Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Did it also replace the Johnny Cash?  Because I see the blueberries in places I where I wouldn't have expected to see dungarees.

I'm fine with it as a working uniform (ie people doing work), but it looks out of place in an office/classroom.  I also hate scrubs on people that work desks, and flightsuits on people that aren't actively working on/in an aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
What the heck is wrong w/ dungarees? Good enough for McHale's boys, good enough for Shipwreck, good enough for The Sand Pebbles...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, the flight deck is made up of non-skid.
It shreds up pants in short order.
At the time of the photo most of the pants the flight deck crew wears were used DRMO pants.
There was no requrement for color or blousing of pants.
It's the shirt color that matters.

These days they use dark blue 5 pocket tactical pants.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they randomly pull their clothes out of a communal bin?

No, the flight deck is made up of non-skid.
It shreds up pants in short order.
At the time of the photo most of the pants the flight deck crew wears were used DRMO pants.
There was no requrement for color or blousing of pants.
It's the shirt color that matters.

These days they use dark blue 5 pocket tactical pants.

So they did pull those pants out of a bin.

I can see the thinking behind using  DRMO stuff. Replacing them with issue pants that don't have knee reinforcements, not so much.
The change probably made sense on a PowerPoint slide somewhere.

If it was up to me, they would replace the color blue in the camo for blaze orange.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the looks of it but the idea is stupid.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Much gayness with the blueberries.  Shipboard wear should be medium grey BDU's, boots bloused and ballcaps.  White nametags for enlisted, gold for CPO and officer.  Some asshat Admiral wanted another star, so he got the idea to "modernize" the seabag- again.

EDIT: Coveralls for shipboard wear as personal choice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Back when I was a young lad, we wore dungarees with either the Dixie Cup or Ball Cap.  I liked the dungarees with the ball cap when I had to wear a hat.  We tried the Utilities, but they didn't breath well and I hated them.  Loved the foul weather jackets.   I don't remember people outside of the engine room wearing coveralls.  I was a MM that worked on deck (Unrep equipment) and we were always covered in dirt, oil, grease, rust, etc.  Other than inspections I don't recall any talks about how dirty/stained our clothes were.

During Unreps I was on the winch decks and I didn't wear a life jacket.  The guys that were on our main deck getting the bombs ready to pass all wore life jackets.  I don't remember if the guys on the big ships wore life jackets during Unreps, but I'm sure the guys on destroyers, fuel ships, and other AEs, all wore life jackets.

We only had one man go over the side at sea.  We were doing refresher training getting ready to go overseas again.  A guy had just gotten married and said he was not going to leave his new bride.  While we were at sea he stood up on the rail of the ship and jumped..."Man Overboard!"  We recovered him alive.  He didn't go overseas with us.  He was still in the Brig when we got back.

I remember being tied alongside another ship one time.  The other ship would not let us cross their ship in jeans (Levies, Lee, Wranglers, etc.) to go on liberty because they were too much like dungarees.  I hated that kind of BS!  Zummy tried to make it better for us, but it didn't last.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did it also replace the Johnny Cash?  Because I see the blueberries in places I where I wouldn't have expected to see dungarees.

View Quote

The Navy made the NWUs a working uniform, not organizational clothing so Sailors and Officers had to buy the uniforms.  Sailors did get a uniform allowance for the purchase.  

When the uniform debuted, the Navy restricted the wearing such that it the NWU was equivalent to coveralls, only I think you could commute in NWUs, but not stop for gas/groceries/day care pickup, etc.

Sailors and Officers stopped buying the uniform because they couldn't wear it anywhere.  Between the backlash from not being allowed to wear NWUs and the inventory backlog building up at the NEX, big Navy not only allowed commuting, but encouraged commands to allow the wear of NWUs in places where working uniforms were not previously worn.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 Some asshat Admiral wanted another star, so he got the idea to "modernize" the seabag- again.
View Quote

Sorry, but thanks for playing.

Task Force Uniform, which came up with the NWU abomination, based its choice largely on the input of junior Sailors, most of whom were no longer in service by the time the NWU was implemented.  The only Flag level asshattery was listening to the input of junior Sailors.

That said, while most of the officers I knew were not happy about the shift to NWUs, most now enjoy wearing them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Did it also replace the Johnny Cash?

View Quote

Black & Tan replaced both the johnny cash and working whites.

Great uniform, btw.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was going to ask about that, and if they had something like a Reflective Belt or vest to be worn for the Deck Apes to make them visible if they go overboard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.....another great idea! Works so well that when the sailors fall over board we can't even see them in the water!

I was going to ask about that, and if they had something like a Reflective Belt or vest to be worn for the Deck Apes to make them visible if they go overboard

I was in during the dungaree days. I think our guy was probably wearing coveralls when he went over. The helo only saw him once. You're most likely gonna go down pretty quickly and I don't think what color you're wearing will matter much. Hopefully someone will see you enough to get a ring to you and you'll reach it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You gotta be camouflaged while scrapping barnacles and scrubbing toilets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhioeOeOHsA

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#14]
They should be black and brown to hide the oil and shit stains.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, FPDI.

First Post Derps It.

The fact that people keep repeating the "can't see the man overboard" meme, now that's retarded.

Not only was the old school Navy work uniform blue, but the blue camo pattern is one of a family that included woodland and desert, and we have repeatedly had people explain to us here that even a blaze orange uniform isn't going to do much to make a person easier to see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.....another great idea! Works so well that when the sailors fall over board we can't even see them in the water!

FPNI....

Most retarded thing ever done by the US Navy.... and that really says something.

No, FPDI.

First Post Derps It.

The fact that people keep repeating the "can't see the man overboard" meme, now that's retarded.

Not only was the old school Navy work uniform blue, but the blue camo pattern is one of a family that included woodland and desert, and we have repeatedly had people explain to us here that even a blaze orange uniform isn't going to do much to make a person easier to see.

If anyone listens to anything in this thread, that should be it.
I'm wearing a set of Navy Working Uniform Type III as I type this.
Compared to a standard set of woodlands, it's got velcro all over the place, velcro covers, still all the buttons, missing the bottom two blouse pockets, added upper arms pockets and lower trouser pockets, a slip-on rank insignia, a markedly better weight than both summers and winters, a marginally better fit, better and better arranged belt loops, and marginally better pocket positioning and design.

Blues are the 'same', but not the same. I'd rather have the old woodlands and deserts, and the light/dark blue 'business casual' working uniform. The only thing digitals are better at is hiding the dirt, wear, paint spots, etc (it's a working uniform, and can be periodically turned in for a replacement, even if it's just faded due to the sun). IMO, the woodland specs could have been done with digital cloth, and it would have saved a bunch of money. Shit, could have even just ran dark navy blue cloth through the same process as the woodlands to make a non-camouflage blue uniform.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Now imagine that those ol' crusty boots are being worn by the NWU dude, and the blackened&buffed boots are peeking out from under the paint infested coveralls.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm fine with it as a working uniform (ie people doing work), but it looks out of place in an office/classroom.  I also hate scrubs on people that work desks, and flightsuits on people that aren't actively working on/in an aircraft.
View Quote

Half it.
Depending on what you wore with and how you wore the Johnny Cash uniform, it could have been either a working uniform or a service uniform. The working part went the way of the dodo, and was replaced by the NWU TYPE I.

The service portion was absorbed into the halfkhakis/peanutbutters, or Navy Service Uniform (NSU):

ETA: Same with the Ice Cream Man uniform.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Great uniform, btw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great uniform, btw.

Except I would have preferred the grey shirt of the test variant to preserve khaki for the E-7 and above.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Worst Navy uniform ever! Plus it's like wearing a burlap sack.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Welcome to East Germany.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Makes perfect sense when viewed in that context!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No homo, but what kinda shoes are those? I want
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No homo, but what kinda shoes are those? I want

They are an undetermined model of Vans Sk8 Hi sneakers.

I want them, too.

ETA: Limited edition, out of production.

Fuck. My absolute limit on Vans is $80, I'm not going to pony up for what is now a collector's shoe.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#23]

It's real retarded, Sir.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I miss the old pickle suits
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Dungarees sucked.

The new NWUs are much better...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#27]
The blue digital camo?

Really like it. First saw it down at San antonio when my step son graduated af basic.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

These..? I hated them ..
Very happy when we were issued 6 color desert BDUs.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dungarees were comfortable, but the patch pockets sucked and if they got too much of a "fleet" look you'd be gigged and have to buy new ones.  Who here has heard of having an "inspection ready working uniform?" What a ridiculous concept. Plus we all looked like extras from the Shawshank Redemption.  The utilities were even worse and then I transitioned to a unit that wore BDU's and they were great.  So a BDU cut uniform, no matter the pattern, is nautical miles better than the previous ones.
View Quote

Although I'm not the biggest fan of the color(s), I do prefer the BDU over the dungarees/utilities.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#30]
If I fell into the water, I wouldn't want to blend in with the water.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great uniform, btw.

Peanut butters.

(My opinion) Looks too much like the Chief's uniform.

It does stay clean and does not show dirt.

The sailors I work with like it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

These..? I hated them ..

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/coyotegray/Image3_zpsf56fd57f.jpg

Uniform of the day in Antarctica.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's what your float coat is for.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
These..? I hated them ..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

These..? I hated them ..

Yeah I was actually happy to get the BDU's when we switched

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, my white Float Coat shouldn't get dirty.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You would want a red float coat

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would want a red float coat

Lol!  I would prefer being able to count to 4.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I always thought camo that looks like wind whipped seas would be a bad idea on a boat in wind whipped seas.
I have never been in any branch of any military, but fuck that seems like a bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#39]
No.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I love how we have so many authorities on ocean safety commenting from land locked states
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
These..? I hated them ..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These..? I hated them ..

The older cotton ones with the patch front pockets on the pants were very comfortable, had a few sets but had to replace them with the newer poly blend uniform as they wore out. They were a pretty good work uniform, I especially liked having short sleeves in the summer instead of rolled long sleeves.
They were a horrible field uniform, and fat guys hated them because it didn't hide the gut like BDUs did.

ETA: Me sometime in 1988

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#43]
The new field uniform is great.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top