User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check this out.

<a href="http://s57.photobucket.com/user/bhiggins25/media/6C02E514-3E58-488A-A651-7C799C8CED22_zpsmqa3qpoc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/bhiggins25/6C02E514-3E58-488A-A651-7C799C8CED22_zpsmqa3qpoc.jpg</a>
View Quote

Is this a home built cannon or did you remove the writing off a xproducts unit? Either way it looks good.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I just rotated the tube so the writing didn't show for the picture.

To reiterate what others have said, it is super fun to shoot. Perfect for non-serious shooting occasions and miscellaneous good times. Also, it kicks...in a fun way...but not for lightweights.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely! Did any of you see the new net launcher we're working on? I posted the first test video on Facebook and Instagram to show the concept works. Going to refine it and should have actually units available in about 2-3 months!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Absolutely! Did any of you see the new net launcher we're working on? I posted the first test video on Facebook and Instagram to show the concept works. Going to refine it and should have actually units available in about 2-3 months!
View Quote

I'm worried about who your target demographic might be, with such an offering

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://www.screeninsults.com/images/planet-of-the-apes-net4.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.screeninsults.com/images/planet-of-the-apes-net4.JPG

"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any word on when you will start selling the kits without the upper?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With the new Grappling hook coming down the pipe and the net launcher you'll want as much thickness as possible without compromising usability. The problem with the home-made units is that they will not accept some of our accessories as they locate off the end of the ported barrel and are fastened to it.

This. I already have a few upper receivers laying around, looking for a good product to attach them to. I'd only need the tube and barrel. Either way, xproducts, you guys have a winner on your hands.

Edit: just saw you decided not to do kits. Very disappointed. I'll probably skip it then.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This. I already have a few upper receivers laying around, looking for a good product to attach them to. I'd only need the tube and barrel. Either way, xproducts, you guys have a winner on your hands.

Edit: just saw you decided not to do kits. Very disappointed. I'll probably skip it then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With the new Grappling hook coming down the pipe and the net launcher you'll want as much thickness as possible without compromising usability. The problem with the home-made units is that they will not accept some of our accessories as they locate off the end of the ported barrel and are fastened to it.

I bought the whole upper and traded the receiver for something else. *shrug*

To each, their own I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is a short review, by me, of the Safetac blanks only mag: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/20/lightening-review-safe-tac-mag-blank-only-training-magazine/

Thanks for letting me use your photo Skillets.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
1st Field test with Hirtenberger M200A1 length blanks. 12oz. cans went ~92-95yds pretty consistently. We broke out a 18" 20ga single shot and got a few on the way downrange.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Some still from this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is a short review, by me, of the Safetac blanks only mag: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/04/20/lightening-review-safe-tac-mag-blank-only-training-magazine/

Thanks for letting me use your photo Skillets.
View Quote

No worries!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Mistake post
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Edited for spelling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some stills from a video this weekend. <a href="http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/kjdkelly/media/can%20cannon/5E1DDB80-485E-4DBA-905F-CF614FC5971D_zps72ygvhli.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u393/kjdkelly/can%20cannon/5E1DDB80-485E-4DBA-905F-CF614FC5971D_zps72ygvhli.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/kjdkelly/media/can%20cannon/0A591783-FA1D-42DE-A20F-25FC6714A0A6_zpseevhagdu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u393/kjdkelly/can%20cannon/0A591783-FA1D-42DE-A20F-25FC6714A0A6_zpseevhagdu.jpg</a>

Edited for spelling.

Your still of the can just outside the tube is amazing!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Man I can see and my friends now.

Explosive sex toys, Long range smoke bombs, nets,teddy bears, glitter!

LET THE FREEDOM RAIN!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Man I can see and my friends now.

Explosive sex toys, Long range smoke bombs, nets,teddy bears, glitter!

LET THE FREEDOM RAIN!
View Quote

A smoke bomb is totally doable. Not sure why I haven't made one yet!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#16]
An intereresting idea I discovered after cleaning up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/kjdkelly/media/can%20cannon/5FDE0C0B-A2B0-4C0A-BEC9-3865D6AF4ED9_zpsjq0pmft1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u393/kjdkelly/can%20cannon/5FDE0C0B-A2B0-4C0A-BEC9-3865D6AF4ED9_zpsjq0pmft1.jpg</a>
View Quote

Rustoleum also launches... Just sayin.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/kjdkelly/media/can%20cannon/5FDE0C0B-A2B0-4C0A-BEC9-3865D6AF4ED9_zpsjq0pmft1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u393/kjdkelly/can%20cannon/5FDE0C0B-A2B0-4C0A-BEC9-3865D6AF4ED9_zpsjq0pmft1.jpg</a>

After a quick run to the garage......yes. Yes it does. some bright orange spray paint would be awesome at the Rock quarry I shoot at.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got a review for you!

I bought one last weekend, stocked up on cheap pop, grabbed some boxes of Lake City M200 blanks and headed out to test it and make a video. After firing 3 cans, the 3rd blank stuck in the chamber and required prying the bolt open with a screwdriver. The problem appears to be a very short throat in the chamber and when the blanks fire and the crimp unfolds, the combination of the sealer and the length of the blank sticks the spent case in place and no amount of yanking or banging the charging handle or the butt stock will extract it. I have 2 friends that work at another gun shop that each bought one last week, as did one other person. Everyone had the same results.......after 3 to 4 shots, the Lake City blanks stick in the chamber! Now on the X-Products' web site as well as the Can Cannon operator's manual both state: "Warning: Use mil spec blanks in this device only. Order from our web site." Well, how does it get any more mil spec than Lake City M200 blanks???

So I contacted the X-Products warranty department about the problem the next day and got the most lame response you could ever imagine. Quote from Derek: "It sometimes happens with blanks. They expand differently than a standard casing. The blanks we sell have a slight shorter neck and do not have that issue as often."

Seriously, this was the company's response! It took this collection of mad scientist/engineers how many months to get this product to market, it's source of propellant is mil spec blanks, but they don't work with mil spec blanks because blanks expand differently than a standard casing.....doh! They need to recall and fix the chambers in these, but judging by their response to me, I don't think they intend to do anything about it at this point. I took mine to a gunsmith to see if he could ream the throat and make it usable.

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND WARN EVERYONE YOU KNOW!
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Sooooooo anyone here welling to make me a tube I NEED one for my Mosin
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sooooooo anyone here welling to make me a tube I NEED one for my Mosin
View Quote

I need one (for an AR) too......
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I received your personal email this morning and responded with an address request so we could repair, replace or refund your Can Cannon. We will take a look at it and get you fixed up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I received your personal email this morning and responded with an address request so we could repair, replace or refund your Can Cannon. We will take a look at it and get you fixed up.
View Quote

A quick fix for something like this is to offer spare barrels. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That seems cost prohibitive.  Maybe a barrel swap, where they send one out immediately and a return shipping label, but that relies upon the end user being able to swap the barrel out them self, which I know is not 'difficult', but changing your tire/oil/battery/headlight isn't difficult either and people pay someone else to do it all the time. . .

Cool product, I think a lot of people will have fun with it.  

I'll give it three months until someone (not here) makes a video of it being used in a dangerous manner, 1 month later with the addition of fireworks/explosives, and a day more for someone to say we should ban them. Really kind of surprised it hasn't happened already.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That seems cost prohibitive.  Maybe a barrel swap, where they send one out immediately and a return shipping label, but that relies upon the end user being able to swap the barrel out them self, which I know is not 'difficult', but changing your tire/oil/battery/headlight isn't difficult either and people pay someone else to do it all the time. . .

I'll give it three months until someone (not here) makes a video of it being used in a dangerous manner, 1 month later with the addition of fireworks/explosives, and a day more for someone to say we should ban them. Really kind of surprised it hasn't happened already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The barrel change difficulty for this is on par with changing a lightbulb. I'm not kidding.

I meant offering spare barrels on the X products site, not including them for free.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The barrel change difficulty for this is on par with changing a lightbulb. I'm not kidding.

I meant offering spare barrels on the X products site, not including them for free.
View Quote

Oooh.  I'm all tarded.  Carry on.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone find a good price on blanks?

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I am bumping this to desperately try and save this thread.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

OOS darn near everywhere, does thread need saving?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OOS?

EDIT: Out of stock...?

Interesting point, but yeah... I think it needs saving.

Edit 2: The market is speaking—the can cannon w) upper is worth $400. Guess I am glad I jumped on this when I did.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I was hoping to see more pics of Cannons.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I swear they were on DSG Arms web site not that long ago, but I don't see them there now. Not even as out of stock.  Odd.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm gonna need to get me one of these things...
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I had ~121 max distance impacts using sams club 8oz soda. A 100' tape measure was used to measure, so it was decently accurate.

The angle was 40 degrees, determined using a digital torpedo level, aiming in through the top setting of my leaf sight at on a dot at my wall that was exactly eye level.

Maybe try running the numbers for muzzle velocity?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that a guess or an actual chronograph reading? I'd say if that's observational it's got to be slow, the math works out to 72.72 miles per hour.

well, lots of assumptions.

I used the kinematic equations of motion given 105 yards (stated) and 45deg launch angle (guesstimate)

I had ~121 max distance impacts using sams club 8oz soda. A 100' tape measure was used to measure, so it was decently accurate.

The angle was 40 degrees, determined using a digital torpedo level, aiming in through the top setting of my leaf sight at on a dot at my wall that was exactly eye level.

Maybe try running the numbers for muzzle velocity?

I haven't used this spreadsheet for anything other than bullet trajectories, so I don't know if the final result is accurate.

I've never been completely comfortable with this formulation in the way that it treats terminal velocity, but with iteration on theta and Vt, I have been able to get excellent agreement with rifle ballistic profiles in the supersonic region.  But, what I've noticed is that the Vt term for a converged solution always looked to be an order of magnitude less than closed-form terminal velocity calculation.

In this case of the soda can, I just used the straight closed form Vt of 174 fps.  This gives me a TOF of 5.0 seconds (the time steps are 0.5 seconds, and the can is still 22" above the ground at 120.8 yards).

I'm going to go back and look for videos to see how close my TOF is.  Like I said, I've always thought the Vt term was off by an order of magnitude - but, even if that's the case, I think I can iterate on a correct solution using TOF.  I'm guessing that nobody is daring enough to blast one of these things through an expensive chronograph?

This is a long thread, and I just clicked on the last couple pages, so I don't know if anyone's worked all of this out already.

[for some reason, the picture is only pasting in at 500 pixels instead of the normal 800]

145 fps muzzle velocity, if you can't make out the text in the photo.

ETA:
I think my terminal velocity calculation is off.  I'll have to check my spreadsheet later.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#35]
That is amazing, even if you think you might have screwed up!
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Terminal velocity was correct for metric, but not for Imperial.  Turns out that while I had correctly accounted for gc = 32.17 lbmft/lbfs2 , I had somehow dropped the pi term from the equation when cutting and pasting the metric equation.

I've corrected the Vt part of the equation, but I fear the incorrect equation just happened to give a better overall answer - but for the wrong reasons.  Strangely enough, these "100 yard" trajectories are in a range of Reynolds numbers where the drag coefficients are highly variable, and this effects the solution.  This simplistic Vt boundary condition approach actually seems to work better for bullet trajectories, because the drag coefficient is better behaved in the supersonic region.

I think a finite difference solution using a variable Cd, atmospheric parameters, etc, is the better approach, and I'll see if I can work something up for that.

In the meantime, here is the corrected (but not entirely accurate) solution.  I've worked up two solutions: one accounting for air drag, and the other zeroing out air drag (setting Vt -> large).  You can see a pretty large difference in initial velocities (70%) based on the two different assumptions.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
 I'm guessing that nobody is daring enough to blast one of these things through an expensive chronograph?
View Quote

Wrong.

Given the interest in the subject, I dragged out my CE ProChrono and the Can Cannon (pictured on previous page).

Four shots - two 12 oz cans and two 8 oz cans. 80s vintage LC M200 blanks. Results are as follows:

12 oz

Shot 1 - 111 fps
Shot 2 - 108 fps

8 oz

Shot 1 - 131 fps
Shot 2 - 127 fps

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wrong.

Given the interest in the subject, I dragged out my CE ProChrono and the Can Cannon (pictured on previous page).

Four shots - two 12 oz cans and two 8 oz cans. 80s vintage LC M200 blanks. Results are as follows:

12 oz

Shot 1 - 111 fps
Shot 2 - 108 fps

8 oz

Shot 1 - 131 fps
Shot 2 - 127 fps

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I'm guessing that nobody is daring enough to blast one of these things through an expensive chronograph?

Wrong.

12 oz

Shot 1 - 111 fps
Shot 2 - 108 fps

8 oz

Shot 1 - 131 fps
Shot 2 - 127 fps

Sweet!

I was going to chrono some next time I had it out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I bought one last weekend, stocked up on cheap pop, grabbed some boxes of Lake City M200 blanks and headed out to test it and make a video. After firing 3 cans, the 3rd blank stuck in the chamber and required prying the bolt open with a screwdriver. The problem appears to be a very short throat in the chamber and when the blanks fire and the crimp unfolds, the combination of the sealer and the length of the blank sticks the spent case in place and no amount of yanking or banging the charging handle or the butt stock will extract it. I have 2 friends that work at another gun shop that each bought one last week, as did one other person. Everyone had the same results.......after 3 to 4 shots, the Lake City blanks stick in the chamber! Now on the X-Products' web site as well as the Can Cannon operator's manual both state: "Warning: Use mil spec blanks in this device only. Order from our web site." Well, how does it get any more mil spec than Lake City M200 blanks???

So I contacted the X-Products warranty department about the problem the next day and got the most lame response you could ever imagine. Quote from Derek: "It sometimes happens with blanks. They expand differently than a standard casing. The blanks we sell have a slight shorter neck and do not have that issue as often."

Seriously, this was the company's response! It took this collection of mad scientist/engineers how many months to get this product to market, it's source of propellant is mil spec blanks, but they don't work with mil spec blanks because blanks expand differently than a standard casing.....doh! They need to recall and fix the chambers in these, but judging by their response to me, I don't think they intend to do anything about it at this point. I took mine to a gunsmith to see if he could ream the throat and make it usable.

View Quote

thanks for the 411
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was hoping to see more pics of Cannons.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wrong.

12 oz

Shot 1 - 111 fps
Shot 2 - 108 fps

8 oz

Shot 1 - 131 fps
Shot 2 - 127 fps

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

12 oz

Shot 1 - 111 fps
Shot 2 - 108 fps

8 oz

Shot 1 - 131 fps
Shot 2 - 127 fps

Cool!

How far can you launch an 8oz can?

I've revamped the spreadsheet to move away from the closed-form solution to a stepwise acceleration-based method.  For stable objects, I'm getting very good results benchmarking it against baseballs and 77SMK projectiles.

These soda cans, however, are not stable, and the drag coefficient is probably varying by +/-20% as the can tumbles.  Knowing TOF and impact distance can help me determine an average Cd.

To get 100+ yard impacts with 130 fps velocities, the drag coefficient has to either be much lower than what I think it should be, or I need to account for lift forces due to yaw, etc.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I was shooting the cans mouth side inward to the tube. I wonder if that reduces the compression area?

Also, the can could be sliding out a tad when the gun is held level.

I am absolutely certain of the distances. I even have pics of it somewhere. I'll see if I saved them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Tie a 2ft streamer to the tab of the can, and insert tab first down the bore.  The streamer may be enough to stabilize the can, and keep it from tumbling.  My gut feeling is that the launch won't see enough acceleration for the streamer to pull the tab open.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

thanks for the 411
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the 411

To a certain degree they are right.  Blanks for semi-and full autp weapons do work better with blank adapters as the pressure blowing back will help extract them.  They can get a bit sticky from welling under presser and not extracting.   Rare  but it can happen though usually it will just be a sticky bolt.. A really dirty chamber will be worse with blanks as well. A few guys I trained with found that out in the Army. (Not me, I cleaned my shit.    )
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Wacky! I just saw an ad for this in the back of Hot Rod magazine.

Guess I'm gonna.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, how does it get any more mil spec than Lake City M200 blanks???
I agree, definitely holding off on purchasing one due to the response you received.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#47]
I need to find some more blanks. I am having too much fun with this thing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well, how does it get any more mil spec than Lake City M200 blanks???
I agree, definitely holding off on purchasing one due to the response you received.
View Quote

I'm using LC M200 blanks too. It's not that big of a deal. Every once in a while one sticks and I 'mortar' the stock on the ground to get it unstuck. It seriously takes longer to describe than it takes to do it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I have yet to have any sticky cases and I have a legit 500 rounds through mine with no cleaning.

S'pose I should get on that some time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I have about 500+ rounds of different types  through mine as well.  I have had a few slightly sticky rounds but nothing a little tug on the charging handle wouldn't fix.

I have been hearing of a few more of these complaints here and there as well. I understand the mechanical reason for them to stick, but this should still only be 1 in many thousand or less. Not sure what to make of it.
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top