BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I was trying to make a point in a round about way that you were being a douchebag.  I appreciate the opportunity to clarify my previous remark.

I have the same lamentations with my wife's Tahoe. 5% of the time I wish it were 3' longer and a Suburban. Some of the time she wishes it were a Grand Cherokee. Most of the time we are happy with the Tahoe's size.

Choices need to be made and lived with.
View Quote

Wow, you are a deep derp thinker!!!!!!!!

Back at ya Sparky!
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Did you get a custom tune with the Accessport or use one of the preset maps?

I am looking at doing downpipe and intake and then would need a tune.

Frankly, even the OEM car map could benefit from a tune.  I am not all that impressed with the smoothness or consistency of the powerband, as impressive as it is.

I think if I go Stage 2 this thing will be killer and reliable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just stopped in to say I love my WRX. 2015 WRB, mods so far are a Cobb Accessport, and Cobb shift knob. I'll be doing exhaust soon, probably right after the first of the year, kind of waiting to see what else is coming out soon. When I picked mine up I test drove another that had the factory short shifter and decided to wait to see what  the aftermarket companies come up with. The factory one made some difference but I think it could be better.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/RRTX/media/WRXonpp_zps15125fd9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/RRTX/WRXonpp_zps15125fd9.jpg</a>

Frankly, even the OEM car map could benefit from a tune.  I am not all that impressed with the smoothness or consistency of the powerband, as impressive as it is.

Running the preset 93 octane Stage 1 tune. It seemed to add some power but the big difference is now the power comes on much smoother across the entire RPM range rather than that sudden kick it had stock.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If the STI still has the better differentials, then STI is definitely the way to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course I can afford the extra money of the STI but I really don't care about the adjustable suspension. The 2015 STI has the same STI engine as the previous years, the WRX has an upgraded 2.0 engine. Zero to 60 for base model will still be the fastest car I've ever owned so I'm not worried. My main goal is to have a 6 speed transmission, almost 30 mpg on long drives and a reliable car that I can drive all winter long(all wheel drive). I'm not going to throw money away for no reason, I plan on ordering the short throw shifter and the STI upgraded mufflers for my base model WRX.

The STi isn't just adjustable suspension and the motor. The entire drivetrain is different, as well as brakes, suspension, etc.

If the STI still has the better differentials, then STI is definitely the way to go.

It does, but unless you are going to do some very serious Auto-X or HPDE/Track Days then the WRX is perfect for the street. For $10k less it is a pretty decent bargain considering that the base GTI/GLI is around $2,000 more then the base WRX. Plus the insurance on an STi is a bit more.

OP, check out the BMW 3-series X-drive as well as the Audi A4 in the brands CPO sales.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The STi is a ripoff and meant for people that actually race the vehicle. The $10k+ additional price gets you a fractional amount of extra HP but with an additional 100lbs of weight.

Don't believe me, believe the results:

2015 WRX
http://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/wrx#

2015 WRX STi
http://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/wrx-sti#

$10k for that tiny bit of extra oomph. Take HALF that money and apply it to the regular WRX and beat the snot out of a stock STi. The STi tries to justify its price by adding tons of electronic aids and the ability to alter the differential. Your average buyer will probably never even bother reading in the manual how to adjust this stuff, nor would they even need to change anything if they did read it.
ah, I see you made the sensible choice rather than just the cool badge on the back.
View Quote

Electronic differentials, sport suspension, Brembo brakes. It's not a rip off, just not needed on a daily driver.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Subie sleeper here. 2005 Legacy GT
Stage 2 with Invidia DP and STI up pipe.
Stock cat back so the BMW and vtec kiddos really get schooled.
It's loads of fun. MPG is only in the 25's but with awd and the tune, it's a good trade off

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's loads of fun. MPG is only in the 25's but with awd and the tune, it's a good trade off

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr258/gear_monkey/subie_zpsd9fd392b.jpg
View Quote

Too bad they stopped making them. I wanted to buy one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Running the preset 93 octane Stage 1 tune. It seemed to add some power but the big difference is now the power comes on much smoother across the entire RPM range rather than that sudden kick it had stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just stopped in to say I love my WRX. 2015 WRB, mods so far are a Cobb Accessport, and Cobb shift knob. I'll be doing exhaust soon, probably right after the first of the year, kind of waiting to see what else is coming out soon. When I picked mine up I test drove another that had the factory short shifter and decided to wait to see what  the aftermarket companies come up with. The factory one made some difference but I think it could be better.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/RRTX/media/WRXonpp_zps15125fd9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/RRTX/WRXonpp_zps15125fd9.jpg</a>

Cobb maps are pretty damn good, a little conservative but that's what you want.

I drive a bugeye and they still support/update my maps. I wish I'd bought Cobb exhaust too instead of Borla.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Go check out NASIOC

Also look at the Cobb Tunning products. I have an access port on my 06 WRX.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

From what I have read that generation of Legacy is overbuilt and bulletproof.

That is a fantastic car.  Manual or Auto?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:52:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 2006 WRX, still stock except for wheels/tires and brakes (not big brake). I have 32K hard miles on it. It needs a new clutch already, and no, I NEVER launched it or burned the clutch or anything. Pressure plate fingers are making a creaking sound and it kicks on take off. Apparently if a manual transmission AWD car isn't something you've driven before, you can wear the clutch faster than normal. Maybe the mechanic was telling me that so I wouldn't feel bad?

Anyway, the STI is NOT the same car. It isn't just a more powerful engine. The transmission is stronger (or at least it was in years past), bigger brakes, true limited slip front differential, torque bias, adjustable suspension, and other things. For what it costs it's a hell of a value.

All WRX cars, including the STI are raw and rough around the edges. Expect wind noise, dash panels creaking, road noise, and a rough ride due to stiffer suspension. What you're paying is for the performance not comfort or luxury. Oh, and Subaru paint IS SHIT, and has been for a long time. This is well known. The clear coat on the plastic parts of my car has worn off in places. Thankfully my car is white and doesn't show much. I kept it covered daily for years, always washed and waxed it and have maintained it well. I got mine new and paid under 25K for mine before tax, title, financing, etc. and after a clutch change and some other minor fixes I could probably sell it for 17K so they hold their value well.

I'll agree with the general opinion, get the short throw shifter. I didn't get any options with my car when I ordered it and this is the one thing I wish I had gotten. Really regret it.

Having said everything above I still love my car and drive the hell out of it. It could use a drop, a Cobb AP stage 1 at the least, and then it would make me fall in love again. Unfortunately other things have taken priority over the years. I would have gotten the STI but the extra insurance cost as well as extra 8K at the time were a no go for me. IF you can afford the STI comfortably get it, you'll be happier. Either way they are fucking fun cars to drive and other owners will wave at you.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:19:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bought the g/f an '07.  Love that fucking car, even with all it's fucking rattling tin can feeling interior.  On Pirelli all seasons it had no problem in last year's winter in NW Indiana.

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I was 36 with a 830 credit score when I bought my STI.  They car salesman looked very anxious but friendly.  When we finished the deal he said you know, your not our typical type of customer who buys an STI.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an auto (5EAT). My previous car was a manual so I was a bit done with traffic and shifting.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Isn't the "Boxer rumble" only there due to the Unequal Length Headers?

Also, aren't Unequal Length Headers slightly worse than Equal Length Headers when it comes to performance numbers?

Here is a video comparing UeLH and ELH sounds.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the advice, I have been checking out the Cobb parts and the borla exhaust sounds really nice. When I test drove a WRX the shifter wasn't that smooth so that's why I ordered the short throw shifter. I'm not picky about interiors of cars like wind noise, dash rattles etc, I ordered the new WRX because I like the way it looks, I was very comfortable during test drive, price was great, plenty fast enough and fun to drive. I'm not the type of person who will do large burn out smoke shows with cars and I don't plan on dumping the clutch and beating the living shit out of the car. I will step on the gas when merging on the highway, passing etc. If I feel car needs upgrades after the warranty period is up I will add quality parts then.

For the guys wondering if I can afford the car etc...I bought a brand new Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel for $32,000 in 2001 and paid it off without issues(current car Honda Civic bought new never missed a payment), I've never missed a car payment or any payment in my life, when I buy a car I think about 3 factors, how it drives, cost of ownership and does it work for my needs(good in snow, mpg that is not under 10, does it cost a ton to service BMW etc).

The STI does get slightly less MPG over the standard WRX, The engine of the STI is an older design not as efficient. The STI is slightly higher to insure, The STI is higher for maintenance costs(Brembo brakes cost more than standard etc), The STI is $10,000 more so payment is higher, If you factor in all the extra costs especially the payments I felt it wasn't worth the extra cost. I'm a rather conservative person, when I buy or put together an AR15 I buy a standard model, I don't buy a $500 trigger and add tons of extras, When I do buy things extra for rifles I buy quality like aimpoint etc...I'm sure with my outstanding credit rating I could get a loan for a Porshe 911 but who the fuck wants to pay the cost of insurance and maintenance etc. Many guys can afford to buy a Ferrari but they can't afford to drive it due to maintenance costs. Subaru has excellent resale value, I could always trade the car in for something faster in a few years. Before I ordered the Subaru I did tons of research and that was my decision.

This car I ordered is going to feet like rocket ship for me since I've been driving around in 2001 dodge ram diesel and 2012 honda civic which are rather slow. Being a manual transmission it's going to be a blast.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I ordered a 2015 Subaru WRX but a few days later found this car new on the lot, I bought it fast. 6 speed manual, $25,508 before taxes. Car drives amazing, handles like it's on rails, the interior is a major upgrade to older WRX models. So far I have 300 miles.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice WRX. Couldn't wait, eh?

I'm not a fan of white cars, but I think you'll be happy with how it drives.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Very nice!  My '13 is white too.  Good looking car.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Beautiful!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Gorgeous.

My first Subie was white, I mistakenly went black for the second.

White will be the next one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Very nice!  My '13 is white too.  Good looking car.

View Quote

Many owners are still waiting for 6 months to get their cars, When I saw this car being dropped off I jumped quick because they don't last long, the white looks amazing in person. I wish I could drive it better lol, but by the time the 1000 miles break in period is over I will have the car mastered. I stalled a few times this week in heavy traffic but I'm getting smoother with the 6 speed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#22]
You win the internet for not buying one with the goofy spoiler. Dig the clean look.

I'm still waiting for the WRX hatchback to come out... I may buy the wife an XV tho.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#23]
The steering wheel feels so amazing!!! The handling is like it's on rails, Subaru did a great job with the interior, is a major upgrade, no rattles or noises. Average MPG so far is 22, mostly slow city and back road driving.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The steering wheel feels so amazing!!! The handling is like it's on rails, Subaru did a great job with the interior, is a major upgrade, no rattles or noises. Average MPG so far is 22, mostly slow city and back road driving.
View Quote

I was about ready to say "I don't need to be reminded of the upgraded interior."

And from what I hear about the squeaks, if you're doesn't have them they must've missed installing that option at the factory.  I think squeaky interiors re OEM with Subaru.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And from what I hear about the squeaks, if you're doesn't have them they must've missed installing that option at the factory.  I think squeaky interiors re OEM with Subaru.
View Quote

Yep, squeaks and pops from the interior came standard on my Subaru-built vehicle too. Plus engine crickets! Chirp chirp chirp chirp...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was about ready to say "I don't need to be reminded of the upgraded interior."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well ,It's only 300 miles so far lol, might need a few thousand for rattles
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#27]
More miles or drop in temperature.  The first fall day where the weather dips below 50 degrees I hear things that I haven't heard all summer....

Heck, screw all that, it's a fantastic car, drive the wheels off of it!

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you can't afford $200 per month more on your payment, you have no business buying a new car in the first place.

Take Econ 101 please.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would love to buy the STI but that is $35,000 to start with, the base model WRX is $25,000. $10,000 is a lot of money for me. Payments will be $600 plus instead of $400. I'll most likely order it from factory with short throw shifter, it's only $348 option. I test drove a 2014 EVO and damn it was amazing, price was $39,000 and they wouldn’t move down. I live in NY so it's not an option to buy a mustang or camaro, it rains or snows a lot so the all wheel drive daily driver is better. THe STI gets way less mpg. I'll try a subaru forum and see what they say about different mufflers. Thanks for the input.

If you can't afford $200 per month more on your payment, you have no business buying a new car in the first place.

Take Econ 101 please.  

Way to shit in the guys thread. You must be a blast at parties.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Sharp WRX.

Tint those windows and it will look super sharp.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
WTF?  Take "How Not To Be A Douchenozzle 101" please.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would love to buy the STI but that is $35,000 to start with, the base model WRX is $25,000. $10,000 is a lot of money for me. Payments will be $600 plus instead of $400. I'll most likely order it from factory with short throw shifter, it's only $348 option. I test drove a 2014 EVO and damn it was amazing, price was $39,000 and they wouldn’t move down. I live in NY so it's not an option to buy a mustang or camaro, it rains or snows a lot so the all wheel drive daily driver is better. THe STI gets way less mpg. I'll try a subaru forum and see what they say about different mufflers. Thanks for the input.

Take Econ 101 please.  
WTF?  Take "How Not To Be A Douchenozzle 101" please.  

I think he's from the "borrow the max amount you're approved for" school of home buying.

For someone who was so snarky about economics, he seemed to miss the fact that jumping from $400 to $600 is a 50% increase. I'm not rich, but can afford to have a reasonably nice pair of family vehicles. $200/month is still nothing to sneeze at if your combined monthly car nut is over $1000.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Take Econ 101 please.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take Econ 101 please.  

Stupidest comment on Arfcom today.  Congrats,
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take Econ 101 please.  

+1
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Take Econ 101 please.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take Econ 101 please.  

Maybe he wants to actually put some money into his 401(k) instead of a bigger car payment.  What the hell?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice ride.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take Econ 101 please.  

I can't even wrap my head around the logic...or lack thereof. Unless you're a millionaire, everybody has a maximum amount they can budget before eating into something else.

"if you can afford a Corvette, you might as well buy a Ferrari instead".
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks too clean.  Needs more power slides in the dirt.  

Nice ride though!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top