Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/24/2014 1:15:34 PM EDT
24 November, 2014

The Dutch central bank said Friday it is repatriating some of its gold reserves from the U.S., making it the latest central bank in Europe to address public concerns about the safety of its gold in the wake of the eurozone debt crisis.

anyone else feel a tingle down their leg?

As the debate regarding whether or not Switzerland should keep the bulk of its gold reserves at home on Swiss soil reaches it's climax - the referendum takes place on Sunday - it is telling that the Dutch announced on Friday that they have just secretly repatriated 122 tonnes of their sovereign gold reserves from New York back to Amsterdam.

The gold, worth $5 billion at today's prices, represents 20% of the Netherlands total reserves. It now keeps 31% of its reserves in Amsterdam. Another 31% is believed to be in New York, with the remainder spread between Ottawa and London - the same locations where the bulk of Swiss gold is purported to be stored.

The trend towards gold repatriation began with Hugo Chavez bringing Venezuelan gold back to Caracas in 2011.  It has been followed by similar moves  by other large gold owning nations and central banks, most notably, Germany.

the US denied the German request to repatriate a much larger amount, requiring Germany to space it out over time.

The repatriation movement has been driven by suspicion that the Federal Reserve and other central banks may have leased or sold gold it was holding on behalf of other countries to bullion banks and that this gold may have been used in order to suppress the price of gold in recent years.

Bizarrely, the Federal Reserve’s gold holdings have not been audited in over 50 years.

The last audit, and the last public visit, was in 1953, just after U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower took office. No outside experts were allowed during that audit, and the audit team tested only about 5% of gold there. So, there hasn’t been a comprehensive audit of Fort Knox in over 60 years.......................

-more-
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
US: "Oh, you want your gold back? Isn't that cute. How about fuck off?"
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I did/do feel a slight tingle!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like your Gold, you can keep your Gold!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Why the fuck did the US allow Hugo Chavez to get back the gold... oh yeah Marxist in office and all that.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
If those were boxes of .22LR that would look like my basement.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
So you are saying I should buy gold?

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
interesting
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Bigger question to me is, why are any of these countries having the US, or anyone else, hold THEIR gold?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Every time we have one of these threads it boggles my mind how many Americans seem to think we should steal the gold.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bigger question to me is, why are any of these countries having the US, or anyone else, hold THEIR gold?
View Quote

Germany. No one trusts them, even today they are shady.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because for 50 years there was a threat of Russians flooding west. That threat ended and no one saw a reason to change (gold is expensive to move and protect) so there it sat.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Is this message brought to you by Goldline?

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]

That's the only sort that is going to really grow in value.  (And that is good ammo, too.)
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
US: "Oh, you want your gold back? Isn't that cute. How about fuck off?"
View Quote

Its already back in the country, what's actually in the gold bars might be more important part
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because for 50 years there was a threat of Russians flooding west. That threat ended and no one saw a reason to change (gold is expensive to move and protect) so there it sat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, thats a solid reason.  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because the Western Allies were pretty sure the Soviets wouldn't give it back after WWIII.

The good news is that IS will put it to good use when these countries surrender.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#18]
It is kind of crazy when you think that $5 Billion worth of gold is 20% of the reserves of the country.  The Swiss basically only have $25 Billion worth of gold.  Crazy.  That is not that much money.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#20]
That's a shit ton of gold.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#21]
IN before the inevitable "Goldcore.com? "  as ARFcom only acknowledges MSNBC as the only source for accurate news coverage.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it was about 15% of the national  bank's reserve
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Note to self:

122 Tonnes = 1 shit ton.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I can audit that for ya!

Gold-Fingah!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Ah, a man of fine taste in classic movies.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]
we should get an arfcom group up and invade Venezuela and take their gold, and oil.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't understand this either.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure about the taste, but GF is one of the best Bond flicks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
we should get an arfcom group up and invade Venezuela and take their gold, and oil.
View Quote

They've been convinced for decades that the USA is somehow chomping at the bit to invade them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...along with Dr. No and From Russia With Love.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Every time we have one of these threads it boggles my mind how many Americans seem to think we should steal the gold.
View Quote

Consider how many Americans can barely save a nickel.

Lots of zero-sum thinkers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Agree with Bama-Shooter.  There is no gold in Fort Knox.  It's been leased out or stolen, just like the Germans' gold.

The US dollar is so vulnerable in so many ways.  Prime interest rate increase by the Fed will destroy the derivatives, stock, bond and housing market.  China could announce it is dumping its treasuries.  Saudi Arabia could announce it will accept either Yuan or Ruble for its oil.  Then over $15 trillion dollars come flooding home.

Regarding gold, Dr. Paul Craig  Roberts discusses how and why its manipulated down and two reasons why Germany didn't its gold back in this interview:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kokom5MeH8o

Use the time they give you wisely.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Being a country that's 99% impossible in effectively invade and having one of the worlds largest military makes it the safest place to store it.

Well that is until you come to understand that there ARE no government ran banks in america and there all privately held, and the government truly has no say on what they do with the stuff you store there.

The store your gold in the US is one of the longest running scams in human history outside of most religions.

Just like the US money scam, the USD is fake money it has no value there's nothing backing it. Well besides the military.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Being a country that's 99% impossible in effectively invade and having one of the worlds largest military makes it the safest place to store it.

Well that is until you come to understand that there ARE no government ran banks in america and there all privately held, and the government truly has no say on what they do with the stuff you store there.

The store your gold in the US is one of the longest running scams in human history outside of most religions.

Just like the US money scam, the USD is fake money it has no value there's nothing backing it. Well besides the military.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All money is fake. It's just an idea. Even gold itself has no real value, unless people believe it does. Outside of industrial uses.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

All money is fake. It's just an idea. Even gold itself has no real value, unless people believe it does. Outside of industrial uses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Take breast implants instead of nylons to barter with the chicas
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://barnapkinmemoirs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/picard-facepalm.jpg

Go on. Show me how the money in your pocket or the numbers on your bank account are worth if people had zero confidence in the currency.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

And women.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Gold is expensive. Found this pic.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Gold Bond Powder, you are a friend of mine.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#46]
All the gold that's (supposedly) in Fort Knox is but a tiny fraction of our $17trillion debt.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silver and Gold have always been the "real" money throughout history.  The reason? There's no way to create/manufacture new gold/silver.  There is a finite amount on Earth and not a lot of it like aluminum for example.  Until humans figure out a way of modifying compounds and elements to make new gold/silver on the atomic level then it will always be worth something.  Gold/Silver also have unique physical properties that a lot of other metals don't have.

But yea, if everybody all of a sudden decided that gold/silver didn't matter then it wouldn't be "worth" a damn thing...that will never happen though :)
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Silver and Gold have always been the "real" money throughout history.  The reason? There's no way to create/manufacture new gold/silver.  There is a finite amount on Earth and not a lot of it like aluminum for example.  Until humans figure out a way of modifying compounds and elements to make new gold/silver on the atomic level then it will always be worth something.  Gold/Silver also have unique physical properties that a lot of other metals don't have.

But yea, if everybody all of a sudden decided that gold/silver didn't matter then it wouldn't be "worth" a damn thing...that will never happen though :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for actually comprehending my statement. I agree people will always believe in the value of gold and silver, that's why I'm buying it when I can. At the end of the day the US economy is backed up by the US Military, not gold or paper currency.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why the fuck did the US allow Hugo Chavez to get back the gold... oh yeah Marxist in office and all that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The trend towards gold repatriation began with Hugo Chavez bringing Venezuelan gold back to Caracas in 2011

say it ain't so, W!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#50]
YEEEE  HAAWWW!  Euro buy-out!   Free Mercedes for all U.S. citizens.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top