Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I saw a nurse lose her job from running off at the mouth like that.  Patient was transferred from an outlying facility for an acute MI (they didn't have a cath lab).  The receiving nurse cavalierly starts in with "Well!  They sure took their sweet ole' time getting you here!  That took way too long.  You're lucky to be alive!"  etc, etc.  

The patient was extremely upset.  She started making malpractice noises, risk management got involved, the nurses' statements got back to the Cardiologist (who hit the ceiling), there was a conversation with the CNO...   I never saw that nurse again.

If you weren't there, and weren't involved in the care, the rule is that you keep your mouth shut.  You don't know why anything was done, you don't know IF if went down like the patient said, and you have no business stirring up the sharks... and if you make yourself a party to a case, you're going to get pulled into the case to testify, whether you want to or not.  You may be forced to testify under oath against your own boss, or group, or hospital, or a friend of your boss/group/hospital.  Good luck getting another job.  Still want to offer your two cents?

For those who oh-so-blithely say "sue 'em," I recommend spending 4-5 years of their life defending themselves from a lawsuit, and trying not to lose everything they've ever worked for in the process.  When the bitter realization finally dawns on them that it almost doesn't matter if they did the right thing, I'd like to see the look on their face.  They're going to spend six figures defending themselves regardless.  Even if they eventually prevail... the depos, the interrogatories, the rescheduling, the loss of sleep, the stress, the reputation hit, the mediation, the trial, etc...  Even if you win, you still lose.  The process is the punishment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, announcing that someone committed malpractice based on some sketchy info on a forum already was escalated. It was well outside his lane to comment anyway. Should any of this information be somehow relatable and identifiable, there is an element of defamation.

Accusing someone publicly of malpractice is a very significant deal, and one that I've seen escalate through medical staff disciplinary channels.

Also, OP, which part of Idaho? I know a doctor or two in that state. Depending on when & where you had your surgery, there's a small chance we may have crossed paths.

I saw a nurse lose her job from running off at the mouth like that.  Patient was transferred from an outlying facility for an acute MI (they didn't have a cath lab).  The receiving nurse cavalierly starts in with "Well!  They sure took their sweet ole' time getting you here!  That took way too long.  You're lucky to be alive!"  etc, etc.  

The patient was extremely upset.  She started making malpractice noises, risk management got involved, the nurses' statements got back to the Cardiologist (who hit the ceiling), there was a conversation with the CNO...   I never saw that nurse again.

If you weren't there, and weren't involved in the care, the rule is that you keep your mouth shut.  You don't know why anything was done, you don't know IF if went down like the patient said, and you have no business stirring up the sharks... and if you make yourself a party to a case, you're going to get pulled into the case to testify, whether you want to or not.  You may be forced to testify under oath against your own boss, or group, or hospital, or a friend of your boss/group/hospital.  Good luck getting another job.  Still want to offer your two cents?

For those who oh-so-blithely say "sue 'em," I recommend spending 4-5 years of their life defending themselves from a lawsuit, and trying not to lose everything they've ever worked for in the process.  When the bitter realization finally dawns on them that it almost doesn't matter if they did the right thing, I'd like to see the look on their face.  They're going to spend six figures defending themselves regardless.  Even if they eventually prevail... the depos, the interrogatories, the rescheduling, the loss of sleep, the stress, the reputation hit, the mediation, the trial, etc...  Even if you win, you still lose.  The process is the punishment.

Ease up, sparky. It's not a justice system, it's a legal system. All professions deal with it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Nu Gauze?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
1.  Tie string to gauze

2.  Tie other end to door

3.  Slam door

4.  Rub dirt on it

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

C'mon OP, you're giving Idaho a bad rep!  

btw...What part of Idaho?  I had surgery last Monday to fix a herniated disc.  I'll be out of work for quite a while and my post count will likely double.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, the OP is useless for not posting pics...

you guys really need to stop posting shit in these treads unless the OP provides pic's.

I agree, OP is a jerk for not posting a pic of a partially healed incision with a small piece of white material protruding from it (I promise, if it looked like a zombie bite I would go to the trouble!).  Resolution was simple, probably a suture, will stop screwing with it.

btw...What part of Idaho?  I had surgery last Monday to fix a herniated disc.  I'll be out of work for quite a while and my post count will likely double.

SE, If you're close I'll buy you a beer, or a caffeine free Mountain Dew!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Odds are that the OP will ignore any real medical advice. Then he will either:1. Do nothing until his next doc visit.
2. Get half lit then grab some needlenose pliers and pull it out, then go
to the ER to see if they can fix the damage.

View Quote

Half? If I get lit, I'm blastin' off baby!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well, announcing that someone committed malpractice based on some sketchy info on a forum already was escalated. It was well outside his lane to comment anyway. Should any of this information be somehow relatable and identifiable, there is an element of defamation.

Accusing someone publicly of malpractice is a very significant deal, and one that I've seen escalate through medical staff disciplinary channels.

Also, OP, which part of Idaho? I know a doctor or two in that state. Depending on when & where you had your surgery, there's a small chance we may have crossed paths.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude thats some medical malpractice shit right thur! But seriously thats some fucked up shit, mate. That is straight up negligence on everyone in that OR because they do make counts of what goes in and what goes out. Not trying to freak you out, but that is a serious risk for infection which could lead to sepsis. Go into the ED, have them take a look, lawyer up, and enjoy the money that you will receive from the lawsuit!

-Cardiac/Transplant ICU RN

F*cking choke yourself... if any of your attendings see that, you'll be looking for a new line of work.    

I hope you get sued.  

Yes.  I'm quite serious.

Well, that escalated quickly.

I'm not suing unless I lose the arm, lol.  You know Dr. Casey Huntsman?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Come see me.  I'm trained in the arts of civil war medicine.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ease up, sparky. It's not a justice system, it's a legal system. All professions deal with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't know much about med mal and "defamation per se" in the medical field, do you? Because you certainly sound ignorant of the disruption it causes, which tends to be a more significant personal and professional bombshell than most other professions. People often initiate med mal cases in hopes of getting the jackpot judgement.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hey, without trying to Arock you, do you remember what your anesthesiologist looked like or any particular jokes he/she may have made?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you guys really need to stop posting shit in these treads unless the OP provides pic's.

I agree, OP is a jerk for not posting a pic of a partially healed incision with a small piece of white material protruding from it (I promise, if it looked like a zombie bite I would go to the trouble!).  Resolution was simple, probably a suture, will stop screwing with it.

Hey, without trying to Arock you, do you remember what your anesthesiologist looked like or any particular jokes he/she may have made?

When I asked if I could have morphine or another nerve block he said, "Get both."  I replied "9mm or 45 ACP?" but was out before he responded...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
I wouldn't take something like this lightly and casually like you seem to be.

TGM is on the money.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude thats some medical malpractice shit right thur! But seriously thats some fucked up shit, mate. That is straight up negligence on everyone in that OR because they do make counts of what goes in and what goes out. Not trying to freak you out, but that is a serious risk for infection which could lead to sepsis. Go into the ED, have them take a look, lawyer up, and enjoy the money that you will receive from the lawsuit!

-Cardiac/Transplant ICU RN

F*cking choke yourself... if any of your attendings see that, you'll be looking for a new line of work.    

I hope you get sued.  

Yes.  I'm quite serious.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Nah, wrong side of the state. I might take you up on the Diet Dew offer, though, since we don't have it here. I drink enough of the caffeinated stuff that it would be nice to have some unleaded to drink at night. For whatever reason, they have it in SE Idaho and nice grocery stores on the western side of St. Louis.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Don't be stupid. Do it yourself = no proof the doc did anything wrong.  Go to the E.R. = you getting paid for malpractice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
At this hour I'd go to the ER.

Seriously.

Now.

No infection, just a foreign body in my arm.  I'm still working on getting enough out to take pliers to it.

Don't be stupid. Do it yourself = no proof the doc did anything wrong.  Go to the E.R. = you getting paid for malpractice.

Slow down, there.  While we docs like to worry endlessly about malpractice lawsuits, they are lots of hurdles to jump over for a successful case.

There are four basic elements to a medical malpractice case.  They must all be present to form the basis for a claim, and an attorney must prove them all to succeed in a medical malpractice case.  The four elements are duty, breach, causation, and damages.

1) Duty means that the health care professional owes an individual a duty to act reasonably and appropriately – that he or she was responsible for providing some type of care or treatment to a patient.  This requirement is usually met whenever there is a physician-patient relationship.  The duty is the duty to act within the “standard of care” (basically meaning reasonable and appropriate care).

2) Breach means that the health care professional has breached the duty he or she owes to the patient – that they have deviated from or fallen below the standard of care.  Just as duty means that a doctor was responsible for providing reasonable care and treatment, breach means that he or she failed to do so.

3) Causation means that the health care professional’s breach of the standard of care caused or contributed to causing some harm to the patient.  A simple example would be a patient that goes to a hospital with a broken leg,  and the first doctor misses the diagnosis and tells the patient to go home.  Five minutes later, a second doctor correctly diagnoses the patient and treats the broken leg.  The first doctor misdiagnosed the patient, but it didn’t cause or contribute to causing any harm because the second doctor provided treatment within minutes.

4) Damages just means that the patient sustained harm because of the doctor’s mistake.  Think of malpractice as the medical equivalent of not paying attention and running a red light.  If someone runs a red light and doesn’t hit someone, they made a mistake but it didn’t hurt anyone.  Similarly, if a doctor makes a medical error but causes no harm to the patient, there are no damages.

Even if there is a grape-sized piece of gauze in the wound, if it is removed and the patient suffers no ill effects from it, then there are no damages.  He's not even experiencing any unnecessary pain and suffering.  

I'd have a very difficult time believing there is a large wad of gauze in there.  If this were an emergency abdominal surgery on a morbidly obese patient, you can see how that could happen, but as noted above there is an accounting of all packing/gauze used during the surgery.  They also have radiopaque threads so they can be seen on x-ray if they come up short.  I know they were also testing RFID chips in the gauze to make sure they can be detected with a wand device.  

I'm still calling dibs on all 9mm Luger ammo and women of childbearing age.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Is it a suture?
View Quote

Could be, I had neck surgery about 11 years ago, about 10 days after my release I thought i had a scab on the upper fourth of my incision

I kept trying to get it and when I pulled a string came out, my wife said I was a talking doll now, a Chatty Kathy or some shit like that. We called the Dr and he said for me to come up now so I made the 55 minute drive

Got up there and he pulled the damn string out a little and cut it and said it was a suture underneath the other surface sutures and said it was no problem

I fucking thought something was wrong when I had to run up to Akron at 4:30 PM but it was nothing

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've only seen black or dark blue vicryl sutures, this is white.  Just haven't seen a white vicryl.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds a lot like a stitch abscess with a vicryl suthttp://www.ar15.com/biz/engine/click.html?id=814&z=7ure poking out.

I don't want to make any crazy suggestions like going to your follow up appointment and asking the surgeon about it, but...maybe you should go to your follow up appointment and ask the surgeon about it.

Had a follow up three days ago, he never mentioned it, I didn't realize what it was at the time.

I replaced a shoulder on Friday.  There's not a lot of room to leave a sponge in there, although its conceivable.  You likely have a subdermal vicryl suture with a knot poking through, it's relatively common and it's not hard to grab it and trim it down.

I've only seen black or dark blue vicryl sutures, this is white.  Just haven't seen a white vicryl.

Mine was white

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is the Co Pay on Laudanum?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Leave it in, get infection, lose arm, sue, never work again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's non formulary, so it's really expensive.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:38:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Leave it in, get infection, lose arm, sue, never work again.
View Quote

I'm laughing, OP may be seriously considering it!

Fight the power, OP.  Modern Medicine is for suckas.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm still waiting on pics of this "easily resolved" foreign body that was "left in the wound."

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:52:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what you're talking about.  I just want to saw his arm off.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I had a suture that was causing odd tearing feelings and bulged following removal of my gallbladder. It went away, but I did think at some point something was "wrong" and they left something behind. Certainly wasn't grape sized though.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6du2B10K2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCpvTj6dAng

OP, save money on yankee anesthesia , and bring in a leather strap to bite. You'll thank GD, later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T5v_QbFZDU
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not gnarly enough yet, I need to get an amount out that can be pulled on, it's stuck in there pretty good!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pic?

Duh.... Picts man!!

Not gnarly enough yet, I need to get an amount out that can be pulled on, it's stuck in there pretty good!

Self-surgery will void the warranty. WTF are you thinking, man?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:56:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I vote pictures or loss of respect.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:04:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pic?

Duh.... Picts man!!

They always want you to believe that. It's just like diy oil changes. Keep a record of the miles and receipts when you have to go to the dealership for warranty repair.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:24:55 AM EDT
[#29]
FFsparky, Azgyos, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:26:44 AM EDT
[#30]
3 pages , no pictures and the Op is probably using both hands to type. Even the mods are giving medical advice . I vote ban the OP until he gets a camera
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I had a vasectomy a couple months back, blacked out on the table as he was working and he had to stop the procedure to get me back,  and then the glue separated on my scrotum and the stitch rubbed my sack as it was healing. I could see a dime size area on my sack of raw tissue.

Did I contemplate a law suit? No. Did I wish for a jackpot? No.

I kept good notes. Saw the Urologists PA, then saw the Urologist.

With my junk hanging out in the air as I lay on the table he explained what it was, that it would leave a slightly larger scar but would be hidden by the folds in my scrotum. Just keep it clean and dry so it heals.

I listened. It healed. My balls still work.

No pictures will be posted. Give the man a chance to make it right.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:37:43 AM EDT
[#32]
did you go to Gitman? If so, you're so fucked...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:41:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No post op x-ray until 30 day mark...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somebody forgot to do a sponge count. And it's weird it was missed on the post op x-rays.

unless it's a ray tec it might not show up.

was this an open procedure or a scope?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:47:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds a lot like a stitch abscess with a vicryl suthttp://www.ar15.com/biz/engine/click.html?id=814&z=7ure poking out.

I don't want to make any crazy suggestions like going to your follow up appointment and asking the surgeon about it, but...maybe you should go to your follow up appointment and ask the surgeon about it.

Had a follow up three days ago, he never mentioned it, I didn't realize what it was at the time.

I replaced a shoulder on Friday.  There's not a lot of room to leave a sponge in there, although its conceivable.  You likely have a subdermal vicryl suture with a knot poking through, it's relatively common and it's not hard to grab it and trim it down.

undyed is common
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:50:16 AM EDT
[#35]
My money is stitches

Gauze is counted and is xrayable if it is believed to be left in.  Lap sponges have long tails to hang outside so that they can't be forgotten as well.

If it's not warm, red or puss filled just wait and call your surgeons phone in your discharge papers let them know and they will talk to you over the phone and let you know if you should come in or not.

If you're really worried you should have the number for the surgeons line, you should be able to call and talk to a surgeon or resident surgeon.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:52:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Phbbtt! The things I have done with sharp kitchen knives...  Chainsaw files also (bad tooth).

Then I realized I could get scalpels from Amazon.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:53:42 AM EDT
[#37]
the lack of pictures in this thread is very concerning and disappointing...I came to this thread to see carnage and all I got was bullshit about malpractice and defamation.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:03:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in Boise.  No caffeine free Mountain Dew for me.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:07:19 AM EDT
[#39]
needs pictures!

sutures come in all flavors. sounds like it could be some Chromic or Monocryl. i dont think mono disolves well though. i dunno. just an ER nurse.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:23:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
3 pages , no pictures and the Op is probably using both hands to type. Even the mods are giving medical advice . I vote ban the OP until he gets a camera
View Quote

Ban OP until he cuts open a shoulder and sticks in some gauze and lets it start to heal.

We paid price of admission for a gauze stuck in wound thread. One way or another, OP must deliver.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:29:11 AM EDT
[#41]
SHOW US SOME DAMN PICTURES ALREADY!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:14:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somebody forgot to do a sponge count. And it's weird it was missed on the post op x-rays.

They took an x Ray before you even left the operating room to verify placement of hardware an also see if there are any foreign bodies that they didn't intend to leave in there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#43]
3 pages & OP still doesn't understand the necessity for posting the "before" pictures since what he is doing with the pliers is undoubtedly going to make the problem 10 times worse.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:05:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I once went to a doctor

They left pins and shit in my foot

After the pin was finally taken out, somehow I contracted MRSA and the infection grew inside my foot. It was very very painful.

The infection finally blew out the top of my foot where one of the incisions were. It made a hole.. looked liked I was shot with a .22

I was on some expensive antibiotics. Over $800 for a 2 week supply w/o insurance (I payed $230).

Before surgery:

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:14:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Pull out, pour gun powder on it and light on fire.  Rambo did it right?
View Quote

Patrick Swayze did it too in the movie "Black Dog"
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:19:37 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pull out, pour gun powder on it and light on fire.  Rambo did it right?

A guy in my plaroon got fed up with a wart on his hand while we were in the field. He took his bayonet and dug it out
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I once went to a doctor

They left pins and shit in my foot

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ermey/media/IMG_0012.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/IMG_0012.jpg</a>
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ermey/media/IMG_0010.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/IMG_0010.jpg</a>

After the pin was finally taken out, somehow I contracted MRSA and the infection grew inside my foot. It was very very painful.
The infection finally blew out the top of my foot where one of the incisions were. It made a hole.. looked liked I was shot with a .22
I was on some expensive antibiotics. Over $800 for a 2 week supply w/o insurance (I payed $230).

Before surgery:
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ermey/media/73754_10150320805690161_616250160_15480741_7440103_n.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/73754_10150320805690161_616250160_15480741_7440103_n.jpg</a>

View Quote

I have witnessed many an Arfcom foot pic over the years.   You Sir, have defeeted them all.  

Op thanks you for picking up his slack.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:33:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be serious.

Whiskey is easily obtained. However, the patient will have to bite on a bullet, which could cause a potential exposure to a hazardous substance. I don't remember lead in the U.S.P., so that may be an issue.

All is not lost. A competent surgeon can have his arm off in three minutes. He might still have a case for emotional damages. Since the arm will be removed at the shoulder, the townspeople won't call him Lumpy and he may suffer a reduced capacity to get free liquor as a result.

IMO, a consultation with a lawyer is more important than a consultation with a physician at this point. They can amputate any time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:37:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Be serious.

Whiskey is easily obtained. However, the patient will have to bite on a bullet, which could cause a potential exposure to a hazardous substance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be serious.

Whiskey is easily obtained. However, the patient will have to bite on a bullet, which could cause a potential exposure to a hazardous substance.

On the labels I have seen, lead has only to cause cancer in the state of California. As long as the procedure is done elsewhere, your fine
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Happened to my uncle. They had to amputate his arm and his leg.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top