there I was, knowing that I was going to call home and no one would answer.  I went ahead and called anyway.  

No answer.

Love you dad.  Miss you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry bud.

I'm moving back to CA to spend more time with my Dad.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for your loss OP.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for your loss... I lost my dad in 2003... I miss him.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I lost my dad this year too. First holiday without him. Hang in there man, and appreciate the family you still have with you!

Sorry again for your loss
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss OP.
View Quote

+1.  Always miss my Dad.  He died 17 years ago.

Waiting for the day he and I will put down some Irish Whisky again.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]
hats off.......heres a beer....its rough
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for your lost OP.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sorry bud.

View Quote

I was with dad till the end.  He and mom were gracious enough to give my wife and I 6 acres to start our life together.  Least I could do was spend time and take care of dad as he needed it.  About a week before he passed he told me that he wanted me to know how good of a son I was.  We didn't get to do as much together as I wanted over the past four years, but in hindsight any time with family is quality time. Even little things like bitching about how the traffic is on the interstate or how your favorite sports team is doing.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]
It's no fun.  That's for sure
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I`m glad that you had a Dad you could be that close to.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Lost my dad 5 weeks ago yesterday. Today has been hard. Thanksgiving was his favorite holiday. For a split second I still almost pic up the phone to talk to him. :(
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I`m glad that you had a Dad you could be that close to.
View Quote

I wasn't really close with dad until he retired which was also the year I graduated from high school.  I went to college part-time and did a part time job.  The rest of The time was spent on the lake fishing with dad or just hanging out with him.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was with dad till the end.  He and mom were gracious enough to give my wife and I 6 acres to start our life together.  Least I could do was spend time and take care of dad as he needed it.  About a week before he passed he told me that he wanted me to know how good of a son I was.  We didn't get to do as much together as I wanted over the past four years, but in hindsight any time with family is quality time. Even little things like bitching about how the traffic is on the interstate or how your favorite sports team is doing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry bud.

Yep! I miss the after work beer every now and then and Sunday BBQ's. I will still have a place in AZ to store my toys. Family's more important.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#14]
All alone at my house. Just wife, son and I.
Wife's parents passed several years ago.
My mother died 3 years ago. Dad's funeral was Tuesday.
Meh, it's part of life...
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#15]
My parents passed a dozen years ago, 3 Months apart. Even to this day, occasionally when I'm half asleep, I will think to myself I should give them a call tomorrow. Makes for a very sad realization.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry for your loss!  It's the cycle of life, though.  You've got to be strong and be their for the children now.  for me it was my Mom, back in 98.  She was the glue.  Now my wife and I try to make the day special for the kids and their kids.  We really had a nice one today!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Time will eventually heal the hurt.   Hang in there.

It took me about a year to get over my Dad's death.

gd
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Last 12 months were rough in my family. My father passed away on November 3rd.

My uncle had a heart attack just before his funeral mass at the church. He never fully recovered.

Mother was diagnosed with 4th stage pancreatic cancer in September, and passed away 11 days after my Dad on the day of his burial.

Uncle passed away in August, and a few days later we had to put our 17 year border collie down.

We shed a lot of tears last year during the holidays.

There's a big empty feeling right now. We all lived in the same town, just miles from each other.

We hold each other up, and pray.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Dad passed in1990, I still miss him big time. Mom passed a few weeks ago. Holiday's mean nothing anymore.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#20]
My dad passed in June. His birthday was on the 18th of this month. It was by far the hardest day I have had since he has passed. Like you I still called his phone.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Really sucks, lost my dad in october. Kept waiting for him to come in with the rolls.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My dad passed in June. His birthday was on the 18th of this month. It was by far the hardest day I have had since he has passed. Like you I still called his phone.

View Quote

I don't know if it's a healthy way to grieve or not, but whatever.  Last week I went back through my Google voice voicemails and listened to bunch of those and downloaded them.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Last 12 months were rough in my family. My father passed away on November 3rd.

My uncle had a heart attack just before his funeral mass at the church. He never fully recovered.

Mother was diagnosed with 4th stage pancreatic cancer in September, and passed away 11 days after my Dad on the day of his burial.

Uncle passed away in August, and a few days later we had to put our 17 year border collie down.

We shed a lot of tears last year during the holidays.

There's a big empty feeling right now. We all lived in the same town, just miles from each other.

We hold each other up, and pray.
View Quote

My dad passed on Nov 3rd as well.  This time last year my mom and I went to Wal-Mart to get a flat screen TV and when we got home dad had had a stroke.  He stayed in the hospital and then a nursing home for rehab until Jan.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry for your loss OP.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

People have said that the holidays are always hard when you lose someone you love.  This past week has been the first somewhat normal week I've had since dad passed away.  My wife and I invited my mom to go to my father in laws house in SC to spend Thanksgiving.  I have thought about dad a lot but what really got me was when I was by myself for a few minutes . See, whenever I would break away from my wife's family I always used that opportunity to call back home and talk to dad.  So there I was, knowing that I was going to call home and no one would answer.  I went ahead and called anyway.  

No answer.

Love you dad.  Miss you.

View Quote
Hugs bro. His spirt lives through you.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry man.  Lost my old man Dec 27 of 2010.  I think about him often and cannot count the times I would like to ask him something.  It does get better with time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't know if it's a healthy way to grieve or not, but whatever.  Last week I went back through my Google voice voicemails and listened to bunch of those and downloaded them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good for you for downloading them. I had a bunch of Voice mails from him on my Iphone. I had not backed anything up for 9 months or so and my phone crashed. I lost a bunch of ones I would like to have right now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#28]

I'll go hug my father now.  

I'm sorry OP.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

good for you for downloading them. I had a bunch of Voice mails from him on my Iphone. I had not backed anything up for 9 months or so and my phone crashed. I lost a bunch of ones I would like to have right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like Google voice only keeps a couple of years worth which kind of sucks.  The best one I found was him wishing my daughter a happy birthday (she's 3).  I hate you lost yours.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Lost my Dad in 1972, now sitting bedside with my wife and her cancer.  Life is never easy if you truly care. OP, I respect you and this post for the love you have shown.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Lost dad a few years ago, what I truly miss is his advice. Was given didn't have to worry about if he had an angle/agenda. It was said without regard if it would hurt my feelings.

Miss you
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember the last time I called my brother's number to hear his voicemail greeting and someone else answered.  Was a hard day.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
All alone at my house. Just wife, son and I.
Wife's parents passed several years ago.
My mother died 3 years ago. Dad's funeral was Tuesday.
Meh, it's part of life...
View Quote

Very sorry
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry for your loss . It's not easy. My brother died in a motorcycle accident between Thansgiving and opening day of buck(used to be a major holiday in Pa)over 20yrs ago.
No one in the family knew what to do untill Grandpa said we should just go out the first day. We all did but it just wasn't the same without Joe. Grandpa passed away before Thanksgiving
7yrs later. Gram before Easter 6 months after him. Dad passed away 4yrs ago befor Labor Day.

Just remember the good times and the goofy stuff you did that he(they) called you on. Helps me.

Some one here has a list of people who said they would be available to jaw with if you really get down, or just message me.
As time goes by it gets slightly more tolerable but you never really get over it. May you find peace.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Condolences to everyone who's lost family.

I lost my Dad two years ago in a plane crash, it's still feels strange that he's gone.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm sorry for your loss OP.  I'm in the same boat myself.  I lost an uncle in July and my Grandfather, who raised me, last month.  It sucks bad, but you still have other family members to worry about.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#37]
My wife's father passed away unexpectedly on November 17th. He was truly a great man who I loved more than my own father. My wife and her sisters are also devastated as he was seemingly healthy and only 62. Today was quite somber to say the least. Lots of anger at the loss is still being felt and most of the family left early. My wife's sister is not putting up a tree for Christmas this year which is truly sad for her 3 and 5 yr old kids. We are putting up a bigger tree than last year in the holes that we can try and celebrate with our children how special their grandpa was and how much he loved giving them presents.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#38]
We're going through the double-whammy this year.  My FIL and my grandfather both died this year.  The loss of both was tough this year at Thanksgiving.  On top of that, the last time I saw my cousin/best friend alive was on Thanksgiving 2009.  Thanksgiving is a mixed blessing in my life.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#39]
My parents and I are going through it too, after the passing of my brother on July 28th. It sucks, but it is what it is. I know he wouldn't want everyone to be mopey, so we're trying to just do our thing as best as we can.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Mine too. Passed this June. It's very strange.  The mind creates connections that are not easily severed.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#41]
This is the first Thanksgiving without my dad, too. Miss him.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Sorry for your loss Red.  I lost my Carrie in May to pancreatic cancer.  We were married 29yrs, 7 days.  Had a hard time during the blessing at today's meal.  Got home an hour ago and sat in the car and cried.  I think of Carrie every waking hour.  Christmas will be tough.  I'm lucky to have a good supporting family that helps me get through it.  This is one hurdle in life we have to get over.  I will say a prayer for you and your family.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss Red.  I lost my Carrie in May to pancreatic cancer.  We were married 29yrs, 7 days.  Had a hard time during the blessing at today's meal.  Got home an hour ago and sat in the car and cried.  I think of Carrie every waking hour.  Christmas will be tough.  I'm lucky to have a good supporting family that helps me get through it.  This is one hurdle in life we have to get over.  I will say a prayer for you and your family.
View Quote

Mom and dad were married for 36 years. I never kept up with when their anniversary was to be honest, but even with dad as sick as he was and confused as he was he remembered their anniversary.

My thoughts go out to all of you for the loss of your loved ones as well. Thank you all for sharing your personal experiences .

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
+1

This is my first holiday season without my mother

She died Dec 27th last year . happy holidays
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

+1  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

This is my first holiday season without my mother

She died Dec 27th last year . happy holidays
Nov. 25 last year for me. I feel you, man.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Lost my Dad in '79 when I was teen, seems like it was yesterday when he was asking me to come over and have dinner.

He was the glue that held our family together.

Since he passed, everyone went there separate ways and everything went to shit.
All of the family gatherings were over after the funeral.
Heartbreaking to this day.

I sure miss him. Holidays really are hard even after all these years.

Grab your children and hug them, life is very short.
I'll pray for you tonight OP.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Mom died in July of 2013.My Dad died in June of this year..

I still catch myself thinking...........hey,I'd better call Mom and Dad.......
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Lost my mom in Feb 2010.
It sucks but my family was never big on holidays but I still find myself choking up or wanting to call her to tell her something that happened that I know she would get a laugh.

Sorry for your loss OP.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No answer.

Love you dad.  Miss you.

View Quote

The men here on ARF can't cry at that, but I can. I'm so sorry for the loss of your father.

Our family Christmases can be divided into two eras: With Dad and Without Dad.  He really made Christmas fun and was like an overgrown boy. There were all these rituals and traditions that he insisted upon. We tried to keep it all going after his death, and to a certain extent we did, but it was never the same. Never ever.

Nowadays we do almost nothing and it sucks. It sucks the big hairy root.

Don't let that happen to you. None of you.

BTW DAMMIT I'm going to order my nice pine-smelling wreath and my See's Candies now, I was putting it off but dammit I'm doing it now, that's one part of the tradition I can keep up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top