BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where do you relieve yourself since you're out and about? Coke bottle? Tree?
View Quote

I don't know about OP but I just go home. I'm very centrally located in my city so it works. If I wasn't, is just stop off at any local gas station. YMMV.

Also, I own page 3!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sounds like an easy way to get robbed, raped, or murdered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$10 an hour, less wear and tear on your vehicle.  Are you doing this for fun or the experience?  Because I find it hard to believe you're doing it for the money.

At $10.00 an hour, it's hard to justify.  Agreed.

But I wasn't really trying that hard.  There are several things I could do differently that would increase my pay.

For instance, after making a trip downtown, I'd say to myself "k, I'm done for the night" but then as I'm driving back home, I'd get another "ping" from a rider, and I'd pick them up.

The smart way would be to quit driving around an empty car wasting gas.

http://www.good4utah.com/story/d/story/lehi-uber-driver-threatened-at-gunpoint/31250/dnFSERZvekmSa8TPVxPpCw

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Where do you relieve yourself since you're out and about? Coke bottle? Tree?
View Quote

I wasn't out long enough to need a bio-break.  However my house is just a couple miles away from the hot spots if I needed a break for any reason.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$10 an hour, less wear and tear on your vehicle.  Are you doing this for fun or the experience?  Because I find it hard to believe you're doing it for the money.

At $10.00 an hour, it's hard to justify.  Agreed.

But I wasn't really trying that hard.  There are several things I could do differently that would increase my pay.

For instance, after making a trip downtown, I'd say to myself "k, I'm done for the night" but then as I'm driving back home, I'd get another "ping" from a rider, and I'd pick them up.

The smart way would be to quit driving around an empty car wasting gas.

http://www.good4utah.com/story/d/story/lehi-uber-driver-threatened-at-gunpoint/31250/dnFSERZvekmSa8TPVxPpCw

I carry: Ruger LCP and a Kimber blaster.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So $10 an hour before mileage and maintenance, and no tips? Are you happy with that?
Eta- Doh, beat by the pig ^^^
View Quote

I'm guessing he's being 1099ed and as such his milage is deductable at around fifty cents a mile. thats a soild $40 off his taxable income for the night.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you think your earnings potential actual is?

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I net right around $250/wk and I don't even try really. I uber "walk of shames" on Sat and Sun mornings - early afternoon, chill with family then start picking up airport folks and drunks around 6 PM-10 PM but I usually leave the super drunks to other Ubers who really need the money. I might turn on the App for a few hours during the week after my 10+ hr./day job and pick up some airport fares but that's enough for me. My family says I'm addicted to work so I have to draw the line somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Couldn't be worth it
Gotta be some work from home shit that would pay as well
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Couldn't be worth it
Gotta be some work from home shit that would pay as well
View Quote

I like it. My City is a big hub for both movie production and international business so I meet lots of really neat people.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, Uber is fighting city-protected monopolies in lots of different areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did your insurance agent say about using your car as a taxi?

How much was your taxi permit to the city?

I have not axed.

There is no permit required in Dallas.

OK.

I asked because the city here just sent Uber an invoice/fine for $2000.

Bullshit. Taxi license allows the city to inspect the cars to insure they are safe and insured properly (more than just minimal liability). Uber just wants to dodge the responsibility.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bullshit. Taxi license allows the city to inspect the cars to insure they are safe and insured properly (more than just minimal liability). Uber just wants to dodge the responsibility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not axed.

OK.

Hmmm....My car gets inspected once a year and Uber cars have to be 6 yo or Newer.....unlike taxis which can be old as hell. Also, I don't know what the application process is like for taxi drivers but it took me 2 weeks to be approved for Uber and I had to provide Insurance info.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have not axed.

OK.

Ummm.... no. There is a whole issue with Taxi Permits and the control of said permits. Some cities only issue a certain amount of permits and the original permit holder can auction them off, sell them, hoard them, etc...

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In 4 hours, I grossed 66.00.  I netted 54.00 (after uber takes their cut)

I spent 11.00 in gas, so my actual net was 43.00

2013 Ford Edge

I did pick up hot chicks, but did not call them afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you make any money?

What sort of car do you have?

Did you pickup any hot chicks and then later call them?

In 4 hours, I grossed 66.00.  I netted 54.00 (after uber takes their cut)

I spent 11.00 in gas, so my actual net was 43.00

2013 Ford Edge

I did pick up hot chicks, but did not call them afterwards.

$10.75 an hour
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As I understand it, when I don't have any passengers, my insurance covers accidents.

If I'm in an accident with passengers, Ubers insurance kicks in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does the auto liability work in the event of an at-fault accident?  For example, if one of your passengers are injured?   Did you notify your own auto insurance carrier of this venture in your personal auto?

As I understand it, when I don't have any passengers, my insurance covers accidents.

I'm pretty certain that's not the way it works, but it depends on your auto insurance company. Let's use USAA as an example, USAA doesn't allow your POV to be used at any time to carry passengers for profit under your auto policy, you would need their commercial policy, and that's if they even will carry you. Driving passengers under a USAA personal auto policy is insurance fraud, if used as livery at any time..
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

lol

GOVERNMENT IS THE ANSWER!!!!!

Uber is just people.  Government is just people.  

In your mind, what makes the people in government better?

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Weekends or during high demand events I think 30.00/hr is not unreasonable or unachievable.

Full time, I think it would not be worth it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Easy. The people in government care about you; Uber is just a corporation that only cares about money.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Is it customary to tip the drivers?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Weekends or during high demand events I think 30.00/hr is not unreasonable or unachievable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know.

With most of the jobs in this recovery being below the median income of $22 an hour.   $30 might be worth it for some folks.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not axed.

OK.

The state of TX already inspects my car every year.  Insurance is also required as a driver, and Uber insures me when taking passengers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm pretty certain that's not the way it works, but it depends on your auto insurance company. Let's use USAA as an example, USAA doesn't allow your POV to be used at any time to carry passengers for profit under your auto policy, you would need their commercial policy, and that's if they even will carry you. Driving passengers under a USAA personal auto policy is insurance fraud, if used as livery at any time..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does the auto liability work in the event of an at-fault accident?  For example, if one of your passengers are injured?   Did you notify your own auto insurance carrier of this venture in your personal auto?

If I'm not carrying passengers, I am not working.  Therefore my personal insurance covers it.

If I'm carrying passengers, Uber insurance is who I call in the event of an accident.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  But it is appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, Uber's policy is not to expect a tip but if someone insists - you should accommodate to be polite.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't know.

With most of the jobs in this recovery being below the median income of $22 an hour.   $30 might be worth it for some folks.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know.

Well what i mean is $30.00/hr would be achievable when you pick and choose your times.  Only working when the work is good.

If you dragged it out to 40 hours a week, I don't think 30.00/hr would be achievable.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Wait until you deal with surge fares. Those fares are nuts and drunk people don't understand what the 1x, 2x, 8x...etc. Surge pricing means when they agree to the ride. I always explain it again as soon as they get in the car. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy. The people in government care about you; Uber is just a corporation that only cares about money.

Isn't it funny how some seem to believe people who basically derive their income and benefits from involuntary coercive theft (taxes) as somehow being better,  then those who derive their income and benefit through voluntary transactions (free-market).

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Well what i mean is $30.00/hr would be achievable when you pick and choose your times.  Only working when the work is good.

If you dragged it out to 40 hours a week, I don't think 30.00/hr would be achievable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know.

Gotcha, yeah I figured it was something like that.  But in some markets it might be achievable.  In some markets there are Taxi companies, and drivers, who make a living at it.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
as we don't have Uber near where i live, but have used it in Boston and DC, i will say that if at all possible, i prefer Uber over any other taxi service.  every driver has had a clean car, and a great personality.  

OP, is there any way to request a specific driver?  as in, i would like to have you drive my party again?
View Quote

I had to google this answer as I didn't know.  Apparently you cannot request a particular driver.

https://support.uber.com/hc/en-us/articles/202290118-Can-I-request-a-particular-driver-
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I like it. My City is a big hub for both movie production and international business so I meet lots of really neat people.
View Quote

If you meet Jennifer Anniston or Sandra Bullock, let them know that I want to date them. Jennifer may be out if she is engaged.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Not a question - but to go 40 miles in my city would cost you probably $100 or so.

You're giving it away.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes. Get their number and text your location. Once they're at your location, activate your request and they'll scoop you up.  Thing is, we like the "cool fares" just as much as you like us. Weirdos who sit in the back and leer at the rearview silently are the ones we dread.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you meet Jennifer Anniston or Sandra Bullock, let them know that I want to date them. Jennifer may be out if she is engaged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't met them but I have had some pretty awesome people in my little Honda Fit. Professional skateboarders, movie producers, famous chefs and brewmasters just for starters.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

good to know.  but i would be leary of handing out my number to a stranger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes. Get their number and text your location. Once they're at your location, activate your request and they'll scoop you up.  Thing is, we like the "cool fares" just as much as you like us. Weirdos who sit in the back and leer at the rearview silently are the ones we dread.

Meh, you can always block them if they are a nuisance. I give my number out upon request from fares because they tip BIG. Put it this way, they already like you and they want for you, specifically, to pick them up. That's going to be the easiest fare you work all day. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

google voice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google voice.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#40]
did you wear a plate carrier?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yesterday I was finally approved, and took to the road to see how things would go.

Ask me anything!
View Quote

How much did you make?

Any funny stories?

Do you have a fine of they soil your car?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:33:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Good luck with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with that.

He could clear it up by calling his agent and asking about it, but he knows he'll be dropped if he does.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:49:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The thought of installing a cam that records the passengers has crossed my mind.  Lots of times.

For my safety of course.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
pics of hot, drunk chick passengers not loading

The thought of installing a cam that records the passengers has crossed my mind.  Lots of times.

For my safety of course.  

Walmart has dash cams for forty bucks...just point it backwards
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:49:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Do you put a pink mustache on your car?  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:53:28 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
2013 Ford Edge

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What sort of car do you have?

2013 Ford Edge

Why don't you drive a Honda Civic?  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

2 separate dudes rode in the front with me.

Everyone else rode in the back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where do they ride in the car?

2 separate dudes rode in the front with me.

Everyone else rode in the back.

I was a cabbie for eight years.

Only regulars or VERY squared away hotties got to ride up front.

No random males. Ever.

So unwanted are front seat fares that some of our drivers would buckle gigantic stuffed animals into the front passenger seat. I kept a big bag with all my stuff on the seat.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Trust me , you haven't seen anything yet, it will most definitely be entertaining, if nothing else that will keep you in the game for awhile at least. 20+ years in a taxi (mostly nighttime) , I've seen a LOT, but I know
I've not seen it all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have fun be safe.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Thanks.  

All my passengers were normal people except my very first rider.

I got a super creepy socially awkward window peeker kinda vibe from him.

Trust me , you haven't seen anything yet, it will most definitely be entertaining, if nothing else that will keep you in the game for awhile at least. 20+ years in a taxi (mostly nighttime) , I've seen a LOT, but I know
I've not seen it all.

A cab driver in Vegas was telling us once about a guy that was getting head from two girls at the same time in his back seat.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:46:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Harry Chapin--Taxi  .. ever heard it?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:01:14 AM EDT
[#50]
The local tax mafia threw an absolute shit fit when Uber came out. Screaming and crying like 4 year olds who just had their hoho's eaten by the pooch.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top