Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/31/2014 2:06:04 PM EDT
I picked up a well-worn Gen 3 Glock 21 for super cheap. So far I've replaced the dead factory night sights with Meprolight Tru Dots, replaced a broken ejector/trigger housing, and mounted a Streamlight TLR-1. I'm considering an extended slide release and magazine extensions for nightstand duty.

This is my first Glock. What do I need to know? Flame suit on.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I picked up a well-worn Gen 3 Glock 21 for super cheap. So far I've replaced the dead factory night sights with Meprolight Tru Dots, replaced a broken ejector/trigger housing, and mounted a Streamlight TLR-1. I'm considering an extended slide release and magazine extensions for nightstand duty.

View Quote
Please know that they don't hold up well when baked at 250 degrees.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to owning the best "it will always shoot" handgun out there.

With the 21, you can get a conversion barrel to shoot 10mm as well. Barrel and mags are all it takes.

I love being able to shoot 45 and 10mm out of my 21.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

What?
i would really like to see pics of that break.

Brownells part number for extended slide lock is 100-002-698

Latest trigger bar is 100-002-732

latest ejector housing is 100-002-751

You want the gun metal grey trigger spring 100-002-691 , not the copper colored one.

make sure your RSA is marked with a "1" on the end or order a new one 100-002-739.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't boil it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Can anyone tell me what year this G21 was made? Serial number is CZX***
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What?

You want the gun metal grey trigger spring 100-002-691 , not the copper colored one.

make sure your RSA is marked with a "1" on the end or order a new one 100-002-739.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

I would post a pic but I already threw out the old trigger housing. The ejector was broken right were the S-shaped bend is. I have my doubts that the ejector broke in use, I suspect the previous owner broke it somehow while it was disassembled. No way to know. But after having to take it apart to replace the trigger housing I've come to appreciate the simplicity if the Glock design.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Glock serial number project indicates that would be an early 1999 Gen2 Glock 21. Call Glock for a more accurate answer.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would post a pic but. I already threw out the old trigger housing. The ejector was broken right were the S-shaped bend is. I have my doubts that the ejector broke in use, I suspect the previous owner broke it somehow while it was disassembled. No way to know. But after having to take it apart to replace the trigger housing I've come to appreciate the simplicity if the Glock design.
View Quote

Are you sure it wasnt one of the old stubby ejectors? They can look "broken" to those used to seeing the later versions.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Glock serial number project indicates that would be an early 1999 Gen2 Glock 21. Call Glock for a more accurate answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's accurate enough, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Are you sure it wasnt one of the old stubby ejectors? They can look "broken" to those used to seeing the later versions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would post a pic but. I already threw out the old trigger housing. The ejector was broken right were the S-shaped bend is. I have my doubts that the ejector broke in use, I suspect the previous owner broke it somehow while it was disassembled. No way to know. But after having to take it apart to replace the trigger housing I've come to appreciate the simplicity if the Glock design.

Negative. There was a clear break in the metal where it looked jagged and grainy, the old ejector had the same number stamped on it as the replacement, 8196-2.

ETA: also, the recoil spring assembly only has the number 5600 on it, but because this is a used gun I was planning on replacing it anyways.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Good.

I own four Glocks.

The dipshits will bust on you because their pistols are "cooler" than yours. Pay them no mind. They haven't taken a single training class, have never run their pistol hard, and they know nothing about what is important for self defense.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice. My dad has a G21. The grip is a bit fat for my liking, but it's surprisingly accurate.

I'll likely pick up a Gen 4 G41 someday.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd replace the recoil spring just in case. Hell, all springs if you can.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#14]
careful, glocks multiply
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd be a Glock owner except I can't get a proper G19 so fuck it. Not worth owning otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just dont replace any functional steel parts with new MIM parts unless you have to!

if you have a real steel locking block, firing pin, extractor and firing pin safety hold onto them!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome to the club
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
careful, glocks multiply
View All Quotes
Quoted:
careful, glocks multiply

Quoted:
I'd be a Glock owner except I can't get a proper G19 so fuck it. Not worth owning otherwise.

Funny because I always thought the only Glock I'd ever own would be a 19 but I feel my 9mm needs are completely satisfied with my P226 and P228 so I don't have a lot of incentive to pick up a G19.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just dont replace any functional steel parts with new MIM parts unless you have to!

if you have a real steel locking block, firing pin, extractor and firing pin safety hold onto them!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do I know what parts I have? I don't plan on replacing anything anyways unless something breaks (besides replacing the OEM slide release with an extended slide release).
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How do I know what parts I have? I don't plan on replacing anything anyways unless something breaks (besides replacing the OEM slide release with an extended slide release).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A MIM locking block will usually have an injection mold mark on the top surface. An old tool steel firing pin will usually have some machining marks.

An original non LCI extractor is usually tool steel. An original pre 2009 LCI extractor is probably not MIM. any new production extractor, LCI or not, is suspect.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A MIM locking block will usually have an injection mold mark on the top surface. An old tool steel firing pin will usually have some machining marks.

An original non LCI extractor is usually tool steel. An original pre 2009 LCI extractor is probably not MIM. any new production extractor, LCI or not, is suspect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because all the MIM in newer glocks is falling apart.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

DONT do the big mag release, IMO.  On more than one occasion, I've seen people pick up a Glock with the big button and find themselves with a single shot gun.  The button gets pressed as you grab it off a table, etc, and the mag drops out.  Kinda funny in an IDPA stage; not so funny if you actually need the damn thing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The locking blocks and firing pin safeties seem to be working out fine. The firing pins and extractors are not doing so well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

DONT do the big mag release, IMO.  On more than one occasion, I've seen people pick up a Glock with the big button and find themselves with a single shot gun.  The button gets pressed as you grab it off a table, etc, and the mag drops out.  Kinda funny in an IDPA stage; not so funny if you actually need the damn thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing would happen to me so I decided not to go that route. The OEM mag release works just fine for me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Funny because I always thought the only Glock I'd ever own would be a 19 but I feel my 9mm needs are completely satisfied with my P226 and P228 so I don't have a lot of incentive to pick up a G19.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

careful, glocks multiply

Quoted:

I'm one of those people that hates the 19 also.. damn thing pinches my finger, and the Sig P228 is 100x better pistol for my needs.

I shot a Gen 4 17 though recently... Yeah, that's another 1911 down the drain (I must sell a pistol to buy one at this point... things are getting out of hand. )

That said.. no one can have my .45 Glocks... I've had a 30 since 2000, and a 21SF since 2008, and they are my two favorite .45s even with at least seven 1911s in the safe at one time.. I just like the way they feel, and they are as accurate as anything.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#26]
The reason I went with a Glock years ago is because you don't need to do anything to them. They are excellent right out of the box.

I was beyond sick of buying a gun and then saying: first of all I am going to replace this, then that. Then I am buying aftermarket bolt on that and this...    

You obviously don't think like I do, and I can't help you.

I put night sights on one of mine that didn't already have them.
I also have a .22LR conversion (Advantage Arms). It works well. No problems with it at all. Seems to shoot whatever ammo I happen to have on hand.
The Gen III I have for the nightstand has a light on it, which is kinda important.

After that I don't mess with them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#27]
FWIW- I am not too fond of after-market Glock "upgrades". I have been there and done that and yet today, ALL of my Glocks are back to being factory equipped.

But whatever works for you

ETA- except for the sights.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Look into an Advantage Arms .22lr converison kit. I have seen them brand new for as low as ~$225 for the G21.

I like to leave all my Glock mostly stock but thats just my preference.

I do send them all of my Glock slides to Glock where they will install factory Glock night sights for $57 including shipping.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Unsupported chamber. Be careful and inspect that area thoroughly

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Congrats on getting a new boat anchor.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Pity
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Glock 21sf.  My advice is to keep it factory except for the sights (which you already replaced.)
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen several kabooms with .40 cal Glocks but never with a .9mm.  I wouldn't be worried.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#34]
My condolences.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
FWIW- I am not too fond of after-market Glock "upgrades". I have been there and done that and yet today, ALL of my Glocks are back to being factory equipped.

But whatever works for you
View Quote

The only thing I'm replacing on the gun is the slide release. Glock even makes an OEM extended slide release. Is that too much of an upgrade for someone who's used to the nice wide slide releases on 1911s?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've seen several kabooms with .40 cal Glocks but never with a .9mm.  I wouldn't be worried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The .45 ACP is a low pressure round. And I don't reload nor do I shoot anybody else's reloads. I'm not worried about it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
careful, glocks multiply
View Quote

Get a 19 and you'll be completely infected.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The .45 ACP is a low pressure round. And I don't reload nor do I shoot anybody else's reloads. I'm not worried about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woops missed that it was a G21.  Wouldn't give it a second thought.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask me how I know your completely ignorant on this subject
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
careful, glocks multiply

No shit. Now I want a 27 with a conversion barrel and a 20.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Do not put in the dishwasher OP.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#42]
I would put a new recoil spring assembly in it, too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#44]
You replaced the sights, leave the rest alone. Pick up a few spare mags, save the money for ammo.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Prayers sent
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

You weren't featured in the PBS special: Carrier, were you?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm, no. The only piece of floating Naval equipment I've ever been on was the USS Dallas.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#48]
I am sorry.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I am sorry.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd replace all the Glock parts with Sig Sauer parts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top