BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/6/2014 10:21:55 AM EDT
Just kidding..

Its bacon and country ham season....

In this thread we will be making Bacon, Country ham and Pastrami... So it could take a while.

Sodium is bad for you umkay!

I didnt take any pictures of  cleaning the bellies but they are quartered and skinned and in the deep frreze. Its going to take me months to cure and smoke it all. All said and done its about 130 pounds stuffed in my freezer.

ETA: if you don't like Nitrates this thread aint for you.. We are going to use cook and consume MASSIVE amounts of nitrates. So if that concerns you, Move along! I've had that argument and not looking for it again.

ETA: 11/7/14.   Bacon on Page 2.

ETA: 11/10/14  Pastrami on 2
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Most Halal!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#2]
outfuckingstanding
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#3]
$8.29lb for country ham, I'll buy steaks for less than that. You should just look into buying some hogs and having them processed has to be cheaper. Great to stock up on vacuum packed salted products will be good for years, like they have a chance of making it that long.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The dog has laser beam eyes for thine swine!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Holy schnikies.

'merica
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#6]
OP has a caged demon dog!

Or maybe a cyborg dog?!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$8.29lb for country ham, I'll buy steaks for less than that. You should just look into buying some hogs and having them processed has to be cheaper. Great to stock up on vacuum packed salted products will be good for years, like they have a chance of making it that long.
View Quote

the whole hams are 3.50 a pound. the individual packages are crazy expensive IMHO. However if you cant use the whole ham its an option. Obviously all the ham is not mine. I picked up for a couple of co-workers while i was making a pig run.

ETA: I think this has something to do with it. Pig prices have been rising.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/06/27/325529915/as-pig-virus-spreads-the-price-of-pork-continues-to-rise
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Cant wait til it turns into bacon....  MMMM, love the bacon.  And gunny looks most sad in his kennel.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cant wait til it turns into bacon....  MMMM, love the bacon.  And gunny looks most sad in his kennel.
View Quote

Yours will get done first. Hopefully.. would like to put it in your hands before Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice.    
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Giving up pork would always be a deal breaker with me on anything.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Tagged for porcine goodness.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing like a freezer full of delicious jihad repellent.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#16]
So OP isn't converting.  I like Muslims and Jews. More bacon for me
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh my, that is a lot of meat
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Tell me more about making Pastrami.  Within the last year I finally tasted some Pastrami and found that I love it.  I need to learn this skill.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Pic from last couple years to show more clearly whats in the freezer. I am limited to certain sizes to work with because of may vacuum sealer.

Going to set a couple of slabs in cure tomorrow so will have the start of the process tomorrow. Will start Pastrami on monday or tue.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tell me more about making Pastrami.  Within the last year I finally tasted some Pastrami and found that I love it.  I need to learn this skill.
View Quote

We will get into that on Tue
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what she said.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's what she said.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what she said.

I was going to say a lot of fat.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#24]
El Taggarino.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#25]
subscribed for the win!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread is relevant to my stomach's interests. I have a free supply of feral pork. Killed 3 in two weeks. Def want to get into some charcuterie with them.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Glorious!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Hnnnnggggggg. Nice.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

This thread is relevant to my stomach's interests. I have a free supply of feral pork. Killed 3 in two weeks. Def want to get into some charcuterie with them.

http://youtu.be/ZFuybide5m8

View Quote

I have personally seen the fine rifle and scope that made those shots.  :)

Nice work!

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey OP.  

When you're done, make me some pon haus.

The store bought stuff is called "scrapple" for y'all uninitiated basterds out there.  

I gots me a hankerin'.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hey OP.  

The store bought stuff is called "scrapple" for y'all uninitiated basterds out there.  

I gots me a hankerin'.
View Quote

I have had scrapple. That shit sucks.. Sorry..

Don't hate me man.

My Omi was from Germany and would make head cheese annually. I have been tempted to attempt that if for no other reasons than it grosses my wife out.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#32]
OST for more pork goodness.

We Razorbacks are what we eat.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Don't hate me man.

My Omi was from Germany and would make head cheese annually. I have been tempted to attempt that if for no other reasons than it grosses my wife out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey OP.  

I gots me a hankerin'.

Don't hate me man.

Describe your scrapple experience and what toppings if any you used.

I'm a fan of thick sliced scrapple, slow fried till it gets crispy on the outside and is still moist and a bit squishy inside.  Then I eat it with one of the following depending on my mood:  Ketchup, Vinegar, or (and this is awesome) Maple syrup.

How the scrapple is made is important.  There are parts that don't go in it unless you're looking to make it taste like shit.  No organ meats allowed.  Period.

Head cheese is awesome in sammiches.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm a fan of thick sliced scrapple, slow fried till it gets crispy on the outside and is still moist and a bit squishy inside.  Then I eat it with one of the following depending on my mood:  Ketchup, Vinegar, or (and this is awesome) Maple syrup.

How the scrapple is made is important.  There are parts that don't go in it unless you're looking to make it taste like shit. No organ meats allowed.  Period.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey OP.  

I gots me a hankerin'.

Don't hate me man.

How the scrapple is made is important.  There are parts that don't go in it unless you're looking to make it taste like shit. No organ meats allowed.  Period.

I thought that was the point? seriously, i have no idea. was not raised on scrapple so have no friggin clue.

Scrapple was store bought Neeses
http://www.neesesausage.com/

And i never heard of toppings on breakfast meat..

I sliced it maybe a 1/3rd of an inch and fried it in bacon fat in cast iron. Crispy on the outside soft on the inside.

It just had a weird iron taste like liver. I am pretty sure the label said Spleen..

ETA: Yup.. Livers and Spleens

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Delmorte is a dummy.... I know he lives around Charlotte, so he SHOULD be eating Liver Mush (liver pudding is good too) preferably from Neese's.
NEESE'S

Hey Delmorte.... where did you get all that pig?

-ZA
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Delmorte is a dummy.... I know he lives around Charlotte, so he SHOULD be eating Liver Mush (liver pudding is good too) preferably from Neese's.
NEESE'S

Hey Delmorte.... where did you get all that pig?

-ZA
View Quote

one post up
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#37]
That's scrapple... not liver mush. Get with the program!

-ZA
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's scrapple... not liver mush. Get with the program!

-ZA
View Quote

I meant the neeses.

There is no reason to eat liver.. ever.... I feed that crap to my dog.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#39]
A la snackbar
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I thought that was the point? seriously, i have no idea. was not raised on scrapple so have no friggin clue.

I sliced it maybe a 1/3rd of an inch and fried it in bacon fat in cast iron. Crispy on the outside soft on the inside.

It just had a weird iron taste like liver. I am pretty sure the label said Spleen..

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/540419_10151319176943491_526623684_n.jpg?oh=f1e852c18f6b1fe5953bf77fdbae1cd9&oe=54EF9486
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey OP.  

I gots me a hankerin'.

Don't hate me man.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/540419_10151319176943491_526623684_n.jpg?oh=f1e852c18f6b1fe5953bf77fdbae1cd9&oe=54EF9486

Spleen?   Well that's yer problem right there.  Yikes!

Getcha pound of  this if you gotta go store bought.

Ignore where it says liver.  There's not enough of it in there to taste.  

Better yet, get a recipe and make your own without liver.  I kid you not.  It's fucking awesome if it's made right.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#41]
That Neese's stuff is interesting.

The ingredients list "Pork Cereals".

I have never heard of such a thing.  If pork cereals exist why don't we have bacon cheerios?  Or sausage wheeties?

I ask why to the Universe.  WHY?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Taggage. I'm thinking about getting pigs or a few cows on a ranchette in the not-too-distant future.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Oh and about pork livers:

Never eat one unless the cells are still ALIVE when you put your slice in the skillet with the butter.  

Seriously.  Don't let it get cool.  While they're scraping the bristles off the pig, heat up a skillet and pull the mashed taters and grilled onions out of the oven where they've been warming.  

The liver should be the first organ you root out of Mr. Piggy's abdomen.  Lose the gall bladder, slice it 3/4 " thick, and toss it in the hot clarified butter.  Sear it and serve it rare.  

Trust me.  It's nothing like any liver you've ever tasted.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f69/racecar13/Scrapple01.jpg

Better yet, get a recipe and make your own without liver.  I kid you not.  It's fucking awesome if it's made right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey OP.  

I gots me a hankerin'.

Don't hate me man.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f69/racecar13/Scrapple01.jpg

Yea... because pork SNOUTS is way better.

-ZA
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Prosciutto de Parma

Not smoked, just dried.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Winning!
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yea... because pork SNOUTS is way better.

-ZA
View Quote

You have no idea how many pork snouts you've eaten.  

Hint:  It's a big number.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Bloomberg does not approve.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Bloomberg does not approve.
View Quote

He should check out my 32 ounce soda cups.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#50]
you got it happening.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top