BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am not a fan of the spoiler and think that WRB comes from the factory with a squad car attached.  But I saw a '15 STI Launch Edition on the road last week and it was sexy.  I could easily make due with that car.

Most owners of late model WRX's that I've run into have been adults in their 30's, 40's and even 50's.  I have seen very few young (20-ish) kids in these cars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know the demographics that the WRX is marketed to is people half my age but I like them and have been thinking about picking one up for a daily driver on days I don't need a truck. I messed up and drove an STI last year and was very impressed, I would have come home with it but they didn't want to sell it that day. It had just come in and they wanted to keep it on hand for an event the next week. I cooled off and didn't go back for it but I'm getting the bug again. I'll probably opt for one that is not an STI if I get one, don't care much for that oversized rear spoiler.

I am not a fan of the spoiler and think that WRB comes from the factory with a squad car attached.  But I saw a '15 STI Launch Edition on the road last week and it was sexy.  I could easily make due with that car.

Most owners of late model WRX's that I've run into have been adults in their 30's, 40's and even 50's.  I have seen very few young (20-ish) kids in these cars.

In my area most of the WRX drivers are high school brats trying to race the other high school brats that have new BMW's.  I don't care either way, I'm 56 and can pull off driving anything I choose to own. I was thinking about a Porsche Cayenne but I think they are a little pretentious, nice cars but they just don't suit my personality and even though they claim to be SUV's they are too prissy for the long gravel road I drive on every day.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't let the short shifter be a deal breaker. It's easy to install one. Also plan on getting a Cobb Accessport and going stage 1 as soon as it is broken in. Makes the car run sooooo much better.

Also, go here.

Edit:  Wife and I are in our 50s and love our WRX.   The handling is as much of a positive as the power & AWD.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes on the short throw.

WRX has the least turbo lag of any turbo car I have ever driven.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had two bug-eye WRX's, and an 06 LGT Spec B (possibly the best car I've ever owned, even ahead of my current G37X).  I have a cousin with a very heavily modified 06 WRX, and my brother has a '13 WRX hatchback.  I have a lot of experience with the brand.

Do get the short-throw shifter.  

Do get a subtle color, especially if you are young.  WRX's are cop magnets.  Both of mine were WR Blue and I got stopped.  My LGT was a unique silver/grey and it was like a stealth fighter.  I could maintain stupid speeds in front of the po-po and they wouldn't even blink at me.  Gray or silver are good bets for you.

I'd skip the exhaust.  Just attracts the wrong kind of attention and it may bug you on commutes after the novelty wears off.  I'd leave it as stock as possible if it is your DD.

I also agree with the poster who suggested that if you can't stretch the STI, perhaps a brand new WRX isn't the best financial move.  Why not look for a low miles 1 year old car, still under warranty?  Someone else has taken the biggest hit on depreciation, and you can still get a reasonably new, warrantied car.  You might also be able to afford some options or a higher trim level that way.  All of the mods you are talking about can easily be done by a dealer to a used car.

Be smart about big purchases at this point in your life, if you are as young as you sound.  Put the 4-5K you might save toward snow tires and other investments for your future.  Trust me after 6 weeks of ownership of a new car vs a responsibly-owned car with 10K miles, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two, other than looking at the odo.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would love to buy the STI but that is $35,000 to start with, the base model WRX is $25,000. $10,000 is a lot of money for me. Payments will be $600 plus instead of $400. I'll most likely order it from factory with short throw shifter, it's only $348 option. I test drove a 2014 EVO and damn it was amazing, price was $39,000 and they wouldn’t move down. I live in NY so it's not an option to buy a mustang or camaro, it rains or snows a lot so the all wheel drive daily driver is better. THe STI gets way less mpg. I'll try a subaru forum and see what they say about different mufflers. Thanks for the input.
View Quote

The STi and the WRX get the same mpg... unless you opt for the CVT in the WRX. At which point you shall be shot, castrated, and then burned at the stake.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Of course I can afford the extra money of the STI but I really don't care about the adjustable suspension. The 2015 STI has the same STI engine as the previous years, the WRX has an upgraded 2.0 engine. Zero to 60 for base model will still be the fastest car I've ever owned so I'm not worried. My main goal is to have a 6 speed transmission, almost 30 mpg on long drives and a reliable car that I can drive all winter long(all wheel drive). I'm not going to throw money away for no reason, I plan on ordering the short throw shifter and the STI upgraded mufflers for my base model WRX.
View Quote

The STi isn't just adjustable suspension and the motor. The entire drivetrain is different, as well as brakes, suspension, etc.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The STi isn't just adjustable suspension and the motor. The entire drivetrain is different, as well as brakes, suspension, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course I can afford the extra money of the STI but I really don't care about the adjustable suspension. The 2015 STI has the same STI engine as the previous years, the WRX has an upgraded 2.0 engine. Zero to 60 for base model will still be the fastest car I've ever owned so I'm not worried. My main goal is to have a 6 speed transmission, almost 30 mpg on long drives and a reliable car that I can drive all winter long(all wheel drive). I'm not going to throw money away for no reason, I plan on ordering the short throw shifter and the STI upgraded mufflers for my base model WRX.

If the STI still has the better differentials, then STI is definitely the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd leave the thing stock for a while and just drive it. You can see what you like and don't like and move from there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Just ordered the 2015 WRX charcoal gray, It was $26,183, My credit is top of the charts so I will get the best % rate when it comes in, I am 41 years old and my insurance will be $102 a month. Payments will be around $390-$420, depends on how much I give as down payment, I will have 3 months to save up even more money, I would have been able to put down $10,000 or more if I didn't pay off two credit cards($2500), get married and pay off two rings etc. This is a perfect daily driver car for NY state since it snows and rains all the time. I love all types of cars and considered Mustang GT, Challenger etc. Thanks for all the input.

Only option ordered was factory short throw shifter.

These cars last 30 seconds on a dealer lot even used so I'm not worried about resale value etc. I make really smart choices, my last two cars have been honda civics that have been perfect with zero issues in 206,000 miles and 60,000 miles. I'm still keeping my Honda 2012.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"deep rumble"?

"Subaru"?

View Quote

You've obviously never been next to an STI with an aftermarket exhaust at a traffic light. If you do think actually think a turbo boxer engine sounds bad than I guess you should should stick to cross plane crank v8s that rev low and don't make too much more power than the turbo boxer makes with half the cylinders.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#11]
If you haven't plunked down money yet test drive the 2014 forester XT, way more versatile car with same engine, drive train, suspension, wheels, tires, and doesn't scream "rice burner" .
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm planning on ordering a base model 2015 Subaru WRX with 6 speed manual transmission, Should I order the short throw shifter? Have no clue which color to pick, I'm thinking of the dark blue or the Charcoal gray. Once I receive the car I want to upgrade the mufflers to a performance type, any thoughts on this? Not a fart pipe but better flow with some more deep rumble. Thanks for any input.
View Quote
Cobb or Invidia, and Cobb ACCESSPORT
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
where are you going to put your free OBAMA sticker?

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You'd be surprised at the rumble I've heard from those with a good exhaust.  Especially the rally cars.

My SRT-4 rumbles a bit too... factory exhaust, no mufflers.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"deep rumble"?

"Subaru"?

You'd be surprised at the rumble I've heard from those with a good exhaust.  Especially the rally cars.

My SRT-4 rumbles a bit too... factory exhaust, no mufflers.  

There is something about the old school boxer sound that might be going away with the new 2.0l DIT.

A 2.5l with SPT exhaust sounds amazing.  It really is a deep rumble.  It almost sounds like a double stroke drum roll.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In my area most of the WRX drivers are high school brats trying to race the other high school brats that have new BMW's.  I don't care either way, I'm 56 and can pull off driving anything I choose to own. I was thinking about a Porsche Cayenne but I think they are a little pretentious, nice cars but they just don't suit my personality and even though they claim to be SUV's they are too prissy for the long gravel road I drive on every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know the demographics that the WRX is marketed to is people half my age but I like them and have been thinking about picking one up for a daily driver on days I don't need a truck. I messed up and drove an STI last year and was very impressed, I would have come home with it but they didn't want to sell it that day. It had just come in and they wanted to keep it on hand for an event the next week. I cooled off and didn't go back for it but I'm getting the bug again. I'll probably opt for one that is not an STI if I get one, don't care much for that oversized rear spoiler.

No, I think you could make a Cayenne work for you.  Or an MB CLA250.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know about the WRX, but the 2015 BRZ doesn't need the short throw shifter.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've had two bug-eye WRX's, and an 06 LGT Spec B (possibly the best car I've ever owned, even ahead of my current G37X).  I have a cousin with a very heavily modified 06 WRX, and my brother has a '13 WRX hatchback.  I have a lot of experience with the brand.

Do get a subtle color, especially if you are young.  WRX's are cop magnets.  Both of mine were WR Blue and I got stopped.  My LGT was a unique silver/grey and it was like a stealth fighter.  I could maintain stupid speeds in front of the po-po and they wouldn't even blink at me.  Gray or silver are good bets for you.

I'd skip the exhaust.  Just attracts the wrong kind of attention and it may bug you on commutes after the novelty wears off.  I'd leave it as stock as possible if it is your DD.

I also agree with the poster who suggested that if you can't stretch the STI, perhaps a brand new WRX isn't the best financial move.  Why not look for a low miles 1 year old car, still under warranty?  Someone else has taken the biggest hit on depreciation, and you can still get a reasonably new, warrantied car.  You might also be able to afford some options or a higher trim level that way.  All of the mods you are talking about can easily be done by a dealer to a used car.

Be smart about big purchases at this point in your life, if you are as young as you sound.  Put the 4-5K you might save toward snow tires and other investments for your future.  Trust me after 6 weeks of ownership of a new car vs a responsibly-owned car with 10K miles, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two, other than looking at the odo.
View Quote

I just saw a guy in the parking ramp tonight with a gorgeous .02 Bugeye.  He says it is 320 at the wheels.  It is almost perfect inside.

On my way home I see a black 2nd Gen STI in a driveway.  It is immaculate and all OEM.

I would love to drive one of those older cars to see how they compare to my 3rd Gen.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd go with the galaxy blue pearl, or the dark grey metallic. The one nice thing about dark grey colors are they hide dirt really well, and if you ever go to sell it, the average person prefers a neutral type color. I tend to always go with the grey colors on my vehicles, but at the end of the day it's up to you. Another thing to realize is if you get a really bright color on a fast car, that the cops will target you more often. I'd def stay away from the bright red of WR blue pearl.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'll most likely order it from factory with short throw shifter, it's only $348 option. I
View Quote

They charge $348 to change the fulcrum point?  

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you haven't plunked down money yet test drive the 2014 forester XT, way more versatile car with same engine, drive train, suspension, wheels, tires, and doesn't scream "rice burner" .

View Quote

but slower
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just ordered the 2015 WRX charcoal gray, It was $26,183, My credit is top of the charts so I will get the best % rate when it comes in, I am 41 years old and my insurance will be $102 a month. Payments will be around $390-$420, depends on how much I give as down payment, I will have 3 months to save up even more money, I would have been able to put down $10,000 or more if I didn't pay off two credit cards($2500), get married and pay off two rings etc. This is a perfect daily driver car for NY state since it snows and rains all the time. I love all types of cars and considered Mustang GT, Challenger etc. Thanks for all the input.

These cars last 30 seconds on a dealer lot even used so I'm not worried about resale value etc. I make really smart choices, my last two cars have been honda civics that have been perfect with zero issues in 206,000 miles and 60,000 miles. I'm still keeping my Honda 2012.
View Quote

When you decide to start modifying it, you may want to post over in "Cars and Bikes".  http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/134_.html  One of the moderators used to have a shop that modified cars like and including your WRX.  He even owned several.  I laughed at him when he told me he was going to keep his brand new WRX stock until the warranty ran out.  (he didn't quite make that mark)
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I respectfully disagree and think you guys are giving the OP a hard time without knowing his financial circumstance (which he is not obliged to tell you).  At 27 I bought a $22,000 Honda Accord EX, which was probably a $30,000 car these days.  I could have spend more money on the car, but it fit a comfortable price point that I wanted and did not offer me things that I did not want or need.  I drove that car [number deleted] (many, many, many) years.

I could have purchased a 3 series BMW (new or used) as well as a variety of other cars, some more expensive some not.  I decided that for my use the WRX's performance and price point intersected nicely with my needs.

Occasionally I lament not getting an STI, but frankly I don't need it and the extra $10K is better spent for me in other ways.

IOW, MYOBW (mind your own beeswax).

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#23]
My 2013 is a rattly car, and then I floor it, around a corner, in a snowstorm, and all things are forgiven.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#24]
OP, how old are you?  I ask, because sometime if this is your first pass on something like this the money you think you are saving comes back to bite you in the ass.  My son just bought an Sti and he started the process by telling me that it was too expensive.  My advice is to by the Sti. You'll have a car that is what it is and will hold its value.

If you buy a WRX and mod it, you are going to have a car that you've messed with and it's probably going to cost you more currently to mod it than to buy the Sti and put it all in the original loan.  The point is, if you mod the thing the parts are going to be payable NOW and the mechanic is going to want to be paid NOW while the finance company will take it over time.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

You aren't finished yet if you get snow.  Start looking at winter tires/wheels.  -----  Maybe not an issue if you didn't go with the Sti.....
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"deep rumble"?

"Subaru"?

View Quote

My son drives a 2015 Sti and the thing sounds like a delivery truck coming in the driveway......
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP you are going to love that car!

Get a set of Rally Armor mudflaps.  They are pretty much standard for enthusiasts.

I see a silver 4th Gen WRX around locally.  It looks great.  I'm sure the gray one will look fantastic.

Congrats!  Let us know when you take delivery by updating this thread.

Corey
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#28]
You need to upgrade to the Evo package....

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

OP, how old are you? I ask, because sometime if this is your first pass on something like this the money you think you are saving comes back to bite you in the ass. My son just bought an Sti and he started the process by telling me that it was too expensive. My advice is to by the Sti. You'll have a car that is what it is and will hold its value.

If you buy a WRX and mod it, you are going to have a car that you've messed with and it's probably going to cost you more currently to mod it than to buy the Sti and put it all in the original loan. The point is, if you mod the thing the parts are going to be payable NOW and the mechanic is going to want to be paid NOW while the finance company will take it over time.

View Quote

You say that as though nobody mods their Stis ...
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You need to upgrade to the Evo package....

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My 2013 is a rattly car, and then I floor it, around a corner, in a snowstorm, and all things are forgiven.
View Quote

I concur with this observation.

When it starts to get cool outside the dash rattles around the outside edges.  I am thinking about trying to see if there are ways to stop that.  But then I realize the road noise, engine noise, etc. etc. quiet is not really the point of this car.

But if anyone has any suggestions for the dash rattle I'm all ears....

These cars are a blast in the winter time.  Just so much fun.

Get a set of steelies and mount Michelin Xi3's on them.  I'd recommend a downsize for more sidewall.  I swap my summer and winter tires usually the night before the first big snow storm where we see accumulation.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If you can't afford $200 per month more on your payment, you have no business buying a new car in the first place.

Take Econ 101 please.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would love to buy the STI but that is $35,000 to start with, the base model WRX is $25,000. $10,000 is a lot of money for me. Payments will be $600 plus instead of $400. I'll most likely order it from factory with short throw shifter, it's only $348 option. I test drove a 2014 EVO and damn it was amazing, price was $39,000 and they wouldn’t move down. I live in NY so it's not an option to buy a mustang or camaro, it rains or snows a lot so the all wheel drive daily driver is better. THe STI gets way less mpg. I'll try a subaru forum and see what they say about different mufflers. Thanks for the input.

If you can't afford $200 per month more on your payment, you have no business buying a new car in the first place.

Take Econ 101 please.  
WTF?  Take "How Not To Be A Douchenozzle 101" please.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You say that as thought nobody mods their Sti ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, how old are you? I ask, because sometime if this is your first pass on something like this the money you think you are saving comes back to bite you in the ass. My son just bought an Sti and he started the process by telling me that it was too expensive. My advice is to by the Sti. You'll have a car that is what it is and will hold its value.

If you buy a WRX and mod it, you are going to have a car that you've messed with and it's probably going to cost you more currently to mod it than to buy the Sti and put it all in the original loan. The point is, if you mod the thing the parts are going to be payable NOW and the mechanic is going to want to be paid NOW while the finance company will take it over time.

Of course I'm not saying that.  It's just that if you want to mod it to be an Sti clone, just buy an Sti....

I'm in my late '50's and my son who is a Doc in residency was driving my 530i and it started to get expensive to maintain.  He wanted an Evo or Sti and I went through the exercise with him and coached him to buy what he really wanted.  At first, I thought both cars were bullshit, but I now have an appreciation for both, especially the Sti.  It's funny, we moved him in June for his residency and as I followed on the trip, the Sti turned heads everywhere we went....  Great car, mods will mod.  It's just not economical to do what the factory can do from the get-go.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP, how old are you?  I ask, because sometime if this is your first pass on something like this the money you think you are saving comes back to bite you in the ass.  My son just bought an Sti and he started the process by telling me that it was too expensive.  My advice is to by the Sti. You'll have a car that is what it is and will hold its value.

If you buy a WRX and mod it, you are going to have a car that you've messed with and it's probably going to cost you more currently to mod it than to buy the Sti and put it all in the original loan.  The point is, if you mod the thing the parts are going to be payable NOW and the mechanic is going to want to be paid NOW while the finance company will take it over time.

View Quote

Let me guess, you replied after reading the original post, right?

How old are YOU?  Please state your yearly salary, job benefits, investment portfolio, and inheritance opportunities before I advise you whether you should buy a BCM or an SR-25.  If you can't afford the SR-25, you probably shouldn't be buying the BCM.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The hardest decision I have to make is the paint color. My last two cars have been silver and I really like that color but not sure about the Subaru, I'm thinking silver, gray, white, dark blue.

I'm going to keep it mostly stock, change shifter and rims but now I'm just going to leave the exhaust alone. A basic WRX 6 speed is zero to 60 in 5-5.4 seconds, car and driver magazine did 4.8 seconds with 5000 rpm revs and clutch drop. This is my very first car with a manual trans so it will feel like a rocket ship to me, the fastest car I've ever owned was a 1988 monte carlo ss that ran 14.95 in quarter mile.

The reason I'm getting stock model over STI is the price and the gas mileage. base wrx gets 22-28 mpg while the STI gets under 20. That super fast EVO I test drove was getting 10 mpg and averages 19 with very slow driving. My daily driver right now is a 2012 honda civic with gets 34 city and 40 highway. I can handle 25 average with WRX . You should use the premium fuel with WRX and STI so that adds up over time.

In NY you can't find a WRX or STI anywhere, I had mustang GT on list but you really can't drive that in a NY winter.
View Quote

Not that I would talk anyone out of buying the grocery getter from hell, I love the WRX, but they just want too much money for them anymore.  I miss the days of cheap Subarus.

BUT

Another option, if you want a car for entertainment purposes...Keep the Civic for DD purposes, and take a look at a Miata.. I picked up a 2006 with 80K on the clock for $9K out the door and it's easily the most amusing car that I've owned that didn't cost $30K or more.  

I just have something against car payments, I guess it's just me.

I see you made your decision.. Enjoy the car, and please don't ricer it out.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

On a plowed road.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You aren't finished yet if you get snow.  Start looking at winter tires/wheels.  -----  Maybe not an issue if you didn't go with the Sti.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winter tires will definitely still be an issue with an STI.  You sound like you don't know what you are talking about.

A set of Xi3's on steel wheels will be about $1,100.  For another $200 you can get cheap alloy wheels.

A set of summer tires for this car will probably run close to $1,000.  And they need to be replaced every two years.

Please don't assume you know more than the OP, because it looks like you don't.

Stop busting this guy's balls over a $30,000 car.  Geez, people post their new $45,000+ trucks on here all the time and I don't see any posts asking about ownership qualifications when the picture is clearly taken in an apartment building parking lot....
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Just stopped in to say I love my WRX. 2015 WRB, mods so far are a Cobb Accessport, and Cobb shift knob. I'll be doing exhaust soon, probably right after the first of the year, kind of waiting to see what else is coming out soon. When I picked mine up I test drove another that had the factory short shifter and decided to wait to see what  the aftermarket companies come up with. The factory one made some difference but I think it could be better.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How old are YOU?  Please state your yearly salary, job benefits, investment portfolio, and inheritance opportunities before I advise you whether you should buy a BCM or an SR-25.  If you can't afford the SR-25, you probably shouldn't be buying the BCM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, that added something(?) to the conversation......
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#40]
The STi is a ripoff and meant for people that actually race the vehicle. The $10k+ additional price gets you a fractional amount of extra HP but with an additional 100lbs of weight.

Don't believe me, believe the results:

2015 WRX
http://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/wrx#

2015 WRX STi
http://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/wrx-sti#

$10k for that tiny bit of extra oomph. Take HALF that money and apply it to the regular WRX and beat the snot out of a stock STi. The STi tries to justify its price by adding tons of electronic aids and the ability to alter the differential. Your average buyer will probably never even bother reading in the manual how to adjust this stuff, nor would they even need to change anything if they did read it.
ah, I see you made the sensible choice rather than just the cool badge on the back.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#41]
13 STI owner here in charcoal grey. Don't get blue as others said they are cop magnets. Same with the exhaust it already flows well. For upgrades get a Cobb port and protune. Consider more after that don't change a thing without getting the Cobb flash and protune.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Of course I'm not saying that.  It's just that if you want to mod it to be an Sti clone, just buy an Sti....

I'm in my late '50's and my son who is a Doc in residency was driving my 530i and it started to get expensive to maintain.  He wanted an Evo or Sti and I went through the exercise with him and coached him to buy what he really wanted.  At first, I thought both cars were bullshit, but I now have an appreciation for both, especially the Sti.  It's funny, we moved him in June for his residency and as I followed on the trip, the Sti turned heads everywhere we went....  Great car, mods will mod.  It's just not economical to do what the factory can do from the get-go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me guess, you really wish that your son had bought a BMW....

You too would fit into a CLA250 quite well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just stopped in to say I love my WRX. 2015 WRB, mods so far are a Cobb Accessport, and Cobb shift knob. I'll be doing exhaust soon, probably right after the first of the year, kind of waiting to see what else is coming out soon. When I picked mine up I test drove another that had the factory short shifter and decided to wait to see what  the aftermarket companies come up with. The factory one made some difference but I think it could be better.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/RRTX/media/WRXonpp_zps15125fd9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/RRTX/WRXonpp_zps15125fd9.jpg</a>

View Quote

Gorgeous in a functional rally kind of way.  Put some gold BBS's on that thing!

Nice ride.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#44]
OP, I had a Borla exhaust on my '04 WRX and I loved the deep rumble it put out.

I really miss that car and the boxer engine? No matter what you choose you will love it, enjoy!
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a new thread for you Corey -  New Posts
what does a brain aneurysm feel like?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/RRTX/media/WRXonpp_zps15125fd9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/RRTX/WRXonpp_zps15125fd9.jpg</a>

View Quote

Did you get a custom tune with the Accessport or use one of the preset maps?

I am looking at doing downpipe and intake and then would need a tune.

Frankly, even the OEM car map could benefit from a tune.  I am not all that impressed with the smoothness or consistency of the powerband, as impressive as it is.

I think if I go Stage 2 this thing will be killer and reliable.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Someone local already blew their 2015 up. I would never want to own one regardless of year. Too many engine failures locally to me to even consider one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was trying to make a point in a round about way that you were being a douchebag.  I appreciate the opportunity to clarify my previous remark.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nice ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice ride.

Thanks! Before I got this car I would have laughed if anyone ever suggested putting gold wheels on my vehicle......but damn they look good with the WRB. They are certainly on my list of future upgrades, a list that is getting way longer than I ever intended when I decided to buy this lol.

Oh and OP, www.nasioc.com is kind of the arfcom of Subaru's, complete with random dickheads and useless responses
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The STi is a ripoff and meant for people that actually race the vehicle. The $10k+ additional price gets you a fractional amount of extra HP but with an additional 100lbs of weight.

Don't believe me, believe the results:

2015 WRX
http://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/wrx#

2015 WRX STi
http://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/wrx-sti#

$10k for that tiny bit of extra oomph. Take HALF that money and apply it to the regular WRX and beat the snot out of a stock STi. The STi tries to justify its price by adding tons of electronic aids and the ability to alter the differential. Your average buyer will probably never even bother reading in the manual how to adjust this stuff, nor would they even need to change anything if they did read it.
ah, I see you made the sensible choice rather than just the cool badge on the back.
View Quote

I totally agree with you.  I could spend $3,000 on my WRX and it could throttle the STI in a straight line.

But I would need to add another $750 for sway bars to reduce the understeer.  And then who knows how it would handle on the track versus an STI.

And I would never have the STI's adjustable AWD system.

Listen, I own a WRX.  I made the decision.  But the STI does have a superior drivetrain.

I sometimes kick myself for not getting the STI, but I would rarely use that extra capability.

I have the same lamentations with my wife's Tahoe.  5% of the time I wish it were 3' longer and a Suburban.  Some of the time she wishes it were a Grand Cherokee.  Most of the time we are happy with the Tahoe's size.

Choices need to be made and lived with.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top