What a waste of coke.
View Quote
Be thankful it wasn't beer.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like fun.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, so call me a sucker, but I bought one of these things just now... I will be reporting back with info and videos soon. I have a spot I should be able to test up to 200ish yards or so.

Now... where to get lots of blanks!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OK, so call me a sucker, but I bought one of these things just now... I will be reporting back with info and videos soon. I have a spot I should be able to test up to 200ish yards or so.

View Quote

If you don't have a reloading press, you could get by with poking the old primers out with a small punch & then getting some new primers and a cheap hand priming tool.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like fun.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

LOL sucker!!!!

I'd drop a line in the FNRL thread, I'm sure someone is sitting on some.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Straight from the good folks at X-Products:

"We are doing our first shipments this week.  Just so you know we have made the determination that we are selling the Assembled uppers only not the barrel/sleeve combination.  We are offering them in Black, FDE and OD Green. Colors are a $20 up charge.  Black is $399."

View Quote

$200 for a stripped upper?       No thanks...
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"We are doing our first shipments this week.  Just so you know we have made the determination that we are selling the Assembled uppers only not the barrel/sleeve combination.  We are offering them in Black, FDE and OD Green. Colors are a $20 up charge.  Black is $399."

I don't know if it includes a BCG yet.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the description on their site I believe it does not include a BCG (See below). I suppose I might have overpaid for this, but I actually want to get working on my project, so it's worth the extra money to me.

From the site:

"Why would you launch a soda can? Because it's fun! Plus, it's an incredibly fast and fun decoy to shoot at. Every demonstration leads to more smiles and laughs than any product we've ever introduced. BATFE approved design is not considered a Destructive Device or firearm. Sold as an assembled upper with receiver, headspaced and mounted ported barrel, and pressure tube. Works with any AR-15 mil standard bolt and most piston bolts. Includes our no-hassle lifetime warranty."
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. Doesn't even come with a charging handle either.

Put one in the Shopping Cart and here's the description: "Easy switch over with your BCG and charging handle."

I was in at $199 for a barrel and tube. Another $200 for an upper receiver with whatever labor is involved that I could already do myself? No thanks.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#11]
That would be a great anti rioter device.      Shoot a couple cases of Bull and Colt45, and watch them scatter.  

fire for Effect!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know how to mount a quadrant site without a carry handle upper? I'm thinking that is worth a shot too.

Edit: SwiftKey has shit the bed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Anyone know how to mount a quadrant site without a carry handle upper? I'm thinking that is worth a shot too.

View Quote

Clearly you need only the finest...

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:17:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.knightarmco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/micro_aimpoint_quadrant.jpg

Ummm.... Just looked at the price. That's a big NOPE.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just dug an extra (nearly useless) detachable carry handle out of my gear and I'm going to use an M203 quadrant sight I got for free from a Marine buddy.

Seems the cheapest route at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Put one in the Shopping Cart and here's the description: "Easy switch over with your BCG and charging handle."

I was in at $199 for a barrel and tube. Another $200 for an upper receiver with whatever labor is involved that I could already do myself? No thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do they keep making their product less attractive?

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://www.knightarmco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/micro_aimpoint_quadrant.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G&P and King Arms make airsoft copies of the KAC micro quadrant sight for under $100. Still need to add your own red dot to.

Real iron quadrant sights can be had for $150: https://www.modarmory.com/product/m203-quadrant-sight-assembly-grenade-launcher/
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So what can I use this for in the zombie apocalypse/SHTF?
View Quote

Launching Molotovs and field expedient grenades. All NFA rules apply.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I just dug an extra (nearly useless) detachable carry handle out of my gear and I'm going to use an M203 quadrant sight I got for free from a Marine buddy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I figure that might be the only option at first. I'm trying to dream up a way of mounting a section of picatinny rail to the top of barrel. Then I could make an attempt at using the M203 leaf sight.The sight radius needs to be really short if I want to get any accuracy out of it.

I'm pretty good at making things work and I'll spend money if I see some potential.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is how I have dreamt up mounting a usable leaf site.

Two 2.75" clamps such as pictured below, with a 7" section of thick picatinny rail drilled to let the through-bolts it between the two sides of the strap. I might put a thin layer of rubber coating on the straps and rail so that they can be torqued down a bit and not damage the barrel. Once mounted and centered, you could mount a very low-profile front site and one of those M203 leaf sights to the rail.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah I figure that might be the only option at first. I'm trying to dream up a way of mounting a section of picatinny rail to the top of barrel. Then I could make an attempt at using the M203 leaf sight.The sight radius needs to be really short if I want to get any accuracy out of it.

I'm pretty good at making things work and I'll spend money if I see some potential.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would weld a length of steel picatinny rail directly to the outside of the pressure tube.

180 degrees (left side as you are holding the shouldered weapon) for a quadrant sight and/or 45 degrees, top of the rail for the rear leaf sight and front sight post. Only downside to welding is you will have to repaint the whole thing.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I would weld a length of steel picatinny rail directly to the outside of the pressure tube.

180 degrees (left side as you are holding the shouldered weapon) for a quadrant sight and/or 45 degrees, top of the rail for the rear leaf sight and front sight post. Only downside to welding is you will have to repaint the whole thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would be worried about weakening and blowing the tube up when I attempt some M195...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

G&P and King Arms make airsoft copies of the KAC micro quadrant sight for under $100. Still need to add your own red dot to.

Real iron quadrant sights can be had for $150: https://www.modarmory.com/product/m203-quadrant-sight-assembly-grenade-launcher/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fuck?

Ebay dude $20 w/free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-M-203-QUADRANT-SIGHT-/121485952290?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c49208522
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steel picatinny sections and silver solder.

http://www.gunsnorthwest.com/18-steel-picatinny-rail-18-rail.htm

Silver soldering.

http://muggyweld.com/ssf6-silver-solder

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Silver solder is a good idea. It's not like the barrel could get hot enough to melt it. Even regular solder would probably work in this case.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe we all need to email them and let them know that they need to sell it by itself?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

maybe we all need to email them and let them know that they need to sell it by itself?
View Quote

Cuz there's a whole lotta profit to be made in those stripped receivers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Silver solder is a good idea. It's not like the barrel could get hot enough to melt it. Even regular solder would probably work in this case.
View Quote

Silver solder is what Mossberg uses on their shotgun barrels, the 'weld' is as strong as mig/tig but doesn't weaken the thinner walls.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:09:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Silver solder is what Mossberg uses on their shotgun barrels, the 'weld' is as strong as mig/tig but doesn't weaken the thinner walls.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I lol'd.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:17:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I lol'd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lol'd.

It's rated at 70,000 psi tensile strength and can go as high as 130,000 which is stronger than standard stick welding.

http://www.wehmer.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=18
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
It's rated at 70,000 psi tensile strength and can go as high as 130,000 which is stronger than standard stick welding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I lol'd.

Honestly, I don't doubt it. So where would I pick up some of this particular type of silver solder?

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:30:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lol'd.

There is more than one measurement of strength that must be used when comparing welds to soldering.

And is using Mossberg as an example supposed to instill confidence?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:31:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Honestly, I don't doubt it. So where would I pick up some of this particular type of silver solder?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lol'd.

Here's the link for the SSF-6.

http://muggyweld.com/ssf6-silver-solder
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There is more than one measurement of strength that must be used when comparing welds to soldering.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lol'd.

Typically with thin walled applications the weld itself is going to be stronger than the material, so I would say that when it comes to this he's better off than putting a hole in the side of it or warping it.

Mossberg has created some marketing shit, but none of that has anything to do with the quality of their weapons, the 590 shotguns will run with anything on the market, and for the record Remingtons are soldered as well.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:55:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I want the harpoon.

There are big, dumb, slow carp all over the place down here that like to hang out around docks.    
View Quote

Piece of cardboard, pool noodle, and an arrow, and you're in business...just sayin'
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Typically with thin walled applications the weld itself is going to be stronger than the material, so I would say that when it comes to this he's better off than putting a hole in the side of it or warping it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that silver solder is probably the best approach for the application.

But it wouldn't be accurate to define silver solder simply as "stronger than welding"... In some ways yes, in other ways no.

Mossberg has created some marketing shit, but none of that has anything to do with the quality of their weapons, the 590 shotguns will run with anything on the market,

Mossberg shotguns are built by drunken monkeys.

and for the record Remingtons are soldered as well.

True. Many other shotgun makes too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I've already got a golf ball launcher...

What else can it shoot besides golf balls??

Red Bull can??
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Weapons sights are typically soft soldered, not hard soldered.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Mossberg shotguns are build by drunken monkeys.

View Quote

I have a 590 from 1995 or so and it's been a solid gun from day one, feeds everything, has been through a few camping and river trips.  I've abused it and never had a single broken part, jam or ftf.

Those substance dependent alcoholic monkeys turn out a better product than Franchi.

My old Spas-12 for all it's fame was a POS.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've already got a golf ball launcher...

What else can it shoot besides golf balls??

Red Bull can??
View Quote

Monster 16oz tall boy...
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I have a 590 from 1995 or so and it's been a solid gun from day one, feeds everything, has been through a few camping and river trips.  I've abused it and never had a single broken part, jam or ftf.

Those substance dependent alcoholic monkeys turn out a better product than Franchi.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

People have known SPAS-12's have been that since they hit the shore.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fit and finish were excellent, tight as a Benelli.

Over complicated and engineered before the days of the internet you couldn't  find a maintenance manual for it.

I had a problem with it getting too dirty in SA and not cycling, it would work fine in pump.

Quality was excellent, functionality not so much.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Weapons sights are typically soft soldered, not hard soldered.
View Quote

I can sweat pipe pretty decently, so I might just go with this method... I figure another benefit of using standard solder is that you can use aluminum rail. Steel is surprisingly expensive.

In the end, it's a big ass tube that shoots soda cans... I don't mind if the optics rails isn't rated to drag stumps out of the ground, and the odds of this thing ever getting hotter than 450F° are pretty much zero.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Sold out already.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:39:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Mine shipped this afternoon. It's supposed to be here thursday.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:40:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll give you $50 if you turn it into a squirrel launch trap and post video.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:11:58 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd do the trap launch for free, but catching the squirrel is a whole 'nother issue.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:15:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'd do the trap launch for free, but catching the squirrel is a whole 'nother issue.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ammunition.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I would hope the end of the barrels is a threaded cap thats replaceable incase that happens. I'd think a live round would pass through the soda can and end cap of the barrel and continue on its way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will be interesting when the first person forgets to use a blank and shoots a live round.

I would hope the end of the barrels is a threaded cap thats replaceable incase that happens. I'd think a live round would pass through the soda can and end cap of the barrel and continue on its way.

lol no
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top