User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It signals a disconnect what your damn job is as a Soldier/Airman/ SEAL/Marine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't take video and don't tell war stories.

How about don't post the video on youtube the week after it happens? I for one am happy to have lots of pictures and videos of stuff (good and bad) that happened, so when I am 80 years old I can still know what friends looked like and remember some of the things that happened.

edit- I won't fault someone for trying to make a few $$ off of something that they do as long as it doesn't hurt anyone (except Bin Ladens face)

"Shuffle off this mortal coil. It's nothing you wouldn't do to us."

The press isn't your friend, nor is anyone who misconstrues a situation due to lack of context, let alone someone in a position of authority who feels the need to cover his ass once something gets noticed. There's nothing wrong with taking photos with your buddies.

I think it signals a disconnect between the media, the country, and our military. Why can I turn on netflix right now and watch a documentary showing dead US soldiers, dead insurgents, and raw combat footage, yet service-members are called glory hounds or opsec violators for posting personal pictures or video (unless it is divulging weaknesses. In that case throw the book at them)? I want people to see the harsh reality of combat, or in this case, I want them to see UBL with his head blown apart which is the whole reason we went into Afghanistan in the first place.

Do I think a soldier who commits a war-crime on video should be punished? Yes. Do I think we should just censor every single thing we do for the sake of keeping it hidden? No.

It signals a disconnect what your damn job is as a Soldier/Airman/ SEAL/Marine.

huh? Are you trying to say that you can't do your job if you take pictures and video? That video of an M1 rolling through Baghdad engaging armor and dismounts was filmed by setting a camera on top of the turret. Those guys were sure able to do their job while filming. I bet the crew and guys in the unit also appreciated having that footage to be able to watch and remember.

edit- here is the video for reference

thunder run
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What fun is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What fun is that?

More fun than buying lawyers.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What fun is that?

Someone simply read the statement and understood it. Amazing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

huh? Are you trying to say that you can't do your job if you take pictures and video?

View Quote

No, I'm saying we are sent there to do a specific job. In this instance kill UBL, not write a book, make a movie, give an interview. Especially because you felt like what someone said, in this case the President, was wrong or a lie.

It applies moreso to SOF who can have sensitive missions but may apply to conventional forces as well. What the President wants to say should not concern you.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I recall that the book was written to dispell bullshit from the administration.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No, I'm saying we are sent there to do a specific job. In this instance kill UBL, not write a book, make a movie, give an interview. Especially because you felt like what someone said, in this case the President, was wrong or a lie.

It applies moreso to SOF who can have sensitive missions but may apply to conventional forces as well. What the President wants to say should not concern you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh? Are you trying to say that you can't do your job if you take pictures and video?

I get where you are coming from and certain things should not be publicly shared (mainly to protect national security). My comments were mainly directed towards the "don't take video or war stories" comment from Rictus and that I feel it doesn't apply in a lot of situations.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

pretty sure is was mainly written to make loads of money
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

And even if it was meant to "set the record straight" that isn't his call either.  If your job is classified and you're in one of those plausible deniability gigs where maybe alot of what you do or don't do gets spun for other means, or the "official" story is maybe not exactly how it went down, you don't get to decide when you need to publicly "set the record straight."  It's part of the job, act accordingly.  Those decisions are above your pay grade.  Don't like it, don't take the job.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Folks don't understand what you're saying or what they're seeing due to a terminal lack of reference, so it's a waste of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What fun is that?

Folks don't understand what you're saying or what they're seeing due to a terminal lack of reference, so it's a waste of time.

explain it in more detail.
If you frame the information in the proper manner, you will have educated someone and helped them see the world a bit more fully.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you frame the information in the proper manner, you will have educated someone and helped them see the world a bit more fully.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What fun is that?

we wouldnt understand the context, or something like that

sorry, couldnt resist.  but really, whats the deal?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I sign NDAS with all the defense contractors that I work for, backed by threat of criminal prosecution if I disclose sensitive info.
My policy is to leave work at work.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

NDAs cover you even when you get out.

I'm out, and am still covered by an NDA.....and the NDA is for shit you can find on the Internet anyway..... So I'd imagine he's covered times infinity for this stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he was out of the Navy while doing the speeches, then I don't see a problem.

NDAs cover you even when you get out.

I'm out, and am still covered by an NDA.....and the NDA is for shit you can find on the Internet anyway..... So I'd imagine he's covered times infinity for this stuff.

There things in some NDA's that specifically state words like "felony" and xx years that you are vorboten from discussing.  If you sign them, don't be surprised when the man comes around.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What fun is that?

By Jove, I think you've got it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yea, no shit. Webb, seems like a good dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FWIW... After a chat with one of his instructors and a teammate at DEVGRU. I asked him if Bissonette was squared away, or if the guy was a turd "Brandon Webb" style.

His reply was "he (Bissonette) is a stud".

Whats the deal with Webb?

Yea, no shit. Webb, seems like a good dude.

Based on what experiences?  He's been called out several times, especially after his "I'm going to fix the NRA, vote for me, I'm a SEAL." stunts.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Explain your job and who it is with in more detail.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sign NDAS with all the defense contractors that I work for, backed by threat of criminal prosecution if I disclose sensitive info.

Are you kidding? I don't have time for that shit.

Honestly, my work is so boring that you'd commit seppuku to stop hearing about it. My wife is thrilled to never hear about work.
I do try to answer questions when asked, without breaking the NDAs or causing suicides.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bingo.

And even if it was meant to "set the record straight" that isn't his call either.  If your job is classified and you're in one of those plausible deniability gigs where maybe alot of what you do or don't do gets spun for other means, or the "official" story is maybe not exactly how it went down, you don't get to decide when you need to publicly "set the record straight."  It's part of the job, act accordingly.  Those decisions are above your pay grade.  Don't like it, don't take the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

Who knows if the article is true, but it states that SEALs were encouraged by the SecDef to collaborate with the makers of "zero dark thirty". That was when Bassionette (sp) decided he was going to write the book.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Who knows if the article is true, but it states that SEALs were encouraged by the SecDef to collaborate with the makers of "zero dark thirty". That was when Bassionette (sp) decided he was going to write the book.
View Quote

Again, that doesn't matter.  Just because you are told you can reveal some information to a set of individuals doesn't mean you are now in the clear to write your own tell all book.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Not applicable, since he wasn't infantry....
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cop threads so popular in GD area great example. Someone, at some point, is going to read into things with a lack of perspective. They may be in a position to go 15-6, fail to grasp the enemy's IO efforts, might want to nurse a grudge they have against your type, could stand to benefit professionally by championing a cause, or they may just stop thinking of you and your folks as decent people. Perhaps they think your exploits are really cool and tell their friends, with the story getting better every time it's told. Some may be made uncomfortable by you after that, either because they can't get a particular detail out of their heads or because they feel that your story eclipses the one they want to tell. None of this is in any way beneficial and the more public such disclosures become, the less beneficial they are. If you write a book and speak publicly about the details of your very specific experience, expect to be called upon to officially justify your position and activities at some point.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]
A former Seal Team 6 member and author of the  book in question is doing a book signing at a gunshop in Scottsdale, Az on Nov 8.  The hype says "he was the first to enter Bin Laden's room, but doesn't claim he was the one who "engaged him".  They're selling a commemorative AR all duded up for $5k-$10k depending on the accessories chosen. I didn't study the written material in detail so I present a disclaimer in that regard.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I recall correctly he wanted to donate the profits from the book to charity but his offers were refused.

I don't think they are going after him because he might have put out compromising info. They are going after him because he was critical of the president and described him as a liar. If he had written the book and had nothing but good things about our glorious leader, then I think he would get a pass.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm so super secret I wrote a book and give motivational speeches.

Turn in your cellphones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NYTimes.com

A former member of the Navy SEALs who wrote a best seller about the raid that killed Osama bin Laden is under criminal investigation for possibly disclosing classified material, according to federal officials and his lawyer.

The lawyer for the former SEALs member, Matt Bissonnette, said the investigation was focused on whether Mr. Bissonnette had disclosed classified information in the book “No Easy Day,” published under a pseudonym in 2012. But other people familiar with the inquiry said investigators seemed more interested in paid speeches that Mr. Bissonnette, who says he was one of the members of the Navy’s SEAL Team 6 who shot Bin Laden, gave at corporate events.

They include at least one talk last year, at a golf club in Atlanta, in which audience members were asked to turn in their cellphones before he spoke so that nothing could be recorded, according to people who attended the event.

News found at FSD - http://www.full-spectrum-dominance.com/
I'm so super secret I wrote a book and give motivational speeches.

Turn in your cellphones.

It's to help make the people feel like their $500 a seat speech was worth it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#29]
This video explains everything.

Video
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I agree. It's rude and inconsiderate of Rictus not to write his memoir. He owes us a book. We send guys off to war out of the goodness of our hearts, and then the ingrates clam up when they come home. Why the hell else do we fund a military? Without books and movies, it's like Bin Laden died for nothing.

Maybe if Rictus were more like you (popular, universally praised for communications skills, humbleness and an open mind), he'd have the confidence to put on a show like you do. Alas, he's the opposite of you, and leaves you with the burden of ranting and pacing the stage. You're the real hero, Sheep. Keep fighting for the entertainment we're entitled to. I, for one, thank you for your service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You clearly can't reference the context.

Man's greatest tool is communication, the ability of man to share experience and knowledge with man. Your failure to effectively communicate is not my problem, or the problem of people in general. I have not climbed Mt. Everest, or driven in an F1 race, or sat atop a rocket. Neither have you. But the experience can be and has been communicated to us. Surprisingly, a large number of people throughout the ages have effectively communicated their experiences in combat as well. I'm thankful that arrogance and cynicism does not stop all people who have different experiences in life from attempting to communicate those experiences with me.

I agree. It's rude and inconsiderate of Rictus not to write his memoir. He owes us a book. We send guys off to war out of the goodness of our hearts, and then the ingrates clam up when they come home. Why the hell else do we fund a military? Without books and movies, it's like Bin Laden died for nothing.

Maybe if Rictus were more like you (popular, universally praised for communications skills, humbleness and an open mind), he'd have the confidence to put on a show like you do. Alas, he's the opposite of you, and leaves you with the burden of ranting and pacing the stage. You're the real hero, Sheep. Keep fighting for the entertainment we're entitled to. I, for one, thank you for your service.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:47:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Pentagon warns SEAL not to do interview. LINK
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top