Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/5/2014 3:54:30 PM EDT
I'm planning on ordering a base model 2015 Subaru WRX with 6 speed manual transmission, Should I order the short throw shifter? Have no clue which color to pick, I'm thinking of the dark blue or the Charcoal gray. Once I receive the car I want to upgrade the mufflers to a performance type, any thoughts on this? Not a fart pipe but better flow with some more deep rumble. Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the STi package with it. Its less then open market costs for similar.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
"deep rumble"?

"Subaru"?

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't there a WRX forum? Badass little cat, though. Have fun with it.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
you sound like you are 16. do more reseach
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

My son bought an Sti back in June.  Got a good deal, loves it, etc.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Muffle it and enjoy.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"deep rumble"?

"Subaru"?

View Quote

A turbo boxer engine at WOT is one of the sexiest sounds in the automotive world.

OP I'm not familiar with the exact details of mods on the new models but I'd go to NASIOC and have a look around.

Probably going to want a catted downpipe and a catback with a resonator in it. You'll also want a new map. I've had excellent results with COBB products.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I know in my 14 wrx without a short shifter it felt like driving a truck. Very long

I have a short shifter in my 14 wrx and wouldn't have it any other way

Im Cobb stage 2+ and wouldn't have it any other way. Love the sound. Its way more peppy than stock. Stage 2 is where the difference came in. Didn't notice much of one at stage 1. I have Cobb all around. TBE and their intake with their tunes. No problems. Put basically 30k on it, will be a year of having it on thanksgiving

I have a dark gray one. I hope my paint was a fluke. It honestly sucks. Seems very thin and has chipped in a couple places from rocks
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I would love to buy the STI but that is $35,000 to start with, the base model WRX is $25,000. $10,000 is a lot of money for me. Payments will be $600 plus instead of $400. I'll most likely order it from factory with short throw shifter, it's only $348 option. I test drove a 2014 EVO and damn it was amazing, price was $39,000 and they wouldn’t move down. I live in NY so it's not an option to buy a mustang or camaro, it rains or snows a lot so the all wheel drive daily driver is better. THe STI gets way less mpg. I'll try a subaru forum and see what they say about different mufflers. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would love to buy the STI but that is $35,000 to start with, the base model WRX is $25,000. $10,000 is a lot of money for me. Payments will be $600 plus instead of $400. I'll most likely order it from factory with short throw shifter, it's only $348 option. I test drove a 2014 EVO and damn it was amazing, price was $39,000 and they wouldn’t move down. I live in NY so it's not an option to buy a mustang or camaro, it rains or snows a lot so the all wheel drive daily driver is better. THe STI gets way less mpg. I'll try a subaru forum and see what they say about different mufflers. Thanks for the input.
View Quote

Just get the WRX and get the parts and tune for stage 2. Itll be essentially the same power as the STI. I will tell you the WRXs are not setup to handle the same amount of abuse the STIs are. Drivetrain is weaker on the WRX. Not a big deal as long as you are not an idiot with the car. I haven't babied mine and I have had no problems. The dealer told me some kids have stripped first gear out at low miles from being a fucktard with them though. This is on the 14's not sure if the 15's are built stronger.

The new STI doesn't have the same engine as the new WRXs. The STIs are still using the 14' engines.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just get the WRX and get the parts and tune for stage 2. Itll be essentially the same power as the STI. I will tell you the WRXs are not setup to handle the same amount of abuse the STIs are. Drivetrain is weaker on the WRX. Not a big deal as long as you are not an idiot with the car. I haven't babied mine and I have had no problems. The dealer told me some kids have stripped first gear out at low miles from being a fucktard with them though. This is on the 14's not sure if the 15's are built stronger.

The new STI doesn't have the same engine as the new WRXs. The STIs are still using the 14' engines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

'15 STI's still use the 2.5L.  The '14 WRX's use the 2.0L DIT.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm planning on ordering a base model 2015 Subaru WRX with 6 speed manual transmission, Should I order the short throw shifter? Have no clue which color to pick, I'm thinking of the dark blue or the Charcoal gray. Once I receive the car I want to upgrade the mufflers to a performance type, any thoughts on this? Not a fart pipe but better flow with some more deep rumble. Thanks for any input.
View Quote

My '13 came with the short throw shifter and SPT exhaust.  I would recommend those two OEM upgrades.

On the '15 I think they are offering the STI cat-back exhaust.  Get that one and the short throw.

Skip the factory floor mats.  Get Weather Tech, they are awesome in the winter.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A turbo boxer engine at WOT is one of the sexiest sounds in the automotive world.

OP I'm not familiar with the exact details of mods on the new models but I'd go to NASIOC and have a look around.

Probably going to want a catted downpipe and a catback with a resonator in it. You'll also want a new map. I've had excellent results with COBB products.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"deep rumble"?

"Subaru"?

This is why I own one. I love them. Couldn't afford one when I was younger like I wanted. But have one in my mid 20s now and don't regret it at all
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you drive one yet? I did and the experience turned me away. Turbo lag and a seemingly narrow power band. Just didn't like the way it drove.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did you drive one yet? I did and the experience turned me away. Turbo lag and a seemingly narrow power band. Just didn't like the way it drove.
View Quote

Which year?

Check out what a little tuning can do to the powerband.

Car & Driver 5 things to get more power from your WRX.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

If this is true then the new engines must be a bust. My 14' 2.5l has nearly no turbo lag, and a very wide power band compared to my VW with a 2.0T TSI engine.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know in my 14 wrx without a short shifter it felt like driving a truck. Very long

I have a short shifter in my 14 wrx and wouldn't have it any other way

Im Cobb stage 2+ and wouldn't have it any other way. Love the sound. Its way more peppy than stock. Stage 2 is where the difference came in. Didn't notice much of one at stage 1. I have Cobb all around. TBE and their intake with their tunes. No problems. Put basically 30k on it, will be a year of having it on thanksgiving

I have a dark gray one. I hope my paint was a fluke. It honestly sucks. Seems very thin and has chipped in a couple places from rocks
View Quote

+1 for Cobb and short throw shifter.

As for color - classic Subaru blue with gold wheels.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#19]
put some No2 on it right away.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you can't afford $200 per month more on your payment, you have no business buying a new car in the first place.

Take Econ 101 please.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't afford $200 per month more on your payment, you have no business buying a new car in the first place.

Take Econ 101 please.  

Maybe that is why he is opting for the less expensive WRX than the STI model.

Im in the same boat. I couldn't afford the essentially 40k they want for a STI. 28K for a WRX is much more reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Take Econ 101 please.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take Econ 101 please.  

Not wanting is not being able to afford.

Have to draw the line somewhere.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Take Econ 101 please.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Take Econ 101 please.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take Econ 101 please.  

So you're saying if he can't afford a $35 car he has no business buying a $25k car?

ETA: I just bought a truck and figured I could spend up to $25, but ended up getting one that was $17k. I guess I not so good at money.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#25]
No advice on the shifter, but for sound I would go with the nameless muffler deletes if they make them for the 2015's yet.  

I have some on my stock LGT, and the sound is great.  Not too much at all, just enough to give it a little rumble.  Keep the stock mufflers so you can put them back on when you have to do safety and IM.

http://shop.namelessperformance.com/2015-wrx-sti-axleback-exhaust/

The muffler deletes sound great, and they are only 300 bucks.  They look good too.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

A quick tune will fix that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If this is true then the new engines must be a bust. My 14' 2.5l has nearly no turbo lag, and a very wide power band compared to my VW with a 2.0T TSI engine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is very true in my experience. After getting past the lag it seemed to trail off shortly thereafter. I was very disappointed as I went in ready to buy that day. The one I drove was a limited with nav, the optional exhaust and short shifter. I also found that exhaust to drone way too much while cruising. I had the car for about 40 minutes, so I had plenty of time to agonize over theses things. Still kind of bummed because I went in so pumped to drive it home.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is very true in my experience. After getting past the lag it seemed to trail off shortly thereafter. I was very disappointed as I went in ready to buy that day. The one I drove was a limited with nav, the optional exhaust and short shifter. I also found that exhaust to drone way too much while cruising. I had the car for about 40 minutes, so I had plenty of time to agonize over theses things. Still kind of bummed because I went in so pumped to drive it home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try for a 14' then. Mine has been nothing but great. Their not the fastest car in the world. But they offer what I was looking for. A fun AWD car that wouldn't break the bank. My 14' has every bit of power I wanted after the stage 2 parts and tune. Stock it was quicker than my stage 2 VW CC which I expected. But the car didn't show its true colors until it was tuned and had a TBE on it. The tune and the downpipe, and exhaust changes the car to a different animal. Im sure I could squeeze more power out of it with a pro tune, but I am happy where it sits and don't want to push my luck too far. I wouldn't want the car stock to be completely honest. Just not the same WRX I grew up knowing. They really have neutered them IMHO by downtuning from the factory

Its really a night a day difference with a tune and a few bolt ons.

The lady who I bought it from at the dealership(super sexy btw) told me she wanted a ride after I went stage 2. Took her on one after I did and she couldn't believe the difference. I guess it wasn't enough of a difference to get road dome out of her though
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Of course I can afford the extra money of the STI but I really don't care about the adjustable suspension. The 2015 STI has the same STI engine as the previous years, the WRX has an upgraded 2.0 engine. Zero to 60 for base model will still be the fastest car I've ever owned so I'm not worried. My main goal is to have a 6 speed transmission, almost 30 mpg on long drives and a reliable car that I can drive all winter long(all wheel drive). I'm not going to throw money away for no reason, I plan on ordering the short throw shifter and the STI upgraded mufflers for my base model WRX.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

"deep rumble"?

"Subaru"?

View Quote
You'd be surprised at the rumble I've heard from those with a good exhaust.  Especially the rally cars.

My SRT-4 rumbles a bit too... factory exhaust, no mufflers.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#31]
My advice is to leave it mostly stock.

The exhaust wont hurt, but once you start adding boost and really modifying things ... you are going to start to have problems.

Buy the car, put the exhaust you like on and just enjoy it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My advice is to leave it mostly stock.

The exhaust wont hurt, but once you start adding boost and really modifying things ... you are going to start to have problems.

Buy the car, put the exhaust you like on and just enjoy it.
View Quote

If he gets a downpipe you will need tuning or it will hurt the car.

Subarus are very sensitive if you start throwing parts at it without the proper tuning to go with it.

A simple catback wouldn't change anything, but a turbo back would ruin it without a tune to keep boost levels in check.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely yes. But I went in not intending to mod it at all. After spending the $$ on the car plus money for winter rims and tires. I at least expected it to drive well stock.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Of course I can afford the extra money of the STI but I really don't care about the adjustable suspension. The 2015 STI has the same STI engine as the previous years, the WRX has an upgraded 2.0 engine. Zero to 60 for base model will still be the fastest car I've ever owned so I'm not worried. My main goal is to have a 6 speed transmission, almost 30 mpg on long drives and a reliable car that I can drive all winter long(all wheel drive). I'm not going to throw money away for no reason, I plan on ordering the short throw shifter and the STI upgraded mufflers for my base model WRX.
View Quote

How much does the dealer charge for the STI upgraded mufflers?  IMO a complete waste of money.  I bought a new 2011 STi back in the day, came with the SPT exhaust....was way too quiet.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#35]
First check this forum for Subaru owners:  www.nasioc.com.

I have the short throw shifter, which I like and is worth the cost.  Although this is my first manual drive car so not sure how good the regular shifter is.  I like my STI, it looks very basic but drives good.  I think a WRX is a good choice for you.  Also look into getting a used one to save money, though you can't tell how the previous owner drove it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Deffinately short shift, the one the gave me as a rental a few months ago had a longer shift than my wifes Jeep it seemed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a fluke its shitty paint.  I had the front clip, and leading edge of the roof of my 2013 repainted under warranty.

Mine was so bad that it looked like the early 90s Chevys that had the paint the peeled off in dinner plate size pieces.  The clear coat on mine had no adhesion at all.

Dealer refused to do anything I called Subaru USA,  the dealer called me the next morning to set up an appointment, and apologized.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 13' Rio hatch has a 6 speed....
Lmao
Its OK
Sti is my dream car but a 90 mile commute each day has me in a 38++ MPG super egg...LOL

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not a fluke its shitty paint.  I had the front clip, and leading edge of the roof of my 2013 repainted under warranty.

Mine was so bad that it looked like the early 90s Chevys that had the paint the peeled off in dinner plate size pieces.  The clear coat on mine had no adhesion at all.

Dealer refused to do anything I called Subaru USA,  the dealer called me the next morning to set up an appointment, and apologized.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's too bad. I got a chip the first few hours of driving from a rock. Ive got a few here and there now. Along with a few scratches from god knows what. Maybe the wind blowing too hard

Im okay with it now. But the first few hurt

Honestly pretty excited to get out of work to go drive my WRX now
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which year?

Check out what a little tuning can do to the powerband.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/51/dynochartsmall-photo-277089-s-gallery-image-large-photo-458765-s-original.jpg

Car & Driver 5 things to get more power from your WRX.

The one I drove was a 2015. I know a tune can do wonders but I had intended to stay stock.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I know the demographics that the WRX is marketed to is people half my age but I like them and have been thinking about picking one up for a daily driver on days I don't need a truck. I messed up and drove an STI last year and was very impressed, I would have come home with it but they didn't want to sell it that day. It had just come in and they wanted to keep it on hand for an event the next week. I cooled off and didn't go back for it but I'm getting the bug again. I'll probably opt for one that is not an STI if I get one, don't care much for that oversized rear spoiler.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
8 years ago, I went to the dealership and asked to test drive an STI.  They told me I could test drive it all I wanted to, after I bought it.

So I went and bought a VW GTI instead.
View Quote

In my area it is hard to find WRX's and STI's.  Most are spoken for before they hit the dealership parking lot.  If they make it into the showroom, they are usually sold in a matter of days.  I went halfway across the state to buy mine and got the same line from the dealer.  A polite "We can't let anyone test drive this car."  Luckily they had an '11 5 door on the preowned lot that they let me take out.

Most people who are interested in buying these cars know exactly what they are looking for and don't want a car with 180 miles on it that countless people have beat on during test drives where they don't actually intend on buying the car.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, the new WRX has equal length headers with a twin scroll turbo.  IMHO, the turbo lag is less.  ETA:  My 2012 WRX didn't seem to make power until 3000 RPM, but it made it there until redline.  My 2013 GTI, makes more power down low but it drops off around 5,000 RPM.

Unfortunately, the boxer rumble is gone due to the equal length headers required for the twin scroll turbo.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#46]
The hardest decision I have to make is the paint color. My last two cars have been silver and I really like that color but not sure about the Subaru, I'm thinking silver, gray, white, dark blue.

I'm going to keep it mostly stock, change shifter and rims but now I'm just going to leave the exhaust alone. A basic WRX 6 speed is zero to 60 in 5-5.4 seconds, car and driver magazine did 4.8 seconds with 5000 rpm revs and clutch drop. This is my very first car with a manual trans so it will feel like a rocket ship to me, the fastest car I've ever owned was a 1988 monte carlo ss that ran 14.95 in quarter mile.

The reason I'm getting stock model over STI is the price and the gas mileage. base wrx gets 22-28 mpg while the STI gets under 20. That super fast EVO I test drove was getting 10 mpg and averages 19 with very slow driving. My daily driver right now is a 2012 honda civic with gets 34 city and 40 highway. I can handle 25 average with WRX . You should use the premium fuel with WRX and STI so that adds up over time.

In NY you can't find a WRX or STI anywhere, I had mustang GT on list but you really can't drive that in a NY winter.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I know the demographics that the WRX is marketed to is people half my age but I like them and have been thinking about picking one up for a daily driver on days I don't need a truck. I messed up and drove an STI last year and was very impressed, I would have come home with it but they didn't want to sell it that day. It had just come in and they wanted to keep it on hand for an event the next week. I cooled off and didn't go back for it but I'm getting the bug again. I'll probably opt for one that is not an STI if I get one, don't care much for that oversized rear spoiler.
View Quote

I am not a fan of the spoiler and think that WRB comes from the factory with a squad car attached.  But I saw a '15 STI Launch Edition on the road last week and it was sexy.  I could easily make due with that car.

Most owners of late model WRX's that I've run into have been adults in their 30's, 40's and even 50's.  I have seen very few young (20-ish) kids in these cars.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Is this the wrong thread for lesbian jokes?

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
"deep rumble"?

"Subaru"?

View Quote

This, Subarus sound like absolute dog shit. Can't fix that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm heading down to dealer in 1 hour to order since they tried but couldn't find one anywhere.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top