BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People in other parts of the country, even where it snows, don't get the concept of going out to shovel while it's still coming down. Except in crazy storms like this one, getting out while it's coming down is essential to keeping the job manageable. There is a difference between shoveling 8" three times and 24" once, and 6" four times can be a better bet.
View Quote

When I lived in Northern Quebec I had to shovel almost every morning so my dad could get the car out to bring me to school.
The wealthier neighbors had walk behind snow blowers.
We didn't see asphalt from November to May. There was so much snow on the front lawn of everyone's house, that you could never see the street from your front windows for 5-6 months due to the mountains of snow piled there by the snow blowers and plows.

It's all what you are used to.

I hope we get so much snow, all the idiot man-made global warming liars can't even get out of their houses because of the volume of it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm only 3ish hours away from Buffalo.  Still clear here.

Keep that shit up there.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, I almost said, unless you're working, then you need one of those nice service contracts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
People in other parts of the country, even where it snows, don't get the concept of going out to shovel while it's still coming down. Except in crazy storms like this one, getting out while it's coming down is essential to keeping the job manageable. There is a difference between shoveling 8" three times and 24" once, and 6" four times can be a better bet.

Hard to do when you're at work all day.

This is my technique when I'm home on the weekend, but if it's coming down in buckets between about 7:00am and 6:00pm during the week...I'm kind of fucked.

Yeah, I almost said, unless you're working, then you need one of those nice service contracts.

Which I just got this year, for the driveway.

The city keeps the sidewalk clean, in front of my house.

I guess the property taxes are good for something.

I pretty much never use my front door, so that sidewalk is left alone. Fuck it. I come in through the covered back porch near my garage, so all I really need to do is just trim up what the plow can't easily reach.

This is my first winter in this house (I moved July 4th), but so far so good:

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank god I have never had to run a snow blower.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sheeeeit. The nicer ones have heated hand grips, electric starters, and are self propelled.

It's shoveling the shit that sucks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I will sit back and watch the show on the beach.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thundersnow is the best snow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
we've got thunder now
THUNDERSNOW

I was biking home around midnight during a thundersnow when a bolt let loose within a quarter mile.  FFFFFFffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

It was like being inside a flashbulb!   So fun! Very Wow!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think I will sit back and watch the show on the beach.
View Quote

Winter is my favorite time of year. These kinds of posts have no effect on me.

I grew up in California, and I've probably spent a grand total of 5 days on a beach. Never cared for it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#10]
They are reporting more roofs failing. The rain is coming in a couple days, which will add more weight.  This is far from over.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They are reporting more roofs failing. The rain is coming in a couple days, which will add more weight.  This is far from over.
View Quote

yup. Everyone around here has a shovel or two, not so with roof rakes though
although getting into your yard to be able to use a roof rake is probably impossible with this much snow
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Its hitting just south of me, not even a dusting once you get north of the storm.

Everyone I work with is right in the path of the storm....its a very quiet day at the office for me. I really wish my area got hit as well.....I love this stuff.

For those of you unfamiliar, these photos were taken earlier today:

http://i62.tinypic.com/x2jhgo.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/15xpkiw.jpg
View Quote
lake effect , i had to look it up , thanks for the pictures

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was biking home around midnight during a thundersnow when a bolt let loose within a quarter mile.  FFFFFFffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
we've got thunder now
THUNDERSNOW

I was on my bicycle and it started to hail . I was 2 miles from my car or any over hang
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Eight Dead as Snow Buries Upstate New York, Great Lakes

According to the Associated Press, four people died Tuesday due to the heavy snow. Three of the incidents were caused by cardiac arrest from shoveling snow, while the other one was due to an automobile accident.

Erie County officials confirmed two additional deaths on Wednesday, bringing the death toll to six. Another death was reported Wednesday evening, according to a report from WKBW Buffalo. Another man died while trying to move a snow blower and went into cardiac arrest on Wednesday evening, Deputy County Executive Richard Tobe said in a press conference.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

According to the Associated Press, four people died Tuesday due to the heavy snow. Three of the incidents were caused by cardiac arrest from shoveling snow, while the other one was due to an automobile accident.

Erie County officials confirmed two additional deaths on Wednesday, bringing the death toll to six. Another death was reported Wednesday evening, according to a report from WKBW Buffalo. Another man died while trying to move a snow blower and went into cardiac arrest on Wednesday evening, Deputy County Executive Richard Tobe said in a press conference.

It gets people every year.

We have a woman at work who's husband (mid 40's) died last winter, while shoveling snow. Collapsed in his driveway, and that was that. No history of heart disease, or anything like that.

I honestly don't know what it is about shoveling snow that seems to trigger it more than other activities, but it sure seems like it does, at least anecdotally.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sheeeeit. The nicer ones have heated hand grips, electric starters, and are self propelled.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love the electric start. I hate the city plows that leave a huge pile at the end of the driveway full of chunks that my snowblower can't handle. And you have to get those piles befo they harden or it's some hard shoveling.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We have a woman at work who's husband (mid 40's) died last winter, while shoveling snow. Collapsed in his driveway, and that was that. No history of heart disease, or anything like that.

I honestly don't know what it is about shoveling snow that seems to trigger it more than other activities, but it sure seems like it does, at least anecdotally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure that EMS being delayed by a 5 foot tall frozen mess everywhere they try to go doesn't help either.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hell no need to clean out the snow just play the damn game.
Would be a fun game.
Snow shoes and bunny boots.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bills are offering $10/hr plus tix to anyone who will help shovel out the stadium

That's cool.   I'd like to see a pic of that stadium full of snow.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B21wSirIAAEtcUC.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B213Ub6IQAAS4t5.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B21wEJrIUAATW3o.png:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B21lDMvIIAEaQ8H.jpg:large

Hell no need to clean out the snow just play the damn game.
Would be a fun game.
Snow shoes and bunny boots.

The packers have it down to a system. The fans come in and help shovel. Don't know what they pay, but no tix.
Conveyor belts or slides to get the snow down off the seating areas. Hundreds show up.

We love the pack up here!

However, I'm not sure how they'd put up with 5-7' of snow in the stadium after clearing their own property off!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. We could never afford a snow blower when I was growing up. I shoveled a lot of snow.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

although getting into your yard to be able to use a roof rake is probably impossible with this much snow
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We used to just put a ladder up, and push the snow off with snow scoops. Makes a hug pile of snow that is fun to jump into.

Just make sure not to land on a scoop or shovel when doing so.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Aaaaaaaaaand this is why prepping is important.

Mother nature is no joke.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Aaaaaaaaaand this is why prepping is important.

Mother nature is no joke.
View Quote

Couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Picture my mom sent me yesterday.  I miss the snow and all but after being stranded for days this wouldn't be fun anymore.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

you did not go there!

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any cars on fire yet?

you did not go there!

ar-jedi

Oh, I totally did.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#26]
We are getting absolutely crushed right now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Looks like they're not going to play the football game there this weekend. They're going to play it somewhere else, not sure where.

View Quote

Are the Dolphins at home?  The Chargers?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Its hitting just south of me, not even a dusting once you get north of the storm.

Everyone I work with is right in the path of the storm....its a very quiet day at the office for me. I really wish my area got hit as well.....I love this stuff.

For those of you unfamiliar, these photos were taken earlier today:

http://i62.tinypic.com/x2jhgo.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/15xpkiw.jpg
View Quote

Cool pics.

We've gotten over 70" here since the 10th.  I love it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Oh, I totally did.

http://i.imgur.com/J0c37Pe.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any cars on fire yet?

you did not go there!

ar-jedi

Oh, I totally did.

http://i.imgur.com/J0c37Pe.png

Cop needs to fess up. His hands got cold and he torched his car to warm up.

Not that I blame him.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Polish State Railways used MiG-15 airplane engines to clear snow off of and to de-ice railroad tracks during the 1960's.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

LOL, all it said was they're "looking". Mentioned Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Maryland.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like they're not going to play the football game there this weekend. They're going to play it somewhere else, not sure where.

LOL, all it said was they're "looking". Mentioned Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Maryland.

I'm off next week, I might consider going to a Monday night game in Pgh
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#36]

That bottom left pic, is pure AWESOMENESS!!!!

Inland folks that don't deal with the Lake effect "Bands", and cannot understand, or fathom, a good lake effect dump, just need to see that to get a small idea.

There is nothing like it anywhere else. Out west, Alaska, central plains, nowhere.  

Buddy of mine that moved here from the wet side of the Cascades, and lived where they got some snow, freaked the fuck out the first time he dealt with it.
It was precious. "It started snowing, so I stopped because I couldn't see, and 6 inches piled up in ten minutes, so I just left the car stuck in the driveway, walked towards the house and couldn't see it, and got lost..."

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#37]
We were in the Zoar valley steelhead fishing and had to take off a day early due to the weather and fear of getting snowed in. Shit got real from Monday into Tuesday, lol

J-
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't imagine using a snowblower that wasn't self-propelled.  That would be a bitch.

/1st world problems

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Haven't owned a snow blower in years, but I'd never want a single stage again. Damn things are useless in wet snow.

Haven't been able to justify the budget for a new one to the wife. I guess when I keel over from a heart attack, that'll be enough.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Picture my mom sent me yesterday.  I miss the snow and all but after being stranded for days this wouldn't be fun anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/eyElHyX.jpg
View Quote

WTF!!??

Serious question..........are roofs collapsing?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

F that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Officially got 83" here in Lancaster.....

Its surreal....
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Officially got 83" here in Lancaster.....

Its surreal....
View Quote

Do you even bother digging out anymore snow, or do you just say screw it because of the coming rain?

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#46]
We dug out my wifes car, since we need to try to get at least one vehicle out...we haven't left the house for four days (I mean venturing out on the road...we were out to shovel, and say "holy shit"). We should be able to venture out tomorrow, and hopefully once the car is out of the driveway, I can clean it up a bit better.

My car is not dug out, and don't know if I will. I have a solid 5' of snow pack behind it to the gate, maybe about 30 feet or so...don't know how to move it all or where to put it, you can only throw it so high, either by hand or blower...might just wait till it mostly melts, then get it out....good thing next week is a holiday week....
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's like running a garden roto-tiller.  You just have to dress warmly.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gonna play in Detroit on Monday night.  I'm very surprised that they didn't play in Syracuse at the Carrier Dome.  I'm sure they would have a better crowd of Jets and Bills fans there than they will in Detroit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Gonna play in Detroit on Monday night.  I'm very surprised that they didn't play in Syracuse at the Carrier Dome.  I'm sure they would have a better crowd of Jets and Bills fans there than they will in Detroit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a hockey game at the carrier dome saturday and they could not set the football field up fast enough for the Bills.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You're right..  By Thanksgiving, they will be standing in knee deep gray slop that's mostly melted snow, dirt, salt, and sand.  Look at the long range.  I think it's supposed to be close to 60 on Monday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...and it ain't even Thanksgiving yet

You're right..  By Thanksgiving, they will be standing in knee deep gray slop that's mostly melted snow, dirt, salt, and sand.  Look at the long range.  I think it's supposed to be close to 60 on Monday.
Snow is an excellent insulator. It will take a long time to melt 5-7 feet. I doubt the piles of removed snow will melt before mid summer.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top