BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am amazed at how prevalent this belief apparently is.

The average, non-overweight 180lb male adult performing light work (e.g. walking) has a respiratory volume rate of about 10-12 liters per minute.  That's a little less than half of a CFM.

So let's say you walk in off the street into a little coffee shop.  The shop is modest, say 20' x 50' x 9' high (9000 cubic feet).  There are ten other people waiting in line, plus a cashier and two baristas.  Assuming they've each been lightly walking, they're all breathing at around half a CFM, making for a total of 7 CFM of exhaled air.  

The ventilation requirement for a commercial business that size is 10 air changes per hour (depends on state/location), or 1500CFM.  Assuming completely homogenous mixing and quasi-steady state conditions, that makes the air inside the coffee shop about 0.5% previously breathed air.  
To put it another way, for every breath you take, half a teaspoon of that air was recently exhaled by another person.

Or, to put it another way...
If a fart contains 1/3 liter of gas, and the stink lingers for two minutes, one person farting inside the coffee shop equates to everyone else inhaling around 25 milligrams of shit.  

Yet, because you can see 'vapor,' people get worried about that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think its rude to expect people to want to be around expelled bodily fluid. I view it the same as people sneezing all over the place and not trying to cover their mouths.

Its just another disgusting habit.

I am amazed at how prevalent this belief apparently is.

The average, non-overweight 180lb male adult performing light work (e.g. walking) has a respiratory volume rate of about 10-12 liters per minute.  That's a little less than half of a CFM.

So let's say you walk in off the street into a little coffee shop.  The shop is modest, say 20' x 50' x 9' high (9000 cubic feet).  There are ten other people waiting in line, plus a cashier and two baristas.  Assuming they've each been lightly walking, they're all breathing at around half a CFM, making for a total of 7 CFM of exhaled air.  

The ventilation requirement for a commercial business that size is 10 air changes per hour (depends on state/location), or 1500CFM.  Assuming completely homogenous mixing and quasi-steady state conditions, that makes the air inside the coffee shop about 0.5% previously breathed air.  
To put it another way, for every breath you take, half a teaspoon of that air was recently exhaled by another person.

Or, to put it another way...
If a fart contains 1/3 liter of gas, and the stink lingers for two minutes, one person farting inside the coffee shop equates to everyone else inhaling around 25 milligrams of shit.  

Yet, because you can see 'vapor,' people get worried about that.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Last I checked vape manufacturers don't have to comply with any health standards or out warnings on the product because it is for "recreational use".  In reality it is just as toxic due to the artificial chemicals they put in to flavor it.
View Quote

Lots of morons in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Long term health affects of e-cigs isn't known.  They are chock full of shit, as I posted in the study above, contrary to what the users in this thread have said.  One even looked at all the goodies in second hand ?vapor?

View Quote

OK, Chicken Little. Appropriate avatar.
The "two leading brands" are disposables that nobody in this thread has talked about, and they aren't leading. And nobody in this thread is talking about disposables. Also, the levels found are infinitesimal.

Half of the things you list in the second study are completely harmless (especially propolylene glycol, which is what makes up most of the fluid. Wow, they found the main ingredient?)
The other things are products of BURNING. They burned it.

We know tons about the long term effects of propolyene glycol vapor inhalation, it was going to be pumped in the air in hospitals as a bactricide/viruscide until they discovered that the same effect could be achieved more easily by using UV lights.
Long term studies on rats & monkeys (12 to 18 months) that lived continuously in a 24hour a day vapor environment with zero ill effects.

Scrambling idiots dancing in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Well 40-50-60 years ago nobody thought tobacco smoke was bad for them ?

Who the fuck really knows what some fool has inserted into one of those ecigs / vape pens or whatever you call them.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So long as that designated smoking area isn't somewhere I CAN'T leave, I don't care.

I have feet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I smoked now I vape

I don't blow it in people faces

What I can't stand is people, smokers or non smokers, sitting or stand in a designated smoke area and bitch about the smell....

Normally I don't give a shit unless it's a non smoker in a smoking area because they gotta talk to there buddy then I'll say your in the wrong area then

So long as that designated smoking area isn't somewhere I CAN'T leave, I don't care.

I have feet.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were locked up in Jail with Smokers & Vapers......  

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think its rude to expect people to want to be around expelled bodily fluid. I view it the same as people sneezing all over the place and not trying to cover their mouths.

Its just another disgusting habit.
View Quote
I demand you Stop Exhaling that Air that was in your Lungs........... Its just another disgusting habit.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

When I smoked I made a point to take it outside you fucks should do the same
View Quote
When I was in the Sea Cadets, I Smoked in enclosed spaces on US Navy ships, if the smoking lamp was lit.....

When I was in the US Army, I smoked in the barracks..... I smoked in the lounge, when I was in Walter Reed..

I had Doctors who smoked at their Desk..... Oh course this was before all the Namby Panbies took over the Country....

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
So, is it OK to use a vaporizer with MJ in public around other people?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well 40-50-60 years ago nobody thought tobacco smoke was bad for them ?

Who the fuck really knows what some fool has inserted into one of those ecigs / vape pens or whatever you call them.
View Quote
OMG there's Dihydrogen Monoxide in Your morning Coffee............  

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I think vaping should be restricted just like smoking.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why do you hate freedom?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why should non addicts be forced to breathe your carcinogen laden shit?

Why do you hate freedom?

That is a phony argument. If it was about freedom, you wouldn't force it on others.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Vapers. Heh.

Finally saw one the other weekend, waiting in the SlideFire line at the TTAG gun fest. Had his jacket tied around his waist by the sleeves, wore a tan boonie hat, was about 60 lbs overweight, and was vaping like a mofo. My first thought was, "Arfcommer".

He strutted his stuff to the firing line, and totally flubbed. The look on his face was priceless. Vaping basement dweller.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

But it's still okay to point and laugh, right?
View Quote

of course :)
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]
this shit is still going on
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not about to read 10 pages of posts, but I'll just say that having to breathe your shit is an insult.

Oh, it's just water vapor, you say? Then why would you want to inhale it yourself? Um-hm, it's also got nicotine in it! Ah-HA!

So now it's really no different from cigarette smoke in that regard, and I don't want your fucking nicotine in my lungs. If you're stupid enough to suck shit like that into your lungs, let the force be with you .... but keep it the fuck away from me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should non addicts be forced to breathe your carcinogen laden shit?

Why do you hate freedom?

You don't understand freedom.  Your freedom ends where others rights begin.

not when it comes to breathing it doesn't

You can be a dirty disgusting pig and if I don't like the way you smell I can either put up with it or go elsewhere.   You can eat disgusting smelling food that make me want to puke, and I can either put up with it or leave.

Vaping isn't harmful so you have no complaint.  

neither are my farts (well maybe ) but I'm not going to shit all over you while you're trying to eat dinner.

but hey, courtesy is for the weak right?

it would be discourteous, but that is a different issue

it still not dangerous, which was the original question

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#17]
It smells bad. It lingers. Walking through a cloud of lung-droplets is disgusting. The vapor can carry disease.

No, it doesn't sound stupid at all.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So now it's really no different from cigarette smoke in that regard, and I don't want your fucking nicotine in my lungs. If you're stupid enough to suck shit like that into your lungs, let the force be with you .... but keep it the fuck away from me.
View Quote

miles apart, contains zero traces of carcinogen chemicals found in cigarettes and 10 times less nicotine than a real cigarette

http://healthland.time.com/2013/12/13/smoke-from-e-cigs-still-poses-some-second-hand-risk/
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It smells bad. It lingers. Walking through a cloud of lung-droplets is disgusting. The vapor can carry disease.

View Quote

How many know-nothing, ignorant bloviators will this thread out?
The vapor KILLS BACTERIA & VIRUSES.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2135415/
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm not about to read 10 pages of posts, but I'll just say that having to breathe your shit is an insult.

Oh, it's just water vapor, you say? Then why would you want to inhale it yourself? Um-hm, it's also got nicotine in it! Ah-HA!

View Quote

No knowledge of Nicotine at all, yet such a strong opinion.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Business owners have the right to dictate weather they allow someone to "vape" on their premises or not. It's their property, their right, just as a club owner has the right to put a fog machine in their establishment if they wish or to allow "vaping". Your right as a consumer is to either frequent said establishment or go somewhere else. If a restaurant doesn't want you smoking, vaping, doing heroin, meth, or slicing pieces of your testicles off in the corner booth while blasting techno music from a boom box, it's their right to tell you to leave. It's the same reason I believe the anti-smoking laws are complete BS. If a business owner wants their business to be "Joe's house of cigarette smoking", "Bob's Vape-shack", or "Timothy's land of testicle slicing", it should be their right do have a business catering to those demographics. The entitlement mentality by many vapists is pretty similar to the entitlement mentality of smokers who insist on smoking near others in public or anti-smokers pushing their beliefs on business owners. Quite frankly I don't care if it smells like tangerine and candied goat anuses, doesn't smell at all, contains nicotine, doesn't contain nicotine, is good, bad, healthy, unhealthy, i don't care. If you goto a restaurant and they don't want you doing something you have the right to leave and they have the right to dictate allowable behavior in their establishment.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The vapor can carry disease.
View Quote

>Anti-microbial vapor.
>Can carry disease.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Take that shit outside... away from me.

I don't want to be exposed to second hand smoke OR vape... Who knows WTF is in that shit... besides antifreeze.

You want to do it in your own personal space, have at it. But don't subject those around you to your habit, against their will.

ETA: For those saying it's harmless... show me where and how all vaping juices have been tested for harmful effects, and what regulations, if any they abide by. I don't think a blanket statement of "its just CO2... harmless" really covers your ass.

I personally think it should be treated the same as smoking.

It's not necessarily just about harmful effects. It's the same as invading someones space with your horribly bad breath, or your overly flowery perfume: it's rude.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I no longer smoke. I vape. I'm considerate about when and where I do it. I'm considerate to the point that if my vaping somehow annoys you then you've done something to intrude into my space or are just looking for something to be offended about. Get over it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it's funny that a bunch of neckbeards who are slowly killing themselves would pose the rhetorical possibility that a non-vaper is possibly "too stupid to live".

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I no longer smoke. I vape. I'm considerate about when and where I do it. I'm considerate to the point that if my vaping somehow annoys you then you've done something to intrude into my space or are just looking for something to be offended about. Get over it.
View Quote

exactly
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd like to restate my previous post and say that this thread is light-years worse than a DU gun thread.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

won't read ten pages.

feels free to drop his uninformed opinion in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#29]
E-cigs are brilliant, a great choice for people to quit smoking.

However....

In the spring I took a road trip to NY with my father for my grandmother's funeral.
17 hours door to door.
I've dipped for 24 years (Skoal LCW.)
My dad smoked for 40 years. He switched to e-cigs about 6 months ago.

I noticed during the trip that I kept getting nasty headaches and nausea.
Took me a while to figure out it was happening when I had a dip in and he was puffing on his e-cig.
I was getting too much nicotine, which was making me sick.
Cracked a window when he was using his e-cig and had no more problems.

Just something to be aware of.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And its true that it makes you smell like shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That and people who love hating on smokers don't want to lose their sense of moral superiority.   They gotta have someone to look down their noses at.  Otherwise they'd realize how pathetic their own lives are.

The goto defense, page 1 of the smokers handbook. Neva been done before.

And it's true.   Wow!  

And its true that it makes you smell like shit.

So does not taking a bath, but nobody's afraid of people who don't bathe.  They just look down on em.  Go ahead and look down on people using ECigs.  No skin off my back, especially since I haven't used em in a long time.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a question for you guys that are constantly having people "blow vapor in your face" or "blow vapor all over your food while you are eating"  "blow big clouds of vapor at you as you walk by".

What is the reason people feel that they can do these things to you? Are you little or funny looking? Do you look beta?

I have never in my life had someone blow anything in my face, or blow anything all over my food or blow anything in my general direction as I walked by...granted I am a big guy and look pretty intimidating, but I have never even seen anyone do that sort of stuff to smaller weaker looking people.

Maybe you need to stop letting people treat you like bitches, maybe you need to stand up for yourselves and not just get all passive aggressive towards vapers.
View Quote

For many of these Drama Queens, "blow smoke/vaport in my face" really means "someone exhaled and I could see the smoke when I walked by several feet away".
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Both VAP and cigarette smoke trigger my asthma.
Not afraid of cancer. Just afraid of not breathing
View Quote

That's  really amazing, considering one of the things in ecig juice is also in asthma inhalers...
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Stop Breathing around me & spewing all that germ laden air.....

You must not been outside on a real cold day......  

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Oh...Florida.
Bless your heart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a question for you guys that are constantly having people "blow vapor in your face" or "blow vapor all over your food while you are eating"  "blow big clouds of vapor at you as you walk by".

What is the reason people feel that they can do these things to you? Are you little or funny looking? Do you look beta?

I have never in my life had someone blow anything in my face, or blow anything all over my food or blow anything in my general direction as I walked by...granted I am a big guy and look pretty intimidating, but I have never even seen anyone do that sort of stuff to smaller weaker looking people.

Maybe you need to stop letting people treat you like bitches, maybe you need to stand up for yourselves and not just get all passive aggressive towards vapers.
says the guy from NY

Oh...Florida.
Bless your heart.

You should stop being so beta and use a real insult, instead of that weak sauce "bless your heart" bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

So you think everything that is not expressly permitted is thereby prohibited? That's seriously messed up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should non addicts gunowners be forced to breathe be around  your carcinogen laden shit baby-killing assault rifles?

FTFY, hypocrite.

Freedom; you either support it or you don't.

http://www.constitutionday.com/images/us_constitution/us_constitution_01_small.gif

looked all over this thing and didn't see any mention about your right to own pitbulls, vape, grow mullets, or drive pontiacs

did see one about being a gun owner
peppering my angus now

So you think everything that is not expressly permitted is thereby prohibited? That's seriously messed up.
try and keep up corky, we discussed how the 9th amendment covers BOTH parties.  Yes its your right to breath unicorn farts, just like mine is to not breath your leftovers.  However you do not have a right to disarm me because guns are icky.  

The rest was just me being a smart ass

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I don't want to be exposed to second hand smoke OR vape... Who knows WTF is in that shit... besides antifreeze.

You want to do it in your own personal space, have at it. But don't subject those around you to your habit, against their will.

ETA: For those saying it's harmless... show me where and how all vaping juices have been tested for harmful effects, and what regulations, if any they abide by. I don't think a blanket statement of "its just CO2... harmless" really covers your ass.

It's not necessarily just about harmful effects. It's the same as invading someones space with your horribly bad breath, or your overly flowery perfume: it's rude.

View Quote
Stop Breathing Your Germ laden Air around me...... Who knows WTF is in it....  

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

For many of these Drama Queens, "blow smoke/vaport in my face" really means "someone exhaled and I could see the smoke when I walked by several feet away".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The funny thing is your probably right.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

CO2 is carbon dioxide. Antifreeze is ethylene glycol.
Science is hard.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't smoke or vape, so I don't know what the costs associated with either are. Tobacco use is also completely unnecessary and causes costs to the public, so I don't automatically have a problem with practice being discouraged and people who choose to engage in it bearing some of the costs.

I also patronize stores that have policies prohibiting the carry of firearms on their properties. Costco, for example.
View Quote

I don't own guns or shoot, so I don't know the cost associated with either are. Firearm ownership is completely unnecessary and causes cost the the public, so I don't automatically have a problem with the practice being discouraged and people who choose to engage in it bearing some of the costs.

I carry my gun in places that tell me not to as well but that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about them being able to call the cops and have you get fined or arrested for carrying your gun in their store.

So you can't carry a gun hardly anywhere with out the possibility of a large fine your trianing ammo costs $ 1200 for 1000 rounds, and your carry piece is $ 2500, those being conservative figures. Would you like that much government intervention on firearms if all the taxes went to "keeping crime off the street"?

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Way to go OP - take your vape outside along with the smokers. Discouraged in my place of business.

Not on the same level as smoking, but anyone/anything that puts off an offensive odor is not welcome.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#41]

I see nothing different.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#42]
My wife switched from cigs to vape and holy fuck thank you very much it finally doesn't smell like anything anymore.

All you people claiming to smell vapor are delusional, it doesn't smell like anything.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't vape where I wouldn't smoke.  Well, other than my home and vehicle anyway.  I do my best not to give anyone a face full.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Way to go OP - take your vape outside along with the smokers. Discouraged in my place of business.

Not on the same level as smoking, but anyone/anything that puts off an offensive odor is not welcome.
View Quote
I've stopped on the way home from work to pick up some needed items..............

Never had a Grocery, Department, or other Store tell me to leave & take my money with me......

I've been Dirty, Greasy, & Sweaty, yet they still wanted my money........

Some of Y'all probably have soft Lotiony Hands that can't grip a Tackle Box.....

Do you get Botox treatments for your wrinkles, too........

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

unless it has cash
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've stopped on the way home from work to pick up some needed items..............

Never had a Grocery, Department, or other Store tell me to leave & take my money with me......

Some of Y'all probably have soft Lotiony Hands that can't grip a Tackle Box.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, vaping makes you a hard mofo now, does it?

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

FFS and all that fog comes down on your hair and clothes and shit?  and if you're eating in a restaurant, on your food?  FTS
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

FFS and all that fog comes down on your hair and clothes and shit?  and if you're eating in a restaurant, on your food?  FTS
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FFS the person sitting at the next table is Exhaling all His Germ Laden Breath & it's coming down on your Hair, Clothes, & Food......

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've walked into Restaurants for Lunch smelling pretty Rank from Work.....

They still wanted my Money......

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top