Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 11/25/2014 7:46:01 PM EDT
www.upi.com/Business_News/Security-Industry/2014/11/25/GenDyn-Smith-Wesson-team-to-supply-new-pistol-to-Army/6881416941593/

excerpt - ST. PETERSBURG, Fla., Nov. 25 (UPI) -- General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems and Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. have joined forces in pursuit of a contract to supply a new 9mm handgun to the U.S. Army.
The firearm, for the Army's Modular Handgun System solicitation, will be based on Smith & Wesson's M&P polymer pistol platform, which features a reinforced polymer chassis and ambidextrous controls and which is carried by law enforcement personnel around the world.

"This partnership combines General Dynamics' proven legacy in manufacturing military armaments with Smith & Wesson's extensive experience in designing and manufacturing firearms for commercial applications," said Tim McAuliffe, vice president and general manager of medium caliber ammunition and weapons for General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems. "General Dynamics' extensive background in winning and managing military contracts brings proven leadership to the venture and by joining together, we will use our combined knowledge and expertise to bring this unique capability to the U.S. military to better equip the warfighter."
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Or they could quit dickin' around, and   buy   a bunch of M11/ P229,

Which are already  NSN numbered, in production, with  the   manuals, training, armory, and  infrastructure is already in place.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Which are already  NSN numbered, in production, and the   manuals and  and armory infrastructure is already in place.
View Quote

But if they don't spend the development money then it will get cut from next year's budget.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Or they could quit dickin' around, and   buy   a bunch of M11/ P229 G19, Which are already  NSN numbered, in production, and the   manuals and  and armory infrastructure is already in place.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But if they don't spend the development money then it will get cut from next year's budget.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or they could quit dickin' around, and   buy   a bunch of M11/ P229, Which are already  NSN numbered, in production, and the   manuals and  and armory infrastructure is already in place.

Honestly that likely plays more into it then it should.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quality article here:

"The standard U.S. Army sidearm is a 9mm pistol from Baretta, which in 1985 replaced the .45 caliber pistol in use since 1911"

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Or they could quit dickin' around, and   buy   a bunch of M11/ P229, Which are already  NSN numbered, in production, and the   manuals and  and armory infrastructure is already in place.
View Quote

Winning
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#7]
You can't tell me that somebody isn't getting a kickback for that bullshit.

Our tax dollars at work. Bribry.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be very interested in seeing what they do to the M&P line for the MHS.

We've seen the Sig entrant, and probably the H&K entrant. But I can't wait to see what Glock, S&W, and Beretta bring to the table. The MHS is going to do to modern service handguns what JCP did for full-size double stack .45s.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Or just adopt what the discretionary units are already buying.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a win for us because you know they will sell a version to us first.

Hope it is not a sig p229 bore axis is too high and trigger sucks

Hk vp9 or walther ppq
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Which are already  NSN numbered, in production, and the   manuals and  and armory infrastructure is already in place.
View Quote
Or maybe they just replace the shitty mags issued with the M9.

Nobody wins wars with pistols.  The one we have is fine for what it is, is paid for, and already has the logistics train in place.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nobody wins wars with pistols.  The one we have is fine for what it is, is paid for, and already has the logistics train in place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alot of the M9's I see are just plain worn out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Jesus Christ, this is some project of some colonel trying to make a name for himself when all that will happen is they'll cancel the trials $20M later. Then said dickbag will probably be made General and retire and go to work for one of the gun companies that trialed for him.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I truly hope that they adopt an American brand this time.  Our troops should not have foreign rifles or pistols.
View Quote
Beretta USA is more solvent than Colt Mfg, and has moved out of commie states to Free America to protest the shitty laws.

Seems pretty "Murican" to me.  

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#17]
are we doing this again?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I truly hope that they adopt an American brand this time.  Our troops should not have foreign rifles or pistols.
View Quote

what?
mk25
m9
m249
m240
m3 MAAWS
HK416
m11
G19
G22
AT4
SCAR HEAVY
SCAR LIGHT

prolly more i cant remember....

ALL FOREIGN!!!!!!

FOR FUCK'S SAKE, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE????

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Or they could just stick with the Beretta. It works fine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ, this is some project of some colonel trying to make a name for himself when all that will happen is they'll cancel the trials $20M later. Then said dickbag will probably be made General and retire and go to work for one of the gun companies that trialed for him.
View Quote

No one else appreciates the Fed Gov (haters of civilians having firearms) funding development of guns for civilian purchase?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Or they could just stick with the Beretta. It works fine.
View Quote

But how would they justify these goat rodeos?

More hand-wringing here. Nothing to see, move along folks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#22]
My vote goes for the F-35 bravo.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#23]
We got some pretty neat .45's out of the last stupid pistol program, hopefully this one brings us some neat new 9mm's.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#24]
why reinvent the wheel?

just buy the Glock 17 or 19
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Like cars, most foreign pistols are better than American ones.

Sig, CZ, HK, Walther > S&W, Springfield, Ruger

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#26]
They should just use CZ and forget the rest.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#27]
These threads always turn into popularity contests that ignore reality and costs associated with changing handguns.  

Unless it is a phaser nothing new is going to be adopted service wide for a long time.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Colt needs to enter a DAO double stack 1911 in 9mm.

They can borrow Para Ord's old Tac-Five design.

DoD gets thier 1911 back. Colt gets a lifeline.

Winning.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

We got some pretty neat .45's out of the last stupid pistol program, hopefully this one brings us some neat new 9mm's.
View Quote

That's true, I frigging love my HK45C.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#30]
They should go with the Hi-Power.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Colt needs to enter a DAO double stack 1911 in 9mm.

They can borrow Para Ord's old Tac-Five design.

DoD gets thier 1911 back. Colt gets a lifeline.

Winning.
View Quote

Back in the early '70s Colt had a stainless steel double stacked 9mm based on the Combat Commander called the SSP! If Colt would've offered it they'd be in ally better shape now.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

So far we have the P320 and the VP9. That's a pretty good start.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Winning
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Winning

This... The M11-A1 is NSN numbered (though not issued that I know of) and it would be a great replacement for the M9.  

Not going to happen though, as some limp dick faggot wants a safety... Not that the thumb safety you can get on an M&P is worth a shit, you breathe on it or look at it funny and it moves.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

You do realize sunshine, that most of those 'foreign' gun companies now have factories in the US, right?

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Smith&Wesson to supply the M&Ps and General Dynamics to grease the right palms.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This... The M11-A1 is NSN numbered (though not issued that I know of) and it would be a great replacement for the M9.  

Not going to happen though, as some limp dick faggot wants a safety... Not that the thumb safety you can get on an M&P is worth a shit, you breathe on it or look at it funny and it moves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winning

Have you seen the contract requirements? No-one knows if it will need a safety. Contrary to popular opinion the M9 contract didn't.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You do realize sunshine, that most of those 'foreign' gun companies now have factories in the US, right?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure he does;  moonbeam.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd love to see an M&P with more texture on the grip, a better trigger like what is on the shield or the APEX trigger, better reset, and with the thumb safety model, it should be safe enough.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Winning

CID and MPI carry the M11. Don't know who else.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
what?

snip

ALL FOREIGN!!!!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

what?

snip

ALL FOREIGN!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry_Amendment
We shouldn't have foreign equipment unless there is no other option.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or they could quit dickin' around, and   buy   a bunch of M11/ P229 G19, Which are already  NSN numbered, in production, and the   manuals and  and armory infrastructure is already in place.

P-07 is already better and cheaper, if you are going to use something foreign.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They should just use CZ and forget the rest.
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
why reinvent the wheel?

just buy the Glock 17 or 19
View Quote

Cause then they would have to install safeties.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They should just use CZ HK and forget the rest.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winning

We have one in my ABCT for the BN Commander.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Beretta is fine

How about developing expandable full metal jacket for fucks sake ... Efmj is proven
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should just use CZ HK and forget the rest.

FIFY

Usp 9

Case closed, has all the safe features the army wants
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or not
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

P-09.  Everyone needs a P-07 on steroids.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Why not just use the Sig P220 in 45 ACP or use a 10mm handgun?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top