Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/31/2014 2:54:16 PM EDT
Love the idea of a 500hp, 5-second truck under full warranty. Wondering if anyone here owns/has owned one and what the ups and downs are. MPG when behaving yourself? I'll probably head over to a Toyota truck forum later on, but checking you folks first.    
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds thirsty for 93 octane.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Interested to know. I love my Tundra. Can't help but wonder what that would be like.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Tundratalk or Tundrasolutions are good sites for Tundra stuff.

I've never read a negative about them.

Better mileage if you keep your foot out if it.

Raped ape when you get in it.

All with a warranty for about 6k installed.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Built many working at toyota, it was not bad but it still did not compare to my duramax with half the money put into it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Built many working at toyota, it was not bad but it still did not compare to my duramax with half the money put into it.
View Quote

Did the price diff of the duramax offset that at all??
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Tagged for more answers. It has always interested me but now my Tundra has 105K on it and I don't have a second vehicle in case something goes wrong. Is a SC on a 100K+ vehicle wise?

Quoted:

View Quote

Do you get a brand new drivetrain warranty no matter your milage or is it just a warranty for the supercharger?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interested to know. I love my Tundra. Can't help but wonder what that would be like.
View Quote

It'd be like.....this.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tagged for more answers. It has always interested me but now my Tundra has 105K on it and I don't have a second vehicle in case something goes wrong. Is a SC on a 100K+ vehicle wise?

Do you get a brand new drivetrain warranty no matter your milage or is it just a warranty for the supercharger?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My understanding is that since it's a TRD part, it doesn't void any remaining factory warranty you have.

ETA: no way I'd put one on a 100K+ truck. Since you don't have your warranty anymore, you'd be SOL if you blew.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My understanding is that since it's a TRD part, it doesn't void any remaining factory warranty you have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#10]
5 second truck?   Don't you mean mid-13s?

Unless you are talking about something other than 1/4 mile times.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#11]
There's a couple in town, and I know the owner of one.  The TRD SC certainly has unmistakable blower whine.  One owner reports an actual 1 mpg improvement in highway mileage numbers.

They're monstrous.  The 13-second flat 1/4 mile time doesn't seem hugely spectacular (though it's undeniably fast as hell) until you consider that it's like riding in a whole upholstered living room making those ET numbers.  Sort of like feels like being in a Boeing 737 at take off.  All big honcho trucks that have been supercharged/turbo'ed to have 500-700 ft/lb. torque feels like that.  Toyota is by no means the only manufacturer with a truck that cuts high-12s with not too much extra money in bolt-on parts.  Any of the big turbo diesel trucks will boil the tires with little effort.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Love the idea of a 500hp, 5-second truck under full warranty. Wondering if anyone here owns/has owned one and what the ups and downs are. MPG when behaving yourself? I'll probably head over to a Toyota truck forum later on, but checking you folks first.    
View Quote

Ok , here we go... I own a performance shop that works toyotas , like you the idea seemed great.. I mean more power and TQ.. on a great package.. how could that be bad? well it is i'm sorry to say.

the physical supercharger is a great unit.. the kit installs with minimal fuss.. all good so far, the problem lies within the electronics package, the toyota ECM (computer that controls the engine functions) is notoriously difficult to modify, and is the key to making it happen.. when you introduce more air into the engine VIA the blower,you will need more fuel to go with it or bad things will happen.
The toyota ECM doesn't allow the fuel table to be modified at all, so all types of devices have been tried to "fool" the computer into adding more fuel.. which never works out the way it should. the only real way to make the engine happy is by using a stand alone ECM from a aftermarket supplier.. like  Motec.. or similar.. think big $$$'s.
its weak but we have tried this on numerous vehicles including the 4runner, tundra, tacoma.. and wound up removing the blowers to make the vehicle drivable, and not melt the engines down.. except that one guy who was going to make it work no matter what... 3 engines and several thousand dollars later.. the project was scrapped ( we also blew up a few transmissions too, but that's another story)

sorry to piss on your party man.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty sure he's referring to 0-60 times.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Correct

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct

IF the dealer installs it.   But you want the dealer to install it, because you have to unbolt and lift away the bed to install the new fuel pump in the gas tank.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ETA: no way I'd put one on a 100K+ truck. Since you don't have your warranty anymore, you'd be SOL if you blew.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm yea I figured, seems I'll be leaving it in it's naturally aspirated state.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

People have hit 10-11 in tundras before with SC/Shift kits etc.

So maybe a 5 sec 1/8th mile

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

IF the dealer installs it.   But you want the dealer to install it, because you have to unbolt and lift away the bed to install the new fuel pump in the gas tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct

Correct again Sparks Toyota has done a few of them if my memory serves me.

I know they sell a ton of great priced Tundra equipment.

I got my  color matched grill, tow mirrors etc through them.

With that said if anyone needs a chrome grill surround or standard SR5 mirrors (2011 Tundra heated) and will actually use them not sell them I would give them away if you cover shipping.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ok , here we go... I own a performance shop that works toyotas , like you the idea seemed great.. I mean more power and TQ.. on a great package.. how could that be bad? well it is i'm sorry to say.

the physical supercharger is a great unit.. the kit installs with minimal fuss.. all good so far, the problem lies within the electronics package, the toyota ECM (computer that controls the engine functions) is notoriously difficult to modify, and is the key to making it happen.. when you introduce more air into the engine VIA the blower,you will need more fuel to go with it or bad things will happen.
The toyota ECM doesn't allow the fuel table to be modified at all, so all types of devices have been tried to "fool" the computer into adding more fuel.. which never works out the way it should. the only real way to make the engine happy is by using a stand alone ECM from a aftermarket supplier.. like  Motec.. or similar.. think big $$$'s.
its weak but we have tried this on numerous vehicles including the 4runner, tundra, tacoma.. and wound up removing the blowers to make the vehicle drivable, and not melt the engines down.. except that one guy who was going to make it work no matter what... 3 engines and several thousand dollars later.. the project was scrapped ( we also blew up a few transmissions too, but that's another story)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But how are all these dudes on Youtube getting theirs to work? Many claim that the TRD charger is basically the only thing installed.

Thanks for murdering a dream. You......you dream murderer.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't overthink it. I meant 0-60mph time, but forgot to say it.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I've also been thinking of getting one. I'm mainly worried about long term reliability. I've read that if you aren't too hard on them they'll last forever. I may get a 2wd crewmax and slam it with the trd supercharger. Not sure yet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#21]
fyi the supercharger kit won't work on FFV Tundras.....
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have the dealer install it, they will flash the ecu for the supercharger.  The problem is some people want even more power and they start messing with the fuel curves, injector pulse widths, spark etc and they do blow the engines.  I havent seen a single destroyed engine on one that was dealer installed with the Toyota supplied flash.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy knows what he is talking about.  I talked to a local Toyota mechanic that was replacing a supercharged Tundra engine under warranty for exactly this reason.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Correct...not for flex fuel vehicles.  

Reliable as all get out...286k on my first Taco, 120K so far on #2.

Completely disagree with the guy who said they don't work because of the ECU.  Completely false.  The TRD supercharger and reflash work perfectly, as advertised.  Other superchargers, like Underdog Racing don't work because Toyota will not provide the codes and harness for other superchargers to work.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#25]
My buddy has an 07 with the super charger it's really fast but sucks down fuel and has cost him a few tickets and his insurance is about 3 times what it should be.

That being said I am currently at the dealership asking about having mine installed in the next few months I have a vacation and school to got to first.  But for an 06 Tacoma.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Completely disagree with the guy who said they don't work because of the ECU.  Completely false.  The TRD supercharger and reflash work perfectly, as advertised.  Other superchargers, like Underdog Racing don't work because Toyota will not provide the codes and harness for other superchargers to work.
View Quote

That's the thing that has always bugged me about aftermarket performance.

Is there really such a dearth in EE participation that this is even an issue?

A raspberry pie is orders of magnitude more powerful than anything out there in regards to tuning an ECM... I've got half a mind to jump into it as most aftermarket ECUs are garbage.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#27]
They are great trucks, don't get me wrong but when I worked for Toyota they tried to get me to trade my 2002 duramax straight up for a rock warrior tundra and I still would not.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

How good are the brakes?  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How good are the brakes?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How good are the brakes?  

This.

My buddy has one on his 2013 tundra and with smaller pulley.
Thing moves out, but it can't stop worth shit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

What year are/were your Tacomas?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2001, and 2010.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the kit/installation included a dealer reflash of the ECM to make it run?

I've always wondered why turbo/super-charged vehicles wouldn't automatically be designed for flex fuel, given the octane advantage of E85.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's the thing that has always bugged me about aftermarket performance.

Is there really such a dearth in EE participation that this is even an issue?

A raspberry pie is orders of magnitude more powerful than anything out there in regards to tuning an ECM... I've got half a mind to jump into it as most aftermarket ECUs are garbage.

View Quote

the industrial packaging of the processor will cost you.
Getting the values for all the different conditions the vehicle will encounter and getting all the values into your ECM will be the hardest part. getting them wrong will possibly open you up to litigation.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I thought the kit/installation included a dealer reflash of the ECM to make it run?

I've always wondered why turbo/super-charged vehicles wouldn't automatically be designed for flex fuel, given the octane advantage of E85.

Kharn

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

The dealership does do the flash, at least that's how my friend did his.
I agree about the E85 thing.

For the Fords, the ecoboost engines are not "flex fuel" but the all the other engines are.

Does seem odd to me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a supercharged tacoma, and it was a HOOT. I sold it because I was hot for a land rover (boy, was that dumb)

toyota warrented the supercharger and never gave me ANY grief about warranty work. it was a 3.0 v6 and beat v8 mustangs all day long.

I would for SURE buy the tundra !
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Blown Tundra vs. Blown F150 in the 1/4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXis44QCsa8#t=17
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#37]
There is a TRD supercharger ECU reflash available at the dealer. I've never seen one with the flash have a problem. I've done quite a few flashes/installs over the years.

<-- 10 year Toyota tech
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 for turbo diesel.   Egr delete, better air filter and intake, exhaust, and a tuner.  Its go time son.  Fuel economy is 17 to 19 depending on highway speed.  Less if you turn every stop light into a drag race.  

06 2500hd duramax here.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't know but I did spank one in my swapped Civic about 10 years ago heading towards the 101 on Frank Lloyd Wright BV.  HEHE

The thing was fast for a truck and only lost by a car length.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:23:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd do something like this with the supercharger.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:29:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't know but I did spank one in my swapped Civic about 10 years ago heading towards the 101 on Frank Lloyd Wright BV.  HEHE

The thing was fast for a truck and only lost by a car length.  
View Quote

10 years ago they ran smaller engines and were a different truck. 3.4L ,4.0L and a 4.6L engines

They now offer 4.0L 4.6L 4.7L 5.7L
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:01:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Why bother with the Jap Trap? Just drop a ROUSH Supercharger on your F150 for the win!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:04:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why bother with the Jap Trap? Just drop a ROUSH Supercharger on your F150 for the win!
View Quote

Does Ford warranty their trucks with Roush superchargers?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:34:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, if they do the install!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:37:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that!

Still owned enough Fords to know better though

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I did not know that!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that!

My ford dealer has a certified Roush installer & technician.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:29:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

AND you wind up with a usable truck going the fullsize route!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that!

Looked at those this summer, cost as much as my house did. Nice yes, too expensive for my blood, you betcha.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh yes because Tundras come without a bed or tow hitch.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top