Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/24/2014 5:05:54 AM EDT
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-captain-of-san-diegobased-warship-relieved-of-duty-20141123-story.html

"The captain of one of the Navy's premier warships has been relieved of command after an investigation found that he routinely used foul and abusive language toward crew members and engaged in inappropriate touching and questioning of women."

"Capt. Wayne Brown was relieved as commander of the San Diego-based amphibious assault ship Boxer after an investigation concluded that he had "lost the respect, trust and confidence of his subordinates" because of his temper and his behavior toward female crew members, according to the investigative report. His behavior included touching and asking crew members whether they were using birth control with their husbands or boyfriends..."

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:16:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Sucks to be that guy
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:22:49 AM EDT
[#2]

The report quotes one sailor - whose name and rank are redacted -
saying that, "Capt. Brown's leadership style is caustic and intimidating
and is something he would consider 'old school' or from the '80s."

The Boxer is designed to take combat Marines and heavy equipment to war zones.
View Quote

Brown was concerned about female sailors and junior officers using birth
control because the ship had lost several crew members who became
pregnant and could not deploy, the report says. But the women were
unnerved by the questioning and thought it was inappropriate, according
to the report.
View Quote

Am I the only one who sees the question as being highly appropriate?

Ensign Sally Jone is in charge of the radio crew. Ensign Sally works with the radio crew for 6 months. The ship gets dispatched out on a mission, but Ensign Sally is knocked up and now we have to find someone else to be in charge of the radio crew and the radio crew has to adjust to a new boss, while on a mission. Seems like a problem to me.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-captain-of-san-diegobased-warship-relieved-of-duty-20141123-story.html

"The captain of one of the Navy's premier warships has been relieved of command after an investigation found that he routinely used foul and abusive language toward crew members and engaged in inappropriate touching and questioning of women."

"Capt. Wayne Brown was relieved as commander of the San Diego-based amphibious assault ship Boxer after an investigation concluded that he had "lost the respect, trust and confidence of his subordinates" because of his temper and his behavior toward female crew members, according to the investigative report. His behavior included touching and asking crew members whether they were using birth control with their husbands or boyfriends..."

View Quote

I wouldn't call an amphibious assault ship a premier ship of the navy.

Anyway Meh...If he did that stuff meh. If he didn't and he getting shafted.. Meh typical.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey, the navy wanted to be one of the "pioneers" of this shit ... I guess they succeeded.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ensign Sally Jone is in charge of the radio crew. Ensign Sally works with the radio crew for 6 months. The ship gets dispatched out on a mission, but Ensign Sally is knocked up and now we have to find someone else to be in charge of the radio crew and the radio crew has to adjust to a new boss, while on a mission. Seems like a problem to me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The report quotes one sailor - whose name and rank are redacted - saying that, "Capt. Brown's leadership style is caustic and intimidating and is something he would consider 'old school' or from the '80s."

Brown was concerned about female sailors and junior officers using birth control because the ship had lost several crew members who became pregnant and could not deploy, the report says. But the women were unnerved by the questioning and thought it was inappropriate, according to the report.

Whats he going to do, force them to take it?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#7]
The article is pretty short on facts. Im wondering what unwanted touching is? It potentially translates into sexual harassment or assault. Those are always interesting investigations.

Getting handsy with the help is just retarded.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The report quotes one sailor - whose name and rank are redacted - saying that, "Capt. Brown's leadership style is caustic and intimidating and is something he would consider 'old school' or from the '80s."

Brown was concerned about female sailors and junior officers using birth control because the ship had lost several crew members who became pregnant and could not deploy, the report says. But the women were unnerved by the questioning and thought it was inappropriate, according to the report.

If they can force me to take an Anthrax vaccine, they should be able to force women to take birth control for mission concerns.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#9]
See ya later, dipshit
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Relieved for harsh language? Seriously?

We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#12]
God knows we don't want any mean people in our military.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Clicked this thread thinking it would be the Cowpens...again.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Women in Navy ship's crew - still a bad idea.
Women in Combat Arms - still a bad idea.

Sorry but it's true. Call me a sexist if it makes you feel better.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Anyway Meh...If he did that stuff meh. If he didn't and he getting shafted.. Meh typical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LHDs are the second largest ships in the Navy...not premier enough for you?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Sure sounds like a impolite man....... wouldn’t want him defending this country.  The folks who tattled on him will be much better at striking fear in our enemies.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
I would use the term: realist.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I agree, it's called planning for a family
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#19]
This is a dupe from 2 days ago
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If they can force me to take an Anthrax vaccine, they should be able to force women to take birth control for mission concerns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude you fell into a gold mine here.

Feminists: birth control and abortion are HEALTH CARE.  Pregnancy, birth control, and abortion are about WOMEN'S HEALTH.  

Military:  Roger that.  We can't have you getting sick while on deployment.  Take this.....this......and also, this.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#21]
After the toilet seat fiasco, the navy named a ship after this bitch?

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Pregnancy to avoid deployment?  Say it isn't so.... never happens.

Deployments should count as points to cutting scores.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have to agree with you. Birth control and the potential for pregnancy directly impacts on readiness and his ability to deploy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Curse like a sailor

Neva bin dun befo
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Interesting ship.   I have not seen those before. It looks like an aircraft carrier for helicopters and similar VTOL type aircraft.

"The USS Boxer (LHD-4) is a Wasp-class amphibious assault ship of the United States Navy. It is the sixth U.S. Navy ship to bear the name, and was named for the original HMS Boxer, which had been captured from the British during the War of 1812."

Source

Not named after a lib.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like the Captain forgot to update to the newest version of PowerPoint.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Interesting ship.   I have not seen those before. It looks like an aircraft carrier for helicopters and similar VTOL type aircraft.

"The USS Boxer (LHD-4) is a Wasp-class amphibious assault ship of the United States Navy. It is the sixth U.S. Navy ship to bear the name, and was named for the original HMS Boxer, which had been captured from the British during the War of 1812."

Source

Not named after a lib.
View Quote

Helicopters, and the stern will free flood for loading and releasing landing craft it carries.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wtf dude. Stop with all the meh shit randomly inserted. It makes you look severely illiterate and no one can read what you're trying to say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wtf dude. Stop with all the meh shit randomly inserted. It makes you look severely illiterate and no one can read what you're trying to say.

I'd say when someone uses meh It just shows their age and them thinking they are smarter and more in touch than others.
Just a big KID in other words.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#29]
He had a tirade for approximately 30 minutes during which time he yelled and pounded his fist on the desk.
View Quote

And?

Inappropriate touching (to be defined) is another thing, but yelling and foul language? Really?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
He had a tirade for approximately 30 minutes during which time he yelled and pounded his fist on the desk.

And?

shuffled ball bearing in his hands.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#31]
WOW, soldiers can't handle abusive language???...  Dayum, they seriously need to grow some thick skin.  This is one of the reasons why I have no confidence in the current standard of our military.  If words hurt this much amongst the unit.  IMO they would not survive one on one/hand to hand combat.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Feminists: birth control and abortion are HEALTH CARE.  Pregnancy, birth control, and abortion are about WOMEN'S HEALTH.  

Military:  Roger that.  We can't have you getting sick while on deployment.  Take this.....this......and also, this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And here I thought women's health was irrelevant when it comes to abortion.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a Navy vet, I agree. If they want women on ships, have a ship or two totally crewed with women.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I wonder if these are trumped up charges to get rid of a fine military officer.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank God there is no chance of Sally Jones being killed or dying on deployment so they don't need to adjust to a new boss.

The correct answer is you train for the possibility challenges you may face.  That would include a planned or unplanned pregnancy of female crew if any.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

As a Navy vet, I agree. If they want women on ships, have a ship or two totally crewed with women.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would get lost.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I think I went to Department Head school with the CAPT. Seems like a solid guy, went from E-1 to O-6. Can't have leaders actually leading though. I actually got in a little bit of a tussle a few years back as an O-4 for using "bad" language. Fuckers should have thanked me for saving their lives from their own reckless stupidity...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that ship would probably be in port at least 50% of the time
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It would get lost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would get lost.

Would stay lost and keep asking for directions 'cause they couldn't figure out the GPS thingy. Russian ships would offer to give them written directions and a map if they would just swing by they office. Boom. Whole crew is now pregnant...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I wonder if these are trumped up charges to get rid of a fine military officer.

View Quote

Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check your privilege and take your common sense else where.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

BAM!  Nailed it.  WTF is this "old school" or like the 80's bullshit?  Oh, you mean when we had very few females and actually had real men in the military who weren't afraid to be a little tough to get the job done?  
I am so glad to be retired, I knew I had to retire because I am too rough around the edges to make it in todays PC services.  All of you who are still in uniform and are able to deal with stuff like this have my utmost respect.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#44]
On large deck amphibs the XO fleets up to CO after about a year and a half. It always alternates between SWO and pilot. The good Captain earned his dismissal by his work as XO.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Sailors using profanity?  Tell me I ain't so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And?

Inappropriate touching (to be defined) is another thing, but yelling and foul language? Really?

And who would have thought that the captain of the navy ship that takes combat Marines into war zones would be profane and brusk?

What is the world coming to?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Thank God there is no chance of Sally Jones being killed or dying on deployment so they don't need to adjust to a new boss.

The correct answer is you train for the possibility challenges you may face.  That would include a planned or unplanned pregnancy of female crew if any.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Disruptions are always a risk, but any leader worth feeding us going to want to reduce the possibilities of disruption. That would probably fall into the category of being his whole job.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why must they interfere with rich military traditions?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And?

This. Sailors sailoring.

If he raped someone, change the charges and hang him. But "Touched" is a very broad term... This case makes it sound like we only want softie men in the military.

I'm thinking of telling my grandfather that sailors now can't cuss or they will be relieved of duty, then film his reaction.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top