Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2014 9:37:09 PM EDT
The U.S. Marine Corps will phase out the Boeing AV-8B Harrier II jump jet by 2025 — about five years earlier than planned — and will instead extend the life of its fleet of aging Boeing F/A-18 Hornet strike fighter.

In previous years, the service had said it would replace its increasingly older fleet of original model Boeing F/A-18A – D Hornet strike fighters before retiring the Harriers before replacing both fighters with the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lighting II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF).

http://news.usni.org/2014/11/03/u-s-marines-retire-harrier-fleet-early-planned-extend-life-hornets
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Given that the Marines bought all the RAF GR.3/7/9 aircraft to provide spare parts for their AV-8Bs, I can imagine that parts may be a problem 11 years from now - especially if we keep the Optempo at its' current pace.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given that the Marines bought all the RAF GR.3/7/9 aircraft to provide spare parts for their AV-8Bs, I can imagine that parts may be a problem 11 years from now - especially if we keep the Optempo at its' current pace.
View Quote

Parts have always been a problem...  We only bought the GR 7/9 parts.  The GR 3 was a completely different beast (think AV-8A).

That's yours truly taking off in the second photo shown in the article.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
A new SCB-125 and you don't lose the capability on ships.

(I know this is crazy talk, but the LHA/Ds are similar in size to the CdG)
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can have all the spare parts in the world but it won't help if the airframe is cracking and fatigued.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Parts have always been a problem...  We only bought the GR 7/9 parts.  The GR 3 was a completely different beast (think AV-8A).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool!
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad.  Ass.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Every time I fulled up Harriers I was worried they would fall apart right there, same thing for some F-18s from my airstation's home squadron.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm having a hard time thinking of anything the Harrier offers us that we need today.... It's a really cool jet, but given that we aren't hiding them in the German forests or landing them on surface streets in Europe like we planned to during the Cold War, all I see is a slow multi-role aircraft that is outclassed by pretty much every other combat aircraft in our inventory.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm having a hard time thinking of anything the Harrier offers us that we need today.... It's a really cool jet, but given that we aren't hiding them in the German forests or landing them on surface streets in Europe like we planned to during the Cold War, all I see is a slow multi-role aircraft that is outclassed by pretty much every other combat aircraft in our inventory.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#11]
What are the Marines going to fly off of their assault ships until their F35 is fielded in significant numbers?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool!  I have always loved the Harrier and it takes a badass to fly one.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truly jealous - 1/4 of a diopter beyond the limits of refractive error on ONE flight physical out of five, ughhh.  My luck I would have been driving a 46  At least I could have made some grunts get out of my bus to give me a push start
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

But you have Marines flying them. 21 year USMC Air Wing vet. A-4's, F-4's, F-18's, AV-8's, F-5's.Sometimes it's not the platform but who is driving it. I have got some stories....
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Truly jealous - 1/4 of a diopter beyond the limits of refractive error on ONE flight physical out of five, ughhh.  
View Quote

LOL...Wut?!?!
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You can have all the spare parts in the world but it won't help if the airframe is cracking and fatigued.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also doesn't fucking help that we blow our funds on bullshit spending for the FSA and pork barrel projects.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what told by guys in the aviation hall way, unlike FA-18s the AV-8s won't actually have an air frame fatigue issue
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What are the Marines going to fly off of their assault ships until their F35 is fielded in significant numbers?
View Quote

Ospreys, Cobras, and other rotary winged things.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since they're not being retired until 2025, I would say Harriers.

I'm sure there will be F-35s aplenty by then.

But I wouldn't bet on it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Wasn't a good portion of the Harrier fleet destroyed at BAF?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

No just six birds were lost two were damaged . Still a terrible thing that never should have happened and only did because of complacency and the fact that an officer cut the force that defended the base by over a third.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are not "our" ships,we just let the Navy taxi us around so we can kick some ass.  But you call them boats just to piss off the Sailors. All in good fun.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, it was a very expensive loss.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Why do marines need an aircraft carrier with strike aircraft?  Couldn't they just leave it to the navy?  I could see marines having a carrier for a lot of helicopters.

And with all of the delays for the F35, I think the harriers and F18's are going to have to last a lot longer.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why do marines need an aircraft carrier with strike aircraft?  Couldn't they just leave it to the navy?  I could see marines having a carrier for a lot of helicopters.

And with all of the delays for the F35, I think the harriers and F18's are going to have to last a lot longer.
View Quote

We don't always need a carrier to do what we need these ships to do, a full sized nuke carrier would be over kill. Carriers also don't carry around a reinforced battalion of Marine Infantry.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckin' ARFCOM is an amazing place.

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#28]
The F/A-18 pilots in my squadron called them stinkbugs
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
I agree to this.  More hype than capability.  For the heavy logistics footprint you get 15 minutes on station and not a lot of ordnance.  For all the capabilities it supposedly brings from a MEU there are notable work arounds such as: hornet or superhornets from a CVN, conventional strike aircraft flown in advance and mid-air refueled enroute and other such strike craft landing, refueling and rearming at a foward expeditionary air field.  There might be three historical examples where the Harrier's VSTOL has been beneficial but there also could have been work arounds for most of them.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think being able to launch and recover on Essex class (and similar sized) carriers is fairly significant.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What can it do? Fly off of not-CVNs. Is that essential to our national security? No, I don't think so. It's helpful though.
Quoted:
Quoted:

No just six birds were lost two were damaged . Still a terrible thing that never should have happened and only did because of complacency and the fact that an officer cut the force that defended the base by over a third.

It was near KAF (Camp Bastion), not BAF.
Quoted:

Because Marines.

The Marine pilots are trained by Marines to speak to Marines and support Marines. Plus they work for Marine bosses. It's able to be worked around in theory, but I wouldn't give it up if I was the Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Harrier AIM-120 capability?  What a waste of money.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What can it do? Fly off of not-CVNs. Is that essential to our national security? No, I don't think so. It's helpful though.

Because Marines.

The Marine pilots are trained by Marines to speak to Marines and support Marines. Plus they work for Marine bosses. It's able to be worked around in theory, but I wouldn't give it up if I was the Marine Corps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because Marines.

Re the red:
That element, tactical air that's organic to your organization and whose pilots speak your language and know your training, seems to be the Army types' biggest envy of the Marines--that is, according to my non-scientific sampling of the military folk on ARFcom
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:02:27 AM EDT
[#34]
F-35B should be ready pretty damn soon.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#35]

I wish Big Army was allowed to have our own CAS instead of having to beg the Air Force to put down their X-Boxes and golf clubs to come blow up shit for us we can't reach.

Marines losing their own CAS, dependent more on the USN is bad practice.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:13:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I wonder how long its going to take for those shiny new F-35s the USMC gets from the factory to go from ready to execute day 1 strikes to beat up pieces of shit with no LO attributes and six pylons, rotting away on the flightline.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

LOL...Wut?!?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truly jealous - 1/4 of a diopter beyond the limits of refractive error on ONE flight physical out of five, ughhh.  

LOL...Wut?!?!

The cycloplegic test kept me out of Pensacola and on to Marine Infantry and the lovely Camp Horno.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:21:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I wonder how long its going to take for those shiny new F-35s the USMC gets from the factory to go from ready to execute day 1 strikes to beat up pieces of shit with no LO attributes and six pylons, rotting away on the flightline.
View Quote

Could they use six pylons? I was under the impression that they launched fairly close to their max weight with just fuel and internal weapons ...
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:33:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Could they use six pylons? I was under the impression that they launched fairly close to their max weight with just fuel and internal weapons ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course it can.  The USMC is going to have them conducting VTOL ops close to the FLOT with 1.5k internal fuel then go hit the osprey tanker.  I'm only half joking.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Six destroyed and two damaged and unflightworthy to be used as spare parts.  The squadron was literally no longer a squadron at that point.  Worst loss in the history of US aviation (any branch) since Viet Nam.  Damn bold and smart raid conducted by a squad of dudes with cheap AKs and RPGs.  All but one died, I would say from their perspective it was worth it to make a squadron combat ineffective.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

You sir, have big water cooled brass balls.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

They won't.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:03:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They won't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They won't.

If we treat the F-35 the same way we treat our Hornets and Harriers w/ regards to upkeep and upgrades then you can bet it will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top