Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/23/2014 4:44:07 PM EDT
I like the Persuader model with the 20" barrel. It would be my first shotgun. I would most likely get one of the Hogue 12" LOP stocks as I am fairly short. (around 5'8")

Could I swap in a 28" barrel and shoot trap/skeet/clays with this shotgun?

Is the 590 worth the extra $120 or so?

Does this 590 have the metal trigger group?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you feel about a tang safety?

That is the only reason I don't like the 500, the safety position drives me crazy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is the only reason I don't like the 500, the safety position drives me crazy.
View Quote

The tang safety doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the main reason I do like the 500......

ETA- To clarify, I like it better than a cross bolt because you push the button in the direction you want the lead to fly, its so simple even I can do it.....
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think they make 28in barrels for the full length magazine.
At least they didn't when I had mine.

Do they still make the Combos that come with two barrels?

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think so.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is there a 28" barrel that fits on that long tube?
View Quote

After looking around I dont think so

ETA:  I could buy this and buy an H&R for $150 to shoot clays
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just couldn't get used to it, especially for hunting, my finger was already on the guard and my thumb was around the back of the stock, so I preferred it on my finger, it's faster for me. Now I am just so used to my 870's/Pardner Pump that I can't go back.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think so.

Only a 6rd tube on those, IIRC, but you'll have a larger selection of barrels.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a mossy 500 I have carried on duty for 30 yrs, beat to hell and back. Cerakoted and sbs it a couple years ago, still in service. Only part ever replaced was the safety; just got weak after all those years on and off. Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Another thing I noticed a few weeks ago about them that I thought was a little annoying is that you can't put a plug in the tube without taking the whole tube off. My friend forgot his duck  hunting so we had to make one from a stick, he unscrewed the tube and the whole thing about shot into the drink, there were parts all over the place. With an 870 you just pull the cap and all you have to worry about is the spring and cap, the tube and barrel can stay on the gun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have an h and R defender pump, I think it's tougher than a Remington or Mossberg  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there a 28" barrel that fits on that long tube?

After looking around I dont think so

ETA:  I could buy this and buy an H&R for $150 to shoot clays
I have an h and R defender pump, I think it's tougher than a Remington or Mossberg  

Mine is a tank, it was a bitch to break in though, it didn't rack smooth until at least 200 shots through it at the trap range. Pretty smooth now though as long as I keep the rails clean.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got that exact model (500). It is a great shotgun for HD.

You would have to find a 28" that has the same tube mount. I doubt there is such a barrel.

The 590 has a better trigger assembly. If you were going to use it daily, I would get the 590.  Edit: For most civie HD uses, the 500 will do fine and it isn't a toy. For the post below.

edit: I prefer the tang safety. I have 2 Mossbergs 500 and 930, both have been spot on reliable.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want a Mossberg, get a 590.  The 500 feels like a cheap toy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the 500, a lot!  I have the defender with a light & side saddle as my social shotgun, and 2 other 500s in 12. 1 in 20 and 1 in 410!  The first one I bought on leave between BCT and AIT, at Grants for $90.00.  Still use it, but I have a bunch of other barrels for it.  The longer barrels don;t fit the long magazine.  They do make the combo though, and if you look at the big box stores they go on sale pretty regularly.   Na when I was a cop we had 870s the whole time, so I have a lot of time with both safeties and it's just a matter of getting used to it.  Neither one is better, just different.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you want a Mossberg, get a 590.  The 500 feels like a cheap toy.
View Quote

This. I traded my Persuader towards a 590.
I was quite pleased.

One of these days, I'll get a 590A1.

Aimless, was it you that had a catastrophic failure with a Mossberg safety?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No one listens to me, and I admit I am not a big shotgun fan, but I do have a half dozen or so. If you "have to have" a shotgun, buy the 870 Norinco clone. You can blast off some buckshot and get it out of your system. If you get the urge to hunt, yeah to you have to make a spacer (search m4carbine for instructions) but you can buy a used Remington hunting barrel. That clunky commie shotgun will outlast your grandkids
View Quote

For the price of them you can just get two. The HD model and the Field model, then you have everything you need for about $400 OTD
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:Is the 590 worth the extra $120 or so?
View Quote

Yes.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No one listens to me, and I admit I am not a big shotgun fan, but I do have a half dozen or so. If you "have to have" a shotgun, buy the 870 Norinco clone. You can blast off some buckshot and get it out of your system. If you get the urge to hunt, yeah to you have to make a spacer (search m4carbine for instructions) but you can buy a used Remington hunting barrel. That clunky commie shotgun will outlast your grandkids

For the price of them you can just get two. The HD model and the Field model, then you have everything you need for about $400 OTD
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_263/products_id/14108/New+England+NP1-2S8+PUMP+12GA+28+CTMD+SYN

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_263/products_id/16597/H%26R+72312+Pardner+Pump+Protector+5%2B1+12ga+18.5%22

Mine came to $190 after tax at Walmart. I really can't think of any other guns that solid that come NIB for that money.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Do all 590s come with the metal trigger group?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I think the combos that come with 2 barrels have a shorter magazine tube.

If it is your first shotgun I think the 500 is a good start. I'm 6'1 and for me the speedfeed stock that came on my Mossberg 590 felt too long.  I switched it to a Hogue short LOP and it feels nice, but my thumb is close to my face.  Be careful wrapping your thumb over the grip.  I can't remember all the differences between the 500 persuader and the 590, but I believe some of the differences are the 590 special purpose has a heat shield, bayonet lug, and parkerized finish.  

I believe the Mossberg is slightly more difficult to break down than a Remington 870.  But compared to an Express, the Mossberg seems better at extracting and ejecting spent shells.

The trigger group and the safety on my Mossberg 590 special purpose are both plastic.      

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Get a Mossberg field gun then add This
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Do it. I have around 2500-3000 rounds through my 500 Persuader without a hiccup. That's not a ton, but it's enough to break it in well and get a good feel for how it shoots. The location of the action release and the fact that the loading gate lifts out of your way when you load it (unlike the 870) sealed the deal for me. I have never felt the need for paying extra for a metal trigger group or safety or anything other than a bead sight.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I would buy one with the shorter tube and barrel, you would be surprised at the difference it makes in ease of moving around in your home. Plus the greater selection of barrels
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Which would be best of these 3:

500 Persuader 20" 8 shot

500 combo 18" and 28" barrel 5 shot

590 Special Purpose 20" 8 shot

If the 590 doesn't have a metal trigger group, what is the advantage over the 500?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

sadly. yep the clone is good.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

500 Persuader 20" 8 shot

If the 590 doesn't have a metal trigger group, what is the advantage over the 500?
View Quote

Get the combo. In hind sight, I've never needed 8 rounds, but the option of a longer barrel would make blasting skeet a tad easier.

Then Form 1/SBS the thing and chop down the 18" bbl.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Se to me it is much more intuitive...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Get the combo. In hind sight, I've never needed 8 rounds, but the option of a longer barrel would make blasting skeet a tad easier.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

500 Persuader 20" 8 shot

Leaning towards the combo. I don't currently shoot any clays etc but I'd like the option if I ever decided to.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Another thing I noticed a few weeks ago about them that I thought was a little annoying is that you can't put a plug in the tube without taking the whole tube off. My friend forgot his duck  hunting so we had to make one from a stick, he unscrewed the tube and the whole thing about shot into the drink, there were parts all over the place. With an 870 you just pull the cap and all you have to worry about is the spring and cap, the tube and barrel can stay on the gun.
View Quote

Inaccurate.  They come with, or your can get a wooden plug with two rubber "O"rings near each end.  You just take off the barrel and drop it down in the hole in the mag tube spring retainer.  You just invert the gun without the barrel and shake it until it falls out to remove.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Inaccurate.  They come with, or your can get a wooden plug with two rubber "O"rings near each end.  You just take off the barrel and drop it down in the hole in the mag tube spring retainer.  You just invert the gun without the barrel and shake it until it falls out to remove.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose that makes sense, but his didn't come with one, he made one from a dowel, but installed it the same way as the stick we cut.

Doesn't the skinny one rattle around in there with an empty tube?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Leaning towards the combo. I don't currently shoot any clays etc but I'd like the option if I ever decided to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

500 Persuader 20" 8 shot

I didn't think I would ever shoot them when I bought mine, but one thing led to another and I got hooked a few years later. I make the 20" barrel work, but the longer sight radius of a longer barrel would make life easier. The 20" barrel is decent at a lot of things but not great at anything really. The combo would be more practical IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do all 590s come with the metal trigger group?
View Quote

The 590A1 is the only one that comes with a metal trigger group. It also has a thicker barrel. Thicker is heavier.

The 590 and the 500 come with the polymer trigger group.

You are not losing if you don't have the metal trigger guard.

I bought the 590A1 and if I could go back I would have bought the 590.

The 590A1 is HEAVY.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Probbaly going to get the 18"/28" combo and add a Hogue forend and stock. Might add one the night sight beads to the 18.5" barrel.

Hogue stock and forend set-http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911719/hogue-rubber-overmolded-stock-and-forend-mossberg-500-12-length-of-pull-synthetic-black
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought a 500 when I exited the .mil in 1985, it has been one of, if not the best trouble free weapon I ever owned.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Probbaly going to get the 18"/28" combo and add a Hogue forend and stock. Might add one the night sight beads to the 18.5" barrel.

Hogue stock and forend set-http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911719/hogue-rubber-overmolded-stock-and-forend-mossberg-500-12-length-of-pull-synthetic-black
View Quote

Make sure you can change the foregrip out on that model before you order an aftermarket one. On mine and most newer models (made ~2010ish), the action slide tube and foregrip are all one piece, so I would need to buy something like this before I would be able to swap out the foregrip.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Make sure you can change the foregrip out on that model before you order an aftermarket one. On mine and most newer models (made ~2010ish), the action slide tube and foregrip are all one piece, so I would need to buy something like this before I would be able to swap out the foregrip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would I need the Hogue adapter nut also?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/643889/hogue-forend-adapter-nut-required-for-mossberg-6-3-4-forend-tubes?cm_vc=OBv1643889

Never mind, I see you do.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I would buy a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel and then get the $100 18" barrel to switch out.

The 590 if I remember right needs to use the 28" 835 barrel.

I have the Hoque 12" stock and forend it's pretty nice.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I have the exact model op is looking at, the 20" 8 shot.  The hogue short stock set works really well.  I also added a side saddle for 6 extra rounds and a Burris fast fire red dot.  It's the perfect setup for me, and I've done several training classes with it, and it's also broken it's share of clay.  While maybe not ideal for clay, it does work.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I like the Persuader model with the 20" barrel. It would be my first shotgun. I would most likely get one of the Hogue 12" LOP stocks as I am fairly short. (around 5'8")

Could I swap in a 28" barrel and shoot trap/skeet/clays with this shotgun?

Is the 590 worth the extra $120 or so?<a href="http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/philipdrye/media/4436D65E-7995-40B4-90C2-8F8C7E4D1F9A_zpskfjmgo8p.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y423/philipdrye/4436D65E-7995-40B4-90C2-8F8C7E4D1F9A_zpskfjmgo8p.jpg</a>
View Quote

A persuader 20" 7+1 was my first defensive/tactical shotgun.  I loved it.  Used it in 3gun matches for years until I realized I needed to go semi-auto to break above the top 25% in finishes.

The combo's are always the 5 shot version with the shorter tube, that I have ever seen.

I still have my persuader, its a good defensive shotgun to keep around because of its higher capacity and reliable action.  I love tang safeties, because I am a lefty and you can visibly see them.

That said, I'd probably look around and buy an older Wingmaster if I had to do it all over again.  If you look around, you can find excellent Wingmasters for $400 and good condition ones for $300.  The action on those are smoother, and you can have high capacity tubes via extensions, while having a massive barrel choice available to you.  Plus, its a damned Wingmaster.  They are getting more rare these days to find a nice one.

Alternatively, I'd give a hard look at the Benelli Nova/Supernova.  Lots of options, reliable, takes up to 3.5" shells, easy loading, and Nordic extensions fit as well.

I owned a 590.  It broke before I ever got to shoot it.  Mossberg fixed the busted part, but they are like the 870 express crap made today, with pot metal and not like they used to be.  I was not sad to see it go, the only thing it did any better than the 500 was hold another shell.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would I need the Hogue adapter nut also?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/643889/hogue-forend-adapter-nut-required-for-mossberg-6-3-4-forend-tubes?cm_vc=OBv1643889

Never mind, I see you do.

If you can find an "older" (pre-2009 I believe) 500 that is slightly used, then it should come with a change-able foregrip from the factory. That should only set you back around $250, and it would save you the $40 needed to buy a replacement tube for a newer model.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Have the same shotgun, have only shot a few hundred rounds of the Wally world bulk packs but it does what a shotgun is supposed to.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

500 Persuader 20" 8 shot

View Quote

I'd go with the 5 shot combo.
For me I wouldnt own a shotgun without a tang safety.
I use my 500 for everything.  I have 18' barrel for HD, 28" for all sorts of bird hunting/clays, slug barrel for deer, and muzzle loader  barrel.  
and the trigger group on my 500 is metal nevermind.  no its not  ha
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Get the 590a1.worth the extra $$$$.all metal,built like a tank.i just got 1 from psa.really happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would buy a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel and then get the $100 18" barrel to switch out.

The 590 if I remember right needs to use the 28" 835 barrel.

I have the Hoque 12" stock and forend it's pretty nice.
View Quote

I bought the combo that came with a the BSA scope. I spent $30 extra to get the wood over the plastic. The plastic just felt cheap.
Field barrel is 28 and rifled slug barrel is 24.   I also got the 18.5 from Midway.
I picked the Mossberg over the Remmington because of the safety. I'm left handed.
Was out skeet shooting today with it. (First time for me with a shotgun) Tried both 28 and 18 barrels: actually prefer the 18.
The trigger group is plastic and the tube holds 5. It has the changeable cheek rest. (not sure if I like that)
There is a dowel with o-rings for the rifled tube. Barrel change is simple: move the slide halfway and unscrew the tube end, install the new one.

I may have to send it in because the slide is catching and stopping about 1/2" short and not allowing the next round out of the tube.
I field stripped it and it seems to be caused by the cartridge stop but I can't determine how. If I rack it hard it goes.
Stopped at the store to check some others and they function fine. Pretty much why I don't play cards.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I had a couple persuaders back in the day nice guns, pretty easy to swap out the pistol grip for a buttstock same goes for the barrels.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I suppose that makes sense, but his didn't come with one, he made one from a dowel, but installed it the same way as the stick we cut.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it does.  Not uncommon in a number of other shotguns too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top