User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You do realize it has nothing to do with the math problem.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:Right over the head it went.....

Apparently. AF = BD but depends on how you label it. I have so many labels lying around, at this point AYQ may be a triangle somewhere in there

You do realize there is no math involved other than geometry.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:Right over the head it went.....

Apparently. AF = BD but depends on how you label it. I have so many labels lying around, at this point AYQ may be a triangle somewhere in there

Nevermind.......It was a fine effort Zaphod; I LOL'd

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Did anyone look at my link?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this a trick question? I got X into terms of the 3 other unknown angles and came up with 0=0, which is true, but doesn't that make the problem indeterminate?

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://www.duckware.com/tech/worldshardesteasygeometryproblem.html

My head hurts. I lost this proof at the jump to FG = FD.
View Quote

In his second solution he made a mistake calling angle ADB angle AEB for the known angles. ADB is 40 and AEB is still 30.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The problem is that the four equations are not linearly independent.  See my solution on page 2.

Right now the only solution that I can conceive requires analytic geometry, i.e., write equations for the lines, then calculate the angle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this a trick question? I got X into terms of the 3 other unknown angles and came up with 0=0, which is true, but doesn't that make the problem indeterminate?

http://i61.tinypic.com/2ln7i4y.jpg

The problem is that the four equations are not linearly independent.  See my solution on page 2.

Right now the only solution that I can conceive requires analytic geometry, i.e., write equations for the lines, then calculate the angle.

In the website, the guy throws lines on there and assumes they are those angles. With no linear dimensions and the drawing not being scaled, he can't really do that, can he?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In the website, the guy throws lines on there and assumes they are those angles. With no linear dimensions and the drawing not being scaled, he can't really do that, can he?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which line in particular do you have a problem with?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i feel less stupid now.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The blue lines on the pictures, more specifically the second solution. He is assuming that the triangle is symmetrical about the center vertical axis. Can he do that if he doesn't know the scale or the dimensions of the lines?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We can all get the other angles but those four are the most important and you're not showing how outside of guessing.
View Quote

Well, I started over and came up with 20.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I did, and the same result.  I was able to substitute variables given their other values in terms of a different variable, but ultimately cannot solve for X with the existing angle relationships.  An additional triangle has to be drawn to create additional relationships.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The blue lines on the pictures, more specifically the second solution. He is assuming that the triangle is symmetrical about the center vertical axis. Can he do that if he doesn't know the scale or the dimensions of the lines?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Step 4, then?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I am sorry, I have to go back, I thought the triangle was the same, solved two different ways on the website.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used your drawing with my overlays to show how it can be calculated, no equations involved. End of page 2

Here I'll paste:

Note triangles AGC and AEC are the same. I outline one in blue, the other mostly in red. I didn't break down the angles on the equilateral triangles, those seem obvious. I did mark as many congruent sides as possible.

I'll list the congruent sides: AB = AG = GB = CE (marked in blue,) AC = BC, AE = CG, DG = GF = FD = EF
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://s30.postimg.org/t7htwvp41/image.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can all get the other angles but those four are the most important and you're not showing how outside of guessing.

http://s30.postimg.org/t7htwvp41/image.jpg

There ya go. We were on the same page, all the way to the first incorrect answer. I see you went my route too.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, definition of isosceles triangle (unless I'm misunderstanding your question)
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Doesn't that still leave us with 4 equations and x is indeterminent?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Step 4, then?

Click To View Spoiler

Doesn't that still leave us with 4 equations and x is indeterminent?

No.
We know that:
EFG is 60  and FGE is 60.  Therefore, FE and FG are equivalent lengths.
DFG is 40 and DGF is 40.  Therefore, DF and DG are equivalent lengths.

If you draw that out, you see a kite.  And because it's a kite, we know that we can draw a line from FDG to FEG and bisect the shape, producing two equivalent triangles.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't understand a couple things you did.

1, how did you construct right angle DFE?  And 2, how is Triangle DFE isosceles?

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Don't ask about geometry in GD. These motherfuckers think a tesseract has infinite sides because a movie director said so.
View Quote
Fuck you and your big words.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

1, how did you construct right angle DFE?  And 2, how is Triangle DFE isosceles?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I made a typo in the notes.
DEG is an isosceles.
Anyhow, the right angle in DFE is made by dividing line BC in half which can be done using a compass like so:

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

DEG is an isosceles.
Anyhow, the right angle in DFE is made by dividing line BC in half which can be done using a compass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DEG is an isosceles.
Anyhow, the right angle in DFE is made by dividing line BC in half which can be done using a compass.

"Not to scale" means you can't rely on any physical representation.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DEG is an isosceles.

I promise to use only my imaginary compass from now on.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://s11.postimg.org/pj25annzn/imaginary_compass.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DEG is an isosceles.

http://s11.postimg.org/pj25annzn/imaginary_compass.jpg

That's better.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Any more thoughts on this?

I've come to the conclusion that this is a problem with insufficient constraints.
I can define every angle in the picture, either with an actual value or a derived value based on X.
If you call "F" the point where AE and BD cross, then:

DEF = X
EDF = 130 - X
CDE = X + 10
CEF = 150 - X

All the other angles have numeric values that are easily calculated as others have shown.

Based on the derivations above, X can be any value  < 130 degrees (to keep all the values positive).  There is nothing else to constrain it.
I think what's lacking is the length of at least one of the line segments.   Or maybe I'm missing something else here.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:25:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did anyone look at my link?
View Quote

Yup. I love seeing all the bullshit answers after the solution was provided.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

DEG is an isosceles.

Anyhow, the right angle in DFE is made by dividing line BC in half which can be done using a compass like so:

http://s2.postimg.org/uhf8ad7e1/bisectual.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DEG is an isosceles.

Understood on the typo.

Regarding DFE, I don't think you can draw a right angle to FE, and logically expect that it touches point D.  It LOOKS like it touches point D, but there is no way to prove or construct it that way.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Understood on the typo.

Regarding DFE, I don't think you can draw a right angle to FE, and logically expect that it touches point D.  It LOOKS like it touches point D, but there is no way to prove or construct it that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DEG is an isosceles.

Understood on the typo.

Since BCD has 20 degree angles on two corners, it is an isosceles triangle and by bisecting BC, a right angle is created. This would not only split the side (BC) in half, but also the triangle BCD. The line DF also splits the angle at D in half and intersects precisely at D. That right angle (F) remains a right algle in DEF.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've come to the conclusion that this is a problem with insufficient constraints.
I can define every angle in the picture, either with an actual value or a derived value based on X.

DEF = X
EDF = 130 - X
CDE = X + 10
CEF = 150 - X

All the other angles have numeric values that are easily calculated as others have shown.

Based on the derivations above, X can be any value  < 130 degrees (to keep all the values positive).  There is nothing else to constrain it.
I think what's lacking is the length of at least one of the line segments.   Or maybe I'm missing something else here.
View Quote

Refer to my last post with diagram. You have to add lines (that conform to standard geometric theorems/laws) When you do, you can surmise the rest of the angles, legitimately. The red lines in my diagram were the ones I added. I bisected the main triangle ABC, also created a parallel line to AB that I labeled DF I believe. Also, made a reflected but equal line AF that is the same as BD. Once you add those lines, you can surmise the rest from there. I even marked congruent sides based upon the angles opposite to show you how I got those angles.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't understand how anyone believes a solution using a graphics engine thinks it satisfies the original question.  I constructed a solution in about a minute, but that doesn't mean I answered the question with a general geometry solution.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s29.postimg.org/63aijh287/image.jpg

I don't understand how anyone believes a solution using a graphics engine thinks it satisfies the original question.  I constructed a solution in about a minute, but that doesn't mean I answered the question with a general geometry solution.

You were on the right track. I used a pen and paper, no ruler so it looks all crooked. Doesn't matter as it isn't to scale. Just add the red lines I did above and you'll see you can create congruent lines and triangles and equilateral triangles which are all crucial to solving for X.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Refer to my last post with diagram. You have to add lines (that conform to standard geometric theorems/laws) When you do, you can surmise the rest of the angles, legitimately. The red lines in my diagram were the ones I added. I bisected the main triangle ABC, also created a parallel line to AB that I labeled DF I believe. Also, made a reflected but equal line AF that is the same as BD. Once you add those lines, you can surmise the rest from there. I even marked congruent sides based upon the angles opposite to show you how I got those angles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DEF = X
EDF = 130 - X
CDE = X + 10
CEF = 150 - X

Why do I have to add lines?   Like I said above,  every angle in the diagram is either easily found or can be derived as a function of X.  Therefore there is no single solution.  If you say X=20, I agree that is a valid solution.  But I argue that X=21, 55, or 87 (the ARFCOM preferred value)  are also all valid.

I don't have means to draw pictures here.  Please humor me.... pick a value for X between 1-129 degrees, and label the original picture (without any added lines) with the resulting values, showing me why it wouldn't work.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Angle x has a finite value determined by the 60 degree and 70 degree lines, and the line that connects their intersections with the sides of the outer triangle.  There is one solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DEF = X
EDF = 130 - X
CDE = X + 10
CEF = 150 - X

Why do I have to add lines?   Like I said above,  every angle in the diagram is either easily found or can be derived as a function of X.  Therefore there is no single solution.  If you say X=20, I agree that is a valid solution.  But I argue that X=21, 55, or 87 (the ARFCOM preferred value)  are also all valid.

I don't have means to draw pictures here.  Please humor me.... pick a value for X between 1-129 degrees, and label the original picture (without any added lines) with the resulting values, showing me why it wouldn't work.

Angle x has a finite value determined by the 60 degree and 70 degree lines, and the line that connects their intersections with the sides of the outer triangle.  There is one solution.

I agree X is finite,  between 1-129 degrees as I showed in my simple equations above.
And yes, X is related to the 60 and 70 degree lines. But I see nothing that limits it to one value.  Try setting it to a random value and show me why it fails.

ETA:  There are four unknown values:

DEF = X
EDF = 130 - X
CDE = X + 10
CEF = 150 - X

I can substitute any X  between 1-129 degrees and produce a valid solution.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s29.postimg.org/63aijh287/image.jpg

The only tool of computer wizardry I used was Photoshop and that was after I believed I'd thought it through in my head to arrive at the answer of 30. When asked how I got that, I tried again and came up with another answer (20), then checked it against other angles so I made another drawing. There aren't any fancy math engines in this basement, but occasionally there's an overabundance of free time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:58:06 AM EDT
[#38]
For the next time this shows up.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top