Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/25/2014 7:17:02 PM EDT
I was in the market for a tool box, something decent without breaking the bank.
I've been looking on and off but everything I saw was either junk or way over priced.

I had heard others say that the Harbor Freight tool boxes were a good deal.
They sure look better than a lot of the other ones out there and for a better price.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of their big ones and the thing is awesome haven't had any problems with it. The price they are asking is a steal compared to Snap on Tool boxes which seem the same construction. Mine has the dual roller bearing drawings and slide out smoothly when full of tools.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one of their big ones and the thing is awesome haven't had any problems with it. The price they are asking is a steal compared to Snap on Tool boxes which seem the same construction. Mine has the dual roller bearing drawings and slide out smoothly when full of tools.
View Quote

Sounds like the same box I have, well built, solid and smooth operating drawers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the general ones. It holds my tools, not sure what else to say about it...
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Then sell on CL, profit.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The US General tool boxes are a very good tool box for the price, their other brand - not so much.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#7]
If you make your living with your tools, and tend to treat shit like one of the Samsonite apes (throwback reference), then a Snap-On makes sense.

For holding tools, a Harbor Freight box is more than up to the job.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Weekend wrencher....
I have the HF US General $370 tool box....think I paid $300 on a sale.

Great box, great reviews.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The US General tool boxes are a very good tool box for the price, their other brand - not so much.
View Quote

This,they are pretty damn good for the money!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I have three of the US General bottom boxes.  My machinist-box has an insane amount of weight in it.  That one was regularly moved from machine to machine.  Not one problem.

Other guys in the shop started buying them after seeing mine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a thread floating around the interwebs of a guy that went around to all the different big box and tool stores checkout out their boxes.  HF literally had the best box out there that wasn't Snap-On/Matco/Mac.  Nothing came even close.  But that's for their red boxes.  The black ones aren't that great.

ETA: Found the thread:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153445
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Check the Flyer for deals.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought one for each of my employees labs, all of my guys love them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd use one at home, not at work. When you're in and out of drawers several times a day and loading them with a significant amount of weight, the HF, and even Craftsman boxes don't hold up.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#16]
The Red ones are much smoother and durable than the Black ones. They are also 2-3x the price.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Looking for a bigger tool box,  looked at the HF ones a couple times,  they really seem like a decent box at a great price.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got one and worked out of it 5 days a week for the last 8 yrs.  The drawer slides are still GTG,  and I only paid $250 for it, on sale.

Great box for the price!!!

Edit:    It's the US general red box.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought one of the side boxes (7 drawer cabinet) for some extra room. It was like 200 bucks and I'm pretty happy with it. Especially since the snap on was like 1800.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#20]
The red ones are gtg. Costco has a couple in store that I like too.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#21]
http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-carts/580-lb-capacity-four-drawer-tool-cart-95659.html

Got this one for $109 by stacking coupons and specials.

Even the cash register clerk was shocked at the price.

It is very solid.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I have the red 44" and it's done the job of holding my tools for 4+ years now.  I would not believe the weight rating of the box as they probably arrived at the rating number by adding the max load rate of all the caster's and not what the steel box can hold safely.  Pushing the box around full of tools seems like it can tip over at any time.  My Craftsman boxes are better quality, thicker steel in the main frame and drawers, and better paint.  I measured the thicknesses with my dial indicators and the Craftsman was thicker.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have one of their big ones and the thing is awesome haven't had any problems with it.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Check the Flyer for deals.
http://s18.postimage.org/omjbm65nd/hazfra04.jpg
View Quote

Do they have any Meglinating variable intensity multifunction power tools?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd use one at home, not at work. When you're in and out of drawers several times a day and loading them with a significant amount of weight, the HF, and even Craftsman boxes don't hold up.
View Quote

same can be said for almost any box, guys at work have HF, kennedy and snapon box's, the HF ones haven't gotten enough use to make a call on how long they will last. Ive seen kennedy and Snapon boxs break though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Red ones are much smoother and durable than the Black ones. They are also 2-3x the price.
View Quote

i have the black one. It works just fine and is plenty sturdy i dont move it all over the place every day but it holds all my tools just fine.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I have the 44in top and bottom boxes.

Been using them for a couple of years. Far better quality and durability then the Craftsman boxes they were supposed to replace (cost less too).
Supposed to replace because I had more tools then I thought. Craftsman box now holds soldering/electronics stuff and other light duty tools.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#28]

I was given the narrow, 26" version as a gift a few years ago. It is a quality piece for the price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets/26-in-16-drawer-glossy-red-roller-cabinet-combo-67831.html

It was definitely not big enough though, not even close. You're probably not supposed to do this, but I ended up hanging two of their 18" red cabinets off either side of it, with balance/weight supports underneath.

Used the 7 drawer on one side, and the 2 drawer/cabinet thing on the right side.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets/18-in-7-drawer-glossy-red-end-cabinet-for-roller-tool-chest-68785.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets/18-in-glossy-red-end-cabinet-for-roller-tool-chest-68991.html

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#29]
My father has one of the U.S. General Pro boxes, great tool box for the money.

It's nicer than my Craftsman premium grip-latch box that I paid $600 for.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#30]
This is the $370 one I bought a few months back...Paid $300 or $320?
Very good ratings and so far no problems. It does come with drawer liner installed. Stuff is a little slippery and moves around. A little double faced tape fixed that.

Black Friday coupon online shows $320 tomorrow....

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I just kept search CL until I found a box I wanted, ended up with a Kobalt Stainless box.  I was seriously considering the HF boxes, but I don't have location near enough (2 hrs south or 2 hrs southwest), and shipping would have blown any savings...
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#32]

I have this same one. If I were a professional mechanic I could see the drawer bearing slides not holding up after some years of use, but I'm not. Works great for me.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Very good ratings and so far no problems. It does come with drawer liner installed. Stuff is a little slippery and moves around. A little double faced tape fixed that.

<a href="http://s85.photobucket.com/user/outdoorgb/media/Automotive/HFtoolbox_zpsc4ef089e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/outdoorgb/Automotive/HFtoolbox_zpsc4ef089e.jpg</a>
View Quote

I've had this one for a while out in the garage. I picked it up after reading all the reviews over at Garage Journal. It has been perfect for the relatively light duty it sees here at the house when working on cars, tractors, and guns.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Do it!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#35]
HF makes some good stuff.  Even their electronics works, they might just break sooner than later.  

Oh, BTW, I have a Kennedy toolbox with matching rolling drawer stand. Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Weekend wrencher....
I have the HF US General $370 tool box....think I paid $300 on a sale.

Great box, great reviews.

View Quote

Pretty sure that's the one I have.  Holds up well for homeowner use.  Not sure I'd depend on it for daily hard use, at least not long term.  For the price, it isn't a bad deal though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#37]
AWESOME!  I have one i purchased with my super coupon.  Works great, drawers slide smooth and casters roll well.  One of the high quality products at HF, along with the low priced Predator Engines.

You're throwing out your money with snap on or Mac boxes.  However, I go Snap-on only with sockets and ratchets.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I've been using the small red 5 drawer one for a while, its been perfect. Going to buy the 44" one soon.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've had this one for a while out in the garage. I picked it up after reading all the reviews over at Garage Journal. It has been perfect for the relatively light duty it sees here at the house when working on cars, tractors, and guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s85.photobucket.com/user/outdoorgb/media/Automotive/HFtoolbox_zpsc4ef089e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/outdoorgb/Automotive/HFtoolbox_zpsc4ef089e.jpg</a>

Same for me.  I used to have three small tool boxes with everything split up.  Now the tools have a home base and I can fill up a small box depending on what I'm working on.  

CHRIS

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Sounds like the same box I have, well built, solid and smooth operating drawers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.  It's an excellent box.  I've never owned a Snap-On box, so I can't compare, but it's better than I need and the price was great.

They were sold out of the bigger box that goes with the bottom section.  I like it though because it gives me a handy place to set things down and store my calipers, multimeters and other tools I use more frequently.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Some, but not all, of the HF boxes have a great reputation. Supposedly better than anything you get from Sears, HD, or Lowes.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#43]
black friday 3 day sale (fir,sat,sun)

1) 44" 13 drawer roller cabinet (weighs 245 lbs, 14,200 cu. in. storage, 2,633 lb capacity) $349.99 (reg. $699.99)
lot # 68784, 69227, 62270 us general.

2) 26" 4 drawer tool cart (580 lb capacity) $99.99 (reg. $279.99)
lot number 95659, 61634, 61952 us general.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Dammit, the pro series ($799) doesn't go on sale.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I have one of the narrow stacking Kobalt boxes in stainless. I am considering getting a bigger box as my collection of tools is growing. I will be looking at one of the US Generals unless I can find a bigger Kobalt stainless box on craigs or something.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Me too.  It's an excellent box.  I've never owned a Snap-On box, so I can't compare, but it's better than I need and the price was great.  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=70657

They were sold out of the bigger box that goes with the bottom section.  I like it though because it gives me a handy place to set things down and store my calipers, multimeters and other tools I use more frequently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=70657

I have the bottom one. Pretty legit
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you even 20% coupon, bro?

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got 2 of these

I'm tempted to get a 3rd

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

It will go on sale for sale just keeping watching it till December.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even 25% coupon, bro?

Print and save.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top