Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/24/2014 2:03:51 PM EDT
Let's talk about M.R.E.'s.

Whether you served in the mid 80's when they first came out, if you are currently serving, or if you never served but purchased surplus M.R.E.'s for hunting/camping trips, SHTF,  or just
because you wanted to taste one.

What was the one item in an M.R.E. that made you feel like you had won the lottery on the rare occasions that you got it?

What was the item that you hated?

What was your favorite M.R.E. recipe where you mixed two or more MRE's together in a canteen cup to form some kind of MRE casserole?

My favorite main item was Meatballs and BBQ Sauce.

Favorite side item was dehydrated strawberries that I only got once or twice.

Least favorite was Pork Chow Mein.

My favorite canteen cup concoction was crushed crackers or crumbled pound cake, peanut butter, grape jelly, creamer, and water.

Pass the chocolate covered cookies and post yours.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, BBQ meatballs.  Next was beef stew w/jalapeno cheese spread.

Worst were tuna casserole, potatoes are rotten, and the five fingers of death.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Favorite main meal: Chili Mac

Favorite side: Jalapeno cheese spread, warmed up and spread on tortillas

Least favorite meal: vegetarian omelet.  Thank god that thing is gone.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Dehydrated beef patty---guaranteed to dehydrate YOU if you ate it.....
I got out in 1987--did they make any GOOD ones?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Ham Slice because you could shove the whole thing in your mouth when the DIs gave you 10 seconds to eat.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#5]
No. 11, Chicken w/rice was my favorite. Mix in cheese sauce, crackers and Tabasco.

Worst was tuna w/noodles.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]
You know, there are actually people in lab coats who cook this shit up, sit down at a table, and eat them at a table to judge them edible or inedible.  

I have often marvelled at this procedure and their idea of what edible is...  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I liked the ham slice, myself.

The dehydrated fruit was awesome stuff. Like fruit crack.

Omelet With Ham was the worst.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Best ever: maple nut cake. It came with Pork with rice in BBQ sauce, which wasnt bad either.
old school guys will remember it. it went away with the dark brown bags.

oatmeal cookie bar was awesome too. not the chocolate covered one, the one that looked like a tiny brick.

worst is any of the new vegetarian ones.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Best:  BBQ Pork and Rice.

Worst:  Ham Omelet.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ham Slice because you could shove the whole thing in your mouth when the DIs gave you 10 seconds to eat.
View Quote

Oh MAN! I forgot about the ham slice!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I loved the little cake bricks.

Worst ever? Country Captain Chicken.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Pound cake!!!! I loved it. Burrito aka the log of death. Buddy warmed his up and it had maggots. I had already eaten mine cold. I'm forever scarred.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Dunno about MRE's, but those motherfucking pork patties in the C-rats didn't even qualify as food. Ate them anyway.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone remember the dehydrated beef patties that came with ketchup powder in the pouch?

Those were awesome if you had the time to rehydrate them and warm them up.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Turkey diced with gravy was my favorite. Pork, rice &bbq sauce was second.

Oatmeal/C-4 bar was terrible.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Does anyone remember the dehydrated beef patties that came with ketchup powder in the pouch?

View Quote
The dehydrated pork pattie was pretty good too

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Omelet  

Loved the corned beef hash and dehydrated AKA Styrofoam peaches.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I loved dehydrated pork patty, with dehydrated ketchup.  I used to have the timing down (but can't remember now).  I would soak it for something like 90 seconds, then pour out the water.  It was still just a little bit crunchy inside.  Then pour the ketchup powder on it one bite at a time.  The sugar in the ketchup was crunchy, too.

Frankfurters and bean component was always pretty good.

I loved omelet with ham when it came out.  I swear there was almost 10 days when I ate nothing but omelet with ham & Tabasco sauce.  Funny, it smells no different coming out!

My only recipe was spaghetti and meat sauce, cheese spread, and crushed up crackers all stirred together.  
Sometimes I try to relive the glory days with canned spaghetti, a slice of american cheese, and saltines all mushed together.  Just not the same, though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Fav: ham slices
Least: pork patty
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Beef enchilada
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Best- Chili Mac
Worst- Omelet

Most Underrated- Turkey with Potatoes in Gravy:  decent entree, but the goodies in it were all top tier.  That MRE is no longer on the menu.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#22]
All time Favorite: Dehydrated Pork Patty (was even better if you had some Ramen to put it in)

Least Favorite: Too many to list
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Everybody always loved the pound cake or the fruit cocktail, but I learned to love seedless blackberry jam from putting the contents of the little can on the John Wayne crackers in the other little can. That was the best thing in C-Rats.

Whoops I'm too old for this thread.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#24]
That "omelet" was completely fucking inedible.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#25]
USAR 1988-1996

My favorite MRE was turkey all king!
Hated anything with "Loaf" in the title.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#26]
My favorite current menu is: Chicken Pesto Pasta.

I hated CCC (Country Captain Chicken)
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Best meal: split between chili mac and spaghetti w/ meatballs.
Best side: chocolate chip brownie

Worst meal: Veggie omelet.
Worst side: Veggie crackers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Corned beef hash was my favorite.

The worst was any of the "omlets".
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When my best friend was in Kuwait during Desert Storm, they had a small sandbagged bunker called "The Bistro".

They had it lit up with a string of Christmas lights and a truck battery.

Guys in his platoon would bring him a can of Copenhagen or a pack of smokes and he would cook up their MRE's and spice them up with seasonings, noodles, peppers and hot sauce sent to him in care packages.

One of his most popular menu items was Pork patty and ramen.

The funniest part of that story is, my buddy was a master chef with MRE's in the field , but to this day, he is a total disaster in a kitchen.

The only thing he can cook that is fit to eat is scrambled eggs.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Best is a tie between Chicken & Noodles with crushed crackers and jalapeno cheese. Or Pork Rib patty with BBQ sauce.

The key to MREs was to always heat them up. If I didn't have time to heat them up I'd just stick the sides and heat up the main meal later.

The worst is by far Sausage gravy with biscuits. Just, no.

Canteen-cake is awesome though. Take a chocolate pudding powder, chocolate peanut butter, crushed crackers, crushed pound cake and trail mix. Throw everything in a canteen cup with enough water mixed in to look like brownie batter, cover and let it sit on the engine of a vehicle for about 30 minutes. It becomes a fudgy brownie like cake mass of awesome.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Fav: meatballs

Only if I'm about to starve to death: Veggie omelet.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#32]
My favorite was "chicken with salsa" actually make chicken and salsa at home(from chicken from store, and salse same),  and lemon pound cake.

least favorite, Mexican rice, WTF people cook it, it is always uncooked hard rice.

Always got a kick out of "pretzel snacks with cheese nacho" AKA combos, but we cant call them that so they are "pretzel snacks with cheese, nacho flavor"
Always wanted them to put a comic strip or cool story(aka audi murphy, or sgt York), on the back of a package, it would be AWESOME for the 10 minutes you were eating, and not like you needed to know how much vitamin b9, and thymine what was actually in the "food" you were eating , but an awesome "Msgt FSJDW2, parachuted out of a falling tank onto 93 Taliban troops while armed with only a Leatherman(cuz swiss army knives are Swiss, Leatherman's are made in Oregon), and single handedly butchered 90 of them before recapturing an M4 carbine and felling the last 3...  for his actions MSGT Fsjdw2 was awarded the flying spaghetti monster cross of legendary awesomeness..."

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Chicken à la King  all time favorite ,   this wasn't a meal  but they had self stable bread.    and when we needed to stop light or wind getting threw somewhere we used 3 parts bread, 1 part sand, 2 parts water   and mixed , spread and let dry.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#34]
The best entree was beef pot roast which I think was replaced by the slightly inferior beef stew. The best side is, without a doubt, spice pound cake. The worst entree is the maple flavored pork patty. Blech.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#35]
The vast majority of my MRE experience was in Korea in 2000.  1 week out of every month, 2 cases of MREs, bon appetit.  After 2 exercises worth of that, started grilling up about 5 lbs of chicken breasts before the exercises, then about halfway through my year there it either came to pass or was revealed to us that the chow hall was open for business during the exercise.  It was worth the extra walk, even in MOP gear.

I tended to like the things I could pocket and eat on the go without too much hassle.  Ham slice, and as someone called them, the 5 Fingers of Death.  I had an iron stomach then, they didn't phase me.  

Anything mushy?  Fuuuuuck no.  None of the ala King crap, and definitely nothing with tuna or fish of any sort.

To those of you who've served in less hospitable environs where it's MREs for months, I offer you a sincere salute and thank you for enduring that hardship in defense of liberty.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Chicken a-la-king was best.  

Cardboard meatloaf was worst.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#37]
My favorite was the peanut butter and the crackers.

Least was tuna mac
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I actually liked the older brown 1980-90's MRE's over the new ones, new ones have greater variety but they still mostly suck except for the Jalapeno cheese spread and newer crackers.

Beef Stew, Ham Slice, Corned beef hash were my favorites.

Omelet and FF's of Death are/were the worse.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Ham slice or patty sucked. Had to heat them up for them to taste any good. I used plenty of rocks or somethings. I loved how you could break your teeth on the John Wayne cookie bar. Used to trade the locals the sucky ones for chicken cheese ramen. Nice on a cold ass Korean winter day. Sometimes I try some from my storage. Memories brought back by crapy food.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I've only had a few MRE's,but the Chili Mac is pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Chili Mac.

Freeze dried peaches.

Oatmeal cookie bar.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I liked the potato cakes that sort of resembled McDonald's hash browns
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#43]
The cheese spread. The worst garbage was that fucking omelet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The cheese spread. The worst garbage was that fucking omelet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

the omelet with ham, heated up, + cheese spread wasn't bad.  Of course, they changed that MRE to one of the jelly's just to spite me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Chili Mac.

Freeze dried peaches.

Oatmeal cookie bar.
View Quote

I came here to post exactly this! Especially the freeze dried peaches...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#46]
For some reason, I absolutely loved the "Cheese" Spread on the cracker.  No idea why, I just did
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I loved the little cake bricks.

Worst ever? Country Captain Chicken.
View Quote

My guys who have served all despise country captain chicken.   It has quite the back story in the field just hearing them bitch about it
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#48]
apple jelly sucked.  I liked the tortellini or pasta in one of the Vegetarian meals.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Beef stew, cheese tortellini, corned beef hash.

Ham & chicken loaf, beef in barbecue sauce, all omelets ever.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Best: Chicken Pesto Pasta.

Worst: Veggie Omelet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top